Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)

Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  29 reviews
After previous assignments in London, the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, and the Australian rain forest, this final adventure in the Hunchback Assignments series finds our hero, shape-shifting, masked spy Modo, on his most personal quest. Along with fellow spy Octavia Milkweed, they search for Modo's biological parents. But when the Clockwork Guild find Modo's parents first...more
Published September 11th 2012 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Island of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island of Doom

Linda
This is the 4th book in the Hunchback Assignments series and supposedly the final book. Please let it not be so! I love this series. This title was not as good as the previous one, "Empire of Ruins", but it still was fantastic. The series is set in Victorian England, circa 1870.

In this book the Clockwork Guild are building bigger and more horrible experiments in their race to control the world. They now have a lab hidden away on a Pacific Island. Modo, the deformed boy who is able to change his...more
Alan
Nicola Mansfield
The final book in this series is a splendid, rollicking adventure. Almost every kind of derring-do meets our favourite team of 'Tavia and Modo as they travel from Montreal, Canada to France then London and end up on a South Pacific Island. A mixture of steampunk and Frankenstein meet with the horrid collection of human and steel warriors vs super creatures sewn together from parts of corpses and enlivened by the maternal blood of Modo. Even though it has been a year since last reading about Modo...more
Morgan Oats
I was very critical of this book for a few reasons. I had just come off of reading books like the Lord of the Rings series which have their own standard; I hadn't read the series for months now and I had lost some interest in the story, and I just don't think the writing is very high caliber. All that being said, at the end of the day I like this book just as I like this series. Arthur Slade may not be a J.R.R. Tolkien, but he knows how to create a good story.

In this conclusion to the Hunchback...more
Amy Lignor
For those who have not followed this incredible series, Modo is a young man who was born with a deformity, and has the power to change his face and body in order to become a different person at will - which definitely comes in handy in his work as an agent for ‘The Permanent Association’ - which is a group whose job is to protect Britannia.

Through three previous adventures, Modo has found himself in many situations - from the mean streets of London to the Atlantic Ocean to the rain forest in Au...more
Linsey
It took me all four books to discover what bugged me about these books. They were written ok following general grammar, spelling, punctuation, and not using too many adverbs. The problem was more subtle. The author disobeys "Show, don't tell" the entire time. This series seems like a summary of the adventures of Modo.

It happens in the large scale. I thought the idea behind using steampunk and the hunchback of Notre Dame was interesting, but it doesn't stay interesting. The characters don't seem...more
Jack Baillot
The final book in the Hunchback Assignments finds Modo and Octivia traveling to France in search of the parents who abandoned him as a baby. They are also determined to stop the Clockwork Guild once and for all.

Though this book didn't surpass the third as my favourite - eh, what can I say I like stories with airship battles - it is now the second favourite in the series. Modo is more grown up in this one and willing to question about whether what he is doing is right or wrong. And I was please...more
Evan
WOW! What an amazing final installment. Seriously, give this book a whirl. It will BLOW YOUR MIND! The shape-shifting hero, Modo, and his companions, Octavia Milkweed, Colette Brunet, Tharpa, Mr. Socrates, Oppie Entwistle, Ester McGravin are about to make one final assault on the clockwork guild, and stop them for good. The amazing writing, the nonstop action, and the sheer scale of it makes this book a hit.
Arthur Slade has also added a few new characters, such as Footman, Cook, Typhon, Lime an...more
Rachel
Ok yes, I'm a little sad that this is the last book in "The Hunchback Assignment" series, but the good news is the author is trying to make a continuation story about Modo and Octavia called "Modo: Ember's End," and is a steampunk Wild West adventure. Check out the series website for more info and to help fund the project: http://www.hunchbackassignments.com/. I think it would be awesome.

In this volume, Modo and Octavia are on the search for Modo's parents, with the help of Colette (the French...more
Barbara
I enjoyed how the ending was but there is a cliff hanger. One of the new players isn't remotely dead and that person rows off into their next adventure. Possible new series? Hmmmmmmm... Mr. Slander, what are you up to?
Rose
I like this book but I didn’t love it. Yes, it had that same adventure with my favorite characters but for some reason I felt that Modo and Octavia were a bit off. I still can see how this book fits in with the others but to say this…this book is the final installment was a slight let down. I ordered this book from Canada because I was so excited and anxious to read it before the US release. Maybe my expectations were too high and this book didn't reach it...

