Start by marking “Star Wars - The Truce at Bakura” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Star Wars - The Truce ...

Kathy Tyers

Star Wars - The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars Universe)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  7,543 ratings  ·  178 reviews
No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned to ashes on Endor than the Alliance intercepts a call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost. Bakura is on the edge of known space and the first to meet the Ssi-ruuk, cold-blooded reptilian invaders who, once allied with the now dead Emperor, are approaching Imperial space with only one goal: total domination. Princess Le ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars - The Truce at Bakura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars - The Truce at Bakura

Siria
Yes, I know, another SW:EU novel. But they're a special brand of crack, and it's fun revisiting the things I was so thoroughly addicted to in 1996/97. This is probably one of, if not the best, novel which has been written in the Star Wars extended universe. Like all the rest of the EU novels, this is really just glorified fanfiction, a fictional romp through the history which the films don't cover; however, it's one of the better examples of the genre. The storyline rollicks along, the character ...more
Chelsea
In my opinion, one of the best Star Wars EU novels. I found the characterization of Leia and Han particularly good, and I enjoyed the struggles Luke faced dealing with his new identity as a Jedi master.

She did a good job with the interplay between Han and Leia, considering that at the end of Return of the Jedi, their attraction is obvious, but they haven't spent time together or learned how to resolve disagreements. Well done.

No, there's no sex, only thwarted attempts at make-outs.

The only real
Jesse Booth
I'm surprised this book has such a low average rating. For a Star Wars book, it was actually pretty good. Beyond that, it's Sci Fi elements were spectacular, which completely enhanced the story for me.

Tyers brought in a new alien race (the Si Ruu) that capture humans and rips their living energies to droids. This is their entire galactic conquest, to rule the cosmos buy enslaving souls as batteries. I think it's a cool idea.

The story literally picks up where Return of the Jedi ends, with Luke st
Xa
I acquired this book from Audible; I only realized after that it was, unfortunately, the abridged version. I avoid abridged books if I can — they make me grumbly.

Even so, I enjoyed the book. My favorite part, though, was that it was acted out instead of merely read, but again, that's an audiobook feature. The story was fun; I hadn't ever thought to read Star Wars fiction before, though I do enjoy watching the movies.
John Yelverton
A fantastic addition to the original trilogy for those who must know what happened next.
Alex
*SPOILER ALERT* I would recommend this book to anyone who is a Star Wars fan, there is no age limit. This book is key in reading about the future of the Star Wars universe. The book takes place in the following moments after Star Wars IV, after second Death Star was destroyed. It started with Wedge finding an old messenger ship that was sent by the Empire. The message was telling the Emperor that the Ssi-Ruuk were attacking Bakura and that they were in need of reinforcements. The Alliance decide ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Not a day has passed since the big boom over Endor when Luke and Wedge retrieve a distress signal from the Imperials at Bakura. Spurred by a vision from Ben, Luke leads a force to Bakura, with Leia, Han, and Chewie (of course, Artoo and Threepio). At Bakura, our Rebels see the Imperial forces beleaguered in their fight against a strange alien species, the Ssi-Ruuk. But will Governor Wilek Nereus accept the Alliance's help? And can they defeat the Ssi-Ruuk anyway?

