Start by marking “Grand & Humble” as Want to Read:
Grand & Humble

Grand & Humble

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Harlan is the most popular kid in his high school, and Manny may be the least. And yet, Harlan and Manny both share the same sense of foreboding, that something is not quite right in either of their lives.

They have something else in common as well, even if they don’t know it. Fourteen years ago, when they were both three years old, a tragedy occurred–an accident that would
Published November 24th 2011 by Buddha Kitty Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Grand & Humble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grand & Humble

Molly
Jun 27, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very, very confusing. I did not understand the ending AT ALL, but it was confusing in a good way I think, as if it was actually written to be confusing. I'm glad I read it. I didn't put it down once while I was reading it, just sat for three hours reading, until the book was finished. I am a swimmer like Harlan, and this is the first book I've read that is even close to being accurate about the sport. I'm really critical of books that have swimmers in it, because it seems like they always ...more
Karen Laurie
Jan 05, 2015 Karen Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a YA book, that would have been helpful to know when I was looking for a book to read, but it got good reviews, so I downloaded it, and was not disappointed. It's a super quick read, but clever and unlike other YA books I've read, it speaks appropriately to it's intended audience. I thought both of the main characters talked, acted and responded just like a kid their age should. There was no overly witty placating banter about topics way over their heads, which was nice and reduced the comm ...more
Felicia
Oct 26, 2008 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I probably died a little bit at the end of this one. The twist was one that I did not see coming. Well, I mean, I vaguely saw something, but nothing like this.

It was a book worthy of being our book of the month and, although it wasn't scary like I thought it was going to be, it was a suitable October read nonetheless.

In an effort to not have to put a spoiler alert on this, I'm just going to say that I loved this one in a manner akin to the way I loved Invisible. No lie.

Probably the most amazing
Scot
Aug 16, 2016 Scot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author, in a prefatory note, says this is a revised and improved version of a novel he wrote earlier. Such an introductory comment might have raised my expectations too high.

This is a young adult novel with two protagonists, whose separate but related stories and settings are told in alternate chapters. Harlan is the rich, popular alpha in their high school culture, a charming jock who is class president, while Manny is the lonely theatre nerd, an av kid in charge of lighting. But they are b
Jef Blocker
Jul 29, 2016 Jef Blocker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I sat down to read Grand & Humble by Brent Hartinger before bed, I had only intended to read a few pages; a few hours later I had read over half of this suspenseful YA thriller.

Grand & Humble tells the story of two teenage boys: Harlan, the popular star swimmer, and Manny, the unpopular theater geek. Harlan begins experiencing scary premonitions of his own death, while Manny suffers from nightmares of being in an automobile accident.

Harlan's fear creates tension between him and his
Gianmarco
Jul 27, 2016 Gianmarco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On our way to nowhere, we may find ourselves at a crossroads, that magical, daunting place where it falls upon us to make a decision and take a direction. To shape our life, or have it shaped by others. Grand&Humble is all about that, in more ways than one might expect.

Disclaimer: I herein refer to the 2016 revision of the previously published Grand n Humble, not to the 2006 version. Furthermore, I kept this spoiler-free.

The book rests on a simple structure, a parallel/comparison between tw
Franklin
Jun 14, 2016 Franklin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2016
Sharon
I was given an electronic copy of Grand & Humble by BK Books and NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Told in alternating viewpoints, Grand & Humble is the story of two teenagers whose lives seem very separate, with a crucial difference. Both boys have been plagued with nightmares and a foreboding feeling that something is not right. Will Manny and Harlan be able to solve their puzzling symptoms before it ruins both of their lives?

The biggest problem with this story is the fact th
Kandice
Aug 11, 2016 Kandice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author’s foreword says this is a rewrite to clean it up and clear some inconsistencies in anticipation of using this as the source for a screenplay. Boy am I glad I didn’t read the original version because this was a mess. I don’t see how this could ever work as a screenplay. Maybe a Disney Teen movie, with a ton of work, but a real movie? Never.

