Start by marking “The Unexpected Husband: Jury of His Peers / Any Sunday” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Husband: Jury of His Peers / Any Sunday

The Unexpected Husband: Jury of His Peers / Any Sunday

Jury of His Peers

Caroline Lomax is on jury duty and, by sheer coincidence, so is Ted Thomasson. She'd known him when she was twelve and he was fifteen. Back then, she thought he was obnoxious—and she hasn't changed her mind. But other things have changed. Ted's become very attractive, for one. And he certainly knows how to kiss.

Now Ted wants Caroline to see him as more tha
Published May 29th 2012 by Mira (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Husband

Ren Thompson
My mom is a huge fan so I thought I would give it a try. The first story, a jury of his peers, started okay until the heroine, Caroline Lomax, started freaking out on Ted Thomasson, the hero. She was on a tear from the beginning and as I read on , she became more and more shrewish (if there is such a word) Who the hell wants to hook up with someone like that? Her reasons were beyond stupid (She was adopted. What does that have to do with anything? Ted was a calm and quiet guy. Since when has tha ...more
Trissa White
Jul 25, 2012 Trissa White rated it it was ok
Quick easy read and I did enjoy it, but... I waver between 2 and 3 stars because I couldn't relate to the super independent women who freaked out over a man who might want to help them or even open the door for them, as if somehow that meant he felt they were weak or incapable. Nor could I relate to the prideful bursts of rudeness or self protecting lies that they of course regretted as soon as they were said. Bla!
Bette
Mar 08, 2013 Bette rated it did not like it
In the past, I have enjoyed books written by Debbie MaComber, but this book was just sappy. Caroline meets up with Ted, a boy from her childhood. She hates him. She loves him. She sends mixed messages throughout the book. The book, in my opinion, is not written well and it is just, well, sappy. MaComber needs to go back to Blossom Street.
Then I went on to read Any Sunday, that is within the covers of The Unexpected Husband. Well, they deserved to be in the same cover. However, Any Sunday was a
Jeanne
Aug 17, 2012 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Not read much of Macomber. Hope this was early work. Two shorter stories that were entertaining except for the fact that I wanted to poke the protagonists in the eye. I don't know if it was an attempt to have more conflict or what, but the fickle nature of the women drove me nuts. Were they plucking petals from daisies? "He loves me!" "He loves me not." "He loves me!" "I hate him." A few words said at the wrong time and her world falls apart, particularly with "Jury of His Peers." On the upside, ...more
Nancy
Oct 14, 2013 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novel
Debbie Macomeber, at least writes clean romances. This appears to be an early novel. I listened to this on CD, and the first three CDs were the two main characters bickering with each other. It was annoying. I can't imagine these two people loving each other. I could not see anyone going after the two of them, because of the hung jury verdict. I wouldn't recommend this book.
Sharon Maerten-Moore
Nov 12, 2014 Sharon Maerten-Moore rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened-to
Hated the main characters in both these stories. So stupid you just want to reach into the book and smack them
Tonileg
Aug 30, 2012 Tonileg rated it it was ok
Two different stories in one book.
In each there is a man that wants his woman. I do like when the heroine is reluctant because it's healthy 'to make the man work a little' for love because it is all that more desirable when something is earned instead of just given like a gift.
Jury of his Peers. Caroline Lomax is too stubborn that I would almost call her stupid. I am glad that she eventually figures out that Ted is a catch, but to be so judge-y just because he is 'perfect' is too insane to reall
Noelle
Jul 29, 2014 Noelle rated it really liked it
Review for Any Sunday:

I give this book 4.5 stars. :)
I love how Debbie Macomber creates strong leading female characters. This story wasn't as exciting as Jury of his Peers (read them both in The Unexpected Husband), but it was more realistic for me. I love how strong and independent Majorie was. I fell in love with Sam, too. The only thing that put me off here is after the surgery, Sam suddenly visits Marjorie in her apartment. I found that creepy. It bored me midway, but I love how issues such
Annalisa
Aug 14, 2012 Annalisa rated it really liked it
If you are ever looking for a good light romance Debbie Macomber does not disappoint. Reading her books is much more entertaining than watching a sitcom on tv for me. I enjoyed both of these stories.