NOTE: I read the book many years
Miles Reid-lobatto

It's been years since I was a voracious reader of the Star Wars novels and it's been even longer since I read 'Truce at Bakura.' Honestly, it's pure fun, it's the Star Wars characters before they got bogged down in the huge sprawling expanded universe that the novels eventually became. The Luke, Leia and Han of the novels had settled into new roles so it's refreshing to see Luke as the powerful yet inexperienced Jedi instead of the enlightened Jedi Master of later books. In fact, some of the boo
John Coakley
In Kathy Tyers' novel "The Truce At Bakura," Tyers expands on the massive Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. Tyers' spin on the Star Wars universe is an original one that could be seen as a realistic addition to the existing plot of Star Wars. However, where "Bakura" falls slightly short is in depth. While I did enjoy the story, especially early on, the book lacked a natural ability to keep the reader interested. Personally, this is what separated "Bakura" so much from the existing "St ...more
DAAlvarez23
Truce at Bakura
Read this one several years ago.
Story takes place right after Return of The Jedi. The Alliance has become aware of a distress signal from a far outpost bordering the Unknown Regions and send assistance as part of the first diplomatic missions for the new to be New Republic.
Our heroes find a previously unknown alien race, the Ssi-ruuk, who drain the life-energy of sentient beings to power their ships, a technique called entechment.
Bakura is an Imperial outpost but because of the Ss
Ian Reay
Kathy Tyers did an amazing job with this book. I loved the fact that it picked up the day after the battle of Endor (Luke is still healing from his battle with Vader and the Emporer).
I guess it may have started a little slow, and I think the bit about Leia's psycological issues with Vader being her father and all was unnecessary, or over done. But these were truly minor annoyances at most. The rest of the novel made up for it.
I've read a lot of the Star Wars novels. In my opinion, "The Truce at
Marcin Kowalski
After the amazing news of new Star Wars movies in 2015, I decided, I need to read the post battle of Endor EU before those new movies cancel them from continuity (as did the prequels AND the Clone Wars with some pre-battle of Yavin tales). Although I am not going to read every little bit of EU (like the Jedi Prince stories. I will read those ones up on the wookiepedia... no need to waste time and money).
But lets get starting with the review. If one manages to forget, that this book's main plot c
Colin Barnes
Pretty decent read. The characters were familiar and the dialogue suited them well. I liked Luke's challenges but felt some of the action scenes were a little rushed in and out as were some of the climactic moments and I didn't get much of a sense that the characters were truly in trouble, but it was authentically star wars and a fun read.
Cathrine Bonham
I have had the honor of meeting the author Kathy Tyers and listening to her speak about the exciting adventure of being asked to write a Star Wars novel.

This novel picks up one day after the events of the movie Return of the Jedi. And there is so much that you don't give a second thought. How does Leia deal with knowing Vader is her father? How does Luke feel about being the last Jedi? The Emperor is dead but is the Empire? All of these questions and more are answered in this novel.

The interesti
JediKinght26
Taking place after the events of Return of the Jedi - This was a great Star Wars story. In addition to facing multiple threats from remnants of The Empire and an alien race which is attempting to invade Bakura, Luke, Leia, Han & Chewie face diplomatic struggles while trying to convince the people of Bakura to accept Alliance Aid and renounce the Empire. It's is always interesting to Leia in her diplomatic role in once chapter, then blasting away at storm troopers in another chapter. Also Le ...more
Daniel
Jurassic Park in the Star Wars universe...

I'm kidding but when I read the novel, Jurassic Park did come to mind. I never would have thought that evil dinosaurs where trying to enslave human spirit forces to power droid ships. That seemed like a stretch. Especially since it takes places right after Episode 6. I like seeing the aftermath of Episode 6. I like seeing Luke's struggle with himself and the temptations of the Dark side of the Force. Seeing Luke hurting from his battle with the Emperor,
Kym Andrew Robinson
This is one of the earlier expanded universe Star Wars novels that were quite popular in the 1990s. Fresh after the success of the Zahn series, many authors began to speculate and create a new Star Wars story arc.

Set immediately after the Battle of Endor this book introduces a new threat so that the remnants of the Empire and the Rebels-New Republic forces must unify in an effort to best this common foe.

Well written with an over obsession with the established film characters, a point which I fel
Philip
I'll confess I didn't read the whole of it, only the first quarter or so. I stopped because it was rather dull and plodding, requiring a lot of effort to keep going. I can only assume the book starts to get interesting later on, though that would be a rather paltry reward for the rather dull first 80 pages of the book.
Holly
I'd read this book years ago when it first came out, and being a bit of a Star Wars fan, so I picked this one off my shelf to read it again. I remembered it being a good book, and that's my assessment still after rereading it.

I think it will appeal most to fans of the original trilogy since the story takes places immediately after the Battle of Endor, where "Return of the Jedi" ends. All the original characters are here...Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie, etc. The story takes the reader through an excit
Ron
This is more like it.

