Start by marking “Breaker Boys: How a Photograph Helped End Child Labor” as Want to Read:
Breaker Boys: How a Photograph Helped End Child Labor

Breaker Boys: How a Photograph Helped End Child Labor (Captured History)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Little boys, some as young as 6, spent their long days, not playing or studying, but sorting coal in dusty, loud, and dangerous conditions. Many of these breaker boys worked 10 hours a day, six days a week all for as little as 45 cents a day. Child labor was common in the United States in the 19th century. It took the compelling, heart breaking photographs of Lewis Hine an ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Compass Point Books

To ask other readers questions about Breaker Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaker Boys

Kelly Williams
This book was very informational. It really caught my attention the way author was actually telling two stories at the same time. The first story is written to demonstrate the harsh conditions and exploitation of child labor in the 1800’s and the early 1900’s. The second story is about a journalist/photographer at that time who was trying to change things through the use of education with his photographs.
I especially liked how the author used a lot of the photos to describe the conditions to
Kellie Murphy
I debated between giving this book three or four stars. I personally didn't find it an entirely intriguing or great read. Just like a historical fiction, this informational text genre just isn't my cup of tea. Admittedly, I did more skimming of the pages than a detailed, engaged reading, and finished it pretty quickly. However, from the perspective of using this book in the classroom, I could have given it four stars rather than three.

It tells about child labor in the coal mines in 19th century
Haley Donahue
The whole time I was reading this book I was wondering at what age, what grade, and in what situation would I read this long book? I figured that this book would be ideal for independent reading, maybe even research on coal or child labor, for a student in a higher elementary level. I enjoyed all the historical pictures because I enjoy history and I would recommend this book to a student who also is interested in history. I think this book would be best for a student who is doing research on thi ...more
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Lexile Level: 1020

Pages: 64

Summary: During the 1800s and early 1900s in America, coal was king. Many men spent many hours deep inside dark, dusty mines bringing up coal. But unfortunately, it wasn’t only men in those mines. Many mine owners hired boys as young as 6 to be breaker boys in their mines. These boys would work alongside the men in dangerous and often times deadly conditions. These boys were mostly unknown outside of the mine towns until Lewis Hine helped change that. Hine was an inves
Kyleigh Hiser
This book was incredibly interesting, informative, and educational. I loved the layout of the book. The large and precisely placed pictures were evocative and fascinating. The text was informative and accurate. Some of the facts and horrible stories of the conditions of child workers from this time were horrifying. The book does a great job of illustrating how Hine used his pictures to raise awareness throughout the country and eventually change laws. The timeline at the end of the book was a gr ...more
Erin
This book is a part of the Captured History series; each of the books is about a photograph that changed the nation. The photographs of Lewis Hine featured in this book are amazing. I would recommend this book based on the photographs of child labor but I would try to find additional information to supplement if I were going to use this text with children.

The text is informative but lacking at the same time. I would have loved it if early in the book there was a description and a diagram of a br
Tracey
Child labor was common in the United States in the 19th century. Children, sometimes as young as five or six, worked in tobacco companies, mills, and mines. The worst places were the mines, where young boys spent long days sorting coal in dirty and dangerous conditions. These young workers, called breaker boys, worked 10 hours a day, six days a week, for as little as 45 cents a day. And their existence was unknown beyond their mining towns.

It took the photographs of Lewis Hine and others to expo
Haley Bisesi-adkins
Although this is not my favorite type of book I thought it was interesting to read. I found the photographs to be very interesting to see the pictures and I can see how these pictures made an impact on Child Labor at the time. I also was interesting in reading about the children working in the coal mines becasue my extended family were coal miners. Overall, it wasnt a bad book it just wasn't my favorite genre becasue I prefer a good fictional story to get lost in.
Barbara
I've long been an admirer of Lewis Hine and the photographs he took of kids at work, and this book brings much attention to one of those photographs. Hine took pictures of the coal mines in Pennsylvania, and this particular shot shows mostly children with blackened faces as they leave their dirty jobs. The author provides background on child labor and child labor laws and the Progressive movement that supported education for children rather than hard labor. Hine's photographs, including this one ...more
Carrie
Using this as our central text for a study of the evolution of child labor in the U.S. Well written, engaging, and I LOVED the focus on photographs and how they led to social change. This is really helpful with the Common Core's new emphasis on source texts, viewing, and using print and media texts. A good book just to read or as a teaching text in the classroom!
Raeanne Ameele
A fantastic read for anyone in 5th grade or above. Parents and children need to sit together with this one. The photography is amazing and given the space it deserves on each page.
Mrs. Carstens
The photographs and their descriptive captions were fantastic. I can't wait to read other books in this series!
Mrs. Trimble
I would actually give this book 4.5 stars. It was really, really good. It's a little longer than most juvenile NF (55 pages) but the photographs are excellent! This book is about the photos of Lewis Hine and how they brought national attention to the child labor movement during the late 1800's early 1900's. Specifically, the book focuses on the young boys working in the Pennsylvania coal mines (breaker boys). To this day, Hines' photos are still featured in numerous museums and magazines. A pict ...more
Samantha
The books in this Captured History series are fantastic. Using photographs, the author describes how pictures were used to bring awareness to social issues and to educate people.

In this book Lewis Hine used photographs of children working in coal mines to help establish child labor laws. He used brief captions to convey information about the photos, but mostly let the images speak for themselves. Powerful, informative, with a timeline, glossary, further reading section, and bibliography this bo
Shaeley Santiago
Progressive, Lewis Hine, took photos of all kinds of children workers, but his most famous photo is one of breaker boys outside a Pennsylvania coal mine. As a former teacher, he valued education and wanted to improve the lives of children. He thought photos showing what conditions they worked in would do more than anything else to convince people that laws needed to change.

This book does a good job explaining the conditions many new immigrants to the US faced in pursuit of the American dream.

ho
Harla
Interesting read.
Sara Wirth
The photographs are what truly make this book worth reading. By themselves they tell a powerful tale and make a stronger impact than text could. The text is easy to follow and very informative, though the content was pretty hard to read simply because of the subject matter. I wouldn't use this particular text with younger children.
Jennifer Denney
Child labor was not unusual in the early 1900s. Photographer Lewis Hine captured images of children as young as five working as breaker boys in the Pennsylvania coal mines, and in turn, the photos helped lead to child labor laws being passed by the federal government. The photos are captivating and the story is clear.
Karen Arendt
This books focuses on Lewis Hines' photographic work of child labor, specifically coal mining in Pennsylvanian in The early 1900s. In addition to the valuable information on children working in mines, we also learn about Hines' work with the National Child Labor Committee.
Sherry
A picture is worth a thousand words, or so they say. I would've liked more on the living and working conditions of the boys. A good starter book for those in middle school or intermediate school.
Kari
This book was informative and interesting. It's amazing how photographs can really show so much more than words.
Crystal
This is a fascinating account of how the Progressives tried to end child labor. I had not read about this topic before.
Linda Atkinson
Social photography and a photo claimed to be one of the 100 that changed the world. Recommended ages 9-12 yrs.
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Reem
Reem marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Gina Baggay
Gina Baggay marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Judy Ekblad
Judy Ekblad marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Dsadsadsad
Dsadsadsad marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Don Quixote (Wishbone Classics, #1) Frankenstein (Wishbone Classics, #7) The Red Badge of Courage (Wishbone Classics, #10) The Salem Witch Trials Frankenstein (Graphic Revolve)