Start by marking “A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (Digital Library)” as Want to Read:
A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (Digital Library)

A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (Digital Library)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  392 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Psychology of Errors
I Introduction
II The Psychology of Errors
III The Psychology of Errors (Continued)
IV The Psychology of Errors (Conclusion)
The Dream
V Difficulties and Preliminary Approach
VI Hypothesis & Technique of Interpretation
VII Manifest Dream Content & Latent Dream Thought
VIII Dreams of Childhood
IX The Dream Censor
X Symbolism in the Dream
XI The Dream-Wo
Published December 6th 2011 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Owlseyes
Near his life's end he recorded [on audio] these words:"I started my professional activity trying to bring relief to my neurotic patients. I discovered some important new facts about the unconscious. People did not believe in my facts and thought my theories unsavory. In the end I succeeded, but the struggle is not yet over".

It had its 1st edition in 1920 and the book was aimed at laypeople.

In its preface, Stanley Hall noticed that Psychoanalysis was not much of a topic for the APA (American Ps
Erik Graff
May 02, 2016 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freud fans
Recommended to Erik by: John Morris
Shelves: psychology
One is not advised to just jump into Freud, as I did, taking little account of the order of his publications. He revised his theories too often.

I was fortunate to read this series of lectures early on, although I would have been even more fortunate to have read his earlier work on hysteria first. Here Freud's theory is presented simply in lectures intended for a lay audience and here Freud's theory itself is still relatively simple compared to developments post-Beyond the Pleasure Principle.

I re
Diocletian
Nov 12, 2013 Diocletian rated it really liked it
I had a goal when I started this book. Whenever I mentioned Freud to anyone, including those who had never read him, I seemed to get a pretty common response: "Oh, you mean the sex-obsessed psychologist?" My goal was to read this book, and then to explain that his "sex-obsession" did not exist, was blown out of proportion, etc. However, having finished this book, all I can say is that his critics were right. He was sex-obsessed. However, even though he traces way top many psychological problems ...more
Alina
Dec 24, 2015 Alina rated it liked it
Freud's theories and psychoanalytic therapies were pretty revolutionary at the end of the 19th century and in the first part of the 20th, but now psychology has evolved and changed a lot since then; therefore I don't know how relevant are Freud's theories in the 21th century.
However, if you want to read this book, you must know that it contains 28 chapters, which are grouped in free parts: The Psychology of Errors, The Dream and General Theory of the Neuroses. I personally enjoyed the most the c
Menia
Sep 12, 2013 Menia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading it for university exams and it has caught my attention. Now i want to learn more about psychoanalysis
Alex Obrigewitsch
Jun 11, 2016 Alex Obrigewitsch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accessible introduction to psychoanalysis and to the workings of Freud's thought.

Throughout these lectures, especially in the early lectures, Freud gives expression to his lifelong desire for psychoanalysis to be an objective science. But his understanding of the work of analysis and its relation with the unconscious continually expel it from being either objective or properly scientific. Analysis is a thoroughly subjective experience or event. In the first lecture Freud speaks of how one can
Bob
Feb 05, 2016 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top100
I wish I had read Mortimer Adler's "How to Read a Book" before I tackled this. This set of lectures is very full of terminology that gets in the way of understanding it. Perhaps if I were knowledgeable of psychology I would understand the words. It is possible, though, that the terms Freud uses are dated and don't mean the same as they do today. In one passage, he uses these terms: libido, interest, sexual instincts, ego instincts, object-libido, ego-libido, ego-energy. Understanding that passag ...more
Ken Doggett
May 03, 2015 Ken Doggett rated it liked it
This is presented as a series of lectures. It rambled quite a bit, and I don't know whether it was the original or the translation at fault, but it was often hard to follow. It rarely gets into the actual mechanics, the symptoms or the cures, of psychoanalsis, which I found disappointing. A lot of it dealt with the difficulties of dealing with patients, and it seemed to be meant for those who already had training in psychotherapy. Possibly this would make for more interesting reading if the read ...more
Konstantine
I remember reading this at 14.5 yo. It was a difficult read at that age, but, oh well, I was interested in these things from back then, so I'd bought it.

