Start by marking “A Girl in a Million” as Want to Read:
A Girl in a Million

A Girl in a Million

A dynamic consultant...and a student nurse? "I'm not aware that I am restricted in my actions by anyone or anything." Arrogant, rich and devastatingly attractive, Marius van Houbenwas the sort of man who was used to getting his own way.He certainly wasn't prepared for Caroline's plainspoken, commonsense approach. After all, as a student nurse, both qualities were an ass ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Girl in a Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl in a Million

Kathleen
Betty Neels. British author. The great dame of medical romances. Born in 1909, she oughta had stock in Mills and Boon. She's written oodles of these things! More than 100, and all after she retired from nursing. Clean stories, profanity free (mostly) and sex free. This particular romance was first published in 1993, and later released in digital format.

In Betty's world of romance, every hero is a rich Dutch doctor and every heroine loves nothing better than waking at sunrise, puttering in the ga
Aayesha Khatri

Another amazing feel-good book by Betty Neels! I loved this one so much, I loved the heroine and her kindness and caring nature, I loved how the hero couldn't get her out of his mind and kept making excuses to take her out, and most of all, I loved little Marc. He was such a dear! <3 I loved the relationship between Marc and Caroline.

Th only thing that put me off and disappointed me was how short and hurried the ending was. It wasn't enough! Betty's endings are never quite up to the
Dianna
Student nurse Caroline holidays in Amsterdam and drops off a book as a favour to a colleague. The receiver is big handsome Marius van Houben. She is so immediately struck down by his masculine charms that she falls over in the gutter outside his house.

He brings her inside for a bit of first aid and to advise her to comb her hair. He’s not at all invested in her – she’s plain and cheaply dressed. And has messy hair.

Back at the hospital, Caroline is still thinking about Marius. Her friends all sor
Sophie
This book is billed as the "The Best of Betty Neels," but I assume by "Best" Harlequin means "Easiest for us to transfer to digital." Because this book is far from best of anything. I can't believe it was originally published in 1993. The dynamic of the relationship, the medical details, the attitude of the secondary characters, are all more like 1953 than 1993.

Our introduction to the heroine is when she falls down some steps and injures herself while on holiday in Amsterdam. The Dutch hero is
Pamela Shropshire
Sep 28, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
Caroline Frisby, orphan and trainee nurse, is on holiday in Amsterdam with her only relative, Aunt Meg. As a favor to another student nurse, she delivers a package to a lovely house beside a canal just off the Herengracht. As she is leaving, a dark blue Bentley pulls up, catching her attention. She falls and gets some scrapes and bruises. A tall, blond, handsome man gets out of the Bentley, helps her us, takes her inside the house, introduces himself as Marius van Houben, and tends to her injuri ...more
Helen Manning
May 27, 2016 Helen Manning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TGB delivers again. Wonderfully romantic story of a PBN in training who aids in the recovery of the RDD's nephew from a catastrophic head injury. Caroline is sweet yet vinegary when roused and Marius who has sworn off entanglements of the finds himself more and more intrigued by her. There are the usual cast of supporting characters, Aunt Meg, little Marc and his parents, the FFRs and various pets, and hospital staff. One in particular, Robert; who has a loving fiancée in Birminham, befriends C ...more
Teri-k
Apr 13, 2016 Teri-k rated it really liked it
This is a very nice Neels book, one where both MC's are pleasant people. Our heroine is an orphaned nursing student who lives with her Aunt, the hero a RD anesthetist with a female cousin who works with the heroine. (Despite what the description says, I didn't find him arrogant at all. Simply preoccupied at first.) There's no nasty OW or terrible parent causing trouble, just two people who don't think they have anything in common spending time together and gradually falling in love. Sometimes I ...more
Tishke
Sep 02, 2013 Tishke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another feel good book by Betty Neels. There is one thing that bugs me about her books though. Why do all her lead female characters have to be almost ugly, not plain, not average, but to the point that everyone says to their face, you have no look but you are a good person?
Allison
Jul 19, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I love Betty Neels. She is so easy to read. There is nothing traumatic, or grim, or crude. Just simple people with a simple love story that has no urgency or angst. Her books are so comforting.
Ileana
Jul 10, 2012 Ileana rated it it was ok
Entre "estuvo bien" y "me gustó".

El tema del libro, los personajes, la historia y todo estuvo bien, pero no me gustó mucho la forma de escribir de la autora, te encandilabas con la lectura y ¡zaz! de repente se cambiaba, tiene así como que cortes que se me hicieron feos, y pues igual las declaraciones amorosas me parecieron... pff.
Como sea, a pesar de todo, no puedo decir que me arrepienta de haberlo leído.
Melinda
Sep 14, 2016 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Marius, the hero. I think I like him so much because Betty lets you see into his mind more than she does most of her heroes. You can see when he first becomes interested in Caroline and you get to watch the romance progress from both points of view. I also like that he wasn't the sarcastic sneering type of hero. Re-read this on openlibrary.org and will read it many more times.
Nenya
Feb 12, 2016 Nenya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story. Just didnt feel like they connected. How could they when the h was "cross" every single time they interacted!
Lanelle
Jan 19, 2016 Lanelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of Neels' books. Very little plot. The main characters seemed two dimensional.
Allison
Mar 20, 2016 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet again a very abrupt ending. I wonder how a Neels hero would make out today?
Monique
Feb 19, 2016 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very slow and sweet:)
Amy Dinello
Sep 28, 2013 Amy Dinello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Betty
Hopefulpuffin
Hopefulpuffin rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Amanda Reny
Amanda Reny rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Rahul Nerlekar
Rahul Nerlekar marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Claudia Hardwick
Claudia Hardwick rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Eloisa
Eloisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Cecilia71
Cecilia71 rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Jelena Rae
Jelena Rae marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Shayla
Shayla marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Norazeela
Norazeela marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Stacey Brooke
Stacey Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
  • House of Mirrors
  • Temporary Wife
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • Substitute Bride
  • Rake with a Frozen Heart
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)
  • To Love and Cherish
  • Lost to the Desert Warrior (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #3)
  • The Fiorenza Forced Marriage (Harlequin Presents #2807)
  • Love's Legacy
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2; Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • The Sheriff and the Innocent Housekeeper (Historical Western Novella)
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • Suami Pengganti (A Husband Of Inconvenience)
  • Gallant Waif
  • The Sister Swap
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...