Tyers combines a good SF story with classic SW elements to create a tale of appropriately heroic scale. Her task was eased by the positioning of this story immediately after the close of Episode Six, but she expanded the SW universe into new territory.
Kelly
This one was quite angsty, if I remember correctly. You know how Luke had his absurd, mocked to the end of time reaction to "Luke, I am your father"? Well, this book is Leia's reaction to the same thing. And romance with her and Han. And.. some other stuff I can't remember.
Merida
This is, hands down, the worst book in the EU. Forget about killing off Chewie or totally improbably enemies (or weapons) this has got to be the stupidest book in the history of SW. Except maybe the one that went between IV and V. That one was just weird.
Danny Runkel
I got the audiobook version of this and thought it was fantastic. There was classic star wars intro music, R2 made his beeps and warbles, Chewie roared his animal calls, and voices came over radios too! However, it was difficult to keep track of some of the characters as a few of them were very similar, with not much distinction being made between them. On a separate note, it was difficult to tell when Leah was speaking, because her voice was not very feminine, and in the later chapters of the b ...more
Stefan Keel
Started digging into the New Republic era expanded universe in anticipation for the new movies and to brush up on lore. This one was mediocre, really, with tons of reused phrases from the the films (episodes IV, V, and VI). Didn't really add to the expanded universe, ending up as just another adventure for the primary cast from the first three films. Still a bit of a compelling plot, new aliens with an interesting twist on the old "dominate the universe" motive, and the political tensions betwee ...more
Theron Couch
Because I’m not enough of a nerd with the Star Trek, it was only a matter of time before I turned my attention to the Star Wars books and gave them a try. So here I am, starting at the beginning of the post-Jedi timeline with Kathy Tyers’s The Truce at Bakura, the first in the long developing timeline that expands beyond the movies. While there was enough here to keep me interested—and several things that shined—this was an uneven outing for me to start an expanded universe journey.

Truce at Baku
Becky
I really like it, Luke Skywalker continues battling temptation to the Dark Side and wins. Luke also helps a mentally scarred boy turn to the Light, it's a thrilling book. :)
Larissa Carman
After re-watching the Star Wars Films my hundredth time, I really wanted to read fanfics about Luke and Leia becoming Jedi Masters together because I really loved their sibling relationship. My friend then told me that the movies actually continued on in books. I decided to give the first in the series a try and was delighted (and a little bit surprised) to find out I really enjoyed this story. The plot was very engaging and the ending was one big roller coaster ride of twists and turns! I look ...more
Jamon
weak compared to Zahn
Christopher Rush
And so it begins. The long, downward spiral into "not that great" Star Wars stories that just are there and don't feel authentic in any way. But let's not be pessimistic. We'll burn that bridge when we come to it. This has the feel of the lesser '80s Pocket Books Star Trek titles in which authors would write a sci-fi story and pretend it was Star Trek. This has that feel: Mrs. Tyers gives us no reason to believe she has spent any time thinking about the Star Wars universe other than maybe the ti ...more
Megan
This book came out in 1993, following The Last Command by about six months. There’s an argument to be made that if I can’t tell from the text itself whether Kathy Tyers had time to read the last Thrawn book or not, that it really doesn’t matter.

Chronologically, this book occurs in 01142 (until such time as I edit the timeline, which I plan to do sometime soon) — the very next morning after the events of Return of the Jedi. It was one of the first books I read — looks like about the seventh one;
Star Wars Bookwor...: Star Wars Comedy 4 27 Apr 23, 2014 05:10PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Luke has a crush 24 28 Apr 10, 2014 08:10PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Luke's Use of the Force 10 30 Apr 10, 2014 08:09PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Chewbacca Point of View 5 24 Apr 05, 2014 03:21PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: How do you feel about this taking place RIGHT after ROTJ 10 23 Mar 26, 2014 08:12PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Book 1 is... 3 49 Mar 24, 2014 06:47PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Book Discussion Guidelines 3 37 Mar 15, 2014 04:31PM
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Children of the Jedi (Star Wars)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars)
  • The Crystal Star (Star Wars)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • The Approaching Storm (Star Wars)
  • Survivor's Quest (Star Wars)
111948
She is the first child of Dr. H.C. Moore, an accomplished dentist and jazz musician who had served during WWII as a test pilot, and Barbara Putnam Moore, flutist with several California orchestras.

Kathy attended Montana State University in Bozeman, where she received a degree in microbiology, married, performed widely on her flute, and then became certified as a K-12 classroom teacher. After teach
More about Kathy Tyers...

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest (Star Wars)
  • Knight Errant (Star Wars)
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Darth Plagueis (Star Wars)
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6) Firebird (Firebird, #1) Firebird Trilogy (#1 - 3) Fusion Fire (Firebird, #2) Crown of Fire (Firebird, #3)

“…I would rather lay down my life for others’ freedom than die quietly in slavery.” 4 likes