Start by marking “The Beauty Aisle Insider: Top Cosmetic Scientists Answer Your Questions about the Lotions, Potions and Other Beauty Products You Use Every Day” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Why does my shampoo stop working? Are my cosmetics poisoning me? What does hypoallergenic mean? Are organic products better?

Every day thousands of people turn to the scientists at the popular blog thebeautybrains.com for answers to their most pressing beauty questions. In The Beauty Aisle Insider you'll discover that:

– Salon products are not necessarily better than product
Published March 20th 2012 by Harlequin (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty Aisle Insider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty Aisle Insider

Zoe
Dec 03, 2013 Zoe rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim at the library last night and figured I might read a few pages, but I actually ended up reading it cover-to-cover. It’s a quick, snappy little book with dozens of questions about cosmetics (skin, hair, nail, fragrance, and more) and their ingredients, with plenty of science and reasonable advice sprinkled in. As someone who splurges on Lush soap but uses Suave shampoo, it was comforting to read that it’s okay to buy affordable products—and it’s okay to spend the extra ...more
Mary Jane Gearhart
Jul 17, 2012 Mary Jane Gearhart rated it liked it
This book had some pretty decent information that I personally found useful. I thought it was interesting in some respects and I picked up about 10 useful pointers.
Lynn
Mar 19, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
I like how this book goes against popular notions and eschews benefits of parabens and sulphates. They say that P&G is the best funded cosmetic/soap company so it's product, Pantene gives u the most bang for your buck. Although a nagging concern that beautybrains was perhaps bribed by rich companies, I have to agree Pantene is close to the best I have used. I only use salon products now because current literature has put the fear of sulphates and parabens in me. I walk down toiletry aisles, ...more
Kelly
Aug 21, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
Some parts were interesting, but the format of the book made the whole experience a bit disappointing. Staged as a series of "question" and their responses, the authors promise to teach the reader how to save money in the beauty department and debunk which products work and which ones don't. A lot of information is just tossed around haphazardly and sometimes without clear explanation. The questions aren't really the most common questions to ask, which leaves me wondering if they purposely selec ...more
Ana
Aug 31, 2014 Ana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, shelves-at-home
For an avid reader of The Beauty Brains, it does not come as a surprise to see that the book is strutured in the same way the blog is. The thing is: even if the questions are too specific, they tend to explain the beauty basics that you would consider to be the most important thing to write about.

I love that they use references of scientific studies and even have a portion of the book intended for those who wish to know more about a few subjects.

I definitelly will be buying the next volume.
Carena
Aug 14, 2013 Carena rated it really liked it
This book is pretty interesting and very easy to breeze by. But I think it could've been formatted better. The whole q&a format is a little annoying for me.
Jill
Jun 06, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: library-e-book
Quick easy read. It is exactly what it says it is. I am hoping to make wiser impulse buys at CVS now.
Annie
Loved it! Would highly recommend to anybody interested in skepticism, beauty products, and chemistry.
ah li
Apr 05, 2013 ah li rated it really liked it
informative, easy to read and using layman terms whenever possible helps. very enjoyable non-fiction read.
Relyn
Dec 30, 2012 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at my library website
Some interesting tips, but really a skimmer book.
Harlequin Books
Category: Fashion and Style
Jen
May 14, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Good info
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Nicole D'andrea
Nicole D'andrea rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2016
Shannon Taylor
Shannon Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Debbie Jones
Debbie Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Katie Siepierski
Katie Siepierski rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Kathy Draxler
Kathy Draxler marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Taj
Taj rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Zaida Thillet
Zaida Thillet marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Vivianne Loi
Vivianne Loi marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Asrianna Dameron
Asrianna Dameron rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Val
Val rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Rebecca Wood
Rebecca Wood rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Chris  Glass
Chris Glass rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014