Start by marking “Hearts of Fire: Eight Women in the Underground Church and Their Stories of Costly Faith” as Want to Read:

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Eight women from eight very different backgrounds. Yet the struggles they each faced rang with eerie similarity. These courageous women from across the globe-Pakistan, India, Romania, Former Soviet Union, China, Vietnam, Nepal, Indonesia-shared similar experiences of hardship, subjugation, and persecution, all because of their faith in Christ. Yet all of these women have e ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Hearts of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearts of Fire

Maria M. Elmvang
A difficult book to review, because how on earth do I put into words the feelings this book woke in me? From Russia in 1945 to Indonesia in 2000 Christians have been persecuted for their faith, imprisoned, fired, tortured, abused, even martyred. I read about these people and marvel at their strength and dedication... and then I look at myself, and almost feel embarrassed for being so comfortable and safe in little old Denmark.

I'll try to make this a review rather than a testimony though, even th
Victoria
3.5 stars.
This book highlights 8 women who answered the call of Christ to spread the gospel and each suffered in various ways from torture, persecution, imprisonment, oppression, and families looking down on them. Many of these women suffered all the above. It was great to learn about them and see how God gave them strength even when it was hard for them to endure, all because He is worthy of praise in daily life. I encourage aspiring missionaries and people who maybe just need encouragement in
Dena Rosko
Inspiring, challenging, and saddening ethnographic accounts of how eight women respond to oppression and persecution for their faith. I'm amazed at their desire to forgive, be a good example, and keep the faith amid horrible treatment. I want more people to read these stories to be aware of cristophobia and microaggressions towards Christians; if we want tolerant societies, then we must move away from fear, territorialism, and blame.
Heather
I read a lot of biographies but there is something different about reading about people from our own day, many of whom are still alive. There's something very sobering about reading their stories and knowing they are still in the middle of persecution even today as I'm reading their story. It brings home the reality of persecution in a way that reading about persecution in the past does not.

Two stories especially stood out to me. One was of a Christian woman who showed remarkable courage and fa
Leah Good
Across the world, Christians are persecuted for their faith. This book gives "faces" to the women of the persecuted church. Eight courageous ladies with a costly faith. Adel, and Indonesian mother kidnapped by Muslims, separated from her husband, beaten and forced to marry another man. Purnima, a young believer in Bhutan, forced to leave her family because of her faith. Aida, a Russian woman with the courage to stand before the courts and defend Christianity. Sabina, a Romanian wife separated fr ...more
Christy Luis
I read this book during my devotion time. It inspired me, and wrung me out!
Caution: This is real. Non-fiction. The stories are sometimes quite graphic, but always hopeful.
This book tells the stories of 8 women who lived (and live) lives of costly faith. They lose family, station, respect, physical freedom, and so much more, but they stay strong in their faith anyway.
The thing that got me about these stories was how recent they were. The oldest story was from 1945, and the newest was from 2000.
Julia
The is an eye opening, humbling read. Regardless of your beliefs, it is an important read, describing strength in adversity, unwavering commitment to a higher calling and the undeniable human right to worship as one chooses. These are the faith stories of 8 women - all of them women I would be honored to know. Don't read it for its literary value, read it to learn about living life according to your beliefs and values. I pray that God would give me a tenth of the strength He has given the women. ...more
Mekeisha
After reading through a couple of the stories, all I could think was, "How much he'll can one person endure?" These stories are not. For the faint of heart, but they do show me that even in the worst of circumstances, God's grace is sufficient. Those who suffered the most were also gifted with an awareness of The presence of God. A call to remember those who are persecuted for their faith lies in these pages.
Vanessa Grajales
Talk about a tear-fest! Loved this book
Jennifer Skains
This a book that has opened my eyes to the battles others around the world have to face in the name of their faith. These women share their amazing stories of their faith in the midst of amazing adversity. It is an encouraging book that shows unimaginable courage of women in the midst of the darkest of circumstances. This is a page turner for sure.
Schauna
First off let me say that this book actually literally fell into my hands in the library. Once I started reading the stories of these 8 women, I knew exactly why. This book is heart wrenching and passionate and the stories that are told are real. It is something that gets you thinking and makes you not want the stories to end. I love it!
Laurel Mojica
Wow. Was challenged and amazed by these true stories. Short book, but not light reading, which was why it took so long. God is alive and interacts freely with those who give themselves to Him. The women portrayed are real and imperfect, yet God has and still is using them to do great things. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
Jessica
This was and possibly still is the best book I have ever read. Inspiring, encouraging, overwhelming true stories.

The first time I ever cried reading a book, and many tears were shed. After the first few pages of the book I had to stop because my vision was blurred amidst the tears.
Trine
A strong book with some amazing faith-inspiring stories. Unfortunately the writing could have been better, but God's grace and loving care is still strong and evident. Too often you hear about strong Christians of old, it is refreshing to hear how God works also in our time.
Bassem Anwer
كتاب قلوب ملتهبه : من اروع الكتب لتشجيع الايمان المسيحي ..كام قال الكتاب :
فكل من يعترف بي قدام الناس أعترف أنا أيضا به قدام أبي الذي في السماوات
ولكن من ينكرني قدام الناس أنكره أنا أيضا قدام أبي الذي في السماوات
متي 10 : 23
Alisa
Dec 28, 2011 Alisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alisa by: The Voice of the Martyrs
This is a must read! Eight short stories. True stories of courageous Christian women around the world. Unbelievable the things they went through and still did not deny Christ as their Lord and savior!
Brooke
Will break your heart for the devotion these women exhibit to the Lord Jesus Christ in the face of such difficult trials, and will give you courage to face your own in the same way.
Lisa
changed my quiet times by giving me a broader view of what faith means. heart wrenching stories about people who suffer for their faith.
Jana
Difficult and sad, but poignant and touching.
Debbie
8 women in the underground church
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Beshoy Nagi
Beshoy Nagi marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Debbie Canapp
Debbie Canapp marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Riana Odendaal
Riana Odendaal marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jeff McCormack
Jeff McCormack marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Sheila Holley
Sheila Holley is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2014
  • Extreme Devotion
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • Hudson Taylor
  • Carry a Big Stick: The Uncommon Heroism of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • The Journals of Jim Elliot
  • Priceless: A Novel on the Edge of the World
  • No Greater Love
  • Sacred Singleness
  • The Rosary
  • Trial and Triumph
  • One by One (Danielle Ross Mystery, #1)
Restricted Nations: North Korea Iran: Desperate for God Restricted Nations: China Restricted Nations: Sudan Restricted Nations: India