Start by marking “Undone by His Touch” as Want to Read:
Undone by His Touch

Undone by His Touch

Cast into a world of black, Declan Carstairs is a man in torment. Consumed by guilt, he sees no way out of the darkness his life has become. Only one thing drives him—finding the woman who caused his brother's death, and the accident that took his sight.

Published June 5th 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Undone by His Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undone by His Touch

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Happy Sigh! Lots of angst, passion, and true love. And a hero who reminds me of Edward Fairfax Rochester. I'm not sure if that was deliberate or not. Declan is a nice mix of wounded, grumpy and tortured. Even at his worst, I couldn't hate him. I guess I could see pain behind his actions. With his brother's death and his feelings of guilt that he had failed him, it was hard to see clearly. On the other hand, I could see why Chloe couldn't settle for what he had to give her. She had fought too har ...more
RLA
Feb 20, 2012 RLA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hero Declan is still haunted by reminders of his brother's suicide and his own climbing fall, which left him injured and blind. He meets his housekeeper Chloe, the heroine, for the first time when she returns after a sabbatical. Chloe is initially nervous about returning after a difficult experience with Declan's brother, but with him now gone she feels more comfortable. Declan feels surprisingly content around Chloe, she doesn't treat him differently due to his blindness, and they become fr ...more
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is my first book by Australian author Annie West and it definitely won’t be my last! She really impressed me with this intense, emotional, sensual and totally engrossing story.

How I imagine Declan Carstairs…

Declan more than fulfils my weakness for tormented, irascible heroes. He hides all his vulnerabilities – the frustrations, the insecurities, the guilt and the anger – behind a show of arrogance, sarcasm and rudeness.

Even though, to some extent, I can understand his reasoning, I really h
Jen
This is a good example of the level of "not-so-douchey-but-still-pretty-alpha"-ness in a hero that I find irresistible.

Scarred and blinded Declan falls for his housekeeper Chloe, who it turns out has a secret of her own in relation to Declan's brother, Adrian, who chose to sacrifice himself in a climbing accident. Declan survived the ordeal but has demons to face, in particular, the woman supposedly responsible for driving Adrian to suicide.

Not so sure about the plausibility of Declan's incredul
Dalia
Mar 15, 2012 Dalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I m a big fan of Annie West. She has a very particular style, a sizzling atmosphere. This book is so brim-filled with such gut-wrenching angst & heart-stopping tension, it keeps the  reader on his toes & on edge from the word go.
Declan is a dark hero fighting his demons, tittering on the brink of depression, and Chloe is the gentle yet feisty heroine who pulls him back to life. My  heart went to Declan in his struggle to cope with the darkness of his life, with his grief, with his guilt
KC

I wasn't blown away, but thought this was decent. The passion and angst levels were too low for me to become emotionally invested in the story or characters. Declan and Chloe's relationship from employer and employee to lovers progressed much faster than I liked or found believable.

I did like how Chloe stuck to her convictions by not letting Declan totally run over her. She tolerated his jerky behavior for a little while, but stopped it when she realized his love didn't encompass enough
Nas Dean
Apr 17, 2012 Nas Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

UNDONE BY HIS TOUCH by author Annie West is a Mills & Boon Modern and Harlequin Presents release for April 2012.

Declan Carstairs lost his eyesight in a freak accident. He also lost his younger brother in that accident. So he blames himself for failing his brother when he needed him the most. Tortured and tormented, he goes away from Sydney to his family mansion in the Blue Mountains to recuperate.

Chloe Daniels comes back to her housekeeper job at the mansion to find her gorgeous boss in the
Leona
Apr 16, 2012 Leona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hqn-presents
I believe I am in the minority on this one, but I actually did not like this book. Which is a shame since I have been anxiously waiting for it to come out electronically. The heroine was just way too much of a martyr for my taste. She tried to package it as sympathizing with the hero's grief, claiming that grief can destroy a person and alter their ability to be rational. But, I just wasn't buying it. She had shades of TSTL and doormat stamped all over her, which is so counter to the Annie West ...more
Dalimar
Fiona Marsden
Mar 17, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like good dialogue, and real people
Recommended to Fiona by: Author Preference
This book didn't even make it unread out of the shopping centre. Filling in time while in Brisbane, I delved into my recent purchases and struck lucky with this one. Even luckier the repair I was waiting on took twice as long as expected.

This book is a classic style dark hero being brought back from the brink by a caring and feisty heroine.