It was pretty amazing as an introduction to the subject, but, all in all, Freud's work falls short due to the fact that he is overly concerned with the libido and the related issues. It's a very limited view, looking back on it now. But, at the time, it was a good stepping stone to get me onto bigger & better things in my 20ies and beyond.
Barbara
Mar 12, 2015 Barbara rated it it was ok
this book is ok but was not for me. I am sure that if you are more into psychoanalysis than I am then you would enjoy/find it more interesting than I did. I did persevere with it however and read it to the end.
Bryce Maxwell
May 27, 2014 Bryce Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this for any introductory Freud reader... It offers some broad coverage of psychoanalytic theory in layman's terms. These lectures were conducted in a way that presupposed the ignorance of the audience, which shouldn't be seen as disrespectful, but as it was intended - as an "idiots guide" to psychoanalysis (at least a general understanding of it).

Having read much of Freud's other works, this served as a more light-minded read while still maintaining the complexity and clarity famili
Marije
Jul 03, 2016 Marije rated it liked it
gelezen: p.75-162
JOHN
May 10, 2011 JOHN rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
teori psikoanalisis nya banyak ditentang....salah satu nya yaitu manusia adalah binatang artinya tingkah pola manusia berdasarkan instinknya
...salah satu insting itu yaitu sex ( libido )...banyak tokoh yang menentang teori ini......yang pada akhirnya Sigmund freud jarang lagi memakai istilah yang di atas lagi, pada buku2 berikutnya....

teori psikoanalisis yaitu:
-ID
-EGO
-dan SUPER EGO....

tingkah laku manusia berdasarkan 3 item diatas..
apaan tuh?...baca aja kalo mo tau
Earl
Apr 13, 2016 Earl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This master of suspicion, among others, has always baffled me. Now, after having read more than twenty-five lectures which covers perhaps the entirety of Freudian psychology I've learned in my PSY 101 class, I somehow understand him. The problem for me is, coming from a contemporary mindset, that there are a lot of hasty conclusions that Freud drew from his observations.
Hari Krishnan
Feb 01, 2016 Hari Krishnan rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I have read this book way back in 1974--hardly 21 years then. Obviously it is different experience to read it again when you are 62. Let me see how it sounds to me now.
Amarilldo
Aug 25, 2008 Amarilldo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
haha, id, ego, super-ego, kesadaran, prasadar, bawah sadar, penis envy, oedipus complex, bla-bla-bla-bla.....
buku psikologi pertamaku...
Nick Today
Mar 15, 2012 Nick Today marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just reading the most intriguing chapters. Skipping over some boring/repetitive stuff.
Todd
Apr 10, 2016 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A.K.A. A Genital Introduction To Psychoanalysis
Michael Palmer
Jun 14, 2012 Michael Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lol I digit but don't for the easly bord
Chuck D
Jun 16, 2012 Chuck D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for a psychiatrist this $h!t is crazy
Pauli
Pauli marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
neha singh
neha singh is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Kalyani Sreekumar
Kalyani Sreekumar marked it as to-read
Elias Diab
Elias Diab rated it it was amazing
Kevin Le
Kevin Le marked it as to-read
Carl
Carl added it
Cesare Papa
Cesare Papa rated it it was ok
James Stengel
James Stengel rated it it was amazing
Vivek
Vivek marked it as to-read
  • Psychology and Social Sanity
  • Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology
  • Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach [with CD-ROM and InfoTrac]
  • 10,000 Dreams Interpreted: A Dictionary of Dreams
  • The Hidden Sense: Synesthesia In Art And Science
  • Psychology: The Science Of Mind And Behaviour
  • Personality Disorders in Modern Life
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change
  • Being a Brain-Wise Therapist: A Practical Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • The Farther Reaches of Human Nature (Esalen Book)
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
  • The Psychopath: Emotion and the Brain
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • The First Interview
  • Black Rage: Two Black Psychiatrists Reveal the Full Dimensions of the Inner Conflicts and the Desperation of Black Life in the United States
  • Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD). How to Understand and Cure Social Phobia.
Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential - and controversial - minds of the 20th century.

Sigismund (later changed to Sigmund) Freud was born on 6 May 1856 in Freiberg, Moravia (now Pribor in the Czech Republic). His father was a merchant. The
More about Sigmund Freud...

“It is a predisposition of human nature to consider an unpleasant idea untrue, and then it is easy to find arguments against it.” 26 likes
“Words were originally magic, and the word retains much of its old magical power even to-day. With words one man can make another blessed, or drive him to despair; by words the teacher transfers his knowledge to the pupil; by words the speaker sweeps his audience with him and determines its judgments and decisions. Words call forth effects and are the universal means of influencing human beings.” 12 likes