Start by marking “Tool Belt Defender” as Want to Read:
Tool Belt Defender

Tool Belt Defender (Lawmen of Black Rock #5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  28 reviews
It's Party Time...

That’s the “invitation” shoved under her door. It’s got Brittany Grayson fearing for her life…and her sanity. She’s sure the monster who once held her captive for months is dead, so why his chilling words in the note? His menacing face in the window? And why won’t anyone —even her lawmen brothers—believe that somehow he’s after her again?

Brittany just wan
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tool Belt Defender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tool Belt Defender

Camelia Skiba
This book was a copy provided by the NetGalley for an honest review. After being drawn in by the catchy title, sexy cover, and reading the blurb I desperately wanted to like it. It’s a romance, it’s a light, easy read. What’s not to like?

The story is ”No Strings Attached’” meets “Friends with Benefits.” Beautiful troubled girl Brittany Grayson meets sexy, hunky guy with baggage, Alex Crawford. They both have many reasons why they shouldn’t be together.

Brittany is a kidnapping and abuse victim, h
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This was a good one day read.

Brittany is a survivor of a 4 month long kidnapping by a serial killer. When she finally decides to strike out on her own after her rescue, she decides to have a deck built on the back of the house. Her carpenter is Alex. A single dad freshly relocated to her neighborhood bringing his daughter to live close to her grandma.

Strange things start to happen to Brittany that are similar to what her dead kidnapper used to do & her family is making her second guess her
Jae
The only thing that was interesting in this book was the kid. Everything else was bland and downright boring.

Brittany was the Grayson sister who went missing in book #1 and her kidnapping was the fundamental matter of the whole series. And being that this was Brittany's book and the finale of the series I would have expected it to be a bit of a cluster-bang-drama.

But sadly the suspense was just so-so, the chemistry between H/h was tolerable and the bad guy was not a bad-ass at all. All in all, v
Susan
Really good book. I enjoyed the series and seeing the brothers and how their lives were going. Brittany has finally recovered enough to move back to her house and try to get her life back to normal. When she hires Alex to build a deck for her house, she can't believe the immediate attraction she feels. But she knows she isn't ready for a relationship, and neither is Alex. She doesn't feel that she is able to even think about being a wife and mother to his daughter, thanks to the trauma of her ca ...more
Harlequin Books

Miniseries: Lawmen of Black Rock
Babs
May 18, 2012 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance
Shelves: suspense, romance
This book is the last in the Grayson series. I have not read the other books. In this last one Brittany is trying to get her life back after being abducted for 4 months. She was one of the lucky ones who survived. One of the first things she wants done is a new deck. Alex comes in as the deck builder with 2 helpers. As soon as they meet there is a chemistry brewing but they each have their own reasons for not wanting a relationship. Alex is a widow and Emily is his daughter. She takes up with Br ...more
Jenna Anderson
This was the first book I've read in this series. I feel it can be read as a stand-alone title. My thoughts on Tool Belt Defender are mixed so it falls in the middle of my rating scale - a three.

The positive aspects:

Ms. Cassidy did a fine job painting the gossipy quirks of a small town. This was believable. I also felt the action scenes were well done and vivid. Alex was sexy and everything a woman could want. Finally, the little girl, Emily, was super cute and a sweet addition to the story. I
Kerry  sullivan
This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm click here to see the review.

This is what the book is about.
It's Party Time...

Brittany just wants a norma
Becca
**3.5 Stars**

The Tool Belt defender is a story about Brittany and Alex. Brittany has just started coming out of her shell after surviving a horrible ordeal. She was kidnapped and trapped for months with a serial killer who would mentally torture her everyday. She is taking the first step into reclaiming her life and that step would be the construct of a patio that she dreamed about while in captivity. In comes Alex, he is the hunky good looking guy who just moved to town and he is the one going
Vicky
This is the fifth in a series - something I didn't know when I started reading it, but becomes kind of obvious as you read on. This would normally bother me, but the author wove the back story in so well that it wasn't a problem. You can definitely read and enjoy this book without having read the others in the series, though I'm going to pick them up just to read them.

In this one, the main character, Brittany, is recovering from having been kidnapped and held prisoner by a serial killer for four
Viohlet
Pam
Mar 01, 2012 Pam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: reviews
After surviving an attack from the serial killer The Professional life has not gone back to normal for Brittany Garyson. She feels like she can't leave her house, lead a normal life, or go out in public. But she has decided to not let what happened to her take completely over her life. She decides to move forward on building the deck she always wanted in her back yard.

Alex Crawford is new to town, trying to be closer to his dead wife's mother, because that is the only connection his daughter Em
Rhonda
Review: Tool Belt Defender by Carla Cassidy
4 STARS
It kept me surprised till the end. Read it straight through. Would be glad to read more books from Carla.
Brittany Grayson was going to have a deck built on her house. She promised herself while she was held captive that if she survived. She called a local carpenter but he recommended Alex Crawford.
Alex had two young men working for him on different jobs. Alex was a lawyer but
after the death of his wife moved closer to his mother-in-law and becam
Cathy Beckett
I liked this final installment to Ms. Cassidy's Lawmen of Black Rock series. This series tells the stories of five siblings who are law enforcement in a small town. Each story was compelling but this final book was Brittany's story.

Brittany had been kidnapped by a serial killer in the first book. She played a pivotal roll throughout the series because her brothers were searching for her. Brittany's story starts out with her being at home after having been in a cage in the serial killer's hideout
Britainy
This was a fun read. Predictable and typical, but entertaining. It was like a salad for dinner, it fills you up but is missing the meat and potatoes.

First and foremost, it was strange to read a romance novel where the heroine has my name! Good thing Alex wasn't a screamer or it would have been really weird.

