Start by marking “Bad Luck in Berlin (Victor the Assassin, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Bad Luck in Berlin (Victor the Assassin, #1.5)

Bad Luck in Berlin (Victor the Assassin #1.5)

Victor has been out of the game for six months - but he's as deadly as ever. He's in Berlin, preparing for his first assignment as a CIA contractor: taking out the scout of a notorious crime lord. No one is supposed to die - not yet - but as Victor tracks his target, he realises he's not the only one interested in the scout . . . and if Victor is going to do his job, he ha

Published April 5th 2012 by Sphere (first published March 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Luck in Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Luck in Berlin

_yay_
Kindle Edition, published March 13th, 2012
Hachette Digital

After he was forced to give up of his freedom, contract killer Victor is now on the CIA’s payroll. What fun - a handler telling him who to gank and when to do it.
This time it’s a crime lord, and Victor takes up surveillance of the man’s trusted scout. Soon he realizes he’s not the only party interested in the guy, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Complications arise, plans need to be changed. Bad Luck…in Berlin.

I admit it, I’m a t
Sean Peters
Feb 27, 2015 Sean Peters rated it really liked it
My first time reading a short story.

A clever idea, as this story fits nicely into the two main "Victor" books.

Somehow you know this character will return in the future.

Also nice to just have a quick read but still exciting
Will
Sep 25, 2016 Will rated it liked it
Engaging short story but a bit of a trifle overall. I found it slow moving with few memorable events other than the introduction of an interesting antagonist for Victor. You could skip this story and not feel as though you missed anything eventful. Not as strong as Wood's full novels.
Gopal (The Minion)
Jan 05, 2013 Gopal (The Minion) rated it really liked it
The intrigue around Victor the assassin grows!!! The Hunter left Victor caught between a rock and a hard place. With no choice but to become a contract employee for CIA, Victor feels out of his depth while going about his everyday work.

Bad Luck in Berlin sets up the premise for Victor's career in CIA. Even as Victor thinks of himself as a man without ties or any feeling of emotions, he plays the Samaritan to perfection while rescuing a pretty bartender from a fate worse than death even without h
Christine bonner
Apr 12, 2014 Christine bonner rated it it was amazing
A great afternoon read.
Victor does his first job for his new boss in CIA and it to kill someone in Berlin, he has to follow someone so he know where the person he has to kill is staying, but the person all so has some one following him so Victor watches them and another man turns up the Casino.
Where ever Victor goes other people get hurt even if there are the bad people
This book is the one before The Enemy but you can only get it on Kindle
Ian Heap
Nov 14, 2015 Ian Heap rated it really liked it
Great little story... Sounded like it was setting the scene well for book 2. I have that on order... I like the authors writing style and his action scenes are good.... I find myself wondering on the fighting style he is basing the techniques on. Could be jujitsu, aikido, or a big bag of mixed styles.
Diane
Dec 02, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
I really don't like novellas! The novella isn't a bad read, but it ends way too quickly with basically the reader scratching their head - huh? What happened to the main objective/story?

