Start by marking “Marta and the Nazis” as Want to Read:
Marta and the Nazis

Marta and the Nazis

From the back cover:
"Marta rushes toward the station with her father. Everywhere are crowds of people wearing swastikas, and tanks and armored cars throng the streets. The Nazis have taken over the city, and Jews like Marta and her father must flee for their lives.
Will they be stopped at the gate? Will they be arrested on the train?
Fearful and uncertain, Marta finally slum
Published November 1974 by Scholastic Book Services

Nancy
Aug 26, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: europe, history, fiction
I read this as a kid in the 1970s, and it has stuck with me all of my life. It was the first book I ever read about the Holocaust, and it had a huge impact on me. I would love to get my hands on it again and re-read it. It was so powerful -- especially a scene where Marta, a young Jewish German girl in (i think it was) Berlin, has to go onto public transportation for the first time wearing a star on her clothes. Very chilling and effective. This book started a life-long interest in this history ...more
Michelle
Dec 25, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
I read this book ad a child and have been trying to remember the title for many years. (All I could remember was a scene.) Thanks to the "What's The Name of That Book???" group, I just recently found the title and ordered the book. I'll post again once i re-read this story to see if it was all I remember...
Hosanna
Sep 01, 2015 Hosanna rated it really liked it
This book is a good representation of how life under Nazi invasion in Austria would have been. As you read, you could tell that the author did lots of historical investigation to make this book accurate. This book made me feel for little Marta, and other parts made me laugh at loud at her funny antics. I would recommend this book for children ages 8-13.
Ella
Ella rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Violet
Violet rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Lize
Lize rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Jackchristopherhill
Jackchristopherhill rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Andrea Sampson
Andrea Sampson rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2012
Abby
Abby added it
May 12, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Ms. Jacobs
Ms. Jacobs marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Coody Homeschool
Coody Homeschool marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Abi
Abi added it
Jan 25, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
What's The Name o...: diamonds in doll's baby bottle, set in WWII [s] 5 54 Dec 19, 2011 02:20PM
Frances Cavanah (1889-1982) was born in Indiana and attended DePauw University. She wrote many shortstories, articles and textbooks for children. She is also credited with the following books: Boyhood Adventures of Our Presidents, Pocahontas, A Little Girl of Jamestown, Abe Lincoln Got His Chance, Our Country's Freedom, Jenny Lind's America, When Americans Came to New Orleans, We Wanted to be ...more
More about Frances Cavanah...