Start by marking “A Kind of Magic” as Want to Read:
A Kind of Magic

A Kind of Magic

"The man I marry must dote on me..." Rosie already knew the sort of man she wanted to marry-and Fergus Cameron couldn't be further from that ideal! Arrogant and determined to always get his own way, he was much too sure of himself for Rosie's peace of mind.

Yet he had also made it clear that he, too, had decided on the girl he wanted to marry...but did his plans include
Published June 5th 2012 by Harlequin (first published July 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Kind of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kind of Magic

This was an okay read by Betty, but definitely not one of her cornerstones.

The heroine was sweet and impulsive. The hero a little brusque at times, but likable. Unlike her earlier work, you get to know his POV quite early on. A great travelogue of Scotland and that point alone made it worth reading.
Jan 28, 2016 Teri-k rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story of a young girl, (not a nurse lol), and a Dr. who meet in the Scottish Highlands. Rosie and Fergus are both quite likable, though they don't take to each other right off. I enjoyed watching their friendship develop into love. I also liked Rosie's crabby grandmother, who provides much of the tension in this story. but most of all I loved the descriptions of the Highlands - the mountains and hills, lochs and marshes, the rain and the night sky. This is the most setting-rich of Neels b ...more
Nancy Crayton
I've recently begun reading the books by Betty Neels. They do tend to follow a formula but what I enjoy is her gift for making each of her characters likeable. Most of the stories seem to involve a hospital setting with a nurse and a doctor/surgeon/visiting consultant. This story gets away from that. Okay, the hero, Sir Fergus Cameron turns out to be consultant/professor who travels a good bit. When he meets the heroine, he is filling in for the regular doctor when the heroine's grandmother hur ...more
Christy Olesen
Sep 15, 2013 Christy Olesen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Christy by: Favorite author
I've read this book more than once. It takes place in the West Highlands of Scotland, a place I've visited and would love to visit again. I love all Betty Neels' books. If you want to escape to a time before technology and social media took over our crazy society, when life was simpler, try one of her books. If you like a dishy, courteous, and wealthy hero, try one of her books. This book isn't a doctor/nurse story, but the majority of hers stories are. She was a nurse before she retired and sta ...more
Pamela Shropshire
Sep 28, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
A lovely book from TGB. Fergus (NOT the typical romantic hero name ) actually was fairly clear about his feelings for Rosie, going out of his way to see her whenever possible. Rosie is the weak spot, IMO, seeming a bit immature at times. However, the travelogue bits about Scotland are so wonderful (the cover of my version shows the Hogwarts Express viaduct - okay, the Glenfinnan Viaduct) and serves almost as a character in the story.
Lana Kamennof-sine
What can I say? Betty Neels wrote gentle, somewhat traditional love stories. The setting was interesting - highlands of Scotland. Although the characters were typical wealthy male & deserving female there was an attempt at inserting a greater spark of independence in the female character.

Still it was a sweet read & someday I hope to travel in that area :-)
Apr 22, 2013 Mina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick old fashioned love story....Fergus was a bit abrupt and came across as stuffy....Rosie was more likeable...her patience with granny was almost saintly...I would have lost mine a long time ago...the author painted a lovely picture of small scottish life...especially enjoyed when she wrote about food...could go for a nice high tea.
Janice Aitkens
Feb 27, 2016 Janice Aitkens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the Queen' song This one is a Kind of Magic it mostly set in the Highland of Scotland having been there made the story even nicer
Like Betty Neels Novel you know what will happen but getting from A to C the B route takes you around with lovely descriptions & story lines so you want to know how it happens
Patricia schmit
Aug 05, 2016 Patricia schmit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Betty Neels Story

Not really interesting or exciting, other than lovely descriptions of food, clothing and scenery. If you are a Neels fan, you'll enjoy.
Jun 13, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very charming. I didn't really feel the spark between the characters and certain things could have been concluded better but nevertheless it was a good read and left me with a smile on my face.
Sir Fergus Cameron was a gem of a character.
Aug 21, 2012 Susanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have read several of books by this author and they are great, easy, clean, reads. The same basic story line in all I have read so far but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying each one. Light and easy with HEA.
Mary Frances
Feb 21, 2016 Mary Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars because I loved it so much when I first read it, that I stayed up all night for an immediate re-read. This is my absolute favorite of all of the Betty Neels books that I've read.
Deborah Darsie
Oct 28, 2012 Deborah Darsie rated it really liked it
Classic Neels, slight twist on location (Scotland) and the nationality of the families involved and the level of independence of the female lead.
Helen Manning
Jan 02, 2015 Helen Manning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story about returning to your childhood home and finding love.
Aug 05, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book. Also a nice change having it set in Scotland rather than holland.
Apr 07, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this author and enjoy the simple and wholesome stories.
Dec 06, 2015 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved! Great setting. Adorable characters. Cute story!
Jul 10, 2013 Christie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betty Neels is always just what the doctor ordered.
Star Rating: ...more
Jun 01, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book!
Susan Vance
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nining marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
Sabine is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2016
Hopefulpuffin rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Morina Lanser
Morina Lanser rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Rahul Nerlekar
Rahul Nerlekar marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Alison rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
D W Morgan
D W Morgan rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • His Forbidden Passion (Modern Romance)
  • The Boss's Inexperienced Secretary
  • The Darkest of Secrets
  • Days of Dreams and Laughter: The Story Girl and Other Tales
  • The Sister of the Angels (Torminster, #2)
  • The Prince's Chambermaid (At His Service, #2)
  • Shoulder the Sky (Dering Family, #3)
  • Tales from a Village School
  • From Playboy to Papa! (Silhouette Desire, #1987) (Man of the Month)
  • Playing
  • The Italian Duke's Virgin Mistress (Harlequin Presents, #2933)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Blackmailed Mistress
  • Phoebe Deane (Miranda Trilogy #2)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels...