The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)

The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Lord Steadwell's three motherless daughters were heartbroken when their last governess ran off to elope. In her dowdy cap and spectacles, Grace Ellerby seems an ideal replacement—a nurturing, intelligent woman uninterested in marriage. No wonder Rupert doesn't recognize Grace as the golden-haired vision at a masked ball, who slips away before midnight….Frightened by the un...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Love Inspired (first published June 1st 2012)

Jenna Anderson
Cinderella with a touch of Jane Eyre - Loved It!

First of all I need to admit that this was my first Harlequin Love Inspired Historical title. I was expecting something different, something heavier, preachier… What a pleasant surprise.

I’d like to thank NetGalley and Harlequin for the review copy of this title.

My spoiler free plot summery -

Grace Ellerby is a beautiful woman. What most plain girls would give anything for has been Grace’s curse. Older girls at school teased her, teachers distruste...more
Julie
Jun 02, 2012 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: inspirational, regency historical romance
Historical romance can connect to the universal problems of the modern world. Readers will relate to the latest heroine in Deborah Hale’s Glass Slipper Brides books. In her series, Hale has shown a gift for weaving a tale of great emotional depth and romance that takes the reader back in time and yet teaches a faith lesson applicable to the present. “The Baron’s Governess Bride” is no different.

A true beauty who is alone in the world, Grace Ellerby has had enough of her looks making her a targe...more
Daisy
You guys, I was expecting a steamy read filled with lots of heartbreaking romance, and while it wasn’t all that I expected, I did get the tear-inducing tension that I wanted, so I’m VERY happy!

I’m not gonna lie, I enjoy the romance along with the passion, but what makes one stand out from the other for me are the characters and their individual voices and the chemistry they have together. And while The Baron’s Governess Bride was completely void of any physical intimacies, it was SO good!

Seriou...more
Anna Marie
First, this is another 'Luvv Inspired', but rest assured there's nothing more to that than a verse about beauty at the beginning and a couple of vague 'God' references.

The book is a re-telling of the Cinderella story: girl's father doted on her, died, stepmother sent her to a foundling home, she's mistreated until she lands as a governess at Baron's country home, where she sneaks away one night to a masquerade ball where she whisks away at midnight from the Baron, leaving him to wonder who the b...more
Lexxie
*I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review of this book*

This and other reviews can be found on my blog: (un)Conventional Bookviews.

This was a very sweet and innocent historical romance. A quick read, a little predictable, but still very enjoyable.
Becca
I started this book and then put it down to read other books. I finished this book last night and while I've enjoyed Deborah Hale's fantasy books, this one left much to be desired. While I like books that are more chaste and focus on the romance, I still like to see at least some spark of attraction. In this book, I felt like there was no chemistry between the hero and the heroine at all.

The book's focus on beauty and appearance (it is an inspirational romance I found from other reviews) felt fo...more
Judy
The Baron’s Governess Bride by Deborah Hale
Glass Slipper Brides Book 3
Grace Ellerby's life has not been easy. After her father's death her "evil stepmother" sent her to a school for Vicar's orphans. Grace had to suffer from something unusual...her beauty. Fellow students were jealous of her and teachers demeaned her. Her saving grace had been her close friends. They still wrote regularly and two of them even found true love and happiness. Grace just wanted to keep a governess job where male atte...more
Kelly_Instalove
Part of her wished Lord Steadwell could see her like that, making the most of her God-given appearance rather than hiding her light under pinched spectacles and drab clothes.

THE HAPPY COUPLE....

She's a gorgeous governess who dons a mobcap and spectacles to find a new job because she's tired of being accosted by slimy men. He's an aristocratic widower with two young daughters.

THE ROMANCE....