Amazon Book Description:
Jury of His Peers

Caroline Lomax is on jury duty and, by sheer coincidence, so is Ted Thomasson. She'd known him when she was twelve and he was fifteen. Back then, she thought he was obnoxious-and she hasn't changed her mind. But other things have changed. Ted's become very at
Joanna
Nov 29, 2014 Joanna rated it it was ok
Really and truly awful. However, it has earned itself an extra star by occasionally crossing the so-bad-it's-funny line.

Pros: Awesome lines like "She was upset because although people had disliked her before, no one had ever disliked her enough to try to kill her!" This book certainly delivered on corniness.

Cons: The plot was asinine. The characters were just asses. (Seriously, they would switch from fighting to being in love at least 3 times a minute, and since I was listening to this in the c
Donna
Nov 15, 2012 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I finished the first of two stories in this book. I am listening to it on cd. The first book is "Jury of his peers". It was so annoying that I couldn't wait to finish it. Caroline was so childish and mean to Ted, I can't believe he would want to spend any time with her let alone love her. The premise of the story was ok, but the journey to get to the end was torturous. I like Debbie, but this was not one of her better stories. Hopefully the second story is better.
I finished reading the second
Char (1RadReader59)
Jun 14, 2012 Char (1RadReader59) rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed both stories a lot. The first story was just the so typical of how young love can make a person act crazy & do off the wall things when you don't even know that's what your really feeling. Caroline is the all time character that brings that out in her past actions towards Ted. Yet Ted being totally & madly in love with Caroline at a young age took it all. So, watching them jockey their chance meeting now was fun.
The second story with Marjorie & Dr. Sam was interesting. Beca
Marcia  Haskell
Oct 14, 2012 Marcia Haskell rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Jury of His Peers

Now Ted wants Caroline to see him as more than a boy from her past. He wants her to see him as the man she'll marry.

Any Sunday

Until now, Marjorie Majors has made a point
Nicola
Jul 25, 2013 Nicola rated it it was ok
A quick read that was simply okay. I found it incredibly frustrating that both heroines were whiny and selfish. Caroline did not care that her reasons for disliking Tedious Ted stemmed from a very juvenile time in her life - and even then they had been unreasonable. However with her there was an underlying factor, however poor it was. Marjorie Majors on the other hand had absolutely no excuse for her childish behaviour and poor treatment of the hero. At least none that were divulged to the reade ...more
Melissa Jimenez
Jun 30, 2013 Melissa Jimenez rated it it was amazing
Debbie is one of my favorite authors! This book is such a light read which I enjoyed so much. This book has 2 stories in one:

A Jury of His Peers is about a lady, Caroline Lomax, who is selected for jury duty. However, she meets Tom Thomasson whose shes known since they where teens.

Any Sunday is about Marjorie Majors who had avoided doctors all her life until she has a weird pain on her side, turns out she has appendicitis. Her doctor, Dr. Sam, is with her throughout everything. They both end u
Kerry
May 21, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing
It's amazing how much we fight each other to keep our pride or self preservation intact. Yet, when we find love we fight even harder and that's when the humor begins. Crazy antics, outlandish accusations and taking little things way too personally. It's said that we, as men and women, take a grain of sand and make it into a mountain at times; I would have to agree. I couldn't help laughing hard as I read this book of romance. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to anyone who n ...more
April Suter
Jun 14, 2012 April Suter rated it really liked it
Two early books written by Debbie based in the Northwest.
Jury of His Peers: Caroline, a fiery redhead training to be a chef, finds herself on a jury with her childhood nemesis Ted. There is fire, hard for her to understand, between them. When they both vote not guilty and find themselves needing to be together for protection they must learn to get along.
Any Sunday: The tile makes sense on the last page of the book. Marjorie is a driven car salesperson and catches the beloved Dr. Sam's attention
Patricia Solla
Jul 05, 2012 Patricia Solla rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
In Jury of His Peers we find two people who sort of knew each other in high school and now find themselves on a jury together. Interestingly enough the don't agree on the verdict and what happens with the decision for the trial throws the two together in what seems to be a threat on their lives. In Any Sunday we meet a young woman who has an adversion to doctors and hospitals. As fate should have it she meets a doctor when she it taken to the hospital for an emergency situation. Interestingly sh ...more
Miccilina Piraino
Jan 28, 2013 Miccilina Piraino rated it liked it
Loved the male leads in both stories here, but found it really hard to even like the whiny, emotional train wrecks of the two female principals, C'mon, give women a little credit and do not write them as needy and always wanting reassurance from everyone in their lives to be validated. Stories overall were entertaining, so I am not panning the book entirely, just knowing it was older stories from the author I really like (usually, lol) was enough to keep me reading. The later work is much improv ...more
Marina
Dec 02, 2013 Marina rated it really liked it
Love this author's writing style. Love 2 in 1 reads. These were sweet and fun. They made me smile.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self;
"Jury of His Peers"-Seattle
Caroline Lomax(chef,culinary school)+Ted Thomasson(Theodore,export co.) & Stranger(his dog),Charles L.(computer co. president,dad)+Ruth L.(mom).

