Start by marking “Every Day (Every Day, #1)” as Want to Read:
Every Day (Every Day, #1)

Every Day (Every Day #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  106,711 Ratings  ·  13,458 Reviews
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meet
Published August 28th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Every Day, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Megan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Forest There is a prequel to this book called "Six Earlier Days". "Every Day" starts at Day 5994, this features 6 extra chapters to A's life before that.…moreThere is a prequel to this book called "Six Earlier Days". "Every Day" starts at Day 5994, this features 6 extra chapters to A's life before that. There is also a sequel to it called "Rhiannon" which is from Rhiannon's POV.(less)

Kathryn
Sep 19, 2012 Kathryn rated it did not like it
Emily May
Aug 22, 2015 Emily May rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, romance, 2015
I am not kissing her because I want to, and I am not kissing her because I need to - I am kissing her for a reason that transcends want and need, that feels elemental to our existence, a molecular component on which our universe will be built.

I have enjoyed Levithan's books in the past, but the magic that other readers found in Every Day just wasn't there for me.

Many claims have been made about this book - that it is a clever "what if" science fiction novel, that it explores what it means to b
Wendy Darling
What makes us fall in love--and what makes us who we are?

Those are the questions at the heart of this novel, which tells a thoughtful, touching story that will surprise readers with its sentient literary style and gentle feeling.

Everyone longs for human connection, but 16-year-old A.'s search for it seems to be a losing proposition. Every day, for as long as he can remember, he wakes up in a different body: sometimes as a girl, sometimes with a different ethnicity, sometimes with a different se
Lola  Reviewer

Can you imagine waking up every day in the body of someone else? Pretending to be them for a day? Being them for a day? Your soul traveling from body to body, restless.

David Levithan is a very deep type of guy… on his way to becoming a philosopher, as I like to believe. He creates stories that tackle realities of modern life and depicts profound lead characters that have something intelligent and thoughtful to say about the world.

At first, I wasn’t convinced about the whole concept. I thought it
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jan 10, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read w/Amanda, Joan & Rebecca
I wake up the next morning in Beyonce's body.

3.5 stars. I think I hated this book, even though I was drawn into it like a moth to a flame. And by hate, I mean that I did like the book, but found myself frustrated because I was forced to question every single damn thing. There was something about the entire story that suffocated the hell out of me. My head hurt from trying to figure out how all of 'this' was supposed to work. My heart hurt from the presumed hopelessness of the situation. Yet,
Nancy
Aug 27, 2012 Nancy rated it did not like it
The concept for the story is intriguing - A is a person that inhabits another person's body for one day. Sometimes A is a boy, sometimes a girl. A can inhabit different colors of skin and different shapes and sizes. A tries to minimize the impact of occupying the body. A is supposedly not judgmental. Whatever body A inhabits is fine with A.

The story is, I believe, about acceptance. People come in all shapes, sizes, genders and orientations. There is no preference given the above mentioned catego
Ariana
Wow! This was such a feast for my eyes and mind!

My thoughts after finishing the book: SO GOOD! I didn't even have time to mark it as currently-reading, this is how lost into the story I've been. One of the best books I've read in quite a while!

Full review:

Romance aside, this story is about people .. All kinds of people in all kinds of scenarios, with different lives and in different environments. It's the most wonderful book about what it means to be human.

It takes you on a journey around the
Jenna

Do you ever read a book and think, “Am I reading the same thing as everyone else”? This is exactly how I felt with Every Day. All the reviews I’d seen were full of praise. I was expecting it to be amazing. It was not.

