Start by marking “Unexpected Family” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Family

Unexpected Family (Alatore #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Jeremiah Stone: rodeo superstar. Good-time guy. Father of three? That's one pair of boots Jeremiah never expected to fill. Then his three nephews are orphaned, and his entire life changes. Not only is he now playing parent, he's also running the family ranch. It's almost too much for this cowboy.

Until he encounters Lucy Alatore.

He recognizes that look in her eye and knows
Published June 5th 2012 by Harlequin (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected Family

I have wanted to read this book since I read the prequel about Jack and Mia and this is the story of Mia's elder sister Lucy who went to LA along with her mother five years ago to start her jewellery business when Jack's mom kicked them out. Lucy is back now, her creativity dead and so are her dreams. She has sold her business without telling her mom and is broke.

Then there is the hero, a former rodeo star and now a failure. He had a bad accident and then his sister died leaving him responsible
I really loved this book and how painfully real and imperfect the characters were.

Jeremiah inherited his sister's three sons. He's been struggling with the situation for a year when the story begins. He's a man who's had to deal with too much, too soon. He wasn't ready and apparently, one year later, he still isn't. How can he grieve for his former life ? How can he be good at something he's never even wanted before ? Tough questions to answer.

Enters Lucy who is also deep in a crises of her ow
A sweet conclusion to the story started in His Wife for One Night. Both Jeremiah and Lucy are at crisis points in their lives--one unable to live the role thrust on him and the other with no clue what to do with her own life. Plus, Walter and Sandra's story is also resolved.

Jeremiah's three nephews steal the show and I'd like to see books about them as adults.

Molly O’Keefe revient avec ce roman sur la famille Alatore dont elle nous avait déjà donné un aperçu dans un roman précédent, Une rebelle en robe blanche. D’ailleurs, il est préférable d’avoir lu ce livre car les grands enjeux de celui-ci ainsi que des personnages y figurent déjà. L’héroïne, Lucy, est la sœur de la précédente et avait pris le large. Elle était une créatrice de bijoux à succès à Los Angels, bien loin du ranch familial où leurs parents ont v
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed on:

This is the first book I've ready by Molly O'Keefe, so I didn't know what to expect.

Lucy Alatore is a down and out jewelry designer, who's lost her Los Angeles business because she wanted to make fast money. Previously, she made a name for herself by making beautiful individually handmade jewelry. Down on her lucky with no place to go and in need of a much needed break, she and her mother return to their hometown of Wassau, California.

Jeremiah Stone
Jun 06, 2012 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult Women
Recommended to Emily by: First Reads/Giveaway
First Reads

I won a copy in a giveaway

I thought this was a pretty good book. I was able to read it in one day. The story flowed nicely, and it was a page turner. O'Keefe did an excellent job of setting up each new chapter, making it nearly impossible to put down; one just had to see was what going to happen next.

I liked all the characters. I must say I was surprised to read that the lead female character was thirty-six!? Up until I reached that point, I was imagining the Lucy to be in he late twe
Lucy Alatore is back where she grew up along with her mother Sandra. Lucy had a very wonderful career in LA designing jewerly, until everything fell apart for her. Jeremiah Stone is the sexy, famous rodeo champion who is now the care giver to the three childen of his deceased sister. He longs for the glamour and excitement of bull riding, not dishes, hockey practice and laundry. Lucy's mother and her father once worked the ranch with Walter. Walter was married to a wicked woman who treated them ...more
Brie C.
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

I discovered Ms. O’Keefe’s books last year when I read book one in the series. The books can be out of order, in fact, I didn’t realize they were connected until I was well into the story

When Lucy Alatore was young, all she wanted to do was design jewelry and leave home. Her dream came true and she moved to Los Angeles, but after a bad business decision she’s back to her hometown with nothing but failure.

Jeremiah Stone was a rodeo super star but he
Il est assez difficile de dire si on a aimé ou pas ce livre. Certains points sont très sympas et d'autres sont plutôt ennuyeux, ou alors ne sont pas du tout passés.

Lucy Alatore est en plein bouleversement. Sa société de création de bijoux est en crise et elle ne sait plus trop où elle en est. De retour avec sa mère au ranch de son enfance, elle doit trouver le moyen de se sortir de ses ennuis. Lorsqu'elle retrouve son ancien voisin, Jeremiah Stone, ancien homme de rodéo qui a dû raccrocher ses é
Pretty good read.

Jeremiah's a rodeo star of sorts but an injury sidelines him, and then his sister's killed, leaving him in charge of her three sons. The boys are having an understandably hard time of it, and not all is hunky-dory for his household.

Lucy's a jewelry designer come home to nurse her wounds. Her mom's with her, and they're staying with her younger sister and her new husband. There are some complexities between her mom and her BiL's dad, and a lot of family history overall.