"Any Sunday"
Marjorie Majors(sis,car salesperson,pal)+Dr. Sam Bretton(gynecologist),Lydia Mason(title&
Gail
Jun 04, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
This book was very good. It has 2 stories in it. The first Jury of His Peers had Caroline and Ted. They grew up together but Caroline tormented him all the time and he was always in love with her but she never knew it. They end up on a jury together and a wonderful story comes together. The other story is Any Sunday with Marjorie and Sam. Marjorie never goes to doctors and i shaving sharp pains. Her best friend sends her to her doctor which they end up having feelings for each other but have a l ...more
Heather
Jun 02, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
The two stories in the book were pretty predictable, but good. I could relate to the two female characters which made it more intriguing to read. Also opened my eyes up to how much I need to work on my nursing it in anger. Never realized how much it can effect someone. I would definitely read these again I'm the future.
Kathryn Moore
Aug 05, 2012 Kathryn Moore rated it it was ok
Well, I don't like the typical romance books and this was all that. There was a side story that was somewhat good, so I did a fast-forward through the nonsense and just read the mystery. It was actually 2 short stories in one and I just read the first one assuming the second story would just be more of the same.
Stephany G
Dec 01, 2012 Stephany G rated it it was ok
This is my mother's favorite author so I'm reading her hand me down books. This book was just ok to me. Maybe a 2.5. This author should really write for Lifetime Movies. I find this type of romance novel cheesy, not my cup of tea. It does include two stories, but I found the relationships to be a little too similar.
Suzanne
Mar 29, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
As always, Debbie Macomber has you involved in the lives of her characters right from the start. So much so, that, when the story is over I want to know more, I need to know more. These are two stories that were written early in Debbie's career and brought up to date and republished together. It was a nice escape for a few days of commuting.
Ih8JaneAusten
Jun 14, 2012 Ih8JaneAusten rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Both stories in this book were from the late eighties and made me a bit nostalgic for more romance novels that are more than twenty plus years old. Some minor edits were made to make the stories more current with today's culture and technology but the feel of the stories showed their real age, in a good way.
Heidi
Jun 01, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed both of the stories in this book. I did find a couple of errors. In The Unexpected Husband the premise on the back of the book said that Caroline was 12 when she played all those cruel jokes on Ted. In the actual book she was 14. Both of them I believe are due to the publishing company, and not Debbie Macomber.
Michele
Sep 30, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
Two short stories by Debbie Macomber, which were simple & enjoyable love stories --- nothing more and nothing less. If you want a smile on your face, if you like happy ending and if you do not want to be assaulted with profanity or explicit sex, this book is for you.
Angela9600
Mar 31, 2016 Angela9600 rated it it was ok
I love Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series but even if I had not had the tip off in the beginning that these two tales were from early in her writing days, I would have known as I was not pulled into the stories as much. They were ok but neither of them were "must reads" for me.
Kristen
Jan 03, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, debbie-s-books
Both of these books were excellent easy reads. I love a good Debbie Macomber book. I may have read Any Sunday as a Stand alone but it was great to read it again, as I couldn't remember if I read it or not.
  • Tea and Destiny: Tea and Destiny\Light the Stars
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Perfect Harmony: Unfinished Business / Local Hero
  • Making Spirits Bright
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Informed Risk / A Hero for Sophie Jones
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...