It's a shame because I liked the concept of “A” waking up in a different body each day, content to do so until falling in love with the girlfriend of one of the bodies. Intriguing, right? Unfortunately, the execution didn’t work for me. The writing itself was gorgeous and t
April
Jan 25, 2016 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2015
OH MY GOD. How could I not rate this masterpiece 5 stars? AND HOW WILL I MOVE ON FROM THESE FEELINGS?
Flannery
Once upon a time, a high school-aged girl attempted to make lasagna for her three siblings and their parents. As both the youngest child and as someone with quite the reputation as a calamity machine of Amelia Bedelia proportions, she had a lot to prove. When her family came home and sat down to dinner, everyone remarked that the lasagna tasted...okay, but off. They asked her how she made it and she recounted the correct steps and then remarked that it took her a really long time to chop all tha ...more
Maureen
May 10, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
This was just a beautiful book.
Sep 06, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Why do I remember a time spent driving around all day with wind and music in my hair as if it was yesterday, but can’t recall one detail about my high school graduation? Some days stick. Others fade away. A life mystery...I hope forever remains a mystery.

One day at a time. Live every day to the fullest. Be in the moment. Day to day. Today is a new day. See you tomorrow…..Are just a few of the common expressions that Mr. Levithan blows up and almost redefines in the pages of Every Day. A book tha
Lindsey Rey
Nov 23, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it it was amazing
WOW.
Ecmel Soylu
Jul 24, 2015 Ecmel Soylu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Yerle bir olmuş gibi hissediyorum :')

İki satır bir şey yazıp hemen gidicem çünkü kitabı okumak için yapmam gereken ne varsa erteledim ve şuan nefes almadan hazırlanmam lazım.

Akşama doğru "Ay biraz okuyayım, zaten yarın yola çıkıcaz yanıma alırım." düşüncesiyle başlayan eylemlerim, yerimden kalkmadan kitabı bitirmemle sona ermiş bulunmakta. Her şeyi çok sevdim ama bahsedecek vaktim yok dediğim gibi ama şuna değinmeden geçemicem, bazen yazarlar felsefi düşüncelerini, ilişkiler, hayat, aşk ile ilgi
Blythe
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Despite what you might think from my rating, I really, truly loved this book. I want to give this book a full five star rating so much, but, regardless of how much I think this book deserves a five star rating, and how much I want to give it a five star rating, I just can't bring myself to give it that.

A has an indeterminate gender, an indeterminate family, and even indeterminate name. Each and every day, A finds himself waking up in a new body
Komal
Jan 04, 2013 Komal rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance-drama
David Levithan formed the perfect hypothesis, but he failed to design an experiment, plan an observation or conduct a research and quench the bits which mattered the most. Instead, he took the easier route out and declared the result unreachable when it could have, so easily, been created right out of the never-emptying vaults of his mind.

Sometimes, an author gets a brilliant idea, an idea that is out of this world, untried, new and unique and awaiting to challenge him and his readers alike. Dav
Mario
Mar 22, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own, own-read
This was one of those books that I knew I was going to give 5 stars from page one. It's just brilliant.
I loved every single thing about it. I loved the writing style, characters, story, how it dealt with sooo many important themes... just everything. I especially enjoyed reading from A's point of view. I loved his way of thinking so much.

And it really made me think about life, and some things that I haven't thought about before. And I love when a book does that.

Can't wait for to sequel to come
Bren

WARNING: THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE....

With that said, I put this book as one of my favorites. When I finished my feelings were all over the place, that I needed time to collect them. Now its been months and this book still makes my heart beat faster, my palms get sweaty, and I am eager to see where "A" will be next. You see this is a tale like no other. David Levithan has messed with my head, in a way that I am grateful for. He made me think and choose between ideas and feelings I never thou
Elyse
Jun 07, 2015 Elyse rated it it was amazing
What would it be like to wake up in a different body every day? And what would it be like
to be in love with a person who changed every day?
What makes us fall in love--and what makes us who we are?

These are the questions at the heart of this novel... a touching story.
Everyone longs for human connection, but 16 year old *A's* search for it seems to be losing
proposition. Every day he wakes up in a different body, ( sometimes a girl. an athlete, or different ethnicity, obese, wealthy, middle cla
Laz
Jan 09, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: realistic fiction fans
This was magnificent. It was a heart-stopping read. It was too realistic without being non-fiction.

A boy who changes bodies every day. A girl who's helplessly in love with someone who doesn't return her love. What can these two have in common? Everything and nothing.

