Start by marking “Five Days in Summer” as Want to Read:
Five Days in Summer

Five Days in Summer

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  841 ratings  ·  117 reviews
SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE RIGHT BACK...

Before the long drive home from vacation on Cape Cod, Emily Parker made a quick run to the grocery store...and disappeared.

When her car is found abandoned in the parking lot, her husband, Will, turns to a retired FBI profiler named John Geary for help.

As her family scours the Cape for her, Emily's thoughts are not on her own safety. Kept...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Five Days in Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Days in Summer

Krystal

This was really good. When you think you knew who the bad guy was you were proven wrong. Emily, wife and mother of 3 heads to the grocery store. And doesn't come back. Will, the husband finds himself in the worst possible nightmare once he finds out about his wife. The story is told over a period of 5 days and every chapter , leaves you yearning for more. The only thing I was a bit off on was the ending. But even then, I still liked the ending. If you like crime, suspense and a good story telli...more
Christine bonner
Emily Parker and her 3 children are on a holiday at her Mother's place, While Sarah her mum looks after the children, Emily goes to shop to top up her mums cupboards, she buys some corn but a funny man who she calls the corn man is touching all the corns he is behind her at the checkout and put the corn on in lots of.
Emily goes to the car park and put all the shopping in the car. she talks to her Husband Will on the phone and that the last any one see's of her. When she don't come home Will driv...more
Heather
Mother disappears while on a grocery shopping errand. Involves dad, grandma, two children and some unlikely cops. Keeps you turning the pages, but the grandmother was a little too stupid for my taste.
Connie
The ending was a surprise but not justified.
Dori
It isn't very often that I read a book that I have to put down and walk away from in order to collect myself emotionally before continuing to read it. However, with this book, I found myself only able to read about 15 pages before having to set it aside and go kiss, love and squeeze every single one of my children--and yes that includes the dog! LOL. I'm not sure what it was about this book that made me feel this way, it isn't as though I've never read books that follow this same basic plot line...more
Sara Townsend
On a hot September day in 2001, Emily Parker goes to a grocery store in Cape Cod and never comes home again. Her husband reports her missing, but he feels his pleas are not being taken seriously, with Emily being dismissed as another wife who’s left her husband.

Only one man appears to show an interest – retired FBI profiler John Geary. One of Geary’s unsolved cases involved tracking a serial killer, who struck every seven years in September. The killer would always target a mother. First the mo...more
Gloria Feit
The events in the book take place, as the title implies, over a five-day period. As it opens, on September 3, 2001 [and that specific date is significant], Emily Parker, a young wife and mother, has left her children - - a one-year- old girl and two boys, ages seven and eleven - - with her mother to run a small shopping errand. She never returns from that chore, and there is no clue as to what has happened to her. Vacationing in Cape Cod, the family had been scheduled to return to New York City...more
Best Crime Books
Katia Lief (also known as Kate Pepper) has written lots of books but I quite enjoyed her book Hide and Seek which was released in 2010. This new stand alone (in the US published under the Title Five Days In Summer) sounded interesting and I was looking forward to reading it. Emily Parker is enjoying time with her three young children and decides to make a quick run top the grocery store. That is the last time her children see her, and pretty soon it becomes clear to her husband Will and mother S...more
Lauren
This book had a lot of promise, but fell short of my expectations. Where the writing crackles in one scene (and it really can be excellent), it fizzles in the next, overwrought and inevitably pointless (in terms of plot, that is; paragraphs of detail on the young cop's heritage or the elderly mother's past do not help me solve mysteries). The mystery element of the book, especially the ending, was unsatisfying for me as I felt the reader was hand-fed clues so it was inevitable and still kind of...more
Sian
After a lot of thought and trying my best with this one, I admit to defeat and have given up with it.

This is just not as gripping as her previous books.
I have been reading this for 5 days now and still only 170 pages into it.
I unfortunately just can't get into it and cannot get the enthusiam to even pick it up to continue reading.

It's very unlike me and I hate to give up on a book but I cannot continue reading when I'm not enjoying it.

The story is extremely slow going for my taste and once the...more
Karschtl
Sometimes I need a week for a book, not only because I don't have enough time to read but also because a story doesn't interest me that much or it is interesting but strenuous to read. This one here I read in something like 28 hours (so two evenings, a lunch break and even at the breakfast table!)

It was a gripping story, one of the kind where you can easily imagine yourself being the victim. That makes it even more creepy! As the story unfolds we're presented with the viewpoints of different ch...more
Julie scott
This was a good and enjoyable read with good characters and plenty of suspense although @ times earlier in the story parts were a bit average but mostly a good intriguing novel and what a huge shock when the twisted kidnapper is discovered would never have guessed it but I won't spoil it for other readers. This was a eBook on Google Play with the option to read aloud which I enjoyed. Good read❤❤❤
Kristen
This is an excellent thriller. It's dark, disturbing, pure psychological and suspenseful. On a typical summer afternoon, Emily Parker disappears in Cape Cod. A madman abducted her. We're warped inside her head as a hostage for the next five days and a search start for her. We see how her family reacts and panics, when they learn about the serial killer. Enter a former FBI profiler, John Geary, and his best friend, Roger Bell to solve the case, while we learn about Emily's family and the people i...more
Ashley
I really wanted to like this book. Truly. That said reading this book was aggravating. I have never just wanted a book to be over before. I'm never one to simply give up and close the covers prior to reaching the end but it was difficult to hold onto that resolve this time.

The prologue was promising and had me hooked and anxious to see what was to come. I am sad to report that if you enjoy the prologue, do not expect the rest of the book to follow through. I had a hard time caring about any of...more
Melissa
Excellent suspense novel. Read this when she was using the name Kate Pepper, definitely want to read more by this author.
Emily
This book was not for me, so my review isn't so much about the quality of the book as it is the content. Too violent and too disturbing. Not really the kind of thing I would choose to read for fun (it was a book club selection). I prefer my beach reading to be romantic or funny, not gory and shocking.

