Start by marking “The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks ” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks

The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,445 ratings  ·  266 reviews
Josh's first stand-alone novel. His romantic weekend in ruins, shy twenty-something artist Perry Foster learns that things can always get worse when he returns home from San Francisco to find a dead body in his bathtub. A dead body in a very ugly sportscoat -- and matching socks. The dead man is a stranger to Perry, but that's not much of a comfort; how did a strange dead ...more
Published (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks

Blacky *Romance Addict*

A spooky house

A ghost/dead body

Yellow socks

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Two guys solving the mystery

=

Awesome book with awesome writing and awesome mystery!

The writing...
I really loved it, especially the mystery part because this guy can WRITE!
It's witty and clever, funny and so intriguing, I couldn't wait to find out who the bad guy is :)

The romance part... Hmm it is the reason I'm giving it 4 instead of 5 stars :(
The chemistry is GREAT between them, really is, and that part I liked, but then when they hooked up... For
Abbie
3.5 “...not right in the head.” stars.
Sherlock Holmes kissing
Foster gulped out more vehemently, “There’s a dead man in my bathtub!”
Dead silence. Another burst of televised laughter. Someone tittered nervously.

Perry Foster comes home early from his holiday and finds a dead body in his bathtub, wearing yellow - goldenrod - coloured socks. He freaks out and finds a mysterious figure entering the lobby...

Nick can't wait to leave Vermont, applying for a private investigating job. But when a dead body is found in Perry's ba
Susan

I wanted to love this book...

It is, Josh Lanyon, after all. And the reviews have been so glowing and I’ve kinda been saving it for a day when I needed a good read.

Unfortunately, it only just sorta-kinda worked for me. I did love Perry Foster, the sweet, asthmatic, but strong-willed young MC. He is one of those endearing characters that you want to hug and take care of and just…to be happy.

The problem is…the rest of the book.

For the first 2/3 of the book Nick Reno, former Navy SEAL, grouchy, bris
Lena♥Ribka

Between 3, 5 and 4 stars!

I feel a relief and great happiness when I look at my Josh Lanyon's to-read list! I am not at the end of it, thanks God! Still I have to use these precious resources very sparingly. And not to forget, I can always start to re-read his books.

His prose is like a glass of fine wine in a nice company after a long work day.

Always good, sometimes excellent, sometimes pleasant, sometimes WOW, but ALWAYS good, always a RECOMMENDED READ.
I like his writing and I knew that I'm
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This is the cutest story I've ever read. This book has a real cinematic quality, for me reading it was like being in a theater and watching the movie.

At the beginning of the story we meet Perry at his worst: he's coming back from an unfortunate romantic trip, he's exhausted and the discovery of the corpse in his tub brings him an asthma attack. Enters Nick, the ex Navy Seal, who just can't help remarking how delicate and helpless (and queer) Perry is. Exits the corpse. Was it Perry's imagination
Deeze
I really enjoyed this book.

The focus of this story is the mystery, and there is plenty of that going on. As well as the main mystery there are a few side ones going on too.

The cast is a rag tag of people all with there own little secrets.

Perry is a wonderful character. He is both sweet and innocent, yet strong and sure of himself.

Nick is strong and gruff, with a heart that’s soft as butter, but he hides it so well lol.

This is a very slow romance. Our hero’s don’t really get together until muc
Sofia

Well Lanyon is a Lanyon, is a Lanyon, nothing more to say on that score.

This was an easy flowing read. I wish that such easy was not so difficult to come across.

I liked the 'old haunted manor' atmosphere pervading the whole book, almost expected Scooby Doo and Shaggy to pop out of the rain.

Loved the reluctant, cynical Nick, his observations were stringent, to the point and often cutting. He seemed to be always so sure in his opinions and the path he was going to follow. It warmed my heart to se
Richard
Perry, Perry Perry! My favorite Josh Lanyon character. This had been my favorite Josh Lanyon book but I recenlty read The Parting Glass and it moved to #1.

I still love you Perry!
Jan
Moss really wanted me to try this author, but somehow I ended up adding each book she reviewed to my tbr, and it was Michelle's review of this that convinced me to actually read a Josh Lanyon. That and how much I liked the sample. The opening chapter really shows off what was best about this book. Perry's cuteness and sense of humor while dealing with murder and mayhem, the creepiness of the house and the wackiness of the neighbors.