Victor is in Berlin on his first assignment with his "new employer" the CIA which is to take out the scout of a notorious crime lord. While doing his visual, he notices a couple more guys like him on assignment too (from different bosses though). Most of the novella takes place in a casino - but again, way too sh
Gary
Oct 30, 2016 Gary rated it liked it
A short novel by author Tom Wood taken from the 'Victor the assassin' series.
I have read other books in this series but I think this would be an ideal book to any new Tom Wood reader to get an insight into both the writer and the series.
I did enjoy the book but rated it only three stars due to the length of it and not the overall quality.
In this short story Victor is in Berlin, preparing for his first assignment as a CIA contractor where he is taking out the scout of a notorious crime lord.
A de
Matt
Dec 02, 2016 Matt rated it liked it
A fairly pedestrian, yet strangely enjoyable thriller novella which bridges the gap between Wood's first and second books. If anything, it's a kind of James Bond-esque pre-credits sequence -- in fact, the whole thing almost plays out as a homage to Casino Royale.
Bill Howie
Jan 31, 2013 Bill Howie rated it liked it
First of Woods books I have read and I assume it is meant as a teaser to tempt you into buying a full size book, in this I think he could have done better, I felt the book was a little padded out. I like the idea of Victor but in this book I think Woods was overly descriptive in what was happening and why Victor was doing what he was.To the extent that I found my self tempted to skip paragraphs and muttering to myself "come on just get to the point".
Also I found Victor doing things that, take it
Ricky
Dec 31, 2013 Ricky rated it really liked it
Bad luck in Berlin is a good short story, having read Tom Wood’s other three full length brilliant books, I always knew I was going to be left wanting more. The story keeps you guessing how it will end. I loved the last part, where Victor always has another extra card in his back pocket to play when you think he is in deep trouble. The enjoyment is knowing the character Victor and the anticipation on how he will get out of an uncomfortable situation. Tom Wood is a very creative and talented ...more
Piyush Kumar
Apr 11, 2016 Piyush Kumar rated it really liked it
I actually don't understand reason for this particular book but hoping it might make sense at later books. I would be glad to the characters in the book return and victor complete the mission which is put on hold for now. Also liked the character bayasev would love both the character crossing each others path. As first book fight sequences are exolained in a very neat and detailed manner which will make you imagine each move.
Diogenes
Feb 26, 2016 Diogenes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story without a point. One assassin meets and goes against another assassin while distracted from his mission, but manages to kill three thugs who want to kill someone else. Both survive to kill again another day. That's it; there's no spoiler here, as there's nothing to spoil. The story is burdened with details that are both greater than necessary and, at times, beyond credible. If there had been more than 100 pages, it would have gone unfinished.
Stephen .  N . Kariuki
Amazing

Victor as always kept me turning the pages. Interesting how he sometimes does the unexpected. Like save someone who he doesn't even and funny how that someone will never know just how close they came to the edge...
Johnnie Gee
May 15, 2016 Johnnie Gee rated it it was ok
May be I am going through an "okay" spell. The last few books I have read were "okay". I am ready for a great, magnificent, spellbinding, on the edge of your seat book.

This wasn't one of those.
brian c okane
Oct 18, 2015 brian c okane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good

As always , Victor the assassin stories are very detailed and keep you on the edge of your seat. Although he is an assassin he still trys to help the helpless.
James
Jul 31, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, e-book, spy
A good short story filling in some of the background to characters who apprear in later books. Also shows a sensitive side to Victor when he steps in to help Anika.
Angela
Oct 19, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing
Tom Wood is just brilliant!!! I have enjoyed all of his books so far, and this was no exception. It may have been a short story, but it was still as exciting and thrilling as his novels.
John Riches
John Riches rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Rafe
Rafe rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Cat Pilcher
Cat Pilcher rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Bodo Pfündl
Jan 31, 2014 Bodo Pfündl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short story, but great fun as the fans of Tom Wood are used to!
Robert Francisco
Robert Francisco rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Ben Edrich
Ben Edrich rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Me
Me rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
  • Revenger (Samuel Carver, #6)
  • Gut Instinct (Pike Logan #3.5)
  • The Khmer Kill: A Dox Short Story
  • Dead Fall (Joe Hunter, #7.5)
  • Tarantula
  • Columbus (Silver Bear, #2)
  • The Adventure of the Crooked Man (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • Diary of an Assassin
  • The Reckoning
  • Accidental Hitman
  • Back Blast (The Gray Man, #5)
  • The Little Men
  • The Phoenix Variant (The Fifth Column, #3)
  • Hit (Codename: Chandler, #0.1)
  • Soft Targets (Jonathan Grave #5.5)
  • Time to Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #6)
  • Termination Orders (Dan Morgan, #1)
5212055
Tom was born in Burton Upon Trent in Staffordshire, England, and now lives in London.

He is the author of THE HUNTER, BAD LUCK IN BERLIN and THE ENEMY.

Tom's books are known by different titles in some countries so please be careful when purchasing.
More about Tom Wood...

Victor the Assassin (7 books)
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin #2)
  • The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • Better Off Dead (Victor the Assassin, #4)
  • The Darkest Day (Victor the Assassin, #5)
  • A Time To Die (Victor the Assassin #6)
  • The Final Hour (Victor the Assassin #7)