Chloe is a widow who has made an ordered life for herself after a difficult childhood and a brief but happy marriage that ended tragically. As housekeeper to
3meg
Aug 10, 2012 3meg rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one, much to my surprise. This is one of the first HP's I have read where I actually like the h, Chloe more than that H, Declan. While there was lots of angst (a necessary part of HP reading for me) there was not an over abundance of ridiculous misunderstandings and just plain hatefulness from Declan. I felt the relationship/feelings built between them and didn’t seem like it was all just an uncontrollable physical response that they had to act on despite what they ‘felt’ f ...more
Carmen
Jun 01, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it
A blind tormented Rochester-esque hero. How can one resist? I couldn't but the last 30 pages were pretty angsty

Synopsis

Cast into a world of black, Declan Carstairs is a man in torment. Consumed by guilt, he sees no way out of the darkness his world has become. Only one thing drives him - finding the woman who caused his brother's death, and the accident that took his sight.

Housekeeper Chloe Daniels refuses to pity her devastatingly gorgeous boss, but treating him as the strong, capable man he is
Cecilia
May 27, 2012 Cecilia rated it liked it
A little too much reliance on misunderstanding/misinformation for the conflict for my liking. The heroine occasionally sort of stood up for herself, but also had a tendency toward martyrdom - putting up with too much crap so that she could shoulder the burden for someone else's care. The resolution also seemed to come about abruptly - as the narrative doesn't show the change over time, the hero's emotional shifts seem to happen without warning, without reason. To put in balance how I felt on fin ...more
Maritza
May 31, 2015 Maritza rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Review - Classic Harlequin romance. Rich man meets poor woman without rhyme or reason (or in this case without sight), falls in lust, beds woman, has falling out over misunderstanding. Woman gets pregnant. Difference gets resolved. They marry. Epilogue - have child and live happily ever after. The End. All that being said I liked Declan (blinded in an accident but vision restored in the end) and the fact that he was willing to own to his mistakes and apologize without forcing Chloe into marriage ...more
Jenny Schwartz
Aug 31, 2012 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Hot, sexy ... which is what I expected from a book in the Harlequin Presents line. I also expected emotion, but what I got was a story that spun the Beauty and the Beast trope in a new way.

A lot of times, romance novels give the hero a key role in creating/affirming the heroine's sense of self-worth. In "Undone by His Touch" Chloe is responsible for her own self-worth. It's hard-earned, and she's not surrendering it. I really liked that emotional maturity.

A lovely read with a hero who isn't perf
Roanne
Mar 25, 2012 Roanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
I chose it to simply pass the day and ended up finishing it in a sitting. Annie West writes like you're a fly on the wall and I was simply 'undone' by how sensual Declan was and how he treated Chloe, like she was 'spurned glass' when it fact she came across as a very feisty character. It was so unpredictable, i will definitely be reading more of her work.
Joanne
May 02, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love the way Annie West packs a ton of emotion into her books. Her heroes just walk off the page and I really enjoyed reading Chloe and Declan's story.

This a real Beauty and the Beast story. The change in Declan from the beginning of the book to the end was astounding and I was def cheering Chloe on when she got her HEA.

Kate
Jun 30, 2012 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall rating -- 3.5 stars

I really liked the hero, warts and all, but the story just didn't feel complete to me. For as much as the characters and story were developed early on, the ending seemed rushed and tacked on.
Gisela
Jun 05, 2012 Gisela rated it really liked it
Para la reseña de este libro, visitá: Undone by his touch
Eli Yanti
Jun 22, 2012 Eli Yanti rated it really liked it
Declain yang mengalami kebutaan dan luka dipipinya sejak kecelakan yang menewaskan adiknya, sehingga membuatnya mengasingkan diri serta merasa bersalah atas ketidakmampuannya dalam menyelamatkan Adiknya / Adrian dan bersumpah menemukan wanita yang membuat adiknya bunuh diri dan menuntut balas sampai Chloe datang dalam hidupnya, pengurus rumah tangga, wanita yang mampu membuatnya bangki t,membuka diri dan merasa dikasihi dan tidak pernah memperlakukannya selain seorang lelaki yang kuat walaupun d ...more
Jess Anastasi
Aug 30, 2012 Jess Anastasi rated it it was amazing
I'm going to start off by saying I don't read Harlequin Mills and Boons category-type romances. I have nothing against them, its just that few I'd tried in the past didn't really capture my imagination and I found the budding romances in them a bit contrived.

But every now and then, you'll come across an author, and it doesn't matter what they've written, they suck you in from the first page and won't let you go until you've read every last page.

I got the copy of this book, signed by Annie (fel
Cherise
Jun 07, 2016 Cherise rated it liked it
Shelves: harlequin, challenged
Lenore Kosinski
Jul 09, 2012 Lenore Kosinski rated it really liked it
Shelves: harlequin
Sometimes I just love a simple Harlequin...not simple as in it isn't interesting, I just know what to expect in general, and get thrown a few surprises here and there. I enjoyed Chloe and Declan. Normally Declan's attitude changes would have turned me off, but I could actually see where he was coming from in this one, as frustrating as that was. I enjoyed that they tried to explain Adrian's sudden change in behavior with Chloe (I had pondered the explanation myself just from hints here and there ...more
Tonya Warner
Jun 24, 2012 Tonya Warner rated it really liked it
Declan Carstairs lives in a world of darkness and despair. Feeling as if he has let down his younger brother when Adrian chose death over living. Declan vowed to find the woman whom he believed help to contribute to Adrian's depression.

Chloe Daniels desparately needed her job as housekeeper for Declan Carstairs, but after the ordeal his brother had put her thru before his death, she was not sure she could remain. Drawn in by the charisma eminating from Declan, Chloe finds herself beginning to l
Clint Griffon
May 20, 2014 Clint Griffon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started really well: the setup of the characters is original and very vivid. You can understand the stresses that they’re both under, and their feelings. At the same time, surprises keep hitting you as the past is gradually unwrapped.

As the plot proceeds, it becomes a bit more familiar: the main dynamic of the second half of the book is all stuff I’ve read elsewhere. It’s well-written though, and the believability of the characters is kept up all the way through. I just wish it had managed
Tanya Mayes
Dec 06, 2012 Tanya Mayes rated it it was amazing
I love this story. This is a great read. Annie West took you through every emotion possible. Declan was injured and blinded in a accident with his brother. He meets Chloe who his his housekeeper. She refused to let him pity himself. She helps him cope. They both start to have feeling for each other but there is things Chloe hasn't told Declamation yet and those things could tear them apart. Ending was good.
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
WOAH. Let me say just WOAH
that was the most emotional harlequin ive ever read from both H/h views. they deserve one another for support, love, sickness and in health. I could see the pain from both sides although I could sympathise with chloe's a lot more (since im a chick). and Declan's gradual realisation was perfectly timed and not bam SMACK IN THE FACE followed by chronic verbal diarrhea grovelling. I was just sad I finished reading......I WANT MORE :'( now nothing can top this
Gege86
Feb 16, 2013 Gege86 rated it it was amazing
I love Annie West, wow, each one of her novels better than the one before.
This one about Chloe and Declan, Declan became blind in a climbing accident in which he also loses his brother after confessing that the women he loves left him for one with more money. So guilt and the need to avenge his brother's death consumed him, he returns to the family home, and here comes chloe, a breath of fresh air in his dark, dark world.
Very good read, I enjoy it a lot…
Dísir
I thought this was a rare find! Even though the story takes place in modern day Sydney, I feel like I'm reading a very poignant, angsty but wonderfully updated version of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre all over again.
Theresa
Mar 24, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Chloe Daniels is currently working for Declan Carstairs as a housekeeper. Their attraction to each other grows but the death of Declans brother Adrian and Chloe's secret about Andrian could put a stop to the romance. Lots of drama and romance make this a good read.
  • The Lone Wolfe (Bad Blood, #8)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • A Night of Living Dangerously
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten
  • Captive but Forbidden
  • The Man Every Woman Wants
  • The Illegitimate Tycoon (Bad Blood, #6)
  • The Petrov Proposal  (Forrester, #2)
  • Monarch of the Sands
  • The Sultan's Choice
  • Angel of Darkness
  • The Night that Changed Everything
  • The Dark Side of Desire
  • His Majesty's Mistake (A Royal Scandal, #2)
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • The Power and the Glory (The Marshalls, #2)
  • The Thorn in His Side
  • Deserving of His Diamonds?

USA Today Bestselling author Annie West loves writing passionate, intense love stories. She has devoted her life to an in depth study of tall, dark, charismatic heroes who cause the best kind of trouble in the lives of their heroines. Creating heroines who are a perfect mat
More about Annie West...