Start by marking “The Tell-Tale Art: Poe in Modern Popular Culture” as Want to Read:
The Tell-Tale Art: Poe in Modern Popular Culture

The Tell-Tale Art: Poe in Modern Popular Culture

1.75 of 5 stars 1.75  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Greed and guilt, near-indecipherable codes, murder plots born of madness--these motifs drive the best modern mysteries, but they are rooted in the early nineteenth century and the carefully constructed fiction of Edgar Allan Poe. Poe's methods of storytelling and suspense remain relevant, reappearing in detective novels and on screens large and small. This work examines a ...more
Published November 19th 2011 by McFarland & Company (first published October 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Tell-Tale Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tell-Tale Art

Lostshadows
When I got the message I'd been selected to review this book, I was very happy. I love Edgar Allen Poe's work and the subject sounded interesting. Long story short, I really wanted to like this book.

There are elements I do like. Some of the insights into how Poe's work has influenced popular culture seem spot on and informative. I personally really enjoyed the comparison between Hitchcock's Vertigo and "The Fall of the House of Usher."

Unfortunately, there were too many instances where the text s
Alyssa Archambo
As individual essays about the themes found in modern-day mystery/thriller works and Poe's writings, this book may have worked. However, as a book with a supposed overarching theme of the influence that Poe has had in modern popular culture, it falls very flat.

While nobody can deny Poe's influence, Jackson discusses less about the direct connections between Poe and modern day works and more about common themes to be found in all of them. Some of this may be a direct influence from Poe, I thought
Mirrani
I was very excited to get this book as a part of the Early Reviewers program on LibraryThing, as I was hoping for an honest, in-depth look at how our modern society has been influenced by the writings of Poe. What I ended up finding were long descriptions of modern television shows and sort of hazy stretches between what Poe once wrote and what we do today. Sometimes I felt there was not enough time spent on a topic, others I felt it was talked to death.

While there were some points that I could
Alita Mcintyre
Alita Mcintyre marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Caroline Christine
Caroline Christine marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2012
Kevin Likes
Kevin Likes marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2012