An attempt at a Cinderella story, but the "in disguise at the ball" scene is an uncomfortable plot contriva...more
Rhonda
Wednesday, May 30, 2012Review:The Barons Governess Bride by Deborah Hale
5 STARS I listened to this book on my kindle and it was really enjoyable. I hate to admit this today I realize right away it was a new twist on cinderella but it was along ways into the book before I realized the Name. Sometimes I need a wack on the head. I had to put the book down a few times when unexpected company came to visit. Then my daughter wrote her first email to me from the MTC where she is training for her missi...more
Farrah
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Not as good as I hoped it would be...
The Baron's Governess Bride seems to try to show that beauty isn't all it's cracked up to be, but it ended up overestimating how important beauty is . It made the entire book seem shallow and superficial. I know what the author meant to do, but I don't think she achieved it.

First off, Grace seemed a little over paranoid. I know that her looks have gotten her unwanted attention and...more
Kristin
I recently read "The Baron's Governess Bride" written by Deborah Hale. This book is a Love Inspired Historical Romance.

This book is a mix of several books/movies that I have read/heard in my past. My first thoughts~~boy this book is a little bit of Nanny McPhee, Mary Poppins and Jane Austin novels. Cinderella did not immediately come to mind, but after I finished reading this book I could see the connections also between Cinderella and The Governess Bride.

The main character Grace Ellerby is ind...more
Jaime
~Review is of the ARC provided by Netgalley and Harlequin Love Inspired~

The Baron's Governess Bride is, despite its smarmy title, quite a fine story. In it, Grace is a beautiful governess in search of work after all her previous positions have ended with her being chased around the bedstead. She blames her appearance for this sorry fate, so she disguises herself as a dowd before interviewing for a place in Lord Steadwell's household.

Lord Steadwell is a widowed father of three little girls. When...more
IrenesChristianReviews
I really enjoyed this book and was sad to see it end. The author does an excellent job of making the characters believable. The ending fits the story and will leave you satisfied.

This book takes place in England in the early 1800’s. The main characters are Grace and Lord Steadwell. How they meet is believable. I enjoyed their conversations and liked their interactions. I thought the story itself made for a great read. One of the best parts was the masquerade ball. I also enjoyed the children tha...more
Janga
For Grace Ellerby, beauty is a burden. Her father, a vicar, died when she was eight, and her stepmother, who had no fondness for the orphaned child, sent her to school. Only the presence of two close friends saved Grace from a loveless existence. Her beauty inspired jealousy and meanness in her fellow students and her teachers.

In the manner of many a vicar’s daughter before her, Grace became a governess, and again her beauty brought unhappiness. She was forced to change positions repeatedly to e...more
Vanya D.
Jun 26, 2012 Vanya D. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of historical romance
Oh my! This novel had all the romance, struggle and drama one could expect from a Jane Austen book! It was the story of Cinderella, yet quite different as well, and I could safely say that I loved every single bit of it.

I must be honest though and say that I approached "The Baron's Governess Bride" with caution. I wasn't sure whether I'd find in it what I'd expected, and indeed I didn't. I'd expected something average, but it turned out to be superior.

I'm a sucker for quality romance of the hist...more
Ausjenny
Thank to Haliquin and Netgalley for my review copy.

This is a good story. We see Grace wanting a job but at the same time hiding her beauty under clothes, glasses and a cap. She has had issues in previous jobs with unwanted advances. She has an interview for a new job as governess with Lord Steadwell. Rupert is looking for a plain governess for his girls as he wants her to stay till the girls grow up. This is a different take on Cinderella here we have a beautiful lady inside and out who is hidin...more
Barb Klein
“The Baron’s Governess Bride” by Deborah Hale was a delightful tale of a beautiful young woman and a dashing Baron. Miss Grace Ellery was the daughter of a minister who had died when she was very young. She was sent to a school for children of the clergy for most of her childhood. She was so beautiful that when she was hired as a governess for various families, invariably a man in the family, or a family friend, or son of the family would attempt to make her their mistress. She responded by cove...more
Kathy
Gets on my romance theme "heroines-looks-weight" shelf because the heroine is obsessed with being too pretty. A reasonable worry, since a governess who attracts men does not last long in a household. Still, her discussions of how difficult it is to be pretty wore on me after a while, even if they were legit. She was also a bit of a sop, winning over the oldest child with her sob story, rather than by being awesome, and then teaming up with the kids to sabotage their father wanting to propose to...more
Claudine
What a surprising read of an intentional Ugly Ducking / Cinderella story. Frightened by the unwanted attentions of previous employers, Grace Ellerby resolved to hide her beauty. Lord Rupert Steadwell still hurting over the long ago passing of his beloved wife is afraid his three daughters will be hurt by the departure of another governess as the last one left his employ to elope, he believes hiring unattractive Miss Ellerby will prevent the girls from any future emotional hurt.