I wanted fireworks but all I got was...more
Emily Ann
I didn't like this one as much as the others.
Clara Thompson
Arthur Slade created a loveable and inspiring character in Modo, and I was caught up in the hunchback's life as soon as I started the first book. But, unfortunately, the author didn't deliver at all in the last book, The Island of Doom. Nothing happened the way I wanted it to...in fact, nothing happened at all. By the end of the book, we're back at square 1 and nothing has been accomplished in Modo's life other than the fact that he is an incredible spy. I wanted this book to be good, but it jus...more
luvmaisha
All I have to say was that it was an absolutely awesome. Modo discovers who his parents are and where he comes from and the Permanent Association finally locate the Clockwork Guild's base and face them down. The plot was rapidly developing, exciting, and parts of it were really shocking. The ending came as such a surprise I don't even know what to say. Definitely a must read.
Maya
Yay!!! Finally there is another one. Ill wait forever for this book if I have too. I have to read it. OMG!! Whats going to happen? It better be a happy or at least a satisfying conclusion or else I'm going to be expecting another one. And if there isn't another one I'm going to cry.
Amanda
Jan 14, 2014 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults, fans of steam punk
Shelves: favorites
I am so glad this had a decent ending. Arthur Slade has not yet disappointed me with one of his books. I almost wish there were some companion novels that follow Modo. I do recommend this series to anyone that enjoys young adult steam punk fiction.
Cory Beatty
This might be the best book of a terrific series. I'd encourage anyone to read it. I certainly wish it was around when I was a reluctant young reader. High adventure, literary glimpses, and just great fun!
Ipek Tashkin
I thought it was a thrilling conclusion to such s great series. I was expecting Modo to be with his mother and marry Octavia, but it did not happen. I was sad when Collete died, she was such a good character.
Reade
I loved how Arthur Slade wrapped up this series. Resolved, but with some sharp lessons learned along the way. Not quite what I expected, which is good. This may be my favorite book of the series.
Elise
May 28, 2014 Elise added it
Good ending, keeps the readers wondering what will happen to Modo and Octavia
Niall
A fitting end to the excellent Hunchback Assignments as the plots and threads of the first three books are neatly brought together in this final instalment.
Ashleigh
A perfect end to a fantastic series! I would be happy to read many more books about Modo and Octavia; good thing there's a graphic novel coming out!
Lilly
Great book, the ending was a bit of a surprise, not exactly what I would've liked it to be.
Britt, Book Habitue
For some reason I just didn't love this one as much as the others.
Christina
3.5 stars Hope we see Modo & Tavia down the road someday.
Elsa
Just enough of an open end to leave room for more.
Heath
Exciting finish to the series. Very enjoyable.
Antje Hergt
I'd love to see more adventures...
PWRL
Nov 15, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Brian Hadley
Brian Hadley marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
What is your favourite book in this series and why? 1 5 Jul 16, 2012 09:00AM
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • Liberator (Worldshaker, #2)
  • Fiddlehead (The Clockwork Century, #5)
  • Breath of Iron (Clockwork Agents, #3)
  • Doktor Glass
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • From the Deep of the Dark (Jackelian, #6)
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Fox and Phoenix (Long City, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • God Emperor of Didcot (Chronicles of Isambard Smith, #2)
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • Aftershock (H.I.V.E., #7)
  • The True Adventures of Nicolo Zen
  • Crimson Rising (Skyship Academy #2)
  • The Triumph of Death (Alex Van Helsing, #3)
Arthur Slade was raised in the Cypress Hills of southwest Saskatchewan and began writing at an early age. He received an English Honours degree from the University of Saskatchewan, spent several years writing advertising and now writes fiction full time. He is the author of the "Canadian Chills" series of books, "Dust" (which won the Governor General's award), "Tribes," and "Jolted." He currently...more
More about Arthur Slade...
The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1) Dust The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2) Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3) Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival