Start by marking “Cameron's Court” as Want to Read:
Cameron's Court

Cameron's Court

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Cameron’s Court is set in modern day Chicago and is narrated by a troubled, young, native Chicagoan named Cameron Hoffenberg. The events he narrates take place one afternoon between a Christmas party for his high school achievements internship program and the ballet recital of his 4-year-old niece, Chloe. Under the physical and psychological turmoil of adolescence, a host ...more
Published February 8th 2012 by Patron Press (first published January 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cameron's Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cameron's Court

Sherri Huntley
Apr 24, 2012 Sherri Huntley rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Cameron's Court is a story of one young man's day on the anniversary of his father's death. The father's death isn't the center of the story but it shapes the day as we follow Cameron. The story is simple and consise but I feel like I should be taking away some coming of age lesson from it. Unfortunately if there is a lesson I missed it. It's very real though, Cameron seeks diversion after diversion without consiously realizing his effort to not delve too deeply into his own mind on this importa ...more
Johanna Bouchard
Aug 31, 2012 Johanna Bouchard rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book follows Cameron over the course of a single day, the anniversary of his father's death, as he struggles to find meaning and purpose in life. At 18 years old, he stands on the great precipice of adulthood, not knowing what he wants to make of himself, or how he wants to be remembered. He travels the streets of Chicago, meeting old friends, and making new ones, as he tries to come to terms with his future and to make sense of the world around him.

This book reminded me quite a bit of The
Kai
Apr 23, 2012 Kai rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Cameron's Court is a story about self-discovery. Cameron begins his story with the Christmas party at one of the State Attorney employee's house. He was disgusted with everybody and angry that there was no purpose in his life. Most of the anger was from his father's suicide a year to date. He couldn't understand why his father took his own life.

Cameron was a senior in high school and was going to study law. He has so many people giving him the advise of what kind of law to study and where the m
Alicia Sheridan
Sep 22, 2012 Alicia Sheridan rated it really liked it
I got this book free through Goodreads First Reads.

Cameron's Court by Daniel Amory is the story of a high school student who is trying to figure out how he will be remembered and to find his place in the game of life.

This book captures a day in Cameron's life and starts with him attending a Christmas party at the law firm he interns at. As the story goes on, the reader learns that Cameron's dad committed suicide in their basement by hanging himself. It appears that Cameron is still trying to cop
Vicky
Aug 06, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won "Cameron's Court" through a Goodreads giveaway.

I read it in one day. True, it isn't a long novel but still. I rarely find or take the time to do that. But it somehow felt like the novel needed to be read quickly almost with no interruption. Because the story takes place over one day, yes, but also because the entire novel is a reflexion, and I didn't want to interrupt the thought process. It felt like all that wandering through the city, throught Cameron's short life, through his observati
Zoe
Mar 02, 2012 Zoe rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I really liked Cameron's Court. Cameron is in high school. The story starts off with him at a holiday party for his internship program and takes you through the day leading up to his four year old niece's dance recital. It seems like throughout the day he is on two journeys--one he knows about and one he only realizes later in the story. His musings about society and the people around him are entertaining to say the least. He's a bit snarky at times, a bit critical and at the same time under his ...more
Sue
Jun 05, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
I won a copy of Cameron's Court by Daniel Amory, through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest.

archdandy
Sep 07, 2012 archdandy rated it it was ok

I went into this book wanting to like it but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood or maybe it was just the authors writing style but I found this book very depressing. It tells the story of a young Cameron through the day of his father's passing one year earlier.

I felt like the characters thoughts were very fragmented, almost manic and I wasn't sure if that was done purposefully or if it is just the way the author writes. I didn't like it because it made it so I couldn'
Charlotte
Aug 05, 2015 Charlotte rated it liked it
I got this book for free through a Goodreads giveaway.

I'm on the fence about this book. It was reminiscent of J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. The story had a good concept, and it flowed pretty well. I just didn't like how Holden Caufield-esqe Cameron was. Now that I'm thinking about it, both character's initials are the same, just swapped.

Overall, it was an ok book, but I still prefer The Catcher in the Rye.
Tami
Mar 01, 2012 Tami rated it it was ok
I haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 01/20/12
Received my copy last night, I have 8 others plus my current read in front, but hope to get to it soon. 2/10/12
Started last night, 2/28/12
Finished 2/29/12

Cameron is a senior in high school and questioning his life path. His day starts at a party for the internship he is part of and ends at the dance recital of his 4 year old niece. Along the day, he meets and talks with a whole diverse group of people.

