Start by marking “The Devil and Miss Jones” as Want to Read:
The Devil and Miss Jones

The Devil and Miss Jones

Martha Jones has never taken a risk in her whole life. Until the day she runs out on her wedding and succumbs to the magnetism of a man she has only just met! A man she knows only as Diablo.Lone wolf Carlos Ortega won't promise Miss Jones more than one searing-hot night. Yet Carlos is shocked by Martha's sweet innocence. This runaway bride is a virgin, and it seems the rep ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil and Miss Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil and Miss Jones

RLA
Feb 16, 2012 RLA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hero Carlos and the heroine Martha are both running away something - Martha from her wedding after discovering her fiancé cheating, and Carlos from the shock and hurt of finding out the truth of his parentage. They meet when Carlos finds Martha out walking in the rain, still in all her wedding finery, and stops to help her. There is an immediate spark between them, which neither of them truly understands, but each needing comfort they succumb to the desire between them. However, afterwards C ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Another story with such an OTT plot that can only be believed in the stories published by Mills and Boon…..but of course it works and one of the reasons for it is that it is written by the most incredible writer, Kate Walker, whose books I devour.
The Devil and Miss Jones begins with a really funny scene…picture this….a bride, fully dressed for the ceremony, discovers her groom in bed with the bridesmaid..doing and saying really BAD things…and this just an hour before everything is suppose to hap
Desere
May 29, 2012 Desere rated it it was amazing

Reviewed by Desere :

Imagine driving around trying to escape a life of demons and suddenly out pops a bride in full wedding attire! Whoa right ! That is the opening scene of the brilliant read from Kate Walker. And you know when a book has such a awesome opening scene your definitely in for a fantastic book all the way.

And what a book this was indeed. The author took me on a journey of love,self discovery,passion and romance. I loved how the author created such a almost magical world for the char
Jenny
May 02, 2013 Jenny rated it did not like it
As always with this author the book contains too much inner dialogue, metaphors etc and not enough real dialogue. Also the heroine never tells the hero she loves him. What kind of romance is this?
Deirdre
Jun 25, 2012 Deirdre rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Oh Kate, when Diego was driving his motorbike in the first few paragraphs I had hope for the book, but honestly, that hope started to diminsh quite rapidly and my suspension of disbelief started to corrode quite quickly afterwards.
Yes, I should have guessed from the "powerful motorbike" without any qualifications, but let me give you a few pointers.

Paniers and top boxes on motorbikes are essential to carry anything, unless you're carrying stuff in a backpack, now seeing as she was able to snuggl
Julie
May 18, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Kate Walker continues to affirm her standing as one of category romance’s most talented stars with her sixtieth novel for Harlequin Presents: The Devil and Miss Jones.

Martha Jones has spent months planning her dream wedding. Having spared no expense to make all of her dreams a reality, Martha had been looking forward to walking down the aisle towards her Prince Charming and spending the rest of her life living happily ever after. However, Martha’s hopes and dreams were dashed by devastating lie
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Any woman would be tempted by a Diablo on a motorcycle ready to take her away from her sad past and into an exciting new future. Miss Jones is no exception; she was ready to go with anyone willing to get her away from the drama that was her life so far. Luckily for her, Diablo is was the first passerby willing to take a chance on the runaway bride.

Carlos Ortega (Diablo) was the Latin flair that Miss Marta Jones needed. Diablo was a ch
Fiona Marsden
May 13, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who believe in the redemptive power of love.
Recommended to Fiona by: Author Preference
Take one virginal bride and one dark mysterious leather clad stranger at a cross roads in both their lives and you have magic. This is a good old fashioned romance of the nicest kind. Perhaps a little lightweight but with an endearing heroine and a suitably gorgeous hero it works rather well.
Martha Jones comes across as basically a very nice girl who has devoted her recent years to nursing her dying mother. Fate rewards her with a lottery win but unfortunately it also brings vultures, at least
Tia
Feb 21, 2012 Tia rated it really liked it
Martha meets Carlos on the side of the road, in her wedding dress. He stops his motorcycle and after some adjustments they make their way to a hotel. Where she tells him, she was going to marry Gavin but he was screwing her maid of honor, so she ran out.