This is the first...more
Becky
3 1/2 stars. This was a sweet Cinderella story with a touch of The Sound of Music (minus the singing)--I read it in a single sitting. Though the baron is at times a little too good to be true, and Grace might take the whole "I have to be ugly" bit a tad too far, overall it was a satisfying read and offered a nice break from reality. I really liked the way faith was neatly woven into the story--not at all preachy and in your face as it is in some Christian books. Grace's friends' stories are allu...more
Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance
Grace Ellerby has been forced from her previous employers since her beauty has drawn her unwanted attention. So for her next interview Grace decides to hide her beauty.

Lord Steadwell is looking for a new governess for his three daughters after the last one ran off to get married. When he meets Grace in her dowdy cap and spectacles she seems to be perfect. A smart, caring women uninterested in marriage.

After a chance meeting at a masked ball will the two discover their own happily ever after??

I...more
Emyrose8
4.5- Sigh. Another lovely Cinderella retelling. :)
Angela
I might even give this 4.5 stars. I really enjoyed these characters and the story moved along at a good pace. The Baron was maybe a little too perfect for his station (excellent, caring father & grieving widower)since it's hard to believe a Baron is anything but arrogant. The premise was interesting too - beautiful governess has to disguise herself as ugly to avoid unwanted attention. the 3 daughters were great too - each with different personalities. A recommended romantic read. (Very clean...more
LAWonder10
What a delightfully fairy-tale story!
The only thing I would change about it is the title. It leaves no room for imagination nor question.
This was very well-written and totally 'CLEAN'!
This could be enjoyed with the whole family.
Once I started reading (even though I knew what the outcome would be)I barely put it down. Deborah has a great style in keeping the attention of the reader.
I won this through a giveaway but would have eagerly purchased it.
Olivia
Wonderful story with wonderful characters. The writing was crisp and the dialog perfect. I didn't even realize the story was an inspirational until I was done. Grace's problem with being too beautiful was skillfully handled and very believable. I can't stand too much woe-is-me or mental hand-wringing and this story did not have that. I am going to read more books by this author.
Kristen
3.5

This was an entertaining regency with a whisper of Cinderella. The reason it wasn't a 4 star for me was because, some of the spots were a tad lengthy. But overall, it kept my interest and I was entertained. (Loved the masquerade.)

Moral Note: Talk of her running from men trying to put her in compromising situations. Mild talk of abusive school setting.
Jessie
This was a really done regency, as well as a well-written Christian novel. I loved that it avoided missionary-esque cliches, and instead the "God talk" was a natural inclusion into an otherwise normal regency.

Really liked it - it's on my re-read shelf. Recommend to fans of regency, christian and/or clean romance novels.
Amyra
All'inizio l'ho trovato noioso e scontato, almeno verso la fine un po' si riscatta.
Si ringrazia Netgalley per la gentile preview.

At the beginning it was so boring, a plain story like a hundred other stories, but the ending is a little better.
Many thanks to NetGalley for this preview.

2.5 stelle/stars

Donna Alward
A lovely, sweet story with a wonderful heroine, dashing hero and cast of loveable children. It's one of those books that you finish and are just left with a great, warm feeling and a happy sigh. A terrific read!
Love Inspired His...: Two More Days for TBGB Giveaway! 6 54 Jun 04, 2012 03:43AM
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • A Baby Between Them (Irish Brides, # 3)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Love on the Range
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas\Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • The Rake's Redemption
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1)
  • Engaging the Earl
  • Their Frontier Family (Wilderness Brides, #1)
  • The Substitute Bride
  • Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1)
The Wizard's Ward (Umbria, #1) The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2) Beauty and the Baron Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2) Married: The Virgin Widow