Start by marking “Smart Women Know When to Say No” as Want to Read:
Smart Women Know When to Say No

Smart Women Know When to Say No

Bestselling author uses commonsense psychology, humor, and stories to help women learn how to live a more balanced life.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Women Know When to Say No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Women Know When to Say No

Rose
This was offered as a Kindle freebie, and while I've read quite a few self-help guides/pamphlets discussing "Nice Girl Syndrome" and the issues surrounding that, this was one of the most annoying, generalizing guides I've come across. The author actually does make some decent assertions about how women who have trouble saying "no" to the people around them suffer from low self esteem and examines some of the destructive factors in the mentality via personal examinations across different relation ...more
Thuy
Apr 19, 2012 Thuy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book seeemed repetitive and was very general. It felt like the author grabbed random circumstances and put it all in one book. The writing was also very dry.
Ariesmoonlover
Jun 11, 2013 Ariesmoonlover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, bum
I was impressed with this little book. I thought it would just be another book that will tell you something trite but I was surprised. It exceeded my expectations.

The book offers scenarios and tips on how to be a positive pleaser or more assertive if you are a suffering "pleaser". It touches on the relationship between a controller and a "pleaser" (usually in marriage) and how birth order can make different types of pleasers (generally, you will find more pleasers in the first-borns and the only
Lobug
May 02, 2012 Lobug rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed in this book, as I think his others are pretty decent. This was so one-sided it made me angry. Granted, a lot of women wind up in unfortunate marriages- but not all! This was directed entirely to one small demographic. Also, not all of a woman's problems come from her husband- or children- or father. This book made it sound as if they do. Not all men are controlling jerks. This book made it sound as if they are.
I was totally frustrated by this. I am sure there are women in the
Chambrick
Sep 06, 2011 Chambrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I picked it up at an airport, started reading, but stuffed it in a drawer for years. I experienced some significant shifts in my life, just happened to stumble across this book and that's when the messages really hit home for me. It may seem overly simplistic, but for someone who truly has lived this way all her life, you recognize yourself and the situations immediately. If I had not gone through what I did, the book may not have meant so much to me. I just wish I ...more
Marcy Stearns
Aug 24, 2012 Marcy Stearns rated it did not like it
Shelves: lifelight
So far so good. I'm a little concerned about his idea that you cannot change that "little girl" within. That she will always be there and be the same. I'm not sure that is what Jesus is giving us. I will continue to read it, but I believe that Jesus can satisfy the lacks for that "little girl" and she can mature to become proactive instead of reactive.

Finally I've decided to say no....to this book. It was getting depressing that things will never change...that there will always be a struggle. T
Julie Kolb
Dec 02, 2012 Julie Kolb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book that can be read straight through. It requires some stops and contemplation. It has some difficult to accept concepts that initial knee jerk reaction can meet with frustration and disagreement. Stop and contemplate it before moving on, perhaps even retreading that section before understanding of the philosophy of advice given is apparent. It is an excellent book, but not a quick read and challenging.p
Tandy
Aug 10, 2012 Tandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I wanted and expected more from this book. It assumed that every woman who has a hard time saying no had a bad male influence in their lives. I had a wonderful father and he has nothing to do with the fact that I try to please everyone around me. I decided about half way through this book that I wasn't going to get any information that worth having.
Lucas Johnson
This work comes from the perspective of a controlling personality trying to coach the pleasing types into rounding out their character. I think there is a lot for controllers to learn as well, and there are plenty of opportunities for that. Overall, a good message and a quick read.
Lindsay
Apr 08, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, kindle, z2012
Quite a good guide on being assertive for those of us who hate saying no. Some points I didn't completely agree with, but overall not bad.
Bobbi Dust
Jun 29, 2012 Bobbi Dust rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really helped me understand why I am the way I am. I recommend this book to all women!
Joanna
Feb 13, 2011 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually has a decent synthesis of a lot of different material and gives practical tips
Kathryn
Dec 18, 2011 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not helpful at all. Smart women should know to read another book that isn't so stereotypical.
Anino
To be succinct, this book was chock full of wisdom for chicas who do & feel too much. As a reformed Pleaser, I found Dr.Leman to be incredibly insightful and on target.

Giving this one: 4.5 stars
Aisha
Sep 06, 2015 Aisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for counseling! All about people pleasing.
Gillian Masters
Gillian Masters rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2015
Barbara Wood
Barbara Wood rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Donna Smith
Donna Smith rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2016
Nellie
Nellie rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2012
Prophessor Koonce
Prophessor Koonce rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Debbie catalan
Debbie catalan rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Susi
Susi rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Cynthia LaBrecque
Cynthia LaBrecque rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Lydia
Lydia rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Mandy Fite wagler
Mandy Fite wagler rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Tom White
Tom White rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Jeanne Kornegay
Jeanne Kornegay rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2017
Alberta
Alberta rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • You Are What You Think
  • The Art of Zen Meditation
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • Near To The heart Of God
  • Organize for a Fresh Start: Embrace Your Next Chapter in Life
  • A Woman Who Trusts God: Finding the Peace You Long for
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More (Everything Series)
  • Parenting is Heart Work
  • Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • How to Ruin Your Life By 30: Just Follow These 9 Easy Steps!
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Codependency for Dummies
  • Personality Plus at Work: How to Work Successfully with Anyone
  • The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
  • The New Rules for Love, Sex, and Dating
  • Raising Kids with Character That Lasts
Dr. Kevin Leman is an internationally recognized psychologist, author, and media personality. He was the first to popularize Adlerian psychological concepts in the United States, which are based on birth-order and family dynamics. Dr. Leman holds Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degrees in clinical psychology from the University of Arizona.

Dr. Leman is the founder and president of "Couples of P
More about Kevin Leman...