Start by marking “I, Cthulhu, or, What’s a Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing in a Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W)?” as Want to Read:

Neil Gaiman's contribution to Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

Available here...

or here...

Published December 28th 2009 by tor.com (first published 1986)

Be the first to ask a question about I, Cthulhu, or, What’s a Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing in a Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W)?

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jan 31, 2015 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovecraft fans with a sense of humour
4.5
I was fully prepared to hate this story. How can a Cthulhu story be funny?! I was so wrong. This humorous nostalgic narrative is fantastic.

description
Cthulhu tells a story of his life to Whateley. Let me show you how funny this story is:
' Don’t look so shocked, Whateley. I find you humans just as revolting.

Which reminds me, did they remember to feed the shoggoth? I thought I heard it gibbering.'
Or:
' Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fthagn.

You know what that means, don’t you?

In his house
Nandakishore Varma
Feb 16, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
A truly amusing take on the Cthulhu Mythos. Very Gaiman-esque.
KumeKei
Aug 13, 2012 KumeKei rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-uk, humor
Funny take on Lovecraft's Chtulhu mythos with tons of references to his work.
I got curious on where Chtulhu's house was located so I tracked it down.

Jokoloyo
Feb 16, 2015 Jokoloyo rated it really liked it
A fun quick read parody. From the title we could safely guess this is not a horror/dark fantasy.
Claudia
Mar 24, 2016 Claudia rated it really liked it
If in Lovecraft’s classic tale, The Call of Cthulhu, we learn of its existence from others PoV, here you will be enchanted by Cthulhu itself, through Gaiman’s playful words.

Really funny one, with an awesome illustration by Brian Elig.

And here is where you can find it: http://www.tor.com/2009/12/28/i-cthul...
Glire
2015 Reading Challenge #08: A funny book.

"Cthulhu, they call me. Great Cthulhu.

Nobody can pronounce it right.

Are you writing this down? Every word? Good. Where shall I start -- mm?"

Así comienza esta corta, ingeniosa, genial y divertida historia, en la que el Gran Cthulhu -entre pausas para alimentar al shoggoth- cuenta su vida a Whateley.

Una gran pieza de humor, inclusive para aquellos que no disfrutaron The Call of Cthulhu (como yo :P).

"You know what killed off the dinosaurs, Whateley? We di
Nick Kives
Aug 29, 2013 Nick Kives rated it liked it
Normally, I wouldn't have marked this, but I noticed it here on Goodreads and the title is entertaining enough.

For one of the earliest published works of Gaiman, almost 30 years ago, it is kind of weak. You can see that his prose have got so much better over time, even if this was just written for fun. An entertaining enough piece though.
Paul  Perry
A very nice story from Mr G, in which he manages to inject humour into a Cthulhu tale without making it too twee. Very light hearted, but with just a soupcon of overwhelming existential dread, helped on both counts by the many Mythos references, both overt and more subtle.
Zula
Jul 26, 2016 Zula rated it liked it
Amuzanta.
Lata
Dec 25, 2016 Lata rated it really liked it
#24 in short stories read this month.

This story is silliness. A light, funny read, which, if I were more familiar with the whole Lovecraft mythos would probably be even funnier, but I liked the bloodiness and foul aspect of the story related by Cthulhu to Whateley. I feel like Cthulhu is a pompous, upright, proper English gentleman in this story, so the whole tone of this story feels more ridiculous and amusing.
Eric
Dec 29, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Cthulhu mythos
Not Neil Gaiman's finest work -- it was written back in 1986 -- but an interesting short story from the point of view of dread Cthulhu himself. It can be found here for a free quick online read.
Antonomasia
Even funnier than the title suggested.
Priyanka
Apr 05, 2015 Priyanka rated it really liked it
Mr. Gaiman, I down a bottle of Shoggoth's Old Rye in a toast to you. You are the spinner of new myths and the lord of dreams who transcends genre. I salute you!
Cristhian
Jan 05, 2016 Cristhian rated it it was amazing
Creo que es de lo más divertido que he leído en mucho tiempo.
Lástima que sea tan corto.

Highlights:

Cthulhu, they call me.
Great Cthulhu.

Nobody can pronounce it right.

I was spawned uncounted aeons ago, in the dark mists of Khhaa'yngnaiih (no, of course I don't know how to spell it. Write it as it sounds), of nameless nightmare parents, under a gibbous moon.

I never knew my parents.

My father was consumed by my mother as soon as he had fertilized her and she, in her turn, was eaten by mys
Nadine Jones
So I came to Earth, and in those days it was a lot wetter than it is today. A wonderful place it was, the seas as rich as soup and I got on wonderfully with the people. Dagon and the boys (I use the word literally this time). We all lived in the water in those far-off times, and before you could say Cthulhu fthagn I had them building and slaving and cooking. And being cooked, of course.

