The Devil and Miss Jones

The Devil and Miss Jones

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Martha Jones has never taken a risk in her whole life. Until the day she runs out on her wedding and succumbs to the magnetism of a man she has only just met! A man she knows only as Diablo.Lone wolf Carlos Ortega won't promise Miss Jones more than one searing-hot night. Yet Carlos is shocked by Martha's sweet innocence. This runaway bride is a virgin, and it seems the rep...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil and Miss Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil and Miss Jones

RLA
The hero Carlos and the heroine Martha are both running away something - Martha from her wedding after discovering her fiancé cheating, and Carlos from the shock and hurt of finding out the truth of his parentage. They meet when Carlos finds Martha out walking in the rain, still in all her wedding finery, and stops to help her. There is an immediate spark between them, which neither of them truly understands, but each needing comfort they succumb to the desire between them. However, afterwards C...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Another story with such an OTT plot that can only be believed in the stories published by Mills and Boon…..but of course it works and one of the reasons for it is that it is written by the most incredible writer, Kate Walker, whose books I devour.
The Devil and Miss Jones begins with a really funny scene…picture this….a bride, fully dressed for the ceremony, discovers her groom in bed with the bridesmaid..doing and saying really BAD things…and this just an hour before everything is suppose to hap...more
Desere

Reviewed by Desere :

Imagine driving around trying to escape a life of demons and suddenly out pops a bride in full wedding attire! Whoa right ! That is the opening scene of the brilliant read from Kate Walker. And you know when a book has such a awesome opening scene your definitely in for a fantastic book all the way.

And what a book this was indeed. The author took me on a journey of love,self discovery,passion and romance. I loved how the author created such a almost magical world for the char...more
Jenny
As always with this author the book contains too much inner dialogue, metaphors etc and not enough real dialogue. Also the heroine never tells the hero she loves him. What kind of romance is this?
Clint Griffon
This was a very enjoyable story. Not the most believable, but then even the most believable are not all that believable, so why sacrifice intensity? From the deserted, rain-soaked Northern country road where a bedraggled bride cries for a lift away from her failed life, to the glorious Argentinian horse ranch where the rejected hero has to choose what he really values in life, this novel brings a vividness of experience which outweighs the improbably contrived plot. Martha and Carlos feel for ea...more
Julie Bonello
Kate Walker continues to affirm her standing as one of category romance’s most talented stars with her sixtieth novel for Harlequin Presents: The Devil and Miss Jones.

Martha Jones has spent months planning her dream wedding. Having spared no expense to make all of her dreams a reality, Martha had been looking forward to walking down the aisle towards her Prince Charming and spending the rest of her life living happily ever after. However, Martha’s hopes and dreams were dashed by devastating lie...more
Fiona Marsden
May 13, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who believe in the redemptive power of love.
Recommended to Fiona by: Author Preference
Take one virginal bride and one dark mysterious leather clad stranger at a cross roads in both their lives and you have magic. This is a good old fashioned romance of the nicest kind. Perhaps a little lightweight but with an endearing heroine and a suitably gorgeous hero it works rather well.
Martha Jones comes across as basically a very nice girl who has devoted her recent years to nursing her dying mother. Fate rewards her with a lottery win but unfortunately it also brings vultures, at least...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Any woman would be tempted by a Diablo on a motorcycle ready to take her away from her sad past and into an exciting new future. Miss Jones is no exception; she was ready to go with anyone willing to get her away from the drama that was her life so far. Luckily for her, Diablo is was the first passerby willing to take a chance on the runaway bride.

Carlos Ortega (Diablo) was the Latin flair that Miss Marta Jones needed. Diablo was a ch...more
Deirdre
Oh Kate, when Diego was driving his motorbike in the first few paragraphs I had hope for the book, but honestly, that hope started to diminsh quite rapidly and my suspension of disbelief started to corrode quite quickly afterwards.
Yes, I should have guessed from the "powerful motorbike" without any qualifications, but let me give you a few pointers.

Paniers and top boxes on motorbikes are essential to carry anything, unless you're carrying stuff in a backpack, now seeing as she was able to snuggl...more
Tia
Martha meets Carlos on the side of the road, in her wedding dress. He stops his motorcycle and after some adjustments they make their way to a hotel. Where she tells him, she was going to marry Gavin but he was screwing her maid of honor, so she ran out.

Carlos is infatuated with Martha instantly and when they are in the hotel he makes love with her and then walks out. Four months later, Carlos lands on his grandfathers land via helicopter and finds Martha there.

Background info?

Carlos isn't actu...more
Tonya Warner
I don't know, but I seem to have missed much in this story.

Miss Martha Jones runs out on her cheating bridegroom moments before her wedding and runs off with Carlos 'Diablo' Ortega. Her one night stand ends with him walking out with the statement virgins are clingy and leaves her alone, and pregnant.

Of course, she had snooped and found out who he really was so was able to contact his grandfather, who tracked him down and brought him home. Martha tells Carlos she is pregnant, he wants to marry,...more
Lia
If I had to use one word to describe this story, it would be: bland. The pacing is extremely slow in the beginning, but in the end all is resolved with lightning speed. It just doesn't work.
Both Martha and Carlos remain cardboard characters. It definitely would have helped, had I been able to read from Carlos' POV as well, but the moments spend in his head were kept at a minimum.

Kate Walker is a competetent writer, but as far as this book is concerned, IMHO she just had a bad day at the office.
Janet
Okay, five down, one last entry to go. I’m so glad to be almost finished with this year. I think I’m pretty well romanced out for a while. This has been a nice vacation from my usual reading diet, but I find myself craving a nice bloody murder.
Daisyjess
A fun, feel-good read.
I would have liked to see more of the relationship between Martha, Carlos and grandfather Ortega - that had the potential to be really interesting if it had been developed further.
Marina Andreou
I love so much the beggining and the whole storie it was like a movie.The heroine i like so much because it was always what happends so strong and in the end the hero feld in love with her.Great book :)
Alison
A book of two parts for me - really enjoyed the beginning the runaway bride and mysterious biker - but the second half went beyond even my suspension of disbelief levels.

LoveRomance
Not worth $3.50. Liked the premise enough to buy the ebook, but the story didn't deliver. Too much inner dialogue, and not enough actual dialogue.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Return of the Rebels
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Return of the Rebels
Jennifer Mcpherson
started out boring but could read...
Milena Djaletic
Milena Djaletic marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Abhishek
Abhishek marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I was born in Nottinghamshire, England, but I didn't live there for very long. The family moved to West Yorkshire when I was just eighteen months old and so I have always regarded Yorkshire as my home. I grew up there as the middle child in a family of five—all girls—in a home where books were vitally important and I read anything I could get my hands on.

Even before I could write I was making up s...more
More about Kate Walker...
The Proud Wife The Greek Tycoon's Unwilling Wife Cordero's Forced Bride Kept for Her Baby Bedded By The Greek Billionaire