Start by marking “Hidden (Avena, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden (Avena, #1)

Hidden (Avena #1)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,110 ratings  ·  230 reviews
For as long as Ebony can remember, she's been sheltered. Confined to her home in a secluded valley, home-schooled by her protective parents, and limited to a small circle of close friends. It's as if she's being hidden. But something is changing in Ebony. Something that can't be concealed. She's growing more beautiful by the day, she's freakishly strong, and then there's t ...more
Published June 25th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
81st out of 579 books — 2,022 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
432nd out of 1,517 books — 10,509 voters

More lists with this book...

María
Marianne Curley is coming back in 2013. I care for little else right now.

EDIT 18/07/2012:
And we have the book cover, YAY! It's not what I expected, but it's white and pretty and I'm so excited.

EDIT 25/11/2012:
I found out the new cover for the UK paperback a.k.a the edition that I've pre-ordered from bookdepository a few days ago, and I thought I should let you know.
This one is so much yummy! And leaves me more excited than before.

REVIEW
Real rate 2 to 3 stars.
I'm a bit disappointed. What I like t
Zemira Warner
description

Jesus Christ! Please strike these characters from Heaven! Please, I beg of you.

I've never read a Marianne Curley book before but a lot of people seem to love Old Magic so I thought, what the hell, Hidden has a pretty cover and the blurb sounds decent even though most angel books turn into fails, at least for me they do. So... I. Read. IT!

I read it after dropping it two months ago. It was so painfully stupid. The characters! My God! The insta love is in warp speed. And it happens twice. Please,
Rashika (is tired)
Dec 16, 2013 Rashika (is tired) rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who can overlook annoying characters and bad romances
Recommended to Rashika (is tired) by: my stupid self

I started this book with rather high hopes. I am not big on angel books because of bad experiences with them, but the summary of this book lured me in.

Oh god I don’t even know where to start with how terrible this book was. It broke my heart into little pieces. I was almost bawling by the end of it because it was so BAD!

For someone who is too lazy to read this whole rant. Here is what you need to know. The main character is involved in a love triangle where both the ‘romances’ are insta love
Suzanne
While I've been feeling quite fed up with angel books lately, when I was offered this one for review, my interest was piqued. It's a different take on angel lore. There's no God or Devil, or Heaven or hell. But a King of Angels and a Dark Prince who reside in different realms. The concept of how the Dark Prince came to be is pretty similar, with the Dark Prince creating an army and waging war against The Angel King. There's a realm where the angels reside, a realm where mortal souls go after the ...more
Aras Redan
I really wanted to like this book. I can't even describe how much. I love Marianne Curley, I love her Guardians of Time trilogy as it is one of the first novels I've read and it is my definite favourite on my shelves. But no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get into 'Hidden'. It wasn't bad. Not at all. It was just okay, and unfortunately, I had very high expectations. In 'The Named', I loved every single character. They were all unique, different and loveable. But the only character in this n ...more
Becky
I received a copy of this in the post from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Actually receiving this was a surprise, but an awesome one. I loved reading her 'Guardians of Time' trilogy as a teenager and I still have them on my shelves, but she disappeared and I wondered why, then I got this book and I was really excited. There was an accompanying note explaining her absence for the last 7 years and reading her story made me admire her all the more.
Anyway, I knew I wanted to read th
Ana
3.5 Stars

“Oh no! Another angel book!” must be what you’re thinking. Yeah, well, angels are the new hype so… another angel book it is!

I actually enjoyed Hidden very much. It was short but wow, a lot of things (A LOT!) happen in around 350 pages. Action, character info, romance… This book never gets boring.

What I’m really happy about is that Ebony isn’t annoying as most of the main characters in YA are now. And *drum-roll* THERE IS NO INSTA-INSTA-LOVE! Why are there two “instas”? I can’t really s
Amy (Turn the Page)
I’ve been waiting eight years for Marianne Curley to write another book. So I’m kind of gutted that when it finally arrived, I meandered through to 40% before deciding to put it aside.

Marianne Curley was one of my favourite authors growing up. I love Old Magic and her Guardians of Time trilogy and have read them all several times, though not for many years now. I have to wonder if I’d still love them as much if I picked them up for the first time today. Would I have the same trouble with them as
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.)
Ebony has always known that she was different, but her parents have never been open to talking about her and their family. When Ebony finally forces her parents to talk to her, they tell her something she wasn’t expecting – she’s not their biological daughter.

