Start by marking “Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)” as Want to Read:
Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)

Chaotic (Otherworld Stories #5.2)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,888 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Kelley Armstrong returns to the Otherworld with "Chaotic," where a half-demon tabloid journalist's boring date is saved...by a supernatural explosion? She's off to save the day—if only her less-than-stellar date wouldn't tag along! Luckily, the intriguing, infuriating, and just plain sexy werewolf/jewel thief Karl Marsten also appears.
Published January 31st 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Chaotic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaotic

Jo
Review first posted at Urban Fangtasy

This review for Chaotic will be spoiler free, but it may contain spoilers for both previous novels and novellas in the Women of the Otherworld Series.

I adore the Women of the Otherworld series. With the upcoming release of Thirteen and this weeks release of The Hunter and The Hunted, I thought this would be a great time to go back and read all the novellas that I’ve missed.

Chaotic (first published in the Dates from Hell Anthology) is a short story featuring h
Gina
This novella set in Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series fills in a lot of gaps in the full length book featuring Hope, half chaos demon, and Karl Marsden, werewolf thief. When I first read the book, I felt like I was missing something - probably because I was. How they met had been covered in a novella published prior in some anthology and was only alluded to in their full length story. Even without re-reading the book, I enjoy it so much more just having now read this story. I don't thin ...more
Carrie
I put off reading this short story because I had already read all the books in the Otherworld series. They mention how Hope and Karl meet several times and I kept thinking "Why should I even read the short story about how they met? What could I possibly learn that I don't already know?" Well, the type of reader I am won't let me skip over any books in the series, so that meant I had to eventually swing back around and read this short story to be considered "complete" with this series. I'm so gla ...more
chucklesthescot
I used to own a copy of 'Dates from Hell', the anthology that this novella was published in but when I saw that the story was about Hope and Karl first meeting, I chose not to read it and the book was traded to a friend. Yeah, I know, I should've given it a chance! At the time my favourite women were Elena and Jaime so Hope wasn't as interesting to me. I wasn't a fan of Karl in Bitten but he has greatly grown on me as the series has progressed and that is why I hunted down a copy of this novella ...more
Nikki
In "Dates From Hell" anthology, best of the bunch!
Anniken Haga
I've loved the Otherworld-series from the first time i read ''Bitten'', but I've never gotten around to reading this one!
So when I found it on my phone, I just had to do have it!

This short-story has everything that I love about Kelley Armstrong, a kick-ass female lead, bad guys and a hot guy.
Before I read this, I already knew how it was going to end - I spoiled my self by reading ''Personal Demon'' a while back, but I think that only made this story more fun!

I smiled and laughed and got every
Sandy
CHAOTIC by Kelley Armstrong

CHAOTIC is a novella in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series. The short story was first published in the anthology Dates From Hell, but was released in ebook format January 2012. Chaotic features half-demon Hope Adams and werewolf Karl Marsden. The readers were first introduced to Karl in Kelley’s first novel of the Otherworld series-Bitten.

Hope Adams is a half-demon, who thrives on chaos. As a journalist working for a tabloid newspaper, chaos is the perfe
Oracleofdoom
Now, this is much more in line with the quality I had come to expect from Kelley Armstrong. Right from the beginning. She does an excellent job of getting across to the reader what kind of character Hope is. I particularly loved the yellow dress, Hope's intention to be a beacon, a ray of sunshine surrounded by swathes of black, but instead she stood out more like a banana. And the stain that she worsened when trying to clean it up. These things are relatable, and really humanize Hope.

And she doe
Mary
Half-demon Hope interrupts werewolf Karl Marsden right in the middle of a robbery and, from there, things get...hairy (sorry, I couldn't help it). Hope's working as a bounty hunter of sorts, still a rookie and eager to please her boss. So when they say to get Karl Marsden, that's what she intends to do.

Except her boss isn't who he claims and Karl, well, he's not quite as bad as he was in BITTEN (notice the *quite* because he's still a bad wolf at heart and he's going to do what he needs to do n
Rosie Sanchez
Chaos can be......nice?

Another great Kelly Armstrong novel. Good story line with just the right amount of humor. The characters were interesting and fun. Have to see if there is a book 2 on this one. I sure hope so. If you've never read her books, I recommend that you do. Start with the "A Werewolf Named Kitty" series. You'll be waiting with baited breath for her next book.
Suzan
Oct 29, 2012 Suzan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I adore Karl and loved this story about how he and Hope met. I first read it in the Anthology 'Dates from Hell' but bought it when it was released as an e-book as well. It was interesting getting the story behind Hope and Karl's obligation to Benecio Cortez that they are trying to repay in Personal Demon, also behind when we heard from Elena in No Human's Involved about how she'd been approached by Karl to help Hope journalistically and with the council and was being a better pack member so she ...more
Sandi Potterton
A peek at a first meeting...

A peek at a first meeting...

