Start by marking “City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)” as Want to Read:
City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  325,396 Ratings  ·  16,500 Reviews
The "New York Times" bestselling Mortal Instruments continues--and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments seri
Published May 8th 2012 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about City of Lost Souls, please sign up.

Omshi Well , I am 13 and I read this book last week.
Lily Daher If you like books that tend to have unrealistic plots to them, sadistic people with secrets and thinking something is impossible when it's not and…moreIf you like books that tend to have unrealistic plots to them, sadistic people with secrets and thinking something is impossible when it's not and intensity I recommend the Young Elites, I love that series, I am currently waiting for the third one to come in but it is really good. Other books are the Infernal devices which was a prequel to this. Other series that are really good but don't relate to much to the description I put are Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Divergent.
There is another book that is pretty inappropriate but the plot and storyline are so worth it and that is an Ember in the Ashed by Sabaa Tahir and the sequel to this book. So much suspense and action and romance flow into this story and makes my heart beat a mile per minute.
Another thing that im just throwing out there is Harry Potter because it is AMAZING !(less)

Kiki
Mar 15, 2011 Kiki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shut-ins
Recommended to Kiki by: A shut-in
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Here's the deal.. this book was SLOW TO THE BONE, but the end result was worth the SLOWNESS. It just took forever and a day to get to the really interesting parts. I definitely liked this a lot more than City of Fallen Angels. I'll admit though after reading TID, nothing will compare to the beautifulness of that trilogy.
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

I didn't see a point to this book. Clare really should have ended her series at City of Glass. We all know that. Well, all of us who are not fans of Clare's work. However, since this book was 534 freaking pages, I figured that I should talk about a few things.

Clace
So these two are one person. I honestly don't see them as two separate characters sometimes because they are so similar and shitty. We never really get to experience these characters as themselves, rather they are al
hayden
Sep 13, 2010 hayden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More reviews at The Teen Bookworm!

City of Lost Souls took a while to digest. All night I could feel it in my gut like deadweight. All the subplots and characters and relationships and the fact that so much was going on made this book hard to break down.

But, finally, I woke up this morning and it all made sense. So, seeing as the book has been split into separate filing cabinets in my brain, I'm going to replicate that onto this review:

The Good:

I felt that Lost Souls was more compulsively readabl
Candace
Where I was disappointed with 'City of Fallen Angels', 'City of Lost Souls' definitely made up for it! I'm glad that I didn't hang it up after the last book and kept pushing forward with the series. This fifth book was full of action and suspense.

This time around, Jace is under the influence of Sebastian, the guy we all love to hate. Clary is kind of along for the ride, hoping she can break through to Jace. Meanwhile, Sebastian just keeps getting creepier and creepier.

For the most part, Jace s
Kitty

Alec.

*sigh*

Gurl, we need to talk. No, you know what. This is not your fault. This is the author's fault. Before I go on I should say MAJOR FUCKING SPOILERS!!!!!

So, I briefly decided posting a full review where I was going to talk about the series as a whole and all the characters that had these little aborted attempts at plot points. But I think it's time to come clean and confess that somewhere between here and the last book everyone else (with the possible exception of Izzy and Simon)bore the
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
*sobs* May!?!? 2012?!? May 2012?!?
*sobs some more* This cannot be! Really! It's like....too long! Too, too long!
I NEEEEEEEEEEED THIS BOOK! How can Cassandra Clare do this to me--ahh, I mean us! I need this book, like yesterday!

I don't know how I'm going to wait this long!

*sobs, wails, bawls some more.....*
Emelie
Jan 05, 2011 Emelie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update 12-05-21, finished reading: Wow. Absolutely 'wow'. Spectacular. City of Heavenly Fire, I'm coming for you...

Before reading CoLS (and this applies to CoHF as well)
How. Am. I. Supposed. To. Wait. A. Whole. Year. For. This. One? !!!!!!!!! I want it so badly, right now!

If - and it's not very likely to happen, but IF - the world ends in 2012, and this one has not come out, then I'll be so pissed that even the zombies, or demons, or Mother Nature, whatever, will shit their pants in fear of me.
Soumi
By The Angel!

Do I actually need to review? Holy Hell! What am I gonna write?

“Kill me, little sister. Kill me and you kill Jace, too.”