Jordan is a normal kid who has not had the best of starts in life. He’s currently in foste
Emma Adams
I hate writing bad reviews, I really do. This book looked really promising. The cover is gorgeous, and it sounded like an interesting spin on angel mythology. Unfortunately, it turned out to be nothing special. I couldn’t really get into the story in the beginning - it opens with both narrators, Ebony and Jordan, telling us their life stories without first letting us get to know them (the old “show don’t tell” thing!). I just didn’t connect with either of them, and then there was the insta-love ...more
Louise
I thought this was alright at the beginning, but the further I got the worse it became. The lectures that the angel gave jordan were so long and boring, and the storyline was so silly in places. Why would Ebony get into a car with some random guy she didn't know? especially when he was talking rubbish! he could have been an escaped mental patient for all she knew!
I didn't like the love triangle either. I liked Jordan better than the angel, but the moment ebony saw the angel she was like - i love
Becky
This was a great book that got me out of a reading slump that I had been in since my grandma passed in February. This is a book about angels, my first one. I have always been intrigued into how they deal with the concept of angels. This book has edged me to read more angel books.

This book is based around a girl called Ebony who does not know she is an angel. She meets a boy called Jordan who she feels drawn too. She is then swept into a world, that she knows nothing about until Thane shows up a
Shane
Hidden had an intriguing concept. There was the potential to be a really wonderful book but due to several factors the story wasn't as impressive as I wanted it to be. I had a hard time trying to collect my thoughts to write a review that wouldn't come off overly critical in any way because I respect the author and I want to give her my honest opinion in the most respectful manner I can. So here goes.

I liked the general setting; the world building was good. But at the same time it was a bit tame
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
I think I've had Hidden on my shelf for quite some time now, nearing probably 5/6 months now. But due to University I've only just gotten round to reading again, full stop. However as soon as I realised that Hidden was a book about angels (and it helps that it was the first review book I came across whilst figuring out what to read first!) I was excited to read it, and couldn't put it down!

Ebony is an interesting character but I loved her. She was a typical angsty teen who was annoyed at her pa
Lucy (Queen of Contemporary)
DNF REVIEW:

I received this for review from the publisher via Netgalley

I must first of all say that I did not finish this book, through choice of my own, so my review will not be a reflection of the entire novel, only the part that I did read.

I had high expectations for Hidden, mainly because I know a few people who had really enjoyed it but, sadly, this wasn't the case for me. Maybe it's because I had such expectations that I didn't like it, but I guess we'll never know.

From the start, it is ev
Katie_la_geek
For this review and more my blog

I really wanted to like Hidden as I have been a fan of this author in the past but unfortunately there were a few to many issues with this book and I just couldn’t get into it at all. Hidden is not necessarily a ‘bad’ book, it is written well and has a good pace and structure but that isn’t enough to make a book entertaining.

The big problem with Hidden is that it feels terribly dated. I have been reading YA for ages now and in the last few years have loved seeing
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
After having Hidden sitting on my shelf for a good 6 months, I was unsure whether to read it or not. However when Suzanne from Paranormal Pages told me how much she loved this book, I decided to give it ago (despite the negative reviews I've seen). And honestly, I did enjoy it.

Angel books tend to be either epic wins or epic fails and I have to say, this is the first time where I'm in the middle. While Hidden was a good read, I did have some problems with it, but not to stop me enjoying it compl
Joy Mary
Personally found this book to be amazing, within the first couple of pages its already getting well into the story so you aren't kept waiting for something interesting to happen for half the book. I just loved the story line, the characters, the writing and all.
This is the first book of Marianne's that I've read so far, defiantly going to read some of her other books while I wait the the next book of the Avena series :)
L.L. Hunter
Just finished reading my copy of Hidden and i knew i would love Ebony's story from the very beginning. She doesn't know who she is until she meets the intriguing Jordan and feel their intense connection, but that is nothing compared to what she feels when she meets Nathanael. Exciting and suspenseful and with a cliffhanger that will kill you, i totally recommend Hidden!
Amanda Canham
Awesome! Marianne Curley has burst back onto the scene with an action packed angel story that is bright and wholesome, like a breath of fresh air in the plethora of dark and stormy paranormal YA novels out there. Breathtaking description, a strong female lead, two swoon worthy guys & an ending that will leave you desperate for more. A brilliant start to the series!
Shannon

I CAN'T

CAN'TTTTTTTTTT
Vaniti
Jul 25, 2012 Vaniti marked it as to-read
She is writing something again! I am so excited I could burst! YAY! I can't wait
AndiG
1 star

I bought this book at my local little bookshop on impulse, so I didn't think much of it when I bought it. I thought "yes! I'll get this one. The Selection was bought on impulse and I loved it!" Boy was I naïve. Pfft, I was stupid. Just like this book.