Michelle raved about how cute Perry and Nick were, and they were

Some men charm with flowers, chocolates, and a smile, but Josh Lanyon knows the way to disarm, court, and steal my heart is with murder. Once again Mr. Lanyon’s words pulled me into a world filled with mystery, mayhem, romance, humor, and yes—dead bodies! :D

The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks has readers delving into a dead-man-in-the-bathtub old school mystery chock full of surprises, spooks, twists, turns, and Scooby Doo style chaos and fun. We are introduced to an apartment building of loonies, but t
Nina
Josh Lanyon is going down.

No, wait, that sounds bad.
In my eyes. He's going down in my eyes. Because I used to think he was a literary demigod descended upon the world of M/M to make it a brighter place, but nah.

This is not a bad book, don't get me wrong. I was my first JL, and there are reasons why I loved it.
Like the fact that the MC is an adorable fluffnugget. Okay, he's a little clingy, he's a little dramatic, and he has a natural inclination towards hero worship, but we're all flawed.
Oh, and
JR
My first Josh Lanyon book and it won't be the last. I love a good mystery and this one delivered in spades. I also adore grumpy, "I'm not going to do this, I'll never fall in love, not my type" lead characters. Nick Reno is that character and Perry Foster is the one he'll never fall for. Perry is a struggling artist, coming back from a disappointing vacation in which he hope to be with the love of his life. Nick is an ex S.E.A.L, who is hostility personified. What follows is a very tight, well ...more
Kati
That was great, up there with Lanyon's "Adrien English Mysteries" and "Snowball in Hell". I love those closed-societies, who-dun-it mysteries. And this one was all that and more, with the old house and secret passages and peeping Toms and crazy old ladies... And I also loved Nick and Perry and the way they got together, that it was Perry who showed a real backbone in the end and didn't allow Nick to just walk away. Awesome!
Natasha
4.5 stars of awesome Lanyon verbiage. Delicious. I eat this shit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sometimes even snacks. And it's low in carbs and high in sugar. Yum yum. Part of your well balanced diet.

What am I even talking about?

How am I allowed to write reviews?
This book was awesome and I really loved it. Love me some ex-SEAL and some cutie Bambi twink. Lie-kit.
Steelwhisper
Re-read this, as I am fan-girling on Josh Lanyon currently, and this book was one of my very first m/m-romances--read as a paperback, no less. If you enter the fray on such a fare it is no wonder that the sights get set high.

In hindsight I agree that Josh was still channelling a bit too much Chandler and not enough Lanyon with this, but I can't be bothered to give it any lesser rating. I might prefer the easy Lanyon prose of e.g. The Dark Farewell, but this one gets way over 5 stars already on i
Jennifer☠Pher☠
That my friends is what we call a SLOW BURN...so freaking worth it. Yes, I am a sucker for a ghost story, an old house and of course the geek and the strong. My love for Josh Lanyon just keeps growing. A great whodunnit and a sweet, slow...romance.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Omg, let me just say that I love Perry. He's so cute with his asthma and his bambi eyes that I want to kidnap him and if Nick wants to come find Perry, that's cool because I want Nick, too!! Lol

Perry comes home after his trip to San Fran was cut short only to find a dead man in his bathtub. Racing downstairs, he runs straight into Nick, his neighbor and ex-Navy SEAL. When Nick goes to check out Perry's apartment, there's no dead body but some odd evidence. The evidence, however, is gone when the
The Flooze
Oh. My. God. How freakin' cute are these two? Loved it!

Coming off of a mediocre piece of UF, I needed fun, brisk, and engaging. Josh Lanyon knows how to deliver just that.

Within just the first ten pages, he deftly gives us the lay of the land. A corpse with questionable fashion taste, an eerily quiet and isolated old mansion, and a host of eccentric residents add up to absolute mayhem.

Amidst all the madness stand Perry Foster and Nick Reno--a level-headed and unexpectedly well-matched pair.

Lan
Natalie
This was one of the only Josh Lanyon books I hadn't yet read, and it turned out to be my favorite of them all. I loved the characters, the setting, the sweet slow-burn tension, the marvelously romantic ending. Wonderful in every way.
Heller
Why do I not read more Josh Lanyon? I've enjoyed every thing I've read from him, I will definitely make it my mission to go read more of his backlist!

This is not so much a romance as it is a mystery and it was so much fun to read it and try to determine what was happening at the Alton Estate. It's very different from the usual M/M books I've been reading lately, there's an attraction between the MC's but the focus is definitely more on the solving of the mystery.

Excellent story here with crazy
Ilhem
“The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks” is my second encounter with Lanyon characters.