Carlos is infatuated with Martha instantly and when they are in the hotel he makes love with her and then walks out. Four months later, Carlos lands on his grandfathers land via helicopter and finds Martha there.

Background info?

Carlos isn't actu
Tonya Warner
Apr 10, 2012 Tonya Warner rated it liked it
I don't know, but I seem to have missed much in this story.

Miss Martha Jones runs out on her cheating bridegroom moments before her wedding and runs off with Carlos 'Diablo' Ortega. Her one night stand ends with him walking out with the statement virgins are clingy and leaves her alone, and pregnant.

Of course, she had snooped and found out who he really was so was able to contact his grandfather, who tracked him down and brought him home. Martha tells Carlos she is pregnant, he wants to marry,
Clint Griffon
Jul 03, 2014 Clint Griffon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable story. Not the most believable, but then even the most believable are not all that believable, so why sacrifice intensity? From the deserted, rain-soaked Northern country road where a bedraggled bride cries for a lift away from her failed life, to the glorious Argentinian horse ranch where the rejected hero has to choose what he really values in life, this novel brings a vividness of experience which outweighs the improbably contrived plot. Martha and Carlos feel for ea ...more
Lia
Feb 28, 2013 Lia rated it it was ok
Shelves: category, presents
If I had to use one word to describe this story, it would be: bland. The pacing is extremely slow in the beginning, but in the end all is resolved with lightning speed. It just doesn't work.
Both Martha and Carlos remain cardboard characters. It definitely would have helped, had I been able to read from Carlos' POV as well, but the moments spend in his head were kept at a minimum.

Kate Walker is a competetent writer, but as far as this book is concerned, IMHO she just had a bad day at the office.
Jessica
Apr 15, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
A fun, feel-good read.
I would have liked to see more of the relationship between Martha, Carlos and grandfather Ortega - that had the potential to be really interesting if it had been developed further.
Pam
Jan 23, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it
I thought the story was cute. Yes a bit unbelievable but that is fantasy with romance. It could have been a five but the jump to heroine being at his grandfather was too big of leap. So she seemed stalkerish to me
Janet Windeguth
Mar 22, 2013 Janet Windeguth rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Okay, five down, one last entry to go. I’m so glad to be almost finished with this year. I think I’m pretty well romanced out for a while. This has been a nice vacation from my usual reading diet, but I find myself craving a nice bloody murder.
Jennifer Mcpherson
Jan 07, 2013 Jennifer Mcpherson rated it liked it
started out boring but could read...
Alison
May 01, 2013 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of two parts for me - really enjoyed the beginning the runaway bride and mysterious biker - but the second half went beyond even my suspension of disbelief levels.

LoveRomance
Apr 14, 2012 LoveRomance rated it it was ok
Shelves: harlequin
Not worth $3.50. Liked the premise enough to buy the ebook, but the story didn't deliver. Too much inner dialogue, and not enough actual dialogue.
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Cindy Somers
Cindy Somers rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Tizah
Tizah rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Verónica Silva
Verónica Silva rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Dorothy J. Stinnett
Dorothy J. Stinnett rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Maleka
Maleka rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Emily Stone
Emily Stone rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Shanelle
Shanelle rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Mtld
Mtld rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Beng Alano Servidad
Beng Alano Servidad rated it did not like it
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I was born in Nottinghamshire, England, but I didn't live there for very long. The family moved to West Yorkshire when I was just eighteen months old and so I have always regarded Yorkshire as my home. I grew up there as the middle child in a family of five—all girls—in a home where books were vitally important and I read anything I could get my hands on.

Even before I could write I was making up s
More about Kate Walker...