Brittany is getting back on her feet after a terrifying kidnapping and escape. She meets Alex, the single father, lawyer turned carpenter and his daughter. She is reluctant to engage in a sexu
Scooper Speaks
Favorite Lines: “”Larry Norwood is dead, but somebody was outside my window, somebody wearing a ski mask just like Larry used to do when he came into the shed.”

She got up from the sofa and walked over to her brother. “Somebody is after me, Tom. I feel it. I know it in the very depth of my being. It’s not over yet for me and I’m afraid.”

Tom hesitated a moment and then released a deep sigh. “Maybe you should talk to somebody about post-traumatic stress.”

“I’m not crazy. I saw what I saw,” she excla
Christi Snow
My Review:
I don't know what I expected from this book, but it was a definitely a surprise to me. I have never read any of the books from the Harlequin Suspense line and I was surprised at how really very good, gritty, and suspenseful this one was. I also didn't realize that this was #5 in the series, although after I started reading, it occurred to me that there were probably stories for all of Brittany's brothers since they are all newlyweds in this book. Regardless, this is easily a stand-alon
Judith
Fifth in this series, this novel highlights the sister in the Grayson family, a deputy sheriff who has been kidnapped, imprisoned and terrorized for four months and is now trying to put her life and her mind back together. It is a story of the long-term effects that terror victims must face, the hurts and fears that never seem far afield, and the evil that many continue to rain on the victims, especially those who become copy-cat criminals. It is also the story of a young lawyer who has moved to ...more
Hsiau Wei
It is a story of Brittany after she was being rescue from a psychotic killer. It was not a normal romance kind of story and this book has make me gripping with suspense especially when Brittany's stalker make his appearance at the midsection of the book. I feel sorry for Brittany for the mental torture she have to endured in the hand of her kidnapper It was just too much for one to take. Brttany's character to me is a very storng character in this book. In fact, her strong character has overshad ...more
Flavia
Tool Belt Defender racconta la storia di Brittany e Alex. Brittany sta lentamente tentando di ricostruire la sua vita dopo essere stata tenuta prigioniera per mesi da un serial killer chiamato The Professional. L'unica cosa che l'ha tenuta in vita in quel periodo era il pensiero dei suoi fratelli e dell'affetto che prova per loro. Decide quindi di costruire un portico sul retro della sua casa dove poter ospitare tutta la famiglia ed essere finalmente felice. Qui entra in scena Alex. Alex è un gi ...more
Erin
2.5 Out Of 5 Stars

For months, Brittany was held hostage by a serial killer, anticipating an excruciatingly painful "party" to begin... A party that was promised to find not only her, but four other captive women killed mercilessly in front of one another. Thankfully, all women were rescued before the party could begin.

Now, nearly eight months later, Brittany is slowly reclaiming her life, beginning with the construction of the deck she'd envisioned during her four months of captivity. This deci
emmegail
Just based on the cover, I didn’t think this was going to be a modern romantic suspense story. While this is part of a series, you don’t have to have read any of them before – I didn’t – but it does mention that the main heroine, Brittany, had been kidnapped and held captive and that her brothers had rescued her. So I’m assuming the other books in the series go into her being kidnapped and her brother’s relationships.

So now Brittany has just moved back into her own house after staying with her o
Mombo
Too much violence against women and children for me to really enjoy this story.

Reading about a survivor of a serial killer must be almost as scary as writing about one. I knew Brittany's story would be a revealing one and I was sympathetic but she didn't have any strength until the very end so it was a long read for me.

Alex seemed to be too smitten with her appearance and rather than behaving like an educated man, he clearly had no idea of the dangers of being involved with Brittany so soon afte
Glenajo
In Tool Belt Defender, Brittany Grayson finally returns to her home after surviving abduction by a crazed murderer. She is understandably nervous, but desires to return to a life as normal as possible. Suddenly, she begins to receive messages and signs of being watched, but since her abductor is dead, she might just be crazy. The contractor she has hired to build her deck draws her interest along with his daughter, but the stalker is shaking her vow to go on with her life.

Cassidy’s Tool Belt Def
Emily
"Easily a sit down, put your feet up and immerse yourself until the very end type of a story."

Full review on CataRomance
Kerry
Not quite the dark romantic suspense that I usually read. But...
Please read my entire review here

GONZA
They both are survivors and when the peril came back again she will find the force to start again. A nice reading.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HARLEQUIN FOR THE PREVIEW.
Gina Hott
Fun - not edge of your seat suspense but a bit freaky.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Heartbreak Sheriff
  • What Happens in Charleston... (Dynasties: The Kincaids #2)
  • Sex, Lies and the Southern Belle (Dynasties: The Kincaids #1)
  • More Than Perfect
  • Born Ready
  • Tempted by His Target
  • The Last Cahill Cowboy (Cahill Cowboys, #4)
  • The Lost Girls of Johnson's Bayou
  • Stalker in the Shadows (Sonoma #3)
  • Sex, Lies and Midnight (Undercover Operatives, #2)
  • A Callahan Wedding (Callahan Cowboys, #6)
  • Protective Instincts (The Precinct: Brotherhood of the Badge #1) (The Precinct #7)
  • The Paternity Proposition (Dalton Twins #1)
  • The Phoenix
  • Choose Me
  • To Kiss a King (Kings of California, #11)
  • A Touch of Persuasion (Men Of Wolff Mountain #2)
  • His Secret Past

Lawmen of Black Rock (5 books)
  • His Case, Her Baby
  • The Lawman's Nanny Op
  • Cowboy Deputy
  • Special Agent's Surrender
Cowboy with a Cause (Cowboy Cafe #3) Just Joe (Harlequin More Than Words) Paint It Red Are You Afraid? Broken Pieces