I think he was trying to be clever and mystical, but the story just came across as silly. Two boys, having similar visions of sorts with parents who
Gino Alfonso
Apr 09, 2016 Gino Alfonso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books by Brent Hartinger. I'd read this book years ago when it was in hardback form, I recieved an Ebook edition to read as a read to review as there are some slight changes. But I read it with a new eye and fell in love with this story of mistaken identity all over again. A very different and refreshing take on teenage angst that makes Brent a staple in young adult literature. I think this is a very important book for kids to read showing them it's ok to be yourself no matter ...more
Fleur Bradley
Nov 05, 2009 Fleur Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a quick recap: Grand & Humble is told from two perspectives: Manny and Harlan. Manny is poor, Harlan is rich, to put it simply—though the characters have a lot more depth beyond their economic status. We follow both as they are plagued by visions of their own death, visions they’re trying to explain. The book switches between the two guys’ point of view, which works very well for keeping the pages turning. A snappy, engrossing read.

The story has nice diversity to it: a deaf character, a
Melissa
Wealthy, athletic and popular, Harlan is the son of a United States Senator. His controlling mother forces him to spend all his time at charitable photo opportunites. Manny is the lighting designer for the high school drama club. He spends his free time making movies with his one close friend, Elsa. Harlan and Manny are having frequent nightmares about death. They go to the same high school, interact with some of the same people, and yet know nothing of each other and the horrific dreams they ha ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Two boys, who on the outside couldn't be more different. Harlan Chesterton is good looking, popular, the rich son of a prominent Senator. He's an ace on the school swim team, he's dating the beautiful Amber, his best friend, Ricky, has street cred. If it weren't for the debilitating panic attacks, along with the flashes of tragic premonition that Harlan experiences, his life would be perfect. After all, that's what his mother is aiming for--running the lives of
Christian
Mar 13, 2011 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will just state at the beginning that I am a big Hartinger fan. I really liked Geography Club and The Order of the Poison Oak, and I'm sure I'll like The Last Chance Texaco when the copy I ordered from the Devil's Den last weekend arrives.

Grand & Humble is different from the two previous books I've read. Alternating chapters tell the stories of Harlan and Manny. From the flap copy:
Harlan's a popular kid and Manny's a geek.

But something strange is happening to both of them. Harlan is slowly
Panos
Aug 14, 2014 Panos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brent Hartinger never disappoints, and Grand & Humble is a brilliant addition to his already mightily impressive body of work.
Amazingly well written, with colourful and engaging characters, an intriguing plot with a rather fascinating look at the workings of fate (or chance or destiny or karma or whatever you want to call it), and an ending that is as unpredictable as it is satisfying. A must-read for fans of atmospheric thrillers.
Justin
Feb 24, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pz
Grand & Humble is a about two high school students, Manny and Harlan. The book alternates between narrators. They both get strange premonitions. For Harlan, they come in the form of ominous visions whereas for Manny, they come in the form of nightmares.
I found this book interesting at the beginnings since there's mystery and there's suspense, but the ending was a little predictable (at least for me).
Dick
Jul 31, 2016 Dick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dick by: Goodreads reviewer
This was a very quick and fun read. It is a true mystery that involves two teenagers who are having nightmares or premonitions that are similar. For the most part, I was left wondering and speculating what was going on. It wasn't until the very end of the book that I found the answer.