I loved this...a sneak peek at the first meeting between Hope and Karl. The story has great sexual tension, great action and is fun to boot. Recommended for all Otherworld fans!
Darla
love it Kelley is an awesome writer unfortunately I didn't know about her until the tv series Bitten came out then read all of her books and novella within 2 weeks time frame her books are captures the audience whereas you can visualize each story great job kelley
Karen
Fun little tale of how Hope came to be in the Otherworld and how she met Karl Marsden. I am going back and reading all the stories inbetween the novels to get back on track and glad I did. For such a short story, it had a lot of suspense. Good read.
Mel
I read this story as part of the anthology Dates From Hell. In my opinion, this story was the best of the bunch by far.

Hope is a half human half chaos demon tabloid reporter who works for the Interracial Council. At a charity ball she bumps into werewolf Karl Marsten and things become chaotic.
This was a great story. It was well written, exciting, engaging and fun (Hope is really funny). And it made me fall in love with Karl Marsten. Karl Marsten: the perpetually sly, egocentric, tricky werewolf
Mimi
A short story with an interesting twist. I found Hope to be a different sort of heroine than what I expected, and I enjoyed her first-person account as she tells us about herself and her current assignment.
Peggy Cobb
Another good read from Kelley Armstrong.

A good and exciting adventure. Quite sexy too..a Werewolf and half daemon. Avery adventures pair. I hope they stay a pair ?
Juliet
I didn't think I would like this one since I am not a huge fan of Hope, but I do like Karl. This was a really cute story though. Glad I read it.
Lorre
Chaotic was a fab Otherworld novella!

Hope Adams is a half-demon and journalist on a date at the museum.
What started as a very boring blind date, turns into a huge mess when her powers alert her that something bad is happening in the museum.

That something bad is connected to Karl Marsten (werewolf mutt, see Territorial and Bitten)...
Karen
We finally find our how Karl and Hope meet!!!
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Chaotic is book 5.2 in the Women of the Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong. This short story is about Hope and Karl. (view spoiler)
Serena
Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5) by Kim Harrison

My Rating System:

T. Edmund
I suspect if you are not a rabid Kelly Armstrong fan who has already hunted the print form of this novella from the collection Dates from Hell then there isn't much in this piece for you.

The story is fine - a typical Armstrong action/sex/action conclusion/sex conclusion plot, with a dash of humour.

Overall though nothing stand-out, just a decent supernatural jaunt.
Jenevieve
A novella set in the Otherworld universe, we finally get to see the backstory on how Hope and Karl first met. It has a very young and naive Hope thinking she is working for the council when in fact she is working for another organization entirely and Karl being Karl, thief and playboy and all around bad-ass. Fun story and is making me impatient for the next book.
Kathy
Sharon
Chaotic is a very good story. I didn't quite know what to expect from it and I'm still a bit confused about the Women of the Otherworld series. I looked at the descriptions of the full-length books and see that there are several heroines but some of them have multiple books. I'm not sure whether I should expect these to be romances or not.
Michelle
Seemed short - the whole book basically happens in one scene, which is a bit weird. I enjoyed the characters and want to see where it's going, though.
Edit: Just checked to see if the library had the next book in the series for download and realized this one was a novella, which explains the "seems short" feeling. Ahh details...
Lacey
I think I like the Hope is this novella better. She seems a little more daring, a little more outgoing. The Hope in the novels seems to be a distant and reserved. An enjoyable read about how Hope and Karl met. I'm glad I finally got to read it, felt like I was missing part of the story without knowing how their story began.
Teresa
Mar 04, 2012 Teresa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong
This is a novella about the first time Hope Adams and Karl Marsten meet.

I really enjoyed finding out not only how Hope and Karl first met, but a bit more about their characters as well. I love stories like this as they make the world, in this case the 'Women of the Otherworld' series world, feel fuller and more real.
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • The Bitten Word
  • The Gauntlet (Cassandra Palmer #0.5)
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5; Otherworld Stories, #5.2)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • Hunt (Shifters #6.5)
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
  • Armor of Roses and The Silver Voice
  • Soul Ink (Grimm Agency, #1.5)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Otherworld Stories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories)
  • Tales of the Otherworld
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets: An Anthology
  • Imaginarium 2012: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing
  • Vanishing Act
  • Driven (Otherworld Stories, #13.6)
  • Expiration Date
  • Shards and Ashes
  • The Bitten Word
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)

“Behind us, the man laughed. "Looks like we aren't the only ones looking for a little diversion. There's an empty office right over there, guys."
Marsten raised his hand in thanks. The couple moved on. I let the kiss continue for five more seconds, then pulled away.
"They're gone," I said.
Marsten frowned, as if surprised-and disappointed-that I'd noticed. I tugged my hair from his hands.
"Okay, coast clear," I said. "Let's go."
He let out a small laugh. "I see I need to brush up on my kissing."
"No, you have that down pat."
"She says with all the excitement of a teacher grading a math quiz..."
"A-plus. Now let's move. Before someone else comes along.”
30 likes
“The bracelet—an heirloom, I presume.”
“So you didn’t mistake it for a ‘cheap bauble’ after all. And you still didn’t try to nick it. I’m shocked.”
He glowered as he got to his feet.
“What?” I said. “I’ve offended you? I should be ashamed of myself. Those pieces in your pocket just fell in there, didn’t they? Damn museum displays. Stuff just drops off them—”
0 likes