Let’s start with the story, as it picks up, where City of fallen Angels left off, the resurrection of Sebastian. As he binds him to Jace, the two became irrecoverably inseparable, what one feels, the other feels the same, the pain, the joy everything. Jace the one Clary loves, and Sebastian the o ne she hates most, and now they are one. The clave wants to summon e
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Two sides of Jace

photo cropped-jace-and-clary-shadowhunters_zpseafhdrrb.jpg

*Spoilers*

This one was much better than the last one. Lots of action. Jace and Clary still can't catch a break. Really the span of the whole series they are apart pining for each other with like a few weeks here and there that they can actually be together. Teenage angst at it's highest. I really wish she would have let them be together a little more in this series. I understand it's a ya series but if you want them to be this awesome powerfully connected couple that you just
Saniya
Dec 21, 2010 Saniya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shadowhunter
FUCK. GOD DAMN AMAZING TRAILER! I can't, I just can't breathe right now. O.O <3
"And I am going to burn down the world."
*Crying* My Man, my man. :'D

Scrolling down as usual on facebook. Lalala, nothing interesting.
*Cover passes*
lalal -Dramatic pause- "WTH? Did I jus-" *Scrolls up!*

"OMG OMG OMG" The cover! xD <3
(LOL! I just love the man in the pic)

Ok. Maybe, just maybe I was expecting Magnus or Alec... but this rocks too! GOD! They look so awesome!
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
If I could have won the lottery for every time I wanted to smack people in this book, I would have an infinite amount of money right now. But, I digress.

Welcome to the world of magic and twats. Just kidding :-D I love all of the characters even though I want to smack them at times.

I don't care what anyone thinks but I don't think that Simon and Isabelle should be a couple. I know it has the whole, let's everyone in the group be with someone vibe going, but I just don't see them as a couple. Ca
Pearl Angeli
Cassandra Clare did a wonderful job once again!

City of Lost Souls, the fifth book of The Mortal Instruments series, picks up where City of Fallen Angels left off. I don't want to give anything away by describing the things that have happened here, but the series already becomes more and more interesting. This sequel is actually a much better response compared to the City of Fallen Angels because all the events here were pretty much powerful and more remarkable.

I love how it started off as a bang
Whitney
I don't think I can even write a review for this just yet.

Oh my God. SO MANY FUCKING FEELS, I CAN'T EVEN.

PAGE 510-11. KILL. ME.

Lord, help me get through this 2-year wait for Heavenly Fire.

Photobucket
Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful)
TOP 5 SNARKIEST MOMENTS IN City of Lost Souls.

description

In my review of City of Fallen Angels (TMI #4), I listed The Top 5 Angsty Issues. Now it’s time to rank my favorite part of the TMI series: The Snark. So, let’s get to it, shall we? Listed below, are the Top 5 Snarkiest Moments in City of Lost Souls (TMI #5), from least to most snarktastic. Enjoy!

#5. What Do Werewolves & Frat Boys Have In Common?

A lot, actually! As the posting at The Praetor House dormitories proves.

“PRAETOR HOUSE RULES

No shape-
Gemma
Sep 09, 2010 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINAL REVIEW:

People keep leaving me annoying comments about how if I have nothing nice to say about the new Mortal Instruments books, then I "don't have to read them!" With all due respect, that opinion is wrong; I really do have to read them. No matter how much my loathing for City of Fallen Angels made me disgusted with Clare's decision to write a second trilogy, I have to finish these books. I've invested my time, money, energy and love (yes, love) into them, and that is why I keep reading. B
Bangadybangz
Apr 16, 2016 Bangadybangz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I finished this a while ago! Guess I forgot to share my thoughts...

Um... It was good? Lol
Not my favorite of the series, but I've heard CoHF is amazing, so I'm pumped to read that soon! :D
May
Oct 13, 2015 May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
NO PUEDO MÁS. QUIERO LEER EL SEXTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
P
Mar 17, 2014 P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“I never cared,” he said. “I wanted you anyway. I always wanted you.”

This book is a cliché. CoLS is one of the few books I know what will happen next. Jace was turned into a bad guy by Sebastian, and he convinces Clary to join him and her evil brother. I found out that this kind of story used to happen before, it's not a new thing to set our MCs apart with this bullshit to prove their true love. However, I still love CC's writing, it's intriguing and beautiful as always.

“You may have the wor
Angelyn
May 28, 2012 Angelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read the letter, here it is:

To my son,

If you are reading this letter, then I am dead.
I expect to die, if not today, then soon. I expect that Valentine will kill me. For all his talk of loving me, for all his desire for a right-hand man, he knows that I have doubts. And he is a man who cannot abide doubt.