For someone who is not a big Lovecraft fan, I seem to read a lot of Cthulhu stories. This was clever, and pro
Antonis
Jan 01, 2014 Antonis rated it really liked it
A very funny and interesting free short story. It has the form of a kind of interview where (oh! the great) Cthulhu reminisces and talks about how it all came to be. For those that are well acquainted with the whole spectrum of Lovecraftian mythos, this story is choke full of references and mentions. Gaiman as usual writes in a style that seems deceptively light, as he sets a very modern tone for the story and great Cthulhu's narration. As a Cthulhu-fan, I enjoyed this short story immensely and ...more
Velma
Dec 23, 2015 Velma rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cthulhuians & Gaiman fans
Recommended to Velma by: Tor.com
Better be steeped in The Mythos or have your Google-fu finger limbered up for this one - it's chock-a-block with references, which is part of its charm. Mostly what I liked was the funny. Weird fiction-cum-literary-amuse bouche.
Ilse
Dec 29, 2016 Ilse added it
Shelves: 2016
I don't know what I just read
But it was great
Badseedgirl
Dec 03, 2016 Badseedgirl rated it it was ok
Meh.
Charissa
Well that was... something.
James Jacobs
Dec 13, 2016 James Jacobs rated it it was amazing
Wow...
Patty
Mar 16, 2017 Patty rated it really liked it
Made me chuckle and wish I had a shoggoth to introduce people to.
Kathleen Townsend
Dec 23, 2015 Kathleen Townsend rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Review originally found on Looking Glass Reads.

It’s Throwback Thursday once more. This week we read a short story by Neil Gaiman titled I, Cthulhu, or, What’s a Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing in a Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W)? It’s a fun story with what is possibly the longest title that I ever have (and maybe ever will) come across.

But what, exactly, is it about?

As the title suggests, I, Cthulhu is a short story based on the Cthulhu mythos. Originally publ
Julia
It pains me to say that Neil Gaiman—one of my all-time favorite authors—absolutely adores HP Lovecraft—one of the authors I most detest—but adore him he does. Which is why, of course, he wrote this humorous short story, in which Lovecraft’s most famous monster, Cthulhu, grants a human named Whateley a rare interview.

[image error] Cthulhu and Whateley, illustrated by Brian Elig.png

Cthulhu, it seems, wants to recount his—her?—its?—life story, from his (we’ll arbitrarily go with male pronouns) swamp-soaked youth on a distant planet beneath a blood
Emma
Nov 28, 2015 Emma rated it did not like it
mr. gaiman, i'm so in love with your style, the combination of the pompous gothic and cool urban, really, i love that so much. however, it just didn't fit here. taking lovecraft's theme and making it some sort of a 'cool poem'... the basic charm of cthulhu is the mystery. the lack of his words. we only got the author's misty description, so it could be anything, and possibly much more terrifying... while you took us to an alternate universe where cthulhu is one of many and talks like a wannabe t ...more
Verena
Oct 11, 2016 Verena rated it really liked it
"As I remember we spent the next moon discussing where we were going. Azathoth had his hearts set on distant Shaggai, and Nyarlathotep had a thing about the Unspeakable Place (I can't for the life of me think why. The last time I was there everything was shut). It was all the same to me, Whateley. Anywhere wet and somehow, subtly wrong and I feel at home."

Awesome, even for people who have only a passing acquaintance with Lovecraft. There even is a parrot joke. (Or is that an eldritch parrot joke
Kit★
I won't give this a star rating because I'll admit I was a little lost. I've never read Lovecraft yet (though I've read works by others inspired by him), but I will most definitely one of these days when I find a nice hardback of his collected works. So, I mean, I have a vague idea of what it was about, but due to my ignorance on the subject, I wasn't in on the joke. I'll have to come back and read it again after I've read some Lovecraft and learned more about the whole Cthulu thing. Interesting ...more
Vivian
Apr 08, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, freebies, humor
Cheeky and the references are entertaining in this Cthulhu memoir. Humorous and playful short

Street Fighter movie, pretty darn sure it's intentional, but even if it's not it's still funny.

Lewis Carroll--but really Lovecraft since I'm way less cool and have a familiarity with Carroll that I don't of HP.

Anywhere wet and somehow, subtly wrong and I feel at home.

FREE, read here

Luciana Darce
Nov 10, 2012 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it
I, Cthulhu é narrada pelo próprio Cthulhu para seu ‘biógrafo’, Wilbur Whateley, de O Horror de Dunwich e, teoricamente, faz parte das anotações de Wilbur lidas pelo Dr. Armitage. Bebe bastante na tradição lovecraftiana e faz uma série de menções, mas é absolutamente cômica.

Sério, o Cthulhu desse conto parece um velhinho contando as glórias de antigamente. “Ei, sabe os dinossauros? É, fomos nós que extinguimos eles num único churrasco”. Eu dei muitas risadas… pena que seja tão curtinho… não me im
Sayantan Ghosh
May 21, 2014 Sayantan Ghosh rated it really liked it
Neil Gaiman's macabre tribute to one of the greatest ever to have endorsed the genre, H.P. Lovecraft.
More importantly, this one talks about 'Carcosa' and 'The King in Yellow', thus reminding me of TRUE DETECTIVE. That 4th star is for that!
P.s.: A wonderful surprise awaits at the end, where Gaiman talks about the special yet little-known camaraderie between Lovecraft and Wodehouse, and his ecstasy for being in possession of their only collaborative work together.
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • Selfies
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • They're Made Out of Meat
  • The White Ship
  • Blood-C, Vol. 01 (Blood-C, #1)
  • Popsy
  • The Shadow War of the Night Dragons, Book One: The Dead City. Prologue
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8
  • From Hell with Love (The Forsaken Comedy Book 1)
  • The Lotus Eater