Start by marking “Chalice (Planetary Submissives #1)” as Want to Read:
Chalice (Planetary Submissives #1)

Chalice (Planetary Submissives #1)

In order to stop his magic from eating him alive, Chalice seeks out a man strong enough to dominate and control him.

Chalice might be a prince on his planet but his submissive tendencies prevent him from dealing with the incredible energy coursing through his body. Magic users need a second to balance them out, but there has never been a case where the one with the power di
ebook, 1st Edition, 71 pages
Published January 16th 2012 by Total E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about Chalice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chalice

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
121st out of 614 books — 1,456 voters
Captive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatThe Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesMy Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyA Case of Possession by K.J. Charles
Gay Romance Featuring Royalty/Nobility
40th out of 323 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
Dec 03, 2015 julio rated it did not like it
Shelves: bantha-poodoo
flat-out horrendous.

rushed, incoherent, and far too dependent on breezily throwaway explanations instead of actual scene-setting, description, or visuals.

less a narrative than a series of notes.

nowhere near enough story for a novel, and not enough sex to be erotica—so what in the fuck did i just read?

i've no idea, but it gave me neither feelz nor boners.
Emma Sea
May 26, 2012 Emma Sea rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, slave
A perfectly good plot outline waiting for someone to write the actual book.
Susan
Jan 16, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mm

Extremely fast paced, but still enjoyable.

The MCs had almost no background, there was little to no world building, it had an extreme case of insta-love, the story felt rushed, and I still liked it.

description
Kris
Jun 06, 2012 Kris rated it it was ok
Oh, Amber Kell. A must when it comes to guilty pleasure reads.

If I felt any guilt reading her work, that is. :P

Why do they call them guilty pleasures anyway?

It's not as if it's that easy to sneak a book add into goodreads.

Someone's always watching.

Heidi Cullinan
Apr 23, 2012 Heidi Cullinan added it
Shelves: m-m
OMG THANK YOU MS KELL. Reading this gave me the most raunchy, kinky, hot fun plot bunny and within 18 hours of finishing this I have 8k and counting. And precious little sleep.
Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀
I was extremely disappointed in myself that I almost let a couple bad reviews dissuade me from reading what was actually a really good book & is in genres I rarely dislike. To be fair though, I did read the newest edition & I'm not sure what/if changes were made.

I somewhat knew what to expect going in. This is a short story so there was not as much storyline or character development you'd get with a full length novel. But this was a complete & full story that did not leave me hangin
Serena Yates
The first book in this futuristic series is the story of a prince, supposedly destined to rule, who needs a Master (ideally, a sexual Master) to control him. The fact that he is also a magic user needing someone to balance him to avoid losing control makes the whole setup a little more volatile. Who, after all, wants - or can afford to have - magic running amok?

Chalice is a prince running out of time. Significant damage has already been done to his father’s castle because he cannot control his m
Reflection
Once again I fell for the blurb and read this short story with mounting dismay. I reached the end, and was left questioning is that it? Chalice feels rushed and incomplete.

The plot sounds terrific, a fantasy in a sci-fi setting with magic and BDSM elements and instead it reads like a series of notes from which neither the plot nor the characters develop with any depth.

The tone is jovial which doesn't work in a story with a more serious theme and it put the whole thing off kilter for me. It was l
Julesmarie
Mar 03, 2013 Julesmarie rated it it was ok
The idea for this one is fantastic! I was so excited at the prospect of a fantasy in a sci-fi setting with BDSM elements--sounds like a lot to pack into a story, but the way the blurb read it sounded like it could totally work.

And it might have.

Ms. Kell is a delightful writer and I've very much enjoyed her light-hearted, fun, sarcastic stories (the Swan Prince series especially) but the light-hearted tone in this more serious storyline turned this into a farce.