I wanted to like this
Amanda Freeman
Mar 05, 2012 Amanda Freeman rated it really liked it
The book takes place in the span of a day, but the thoughts and feelings we experience through Cameron took a lifetime to accumulate. This is a coming-of-age tale that takes place in a frigid Chicago setting. The temperature is rather reflective of Cameron's numb emotional state. The story tends to lean toward the sad side, but letting go of one's innocence and embracing the future unforetold is an especially daunting task for Cameron. This book is a thought-provoking read that will elicit the e ...more
Consuelo Murgia
Sep 12, 2014 Consuelo Murgia rated it liked it
Shelves:
Reading books with young main characters is like travelling back in time and feeling young once again.
Tabitha
Sep 27, 2012 Tabitha rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
Unfortunately, I could not get through the first five pages. I actually went through with a pencil and marked all of the grammatical errors. I think Mr. Amory should probably have someone read through his book and fix the mistakes before he bothers to self-publish again. With that, it is still poorly written. There is no variation of sentence structure and he repeats needless information. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it. The storyline may be good, but I could not get past the writing.
Cheyenne
May 28, 2012 Cheyenne rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this book in the first-reads giveaway. It was very intresting to see all of Cameron's thoughts about life and very funny in some parts. I think Cameron encounters a lot of things that people can relate to which makes this book very meaningful. I enjoyed reading about Cameron's adventures that all take place in one afternoon as he struggles to discover who he is and how he fits into the world.
Rosemary Stoneman
Jul 10, 2012 Rosemary Stoneman rated it liked it
Shelves:
I received this in a Goodreads first reads contest.

This book takes place over the course of a day in young Cameron's life. The book was a nice short read that did have its thought provoking moments. Unfortunately this book did not really grab my interest so I never really got into it. It was nice and I could see it had promise but it was just not for me.
Marie
Mar 25, 2012 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The description of Cameron's Court sounded interesting so I entered the first-reads giveaway and to my surprise I was a winner! I enjoyed this book as it follow's the main character around for a day and we get to see his thought process. I am sure everyone has felt the same way making the book very relatable in that aspect.
Leigh
Apr 29, 2013 Leigh rated it liked it
I thought this book was good. I liked Cameron and found him interesting and at times funny. I got into this book and read it in an afternoon. It seemed fitting as the story takes place in a day of Cameron's life. Very enjoyable book. I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads give away.
Patricia Gallant
Sep 23, 2014 Patricia Gallant rated it really liked it
Cameron's Court is a YA novella that takes place over the course of one day. Sometimes I enjoy YA, sometimes I don't. This one was just okay for me. I got the message. Yes, there was a message. And I'm now thinking on that message. Perhaps I should do something more with my life.
Erika
Jul 09, 2012 Erika rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads!

I really liked this book, it was very interesting and a very short read.

This book is about a kid named Cameron. The whole book goes through one day of his life. The day that it goes through makes him find himself.
April
Feb 21, 2012 April rated it liked it
It is an interesting story. It reminded me of elements of "Catcher in the Rye" with how the main character thinks about things although by the end of the book Cameron does not come out quite so crazy. I liked Cameron's search for his legacy. Quick and easy read.
Amy Binkerd
Sep 01, 2012 Amy Binkerd rated it it was ok
Um.....I did not enjoy this book at all. I'm sure this is a very good author, but this felt like a big run-on sentence. There was only one page in the whole book that I thought "ok, this is good". The rest was just random thoughts that went no where.
Carol
Jun 05, 2012 Carol marked it as to-read
I think I have entered to win this book at least ten times here on Goodreads. I would love to win a copy as it sounds fairly interesting. However, I don't think my local library is going to get a copy. Oh well, maybe one of these days.
Lili
Apr 16, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, kindle
A teenagers jumbled thoughts spread over a period of time. Parts I liked other bits I found hard going overall a fairly good read.
Tracy
Dec 03, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book although it took awhile for me to read it. It was not a "could not put down" book but it was decent.
Trisha
May 20, 2012 Trisha marked it as to-read
fragmented teenage thoughts scattered over a short period of time. this sounds like it could be an a very interesting story
Phoenix Carvelli
Apr 05, 2012 Phoenix Carvelli marked it as to-read
Review copy won on Goodreads.com on 3-15-12.
Marielle
Apr 10, 2015 Marielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This was an awesomely amazing read
Christy
Apr 21, 2012 Christy rated it it was ok
Shelves: won-own
won on goodreads
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Joanne Collins
Joanne Collins marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
  • 6 Seconds of Life
  • Us
  • Wish I Could Have Said Goodbye
  • I Can Only Give You Everything
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Ascending Into Euphoria: A Collection of Poetry
  • A Legacy of Madness: Recovering My Family from Generations of Mental Illness
  • A Touch of Honor (The Honor Trilogy #1)
  • Seven Tears
  • The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy
  • Perfect Chaos: A Daughter's Journey to Survive Bipolar, a Mother's Struggle to Save Her
Daniel Amory, an award-winning writer, was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1975. He made his first foray into writing as a Staff Writer for The Daily Cardinal while in college at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In the fall of 1998, he began to work professionally as a journalist in connection with The New York Times Magazine, A&E Television and The History Channel, producing numerous documen ...more
More about Daniel Amory...