I gave this book so many chances, but it just didn't capture my attention. I got to page 196 before deciding to stop. I had contemplated stopping reading for about 100 pages before that, but I thought I would give it another seven chances.

S
Paula  Phillips
I first discovered Marianne Curley about 5-6 years ago with her books The Named etc and loved them and then just the other day, I saw arrive at the library in our new books bin -a new book by her , the first in a new series and I just knew I had to read it - that and the fact that it had an awesome cover.
Hidden tells the tale of Ebony who all her life has lived a pretty sheltered life , she always thought it was that her parents were strict and wanted to protect her but soon she will discover th
Serendipity Reviews
If I’m honest, I’ve really missed reading angel books. I haven’t read one in ages so it was lovely to get my hands on this one. I know the book appears to be receiving a lot of mixed reviews on Goodreads, but I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t perfect, but it was a very good read, with an excellent ending.

The story is told from alternating points of view between Ebony and Jordan. I felt the author really explored how the characters were feeling and we managed to get a good look inside their heads. I
Jennifer Pittman
Hidden was a wonderful book. It's a YA book about a stolen angel that has been living on earth, hidden among a family that does not know of her origin. They believed that she was an orphan, although she came with some odd demands from the one giving her to her new family. She knew that she was different from others. She has purple eyes, and exceptionally strong and fast for someone her age and build.

The beginning starts out with her defying her mother, and sneaking out to go to a dance with her
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops)
This book was originally reviewed at Tea, Daydreams & Fairytales on 4th March 2013.

This story is told from both the perspectives of Ebony, a violet eyed teenager who until recently was home schooled and has never left the valley her parents farm is located on, and Jordon, a tough kid in foster care who has had one too many things go wrong in his young life. When these two meet for the first time there is an instant connection that changes both of their worlds as you discover about Ebony's pa
Rebecca P
Hidden tells the story of violet-eyed Ebony. After her over-protective parents go crazy at her for sneaking out of her house to go to a party, Ebony demands to know why they are always so evasive about why she is not allowed to leave the area around the house or why they wont tell her much about when she was born. What she find is something that she never expected. Ebony is an Angel, stolen from her home realm soon after her birth.

I found Ebony a little bland as a character, although I did like
Shaheen
I think the blurb of this book really doesn't sell it - I put off reading it until I read Mandee's review, and when I found out she enjoyed it, I decided to give it a chance. I'm so glad I did, and also sad that I left it so long, because Hidden is a wonderful book that most readers will enjoy.

Hidden refuses to follow the usual formulaic outline of a paranormal romance - the protagonists are strong and rather more mature than the average YA characters, the plot is amazingly paced, and the concep
  • A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Mortal Fire
  • Triangles (Bermuda Triangle, #1)
  • The Watcher (The Watcher Saga, #1)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Blood and Feathers (Blood and Feathers, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • The Sweet Dead Life (Sweet Dead Life, #1)
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • Inception (The Reaping Chronicles, #1)
  • Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
  • Anthem for Jackson Dawes
  • On a Dark Wing
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Infatuate (Gilded Wings, #2)
I was born on the 20th of May, 1959 in Windsor, New South Wales, Australia. The youngest of four children, I lived with my family in a small timber house on the banks of the Hawkesbury River. I started my school life at St Monica’s Primary School in Richmond, catching the bus with my brothers and sister every day until a major flood caused the Hawkesbury River to break its banks and sweep the fami ...more
More about Marianne Curley...

Avena (3 books)
  • Broken (Avena, #2)
  • Fearless (Avena, #3)
Old Magic The Named (Guardians of Time, #1) The Dark (Guardians of Time, #2) The Key (Guardians of Time, #3) Broken (Avena, #2)

“I sense a deep despair inside this boy that must be hard to live with.” 3 likes