The characters have no depth (which
Emily
Dec 20, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Originally read June 17, 2012

I greatly enjoyed this book, I think this is a very intriguing series and I will definitely be reading the others in this series (there are currently 2 with another on the way). My only problem with this book is how short it is. Important details and encounters are rushed, details are left out and the end result is that, while I like the story, I feel like it's entirely unbelievable. Yes, I know magic and aliens are science fiction, but the romance feels fak
Breann
2.5

I was a little disappointed in what should have been some great sci-fi erotica.

Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Jan 03, 2013 Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Hearts

Review first posted at MM Good Book Reviews

Chalice needs a strong Dominant male to help balance out his magic. Without a grounding force, he can only control his magic for minutes at a time, before he loses control. Chalice leaves his planet and takes a chance and hopes everything will work out. Terrin is an emperor, who has discarded many pets, but Chalice has caught his eye and Chalice’s demeanor intrigues him and he suspects he won’t get bor
Phaney
Mar 31, 2015 Phaney rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
2015 Re-read:

This book amuses me to no end. I don’t know how many times I’ve read it now. And the amusement never fades.

The way Terrin is pretending to be considerate to impress and ensnare his pet, when in reality he does not give a damn about anyone but himself? That makes it even more delicious to see him become entirely obsessed with Chalice and his well-being. And even Chalice has a deeply egotistical streak.

With all of that it’s still a sweet romance besides the fun. Sure, it is fast as al
Steph
Chalice introduces us to the first of Amber Kell's Planetary Submissives. Chalice, a Prince who is also a rare four-elemental mage, knows that he must find a powerful partner in order to balance his power. Typically such magic holders would find a submissive to balance their power, but in this case Chalice is a submissive and needs a dominant as a partner.
"... sometimes you have to give up something you want in order to get something you need"
Chalice holds his deceased mother's journal that pe
Aղցela W.
Spoiler Ahead
This was a short quick read that I liked. Chalice is a prince on his planet, because but his submissive tendencies prevent him from dealing with the incredible energy coursing through his body. Magic users need a second to balance them out, but there has never been a case where the one with the power didn’t hold the dominant position. Chalice’s ability as a rare four-elemental magic wielder already marks him as different, though. And with the king in denial of his son’s needs, he h
Lipvixen
Feb 08, 2012 Lipvixen rated it really liked it
Chalice is no wimpy submissive as he chooses what to obey. He does not get punished or bullied either. Those who are into BDSM lifestyle will find this lame.

Removed a star because: Insights to Emperor Hawk's character based on past actions pissed me off as well. He jumps dumps former desperate subs who have nowhere to go and accdg to a doctor was not gentle with them so they usually tore. (PRICK!) It turns out he doesn't like typical subs he wants someone like Chalice-- a strong willed sub who
Staceyr
Jan 16, 2012 Staceyr rated it liked it
Intriguing concept, great start. Chalice comes off as an intelligent, rational guy, up until he meets his master, and then everything becomes hot/cold, here/gone, completely flighty with little substance weaving these two characters together. Second half of the book felt rushed and wrong. 2.5 read for me.
Christy Duke
An interesting sci-fi, D/s story. I liked Chalice, very much, but wasn't particularly sold on Terrin. He said and did all the right things by the end, but some of his thoughts in the beginning were off-putting.
Michi Rosa
Jan 10, 2013 Michi Rosa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I thought I wouldn't like this book ('cause of that submissive-needs-a-master-to-live thing) but I really enjoyed it!
Amy
Jan 16, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them
I just wished it was longer.
Serena Yates

Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is a perfect coffee break book that dabbles with BDSM but doesn't go into too much detail, whilst it is put in a science fiction backdrop.

Chalice is a four-elemental mage but his magic is out of control. In a world where magic users are paired off into a dominant and submissive role, it is usually to strong magic user who is the dominant, except in this case. Chalice is a submissive and isn't getting the support he needs at home. This means that he is increasing the risk of his magic being
Diane
Mar 12, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
I was not sure about this at first, as much as I'm an Amber Kell fan, Master/Submissive and SciFi are not usually the first genre's I go for, but decided to give it a chance because the preview snippets, I was intrigued by the title character.