It's a heartbreaking love story told from the perspective of a boy who's only ever known impermanence. Every day he wakes up in someone else's body, he gets to be that person, he gets access to their memories and to their lives and
Wendy F
Jan 28, 2013 Wendy F rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-na-mg, gritty, 2013

Why do you read books?

I read books because they transport me somewhere else. I go on adventures, fall in love, grieve, laugh... I find best friends, and sometimes I lose best friends. This is the first time that I've read a book and actually felt alone... lonely.

Imagine, you have nobody of your own. Every day you have a new mother, new father, new life... you drift from body to body, without any real roots or anything that you can call your own. The MC, 'A', kept trying to convince Rhiannon, and
Sandra
Sep 05, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This review can also be found on My Fiction Nook.

I don't even know where to start. This book made me cry, it was so good.

The MC is a person of indeterminate gender, looks and even name, who wakes up in a different body every single day. 'A', as s/he calls him/herself has been like this since birth. Every morning, 'A' has to check whether the body currently inhabited is male or female, check the location
Nihan
Jul 16, 2015 Nihan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hüzünlendim, gözlerim doldu. Çok güzeldi ya. Favorilerim arasına girdi. :'(
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I immediately started sobbing after closing the book because I am just devastated to be leaving it behind me. I can definitely imagine how A must feel every day when A wakes up as someone else. My heart hurts. This book was phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. I'm terrified to read the sequel bc of just how much this book meant to me.

Also- RHIANNON. She was just.. Amazing. David Levithan wrote her so well. I feel like I fell in love with her right alongside A. I JUST CAN'T WITH THIS BOOK. I'm fee
Karina Halle
Mar 24, 2013 Karina Halle rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...but I round up cuz I'm nice like that.

I can see how this book won't be for everyone. It's thought-provoking and doesn't really give any clear answers. It's depressing and fatalistic. It's poignant and stays with you, much like Before I Fall or Never Let Me Go did for days after I read them. Some people don't want think, they want a fluffy escape. This is not a fluffy escape. In fact, in some ways, the book made me feel trapped in a metal box.

But don't let the unusual subject matter -
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5 stars

This book was absolutely fantastic, just another in the long line of amazing books I've read by David Levithan this year. The end wasn't quite what I wanted it to be, but I loved A so much and absolutely loved the story.
Eren Nadir Akşamoğlu
Jul 21, 2015 Eren Nadir Akşamoğlu rated it it was amazing
Ya sen muhteşemsin adam. Al bütün yıldızlar senin olsun. Daha fazla David kitabı verin bana. n'olur diğer kitapları da bir an evvel çıksın \(^o^)/\(^o^)/
Tilly Booth
May 27, 2015 Tilly Booth rated it really liked it
My first David Levithan book! Yay! Let me paint the scene: I walked into the bookstore and for the first time ever (after hearing about this book for ages I saw it. It sad mid shelf with the cover facing towards me, looking at me longingly. I reached out, my fingertips brushing the corner and i pulled it to my chest and squealed, "my baby." then I bought it. Rushed back to my hotel and immediately, started this book.

I have heard amazing things about this book and i'm proud to say it lived up t
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
With a character named A who has no gender whatsoever. A doesn’t know how it happens and doesn’t know why things happen but it claims only his self. Every day he inhabits a different body, a different life. And out of the blue, he falls in love with the girlfriend of one of the souls he’s taken over. His life is never the same again because as we all know love is complicated and timeless.

This book is written very well. Straight to the point with tons of quotes that I marked in this review. It st
  • Teeth
  • Never Fall Down
  • Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate!
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Moonbird: A Year on the Wind with the Great Survivor B95
  • Sex & Violence
  • Stick
  • All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
  • Personal Effects
  • Lucid
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • Radiant Days
  • I am J
  • Dead to You
  • Bruiser
  • October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

More about David Levithan...

Every Day (3 books)
  • Another Day (Every Day, #2)
  • Untitled (Every Day, #3)

“If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.” 2239 likes
“I wake up thinking of yesterday. The joy is in remembering; the pain is in knowing it was yesterday.” 1202 likes