This ending surprised me in a way that I feel will urge me to look for the next Hartinger book that promises to be equally surprising.
Alicia
I wouldn't call this a thriller or even really a mystery, though there is a question about how Manny and Harlan are connected as they alternatively share their stories pushing the book forward. It's on the shorter side and there isn't an 'explosive' ending, but it's a satisfying story about connections and consequences and the mystery of life (in a very non-serious existential way).
Brenda
Apr 11, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I had classified this book as a thriller in the high school library where I work, but will be changing it to a mystery. After reading other reviews, I was excited to see what the twist ending was. Now I must say not a fan AT ALL of the ending, it left me feeling incomplete and not in a good way. If this was the writer's intent, he nailed it.
Marinak
Aug 02, 2016 Marinak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book from start to finish. It was very easy reading as most YA novels are but still kept me intrigued. There was a great twist at the end and the characters were both likeable and had interesting perspectives and back stories. Easy book to finish if you have a couple of hours or a lunch break or two to kill.
Liam Arne
Mar 26, 2016 Liam Arne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite liked this piece! At first, I was not sure I would finish it, but I'm so glad I did. I was constantly guessing and analyzing throughout the novel but the ending was very surprising. The ending moved me and made me reconsider my identity, something I often associate with a good book. Check it out and stay with it!
McCree
Aug 14, 2016 McCree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grand & Humble.... more importantly the intersection between

Brilliant original concept. Loved the ending! Easy quick read. Through bad reviews are mostly from seemingly ignorant people who are not intelligent enough to comprehend the book. I am not saying that to be mean; it's simply the truth.
Ariel G.
Sep 30, 2012 Ariel G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book looks at the lives of 17-year-olds Manny and Harlan. All they have in common is that they suffer from nightmares and visions relating to accidents in the past. As Manny and Harlan discover more about their ominous pasts, you discover how their lives are intertwined.

I loved this book, mostly because the author shows you two stories and asks you to piece them together, but when you do you are blown away by how amazingly the stories fit. If you have read the bookHoles by Louis Sachar, th
Julia
Nov 18, 2009 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julia by: On a Hartinger kick this summer
Gael
Jul 29, 2016 Gael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book

I love this book it was a trick throughout the entire book with a surprise ending that reveals something you thought you would have noticed. The ending will leave you stunned!! One of my new favourites . 5 stars all the way
Ronnell Gibson
Aug 21, 2016 Ronnell Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got sucked in right from the start, staying up late just to finish. The ending was confusing, I was waiting for another chapter. Then, the lightbulb went on and I "got" the twist ending. Curious to know if others struggled with the ending.
J.
Aug 03, 2016 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It really kept me up. I love the mystery and the how the characters interacted, their roles in the plot, and the reveal - OH! When I realized it, I had goosebumps and though, "Now this is a pretty cool way to tell a story."
Deborah Macarthur
Jul 30, 2016 Deborah Macarthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
I am so glad I gave this book a try. I really enjoyed the story and I loved the way it gradually came together to its conclusion through so many twists and turns. Leaves the reader thinking long after the book is finished.
Valerie Worster
Easy read

Good but not great. There's a twist at the end that is interesting, but the more I thought about it, the less it made sense. I wasn't interested enough to read back thru to find my answers.
Rachel Miller Wright
A young-adult psychological thriller "lite" - cute but obvious and heavy-handed. Major plus - this was an extremely quick read! Reading it felt like watching a quick episode of TV show on ABC Family.
  • Peter
  • The Year They Burned the Books
  • The Evolution of Ethan Poe
  • When You Don't See Me
  • A Really Nice Prom Mess
  • Raise Your Glass (Tales from Foster High, #3)
  • The Drowning of Stephan Jones
  • The Summer Of My Discontent
  • Outtakes of A Walking Mistake
  • The Sixth Form
  • Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)
  • Eight Seconds
  • Bullied
  • The Arizona Kid
  • Damned Strong Love: The True Story of Willi G. and Stefan K.
I am Brent Hartinger, and I live to write.

For the last twenty years, I have made my living writing just about everything that involves words.

My latest project is a trilogy of "new adult" novels called Russel Middlebrook: The Futon Years. They're about a gay guy in his twenties, Russel Middlebrook, trying to make sense out of love and life.

The books in Russel Middlebrook: The Futon Years are:

* The
More about Brent Hartinger...