I liked him right away, he was such a lovely mix of bravado, openness and innocence, afraid of his powers while wanting to embrace them and learn to control them.

Terrin Hawk is still somewhat of a mystery even after reading the book, aside from the fact tha
Shannon Flynn
Jan 09, 2016 Shannon Flynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
This is a short story but I think the author did a great job with character and story development. I loved the concept and bought the book just based off of the blurb, Kell delivered. I was transported to another world and thoroughly enjoyed the story, Terrin and Chalice make a great couple. Could it have been longer, sure but I wasn't disappointed by the length at all. Like another reviewer I wanted Zall to get his own book and I see that he does, book 3. I also loved the quotes by Queen Nyaha ...more
Ale Rivero
Mar 22, 2016 Ale Rivero rated it really liked it
A pesar de que eché en falta un poco más de desarrollo del mundo y las capacidades de los protagonistas de esta historia, creo que Amber ha logrado su cometido.
La relación entre Chalice y Terrin resulta bastante realista, más allá de las circunstancias por las cuales ambos terminan juntos, me gustó también cómo están planteadas las personalidades de los protagonistas haciendo que ambos tengan sus particularidades.
Hacia el final la autora me sorprendió con el giro que da a la relación de Chalice
Ayanna
Oct 05, 2012 Ayanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
It was actually pretty good until about 2/3 of the way through, when it dissolved into melodrama. (view spoiler)

The original idea is interesting, though, but I feel like it was kind of...odd, in many ways.
Molly Lolly
Oct 24, 2016 Molly Lolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four Stars!
This is a good first book in the series. I really enjoyed the set up of the world and the characters we get to meet. I liked Chalice and how he went after what he wanted and needed from life. He was sweet and I connected with him quickly in the story. I would love to see more of him in future books. The story was light on some of the details as to why some things happened. Like why Terrin was attacked or acted like a jerk at times. You could feel how much
Clarene
Nov 05, 2016 Clarene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick read that was cute enough. I really wanted it to be longer and to know how Chalice and the emperor work through the magic. It is a really cool concept to me and I would like to know more about the interactions between these two men. I looked at the next in the series and it was about some character that I do not believe we ran into in this short, but the third book talks about Zall. Like I said not too much depth in the book with it being only 84 pages, but I would like ...more
The Novel Approach Reviews
The first in a science fiction/fantasy series that also includes some light BDSM (at least, light so far), Chalice was an enjoyable read. For readers who want to read a book with those themes, but aren’t sure whether or not they’d like them, I’d actually recommend this one because it’s light enough in all areas that it shouldn’t make anyone uncomfortable if it doesn’t turn out to be their cup of tea.

Chalice is a prince, but unlike his father and two brothers, he is a submissive, which turns out
  • Spice ‘n’ Solace (Galactic Alliance #1)
  • More Than a Pet
  • My Regelence Rake (Sci-Regency #3)
  • Love's Crash Landing
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • King's Conquest (Mending the Rift #1)
  • All the Gear, No Idea
  • End of the Line (Lady Blue Crew #1)
  • Personal Demons (Gods and Chaos, #3)
  • Alpha Trine (The Valespian Pact #1)
  • My King’s Seraglio
  • The Alpha King (Passion's Hero #1)
  • Levi (Leopard's Spots #1)
  • Mastering the Ride
  • Cat Toy
  • Pets, Book 1: Sparking
Amber Kell has made a career out of daydreaming. It has been a lifelong habit she practices diligently as shown by her complete lack of focus on anything not related to her fantasy world building.

When she told her husband what she wanted to do with her life he told her to go have fun.

During those seconds she isn't writing she remembers she has children who humor her with games of 'what if' and let
More about Amber Kell...

Planetary Submissives (3 books)
  • Orlin's Fall (Planetary Submissives, #2)
  • Zall's Captain (Planetary Submissives #3)