I do not know how you will be brought up. I do not know what they will tell you about me. I do not even know who will give you this letter. I entrust it to Amatis, but I cannot se
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I managed to stop complaining about this book long enough to finally finish it. Although I do believe that City of Lost Souls was better than its predecessor, it wasn't that much better. I'm still disappointed in the direction that this series decided to go and I still stand by what I said before about the last three books being completely UNNECESSARY.

This series was called THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS for a reason. Three instruments for each of the three books for the first half of the series. Ci
Shreya
Oct 23, 2011 Shreya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
funny gifs

Ok guys, the OMG's and updates had to go because the humongous length of this review. You don't have to read it all if you don't want to, lol. ;D

The official blurb:

“The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed
Cait • A Page with a View
I'm so glad that Alec, Magnus, Isabelle, and Simon are finally stronger characters! I would totally give this book more stars if they were the only characters.

I'm still not into Clary & Jace and am somehow even more annoyed by them now than I was during that ridiculous incest storyline. Everything just seems like a plot device to keep them apart for the sake of angst and I really don't care! Like first they're siblings, then he thought he'd hurt her, now he's not himself, then he's burning
AMEERA
3/5
The reason to make me give this book 3 stars just for Magnus and Alec's , Simon and Isabelle and the rest just was bullshit
Rinoa Heartilly
WHAT??? Three motherfcking stars??! is probably how those of you who know of my special relationship with Clare's books are going right now. Hell, I'm more surprised than anyone. But let me explain.

There are two facts that make me appreciate this book 10 times more than all of the other ones in the series combined:

1.) It follows COFA which is the absolute low point of the whole series. Lets be serious folks, it's close to Breaking Dawn bad. Compared to that disaster, COLS was a masterpiece.

2.) S
James Trevino
Much, much better than City of Fallen Angels. But again, it takes a while until things get going. The final chapters are great, but the middle part of the book... man, oh, man. Basically the reason why this is a 4/5 and not less is because of the ending and the chapters involving Simon.
The whole Maia/Jordan thing though was so boring and endless. It read like filler and it felt like filler. The book could also do without Clary dramatizing about every single detail in her life in every freaking
grace
Aug 12, 2014 grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Re-read) SO MANY FEELINGS
Victoria Hansen
Mar 13, 2016 Victoria Hansen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"

Mortal Instruments: City of Lost Souls is the fifth instalment of the Mortal Instruments franchise, written by Cassandra Clare. It follows the events after City of Fallen Angels, and focuses on finding the missing Jace, who is now working with Sebastian under a spell. The plot is forced and boring, the writing is dull
Pam
4 hallelujah now we're getting somewhere stars

Narrated by: Molly C. Quinn

Jace and Sebastian bound together in an unbreakable curse

will the real Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern please stand up...

and Clary is hell bent on saving Jace any way she can ... even if it means playing happy home with Sebastian.

City of Lost Souls is the fifth book in the Mortal Instruments series. Where we get to see a different side to each character...

While we are heavily invested in Jace and Clary's story, I can't d
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
SPOILERS GALORE! So, yeah. Watch out.

Oh, I seem to have kind of forgotten to review this. Well, a mixture of that and the fact that I don't really want to review it because I don't have that much to say.

Giving it four stars was pretty generous. It was actually somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me, but I decided to be nice and go with the higher rating. Don't get me wrong––it was still an enjoyable book. I just feel that at this point, Cassandra Clare is kind of just continuing this series for
Booktastic Bookah...: May 2017 Series Read-City of Lost Souls 3 11 May 29, 2017 05:29AM
"With hope at last, William Herondale" 12 289 May 21, 2017 07:35PM
Which is your favorite Mortal Instruments book? 75 422 Mar 07, 2017 04:35PM
*Spoiler* Dirty. Sexy. Club. Scene. Between Clary & Jace. - What do you think? 107 5135 Feb 09, 2017 12:44PM
Favorite Scene/Least Favorite Scene 68 419 Nov 07, 2016 05:47PM
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Eternally Yours (Immortal Beloved, #3)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3)
  • Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

“I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"
"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig you out of the ashes. I know," Alec said.”
2192 likes
“Basia coquum," Simon said. "Or whatever their motto is."
"It's 'Descensus Averno facilis est.' 'The descent into hell is easy," said Alec. "You just said "Kiss the cook."
"Dammit," said Simon. "I knew Jace was screwing with me.”
1561 likes