Not Fit for a King?

Not Fit for a King? (A Royal Scandal #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The imposter princess... It was the stuff of fairy tales: Hannah agreed to help out a princess, and within hours finds herself engaged to a king! This dangerous charade has to end fast-the electrifying chemistry between them feels far too real!

...and the king!

Zale's royal bride-to-be looks like the pampered princess he's being forced to wed-yet she's transformed into a...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Harlequin (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not Fit for a King?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Fit for a King?

Alex is The Romance Fox

Wow…this is a total OTT fairytale, where it can only happen in a Mills & Boon story…which is of course one of the reasons I love their books.
Jane Porter is one of my most fav romance authors – I love all her books…my favorite is her Galvan series which is awesome and have reread each book over and over again.
I find her writing emotional and her characters always so engaging even if at times some things are so farfetched…but hey this is fiction after all…and we do want Cinderella to get her p...more
Diah Didi
I ... loved ... it
I know it's very typical, that's exactly what I thought at some first pages.
Some may think it's cheesy. So it's very light and quick-read indeed. But I found out I enjoy it a lot.
And having Paul Marron on the cover, it's pretty easy for me to visualize Zale. *drooling
Zale ... what a name. Never encountered any novel with that name. And I like it. Most of time, I'm not really interested with hero from Arab and others, Italy, Russia, Spain ... But I was so drawn to Zale.
I loved...more
HÜLYA
Yıllar önce okuduğum bir Barbara Cartland romanına konusu neredeyse birebir benziyordu..Bu ikizli konuları çok seviyorum..Kaç kere okusamda hiç sıkılmıyorum...Hepimizin bazen masala ihtiyacı oluyor...Hannah kendisine benziyen prensese yardım ederken işlerin bu kadar karışacağını tahmin edemezdi..Belli bir süre sadece bir günlüğüne onun yerine geçecekti ve zamanını da otelde geçirecekti..Ama plan tutmadı..Bu prensesin evleneceği adama da aşık olarak işler dahada karıştı...Çok sevdim..Ne yapayım.....more
Moran
I enjoyed reading Zale and Hannah's story.
It was a romantic story full of emotions and chemistry between the hero and heroine .
I can't wait to read Emmeline story soon!
Jessica
Aww this was such a cute book! It was definitely like a fairytale, but that's exactly how I like them! The characters are so lovable and they go through so many trials to try and be with their one true love.

Hannah is a girl everyone can relate to; she's not super skinny, she doesn't always know what the right thing to do is, and she's just a normal girl. Well, until she meets a princess who looks EXACTLY like her, switches places with her, and finds herself drawn to the princess's fiancé. And b...more
Kelly
My Rating: 3.0

Obtained: Through Goodreads First Reads

I was so glad when I won Fit For A King? though a goodreads first reads giveaway. I always loved reading situations of a real royalty member falling for a regular everyday person, such as the book The Princess and the Pauper written by Kate Brian. Fit For A King? was like The Princess and the Pauper: a real princess and a normal everyday girl swapping places with one another.

I love how Jane Porter executed the book. Every moment was filled...more
RomReader
Heroine agrees to impersonate a princess who happen to look like her except for the hair coloring. The agreement is to pretend to be her to her fiancé Hero for a few days until the princess finishes up what she set out to do, go back to Hero’s country, and switch places with her unnoticed. The problem is that the princess keeps delaying her return & heroine is left having to keep Hero from cancelling his wedding to the princess. Heroine’s efforts to keep him from doing so become more involve...more
Marlene Engel
Princess Emmeline and King Zale are to be married. Their soon to be (arranged) marriage has been known since Zale was 15. However, Emmeline has been having an affair throughout their one year engagement. While in Palm Beach, Princess Emmeline meets Hannah. Hannah is the spitting image of Emmeline. Emmeline asks Hannah to switch places with her for a few hours so she can go out and not be recognized as the princess. What was suppose to be only a few hours turned into days. Hannah ended up flying...more
Donna McBroom-Theriot
In the first book of the series, we meet Hannah, personal assistant to Sheikh Makin Al-Koury, and King Zale.

Hannah, while overseeing a polo match for the sheikh, meets Princess Emmeline who’s resemblance to Hannah is uncanny. Little does she realize that her life is about to take a 180 when the princess asks her to switch places for a few hours.

When a few hours turn into a few days, she is forced to board a plane to meet the princess’ intended, King Zale.

King Zale, expecting a pampered pri...more
Miglet
Five stars, you guys. Seriously.

Besides the instantaneous attraction between our hero and heroine, besides the well-written maturation from lonely king who keeps himself from love to avoid being hurt to open and trusting man, besides how awesomely real our heroine is even for a typical mistaken identity princess tale...

This book contains the single most erotic passage of any book that I have ever read. I know that's a heady statement to make, but I read this like a month ago, and haven't forgo...more
Carol Storm
I really enjoyed this story. It was fun to see a Texas girl get a chance to be a princess! I loved how Zale was not just a king but a soccer star, a track star, and even a surfer! The hero's personal losses and his family tragedies were handled well and added depth to his character. Raguvia is a made up country but I really enjoyed the minor Raguvian characters and especially the quaint little hotel Hannah stays in at the very end.