I liked the atmosphere of this closed door intrigue: an old house in Vermont, an eccentric household, winter and an investigation on the background of unsolved mysteries of the ‘30s.
I surrendered without any struggle to Perry’s fawn like charm and watched like a hawk the development of his relationship with gruff Nick as they took their sweet time. I smiled at the welcomed familiarity of Perry’s inner strength and Nick’
Ami
This time Josh Lanyon use 3rd person POV (and I was used to his 1st person POV in Adrien English' series) -- and it's a really good because I can read both of the main characters' feeling. The murder mystery is good, it has sort of Agatha Christie's feel to it. A body that disappears, a story of the "old days", with secret passages in the house. Interesting. And of course, the love story between Perry and Nick is beautiful. I can feel the chemistry and the emotion pouring from the pages.

Funny, I
Bookwatcher
There are already so many reviews, so I think it's unnecessary to add a long review. It's an amazing book? yeah, it's a Josh Lanyon story... this is equal quality of writing and perfect timing, because yes, it's a mystery, but also a very sweet and unexpected romance.
I think that's why I love this story so much... I must admit I was hoping it would be also a romance, but complete forgot about it, trying to discover with the main characters what the hell is happening, and why dead bodies were in
Breann
Here it is, folks! My favorite Lanyon. I've read my fair share of Lanyon and this, by far, is my favorite.

Honestly, if you're not listening to the audio of this you're doing yourself a disservice. Max's narration was dead on for every character. Every. Single. One. It made the experience feel like I was watching a movie play out in my head.

And holy fuck, his version of Nick was hot.

Nick. Nick is grumpy and standoffish and often rude. BUT HIS VOICE WAS SO FUCKING SEXY I DON'T EVEN CARE. Deep, gru
MiʂħүJѻ
Jan 01, 2015 MiʂħүJѻ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MiʂħүJѻ by: Richard
Really good. Audiobook was well done
Isa K.
I feel like I am forever doomed to hate everything that everyone else loves. Okay ... now it's official: I hate Josh Lanyon's books. For ages I've put off saying that because I never got further than the first 20 pages of one. It seemed unfair to judge based on practically nothing. But now that I've sat down and forced myself to read one from beginning to end I can finally say I hate Josh Lanyon's books.

I wanted so badly to like them!!! It's terribly unfair, Lanyon swoops in like a super hero in
DaisyGirl
2.5 stars rounded up to 3.0

Perry Foster is a 23-year-old struggling artist whose day job is working in the library. After being dumped by his online BF on a trip out to see him in San Francisco, Perry returns early from his vacation to find a dead body in his bathtub. Perry flees downstairs to get help and runs into "tall, dark and hostile" former navy SEAL Nick Reno. When Nick goes back up to investigate, the body is gone but evidence there leads Nick to believe Perry's story. Nick and Perry wo
Irena
For lovers of slow burn romance, you won't find any slower than this one. This is mystery first and romance takes a back seat until the last third of the book. I didn't mind. The slow part works better for these two. It is a fun story.

I liked Perry. Sometimes he acted a bit childish, but since he grew up sheltered and loved, one can't blame him. Somehow he still managed to stand on his own. Reno is nothing new if you've read any of Lanyon's books. He is that supposedly tougher part of the equat
Irina
There are some writers that never disappoint, and we get to trust them, knowing that any book written by them will be worth reading. My faith is in Josh Lanyon. I enjoy his books so much that any minor details I would have liked altered or added, could be easily ignored. I even started to get used to the typical Josh Lanoyn's abrupt endings. He gives us closure, however short it is, but closure nevertheless, and fulfillment. My personal favorite component of his books is anticipation. The waitin ...more
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • Hard Fall (Deputy Joe, #1)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three- ...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) Fair Game (All's Fair, #1) A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)

“If you want. It’s not really your kind of thing,” Perry said. “It’s a snow globe. You know, a big old house and lots of Vermont snow. I thought it might remind you of me.”

“I don’t need a snow globe to remind me of you,” Nick said, which was probably the most romantic thing he had ever heard himself say. It made him blush.”
5 likes
“Nick laughed and gave in to the urge to brush Perry’s fair hair out of his eyes ‑‑ his fingertips sensitive to the silky texture of eyebrows and hair, warm skin, eyelashes.
Perry’s lashes fluttered down, concealing his eyes.
“Hey,” Nick said huskily.
Perry gave him an uncertain look.
It was a mistake, of course. A huge mistake. But suddenly, urgently Nick wanted to taste Perry’s mouth, so he bent his head. Perry’s eyes widened, then their faces bumped, and his mouth found Perry’s.
It was a gentle kiss, because Nick was thinking what a stupid thing this was to do, and that Perry, being inexperienced, would probably expect songbirds and firecrackers.
Perry tasted like hot chocolate and something warm and young and male. It was unexpectedly erotic. He responded sweetly, opening right up, and Nick’s heart turned over in his chest.”
2 likes