Start by marking “The Wondrous Journals of Dr. Wendell Wellington Wiggins” as Want to Read:
The Wondrous Journals of Dr. Wendell Wellington Wiggins

The Wondrous Journals of Dr. Wendell Wellington Wiggins

Presents the journal of a paleozoologist who departed England in 1850 on a journey around the world seeking to learn the ways and fates of the most ancient creatures, accompanied by a strange pet, Gibear, and with the chiding voice of his mother often in his ear.
Published August 7th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about The Wondrous Journals of Dr. Wendell Wellington Wiggins

Melissa Sodano
Jul 30, 2012 Melissa Sodano rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Steph
Feb 12, 2017 Steph rated it liked it
3.5 this is a re read for me. so cute
Sara Frey
Jan 21, 2013 Sara Frey rated it it was ok
Dr. Wendell Wellington Wiggins travels from his home in England to all ends of the earth to document species of plants and animals that have never been seen before on a five year journey. His travel journals include chidings from his mother, sketches of the (completely fictional) wildlife and flora he discovers and his own musings on life. Each chapter is devoted to a specific continent and the species discovered there. The book is in chronological order, but you won’t find the common story elem ...more
oh boy this book was the second strangest book i've ever read (zebulon finch being the strangest) i couldn't tell if it was serious or not but the whole thing was so c o n t r i v e d i'm dying
the morals??? hlep me????
and the creatures were unrealistic to the point of hilarity
it butchered paleontology (am i really supposed to believe that wiggins, alone, on the fly, could have determined the color of a fossilized creature's skin when we are ONLY JUST DEVELOPING THAT TECHNOLOGY, much less came up
Tati Dengo
Dec 25, 2012 Tati Dengo rated it it was ok
Dr. Wiggins travels around the globe, finding uncanny extinct creatures anywhere he sets foot. It's an interesting premise but eventually becomes too repetitive because the same sequence of events happens in each chapter.

Thankfully, his pet, Gibear, adds the most charm to the book with his mysterious antics and origin.

Each chapter includes allegories to match the demise of each creature, adding a level of meaning to the stories.

Welcome tidbits of real world facts are included as footnotes, whi
Lorelie
Sep 03, 2012 Lorelie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
What an imagination! Loved reading about all the strange creatures that Dr. Wiggins found across the world. Cute story. It would be fun to plot Dr. Wiggins course on a map and find real creatures for those locations to compare. Loved the way his "mom" always appeared to create a moral for each animal's story. Thank you Net Galley for allowing me to read this book! I have purchased it, and shared it with several of my students.
Nancy
May 26, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Dr. Wiggins’ journals were once thought lost. The greatest paleozoologist of all time traveled the world in search of ancient creatures. He was interested in creatures who lived before humans. And the loss of his journals would be devastating. But it has been found and it is here for you to enjoy. Read about his fantastical findings such as the two headed mammoth buffalo in Nebraska, the rainbow spitting cobras in India and, of course, the hummingbird people from South Africa.
Heather
Sep 18, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I made it to page 75 and decided that since I wasn't enjoying it, I might as well give up. This may be a fabulous book for some, and it did have some interesting moments, but for me the overall effect was boredom. I did like the little creature Gibear, but didn't consider him enough reason to finish the book.
Tater
Sep 02, 2015 Tater rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! I like it because it is a fiction book, but on the bottom of the page it has some real facts. All of the explorations of the mythological creatures Dr. Wendell had were cool. I loved this book so much I finished it in about 28 hours! This book may be boring to others as it is mostly the facts about ancient imaginary animals.
Rainey
Lesley
Mar 19, 2014 Lesley rated it really liked it
Read this book to my 10-year-old son. We loved this book. Looked forward to reading about all the wonderful creatures Dr. Wiggins discovered and the somewhat realistic adventures he experienced.
Janet
Oct 29, 2012 Janet marked it as books-i-didn-t-finish
Shelves: book-club
Our middle-grade readers at Avid Bookshop are crazy for this book! Several listed it as an all-time favorite.
Gabriella Reeves
Jun 11, 2013 Gabriella Reeves rated it it was amazing
Amazing. One word.
Brenda
Feb 16, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: julien-s-shelf
My 11 year old son read this book & truly enjoyed it. Of course he is kind of into crypto-zoology ...so this was right up his alley! This review is on his behalf - I never read the book.
Amy Myers
Amy Myers rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2014
Laura Phelps
Laura Phelps rated it liked it
May 11, 2012
Maggie G.
Maggie G. rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2013
Brandi
Brandi rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
BeeCharmer13
BeeCharmer13 rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Lika
Lika rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2012
Janet
Janet rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2013
Cayla
Cayla rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2013
Nya
Nya rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
lotte
lotte rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Bear
Bear rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Rachel Mika
Rachel Mika rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Lesley M. M. Blume is an author, columnist and journalist. She did her undergraduate work at WIlliams College and Oxford University, and took her graduate degree in history from Cambridge University.
She now regularly contributes to Vanity Fair, The Wall Street Journal and Departures magazine.
More about Lesley M.M. Blume...