SPOILER ALERT

The one thing that really annoyed me about this book...more
Annalynn
I can't quite believe I'm rating this 4 stars, but of all the books I took with me on vacation, I enjoyed this the most. Its totally, as one might say, a f@#$ng fairy-tale, but who can resist the story of separated-at-birth twin sisters, one a small town Texas gal and the other a European princess, who trade places? This story just focused on our Texan masquerading as a princess and the king she falls in love with, and I must confess to being very glad I checked it out from the library. Now to l...more
J.R. Newell
The plot was beyond silly, even for a Harlequin Presents, but I found myself enjoying the book all the same. The author did a good job with creating an alpha male hero with a sweet side, which is a tough balancing act. The heroine was a bit of a dope but had to be in order for the story to work. And the ending was a bit too simple and unrealistic - it was actually the reason I couldn't give this book more stars. However, this author writes well and I will probably read more of her books in the f...more
Tia
This is actually part of a series, I read Emma's story a while back and wondered if there was another book that had Hannah's story. This one was that! I really liked hearing what happened on Hannah's end, we know that Emma got her wish of a 'prince' and now it was Hannah's turn. It didn't disappoint. I loved the heroine and was so grateful she got her happy ending and baby. The hero was kind of brooding but he was likable as well and turned out to be such a great guy.
Dalia

It was a decent read, but I m not usually a fan of royalty romance, I think they are OTT fairy tales that has nothing to do with reality or real people. I couldn't warm to Hannah, I couldnt find any plausible justification for her behavior to pretend to be princess Emmeline, or to continue the charade for so long, and most of all I couldn't go past the fact that she slept with Zale, Emmeline s fiance, under false pretences. That kind of ruined the book for me.
Lenore Kosinski
3.5 stars -- It was nice to get back to just some light Harlequin reading... I always seem to enjoy Ms. Porter's books, and this one was no exception. It was hard how long Hannah kept Zale in the dark, but I enjoyed watching them fall in love with each other and that won out in the end for how I overall enjoyed the book. I'm disliking Emmeline at the moment though, so will be interesting to see how I enjoy the next book....
Lorretta
I received this through the GoodReads Giveway.

This was what I assume is a typical Harlequin type of book. Quick to read, improbable plot but fun. It took less than an hour to read and did cart me off to an imaginary scenario.

It's a typical switch places, fall in love, hide the truth, reveal the truth, despair and finally the inevitable happiness.
Diane
the premise of this book is totally off the wall, but the author manages to almost make the reader believe it. in this day of computers, super security, identity theft, etc., it's impossible to think that one woman substituting for another without extensive preparation, can happen with the imposter pulling it off for any length of time.
Elisabeth
This book I simply loved. To me it's one of Jane's best Harlequins so fare. It was so easy to be drawn in to the story and connect with the characters. Very well written. I can't wait to finish reading Book 2 in Jane's Royalty Duo, "His Majesty's Mistake". This book, "Not Fit for a King?" is Book 1 in Jane's Royalty Duo.
Monica Tillery
Jane Porter does it again! This is a beautifully written modern-day fairy tale. I was captivated by the story, unable to put it down while the characters made their way towards their happily ever after. It's a must-read, especially if you're looking for an escape this summer.
Janine
Wonderfully fun! Wouldn't you love to change lives with someone who looks like you and live their life for the day? Hannah trades places with the princess, Emmeline and gets more then she bargained for. She falls in love with King Zale. I couldn't put this book down.
Christine
Yes, it was a predictable storyline but that didn't take away from this book. It was written well and I loved it! Hannah was a breath of fresh air from Emmeline. Zale, wow a HOT King! and they did make magic! HEA :-)
Nancy S.
This was a good book. Not your average Harlequin book in that you could not figure it out in the beginning what was going to happen. There was a very interesting twist near the end that I did not see coming.
Marina Andreou
I love it!!! I hope the second story of the twin sister Emmie traslation to Greek....Amazing book ..thank u Jane :)
Tawnya
Really impressed with storyline. Unlike others I've read, this storyline had a lot of originality.
Odessa Nance
I liked this book. It was a twist from the usual Prince and Princess stories.
LC
Perhaps a little unrealistic but still fun so I didn't even care!
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: A Royal Scandal
Category: Classic Romance
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: A Royal Scandal
Category: Classic Romance
Vânia Nunes
It's a short and amazing story. I really liked it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Defying the Prince
  • The Tarnished Jewel of Jazaar
  • The Girl Nobody Wanted
  • The Dangerous Jacob Wilde (The Wilde Brothers, #1)
  • Waking Up in the Wrong Bed
  • The Return of the Renegade (The Scandalous St. Claires #1)
  • The Good, the Bad and the Wild (Brothers & Sisters, #3)
  • The Sultan's Choice
  • Heart of a Desert Warrior (Royal Brides #10)
  • Enemies at the Altar
  • Craving the Forbidden (The Fitzroy Legacy #1)
  • What Lies Beneath
  • A Legacy of Secrets (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #1)
  • Dealing Her Final Card (Princes Untamed, #1)
  • An Inconvenient Affair (The Alpha Brotherhood, #1)
  • A  Royal World Apart (Call of Duty, #1)
  • Undone by His Touch
  • Trouble in a Pinstripe Suit
Born in Visalia, California, I'm a small town girl at heart. I love central California's golden foothills, oak trees, and the miles of farmland. In my mind, there's nothing sweeter in the world than the heady fragrance of orange blossoms on a sultry summer night.

As a little girl I spent hours on my bed, staring out the window, dreaming of far off places, fearless knights, and happy-ever-after endi...more
More about Jane Porter...
Mrs. Perfect Odd Mom Out Flirting with Forty She's Gone Country The Good Woman