I think wh
Good book. Jeremiah has custody of his three orphaned nephews which is something he never expected. The boys are all having trouble coping and are behaving badly, especially the middle one. Jeremiah doesn't know what to do to make it better, especially since his family has never been big on talking. Lucy and her mother have come back to Wassau to stay with her sister. Lucy had a successful career as a jewelry designer until she made some mistakes and lost it all. Now she is trying to figure out ...more
I am not usually a fan of the short contemporary length, but with Molly O'Keefe it didn't matter. Her characters are full of depth, her storytelling so rich, that I didn't feel I was lacking anything in terms of plot or background or character growth or detail. Found this so moving, and compelling, not to mention funny. I will happily pick up anything from O'Keefe from now on! : )
J'ai passé un très bon moment avec tout ce petit monde, je me suis surtout prise d'affection pour les neveux de Jeremiah, l'intrigue autour de ces garçons est attendrissante. Le temps passé avec eux aura été court et s'il se passe beaucoup de choses, force m'est de constater que l'auteur ne s'embarrasse pas de détails. Elle nous donne ce qu'elle a à nous donner, elle le fait bien c'est certain, mais en refermant le livre, si j'ai été satisfaite sur le moment, je sais aussi que cette lecture ne r ...more
Feb 09, 2015 Brittany marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads. Review to follow.
This book tackled a lot of emotional issues (mostly on the hero's part - he's guardian to his three young nephews) and did so in a very relate-able and realistic way. The hero's struggles completely made the book for me. The heroine's issues were a little less interesting, as was the secondary romance. But the dialogue was top-notch and made me laugh out loud, which is rare for me. I almost wished for more from this book, but I understand it's a category romance and remain satisfied with my A-gr ...more
Molly O'Keefe writes complex, compelling characters, and this book delivers more of those same characters. I love that she doesn't shy away from difficult subjects (topics AND people); I just know that I have to brace myself before reading one of her books for that very reason. There's plenty of angst to go around in Unexpected Family, which is part of a series, but it can easily be read alone.

I highly recommend this book, but if you're looking for a lighthearted read, this is not for you.
I won this book in a giveaway and it's even signed by miss Molly!!!' :) I couldn't put this book down! It's hot and well versed and did I mention hottttt?!? Another perfect harlequin super romance story is found in unexpected family. If you're looking for a good book to pick up you've found it!!! Thank you so much for the opportunity to read this book. I usually pass the good ones on but I think I'll be keeping this one... Maybe that's just the country girl in me! :)
I enjoyed this book by O'Keefe, as I've enjoyed her other books. I'm really glad I read the first book for this family (Wife for a Night) because that added to my understanding of the characters. This book was sweet.
Danielle Calabrese
This was a good follow up story to His Wife for One Night. I liked Lucy and Jeremiah and seeing old characters again. Molly O'Keefe is really good at character development. Don't read this book if you want a lot of just doesn't have it. It's about feelings and emotions and how each character grows and changes.
Guida Micael
What can say about Molly O'Keefe than to tell you that her books are a must read. She writes emotion like no other. Unexpected Family is an amazing story. It is emotional, funny, and a delightfully beautiful story. I felt like I was living the story. I loved it so much, I read it in two days. I just could not put it down.
Molly O'Keefe just keeps me reading! She does funny kids without making them too cute and had broken people that aren't pathetic. I rooted for every single person in this book. Her writing style is so conversational and emotional that I am sucked in from page 1, word 1!
May 26, 2012 Carrie marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
Well, I read the first one, so why not?His Wife for One Night
B+ review on Dear Author 5/26/12.
Touching read about people dealing with damaged pasts, having to decide to heal. I think I missed some previous books involving members of this family so I am going to take a look at them.
Tammy Gruber

Won this book with Goodreads First Reads!! It was a nice easy read, so I enjoyed it! Would recommend to Harlequin readers as this was my first! Thanks a bunch!,
Maureen McGowan
Nobody writes family conflict or heartbreaking romance as well as Molly O'Keefe!
Grade 3.75/5.0 (B-)
Beiza added it
Nov 20, 2015
Dayana Rodríguez
Dayana Rodríguez marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
A.J. Young
A.J. Young marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Gracie Liberty
Gracie Liberty marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • That New York Minute
  • Suddenly You
  • The Long Shot (The Fallon Brothers, #1)
  • Back in the Soldier's Arms
  • The Other Soldier (Castle Creek, #1)
  • His Marriage to Remember
  • A Tangled Affair (The Pearl House #2)
  • A Man of Distinction (Lawyers in Love, #3)
  • Caught in the Act
  • The Paternity Proposition (Dalton Twins #1)
  • The Mighty Quinns: Kieran (The Mighty Quinns, #20)
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • Gilded Secrets (The Highest Bidder #1)
  • Impossible to Resist (The Men of Wolff Mountain, #3)
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
  • The Sheikh's Redemption (Desert Nights #1)
Molly O'Keefe has always known she wanted to be a writer (except when she wanted to be a florist or a chef and the brief period of time when she considered being a cowgirl). And once she got her hands on some romances, she knew exactly what she wanted to write.

She published her first Harlequin romance at age 25 and hasn't looked back. She loves exploring every character's road towards happily ever
More about Molly O'Keefe...

Alatore (2 books)