It's a page-turner for sure, but there were a lot of parts that gave details that were clearly not relevant to the plot (lengthy descriptions of random FBI agents or scenery) that I was too impatien...more
Amy Nelson
This was an ok whodunit. It's a quick read.
Lindsay Allen
Definitely a page turner! I'm so glad I was recommended this author. As a fan of thrillers and super quick reads, like anything by James Patterson, Katia Lief kept me on edge. I finished this book in 3 evenings, one in particular that kept me up past 2am!

Story is solid, ending was an unexpected twist. Started reading this in the spring so it made me look forward to the summer, in a bizarre way.

If you like quick, nail-biting reads, this is your book. Just be prepared to be up all night trying to...more
Diana
After reading the reviews and the prolouge, I figured i'd give this book a shot, and I am glad I did!
For me this book was intense! I liked how you get a glimpse into the killers mind. You also get a sense of how close this family is and their background, not just on the family, but the main characters throughout the book as well.
This book is a total page turner, intense, and keeps the readers interest. Definitely a book I recommend! I look forward to checking out more books by this author.
Allison
I really enjoyed this book. This is the second book I've read by Katia Lief and I've loved both of them. Quick, exciting reads. These are not great works of literature by any means, but they are well writing crime novels that usually keep me up WAY too late at night because I can't wait to find out what happens. I'd highly recommend them to anyone wanting a good, quick read. And many of her books are only $.99 for the Nook at Barnes & Noble, so you can't go wrong. ;)
Christi
May 05, 2008 Christi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carrie K.
I'll admit after reading the first two paragraphs, with the main character held captive pumped full of a muscle inhibitor that paralyzed her but left her fully aware, I put the book down. Too afraid to read more.
But luckily (for me at least) the book doesn't spend a lot of time on what happens to Emily beyond that.
What unfolds is an excellent book, full of twists and turns and secrets.
A good thriller. A super fast read. Excellent if you are on the beach at the Cape.
Jen Blood
Beautifully written, compelling, expertly plotted. Lief's ability to get inside her characters' heads during an incredibly tense and disturbing case means that her readers have a front-row seat through the twists and turns of a mother's abduction by a serial kidnapper/killer. The characters are well-drawn and believable, the pacing is tight, and the plot itself is a nail-biter, to say the least. Highly recommended to anyone who appreciates a well-crafted mystery.
Shannah
Read this at the Cape this past summer since it took place there and I couldn't put it down! First scary book I have read and really enjoyed being spooked. :-)
Lynn
A young mother is snatched from the parking lot of a Cape Cod supermarket. Police and family have not a single clue as to why or who could have perpetrated the crime. Enter a retired FBI agent and a soon-to-be retired professor/author who have a theory that this kidnapping might be part of a serial killer's plan. Suspenseful, great setting, a nice beach read, which is just what I was looking for.
Kayleigh Slater
This thrilling novel was full of suspense and twists at every turn. Right when you think you have things figured out and the killer pinned, the author throws in a new clue for your mind to grasp. The middle was a bit slow, but when the ending comes around, the middle makes more sense and it all comes together smoothly. This was one of my favorite crime novels I have ever read!
Cherie Reeves
another one of my bargain books. I enjoyed this story. A woman is kidnapped after making a quick trip to the grocery store. A retired FBI takes interest in her case, and discovers her captor is a serial killer....not of the mothers, but of the young sons. Fast paced, emotional, roller coaster ride of a book. Boy I wasn't expecting the ending. Fooled me.
Simon Gosden
An intriguing serial killer thriller. Emily Parker is kidnapped in broad daylight and held captive by a man who the police believe is a serial killer who only striks once every seven years. The serial killer in the past has then taken one of the victims sons and killed him. FBI profiler John Geary and the police department are on a race against time....
Joan  Ridge
This book was really good,I'm surprised it was so inexpensive to buy......great author.

I couldn't put this book down, from the first chapter and the way this author wrote this it was captivating. Kept you right on the edge so you wanted to read more.

Great story, and how can I talk about it without telling you what happened,I can't, so read it!
Liz
This was my first Katia Lief book and I am officially a fan. I found this book to be very suspenseful and was happy that my guess of who the bad guy was was not right which means she wrote a very good book. I have added some other Katia Lief books to my reading list and can't wait to get into them as well. I highly recommend this book!
April
Five Days In Summer was a very good book.

After reading some of the blurbs about this book I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it because I thought it might be rather gory. But I was surprised when it actually wasn't.

I like that you actually got a glimpse into the background of the killer. Sometimes you don't get that.
  • Merciless (Senseless, #2)
  • No One Heard Her Scream (No One, #1)
  • Disembodied Bones (Lake People, #2)
  • Der Verehrer
  • The Glades
  • Midnight Cab
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Accidents Waiting to Happen
  • Classmate Murders (A Jim Richards Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Cleaner: A Thriller
  • Closer Than Blood
  • Last Breath
  • Disturbed
  • A Witness Above (Frank Pavlicek Mysteries, #1)
  • Beyond Justice
  • Jacob
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • While my pretty one sleeps; Loves Music, Loves to Dance
The first thing I ever wrote that received any notice was a one page story for my third grade English teacher. I don't recall what the assignment was, but I somehow found myself writing about a woman at a dinner party who suddenly realizes her teeth are invisible. She sits there, wedged between two chattering guests, wondering how she will eat, how she will talk, and generally how she will get out...more
More about Katia Lief...
One Cold Night You Are Next Here She Lies Seven Minutes to Noon Next Time You See Me