The Beauty Aisle Insider: Top Cosmetic Scientists Answer Your Questions about the Lotions, Potions and Other Beauty Products You Use Every Day

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Why does my shampoo stop working? Are my cosmetics poisoning me? What does hypoallergenic mean? Are organic products better?

Every day thousands of people turn to the scientists at the popular blog thebeautybrains.com for answers to their most pressing beauty questions. In The Beauty Aisle Insider you'll discover that:

– Salon products are not necessarily better than product...more
Published March 20th 2012 by Harlequin (first published April 1st 2011)

Zoe
I picked this up on a whim at the library last night and figured I might read a few pages, but I actually ended up reading it cover-to-cover. It’s a quick, snappy little book with dozens of questions about cosmetics (skin, hair, nail, fragrance, and more) and their ingredients, with plenty of science and reasonable advice sprinkled in. As someone who splurges on Lush soap but uses Suave shampoo, it was comforting to read that it’s okay to buy affordable products—and it’s okay to spend the extra...more
Mary Jane Gearhart
This book had some pretty decent information that I personally found useful. I thought it was interesting in some respects and I picked up about 10 useful pointers.
Lynn
I like how this book goes against popular notions and eschews benefits of parabens and sulphates. They say that P&G is the best funded cosmetic/soap company so it's product, Pantene gives u the most bang for your buck. Although a nagging concern that beautybrains was perhaps bribed by rich companies, I have to agree Pantene is close to the best I have used. I only use salon products now because current literature has put the fear of sulphates and parabens in me. I walk down toiletry aisles,...more
Kelly
Some parts were interesting, but the format of the book made the whole experience a bit disappointing. Staged as a series of "question" and their responses, the authors promise to teach the reader how to save money in the beauty department and debunk which products work and which ones don't. A lot of information is just tossed around haphazardly and sometimes without clear explanation. The questions aren't really the most common questions to ask, which leaves me wondering if they purposely selec...more
Ana
Feb 13, 2013 Ana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
For an avid reader of The Beauty Brains, it does not come as a surprise to see that the book is strutured in the same way the blog is. The thing is: even if the questions are too specific, they tend to explain the beauty basics that you would consider to be the most important thing to write about.

I love that they use references of scientific studies and even have a portion of the book intended for those who wish to know more about a few subjects.

I definitelly will be buying the next volume.
Carena
This book is pretty interesting and very easy to breeze by. But I think it could've been formatted better. The whole q&a format is a little annoying for me.
Jill
Quick easy read. It is exactly what it says it is. I am hoping to make wiser impulse buys at CVS now.
Annie
Loved it! Would highly recommend to anybody interested in skepticism, beauty products, and chemistry.
Huey
informative, easy to read and using layman terms whenever possible helps. very enjoyable non-fiction read.
Relyn
Dec 30, 2012 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at my library website
Some interesting tips, but really a skimmer book.
Harlequin Books
Category: Fashion and Style
Jen
Good info
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Davionne
Davionne marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Courtney Macfarlane
Courtney Macfarlane marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Roxie D
Roxie D marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Rachael L "Wry" Moore
Rachael L "Wry" Moore marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Katana Dufour
Katana Dufour marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Joanna
Joanna added it
Jan 16, 2014
Can You Get Hooked on Lip Balm?: Top Cosmetic Scientists Answer Your Questions about the Lotions, Potions and Other Beauty Products You Use Every Day It's OK to have Lead in Your Lipstick Can You Get Hooked On Lip Balm? Hair Care Formulation for All Hair Types Can You Get Hooked on Lip Balm?