Thread of Death (Elemental Assassin #5.5)

Thread of Death (Elemental Assassin #5.5)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,342 ratings  ·  139 reviews
Gin Blanco, aka the assassin the Spider, might have finally killed her nemesis, Mab Monroe, but that doesn't mean that it's smooth sailing. Gin goes to Mab's funeral to say her goodbyes and runs into some of Ashland's most notorious underworld power players, including Jonah McAllister and Phillip Kincaid. McAllister wants her dead, and Kincaid has his own murky motives whe...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 100 pages
Published January 31st 2012 by Pocket Books

Can't Wait Books of 2012
398th out of 2,496 books — 15,914 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInsurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareGone Girl by Gillian FlynnPandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books of 2012
298th out of 2,960 books — 9,201 voters

More lists with this book...

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
Great story about some interesting things happening at Mab's funeral. We knew Jonah would stir things up and while I knew Phillip would become more involved one day...I was shocked to hear some intriguing tidbits from his past. It was really great having all the different POVs. Can't wait to find out more!
Erika  Badass

This was an interesting novella. It sets up the next few books nicely. You’d think Gin could catch a break and say good-bye to Mab in peace, but…nah. Where would the fun be in that. Thread of Death featured three points of view. Gin, Jonah and Philip. So cool to see the Crime Boss and the Lawyer’s thoughts.Of course, Gin reveals herself to Ashland as the spider. It’s one thing for the rumors to make the circuit. Quite another to confirm them.

Time will show how that nugget of information changes...more
Sophia (FV)
Review originally posted at Fiction Vixen.

Thread of Death is a novella that takes place shortly after Spider's Revenge . Now that Gin has had her revenge on Mab Monroe, and she's almost recovered physically from the fight that nearly took her life, it's time to for some emotional closure as well. Gin attends the funeral of hernemesisand finds herself among some serious heavy hitters in Ashland's criminal underworld. Some may be there to say their goodbye's to one of the most powerful elementals...more
VampireNovelFan
Short and sweet Elemental Assassin story

This short story takes us through the aftermath and arc conclusion of Jennifer Estep’s 5th book, Spider’s Revenge. On the outside, Gin looks as healthy as ever, but she’s still healing internally from her huge showdown with Mab. Gin wants to drop by the old girl’s funeral to say her goodbyes (as weird as that may seem), but with her secret out she’s got an even bigger target on her back with all of Ashland’s underworld wanting a piece.

The this short was p...more
Amy

This little nugget or novella closes out the Mab Monroe arc storyline and sets up a lot of questions for the reader as to what will happen next. I really enjoyed that Estep used different POVs and we were able to get into the head of a few characters as opposed to just Gin. I want to know who the mystery woman was at the graveside. I have a feeling I'm not going to like her.
Karla
Another terrific, exciting short in this kick-ass series! Everyone's back to attend Mab's funeral when violence erupts and once again Gin is the target. Have no fear, because for my favorite heroine it's like a walk in the park, or in this case the cemetery, when she delivers her own special brand of vengeance and there is no escaping her...looks like Mab's got some friends joining her...HA! You don't mess around with Jim Gin!!

My blood is pumping and I'm ready to read By a Thread!
Paranormal Haven
3.5 Stars

Weeks after the big showdown that ended with the death of crime lord Mab Monroe, Gin Blanco is finally healed and on her way to Mab's funeral to say goodbye to her enemy. The who's who of Ashland's underworld is in attendance and rumors that Gin is the assassin known as the Spider are swirling around. When someone opens fire on the crowd, Gin races to stop him before she becomes Ashland's next causality.

Thread of Death takes place after Spider's Revenge. In it, Gin comes to terms with...more
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Well, I can tell you this about Thread of Death, the little novella written by Jennifer Estep that takes place right after the event of Spider’s Revenge, the fifth book in her Elemental Assassin series. There is a lot of action packed into this short little story.

Gin is one amazing character. One of my favorite things about Gin is how she is not afraid of letting her softer, more vulnerable side be seen. Okay, that’s not exactly true. She would never sho...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: 3.5 stars: Liked it a lot - recommend(B+)

I have been hearing great things about Ms. Estep’s Elemental Assassin series for a while now. I’ve wanted to read it, but by the time I got around to it, the series was already four books in, and I just didn’t have the time to commit to reading four to five books. (Lame excuse, I know!). Anyhow, I’d been chatting with the wonderful Ms. Estep and asked her when would be a good time to “jump in” to her series. She suggested this novella, and I’m...more
Nayan
I strongly believe that the Elemental Assassin series should have ended at 5 novels after the death of Mab Monroe. I still decided to check out this novella where Gin decided to pay her last "respects" to her archenemy purely due to my curiosity about how J Estep decides to infuse life in a series which is now missing one main character.

This novella did nothing to dispel my notion that the series should have ended with the last book. Nonetheless, I would be wrong in stating that reading it was n...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jan 31, 2012 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: UF or Elemental Assassin fans
A barely healed Gin attends Mab's funeral to say her peace. It won't be easy. There's a
power vacuum in Ashland. There's also an old bitter enemy remaining. Crime lords and townspeople eye Gin warily and speculate. Then all hell breaks lose. Mab may be dead but Gin still has to fight to survive.

This novella teases us with tiny revelations. The hint of an enemy coming to town is disclosed. (This may occur in Widow' Web as we learn Owen's backstory.) There' also the added treat of three characters...more
Lola
This is a nice short story that takes place some time after book 5. It is about Mab's furneral. I enjoyed reading it and getting back into the elemental assasin world, but really it is just a short story. A small peek at what is to come. I can't wait to read the next book.
Bamafever
I really like this series and all of the repetition usually doesn't bother me as it does others but I must say in a short story like this I think it was to much.
Khristine Stain
3.5 stars...

Hardly any previous-book-regurgitation at all! I might even read on to find out what's going on with Macalister & Phillip Kincaid.
mrsj
I loved this.
Short and sweet. Less recaps. :P

I can't wait to read the next book.
Hopefully no trouble in paradise for Owen and Gin.
Llwells
grreat setup for after spider's revenge with a sneak peek of gin's next adventure but still too much of going over
previous books
Belinda
Gin at her best. At Mab's funeral, Gin encounters an assassin (of course!) after her. But who set up the hit?

Satarupa
Awesome Novella!!! If you guys have read any of my reviews then you know that I hate novellas but the author made me love this book as much as the other novels. We got a glimpse of Gin's last meeting with her arch nemesis, well if meeting anyone at their funeral while they are resting in a coffin is considered as a meeting then it counts and I loved the emotions that are there in Gin's heart for Mab. Even if she hates her but there is a sliver of respect in her black heart for her and admiration...more
Marsha
Aug 19, 2012 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult lovers of Paranormal Mysteries
Recommended to Marsha by: Major Fan of Jennifer Estep
After "Spider's Revenge" I truly wondered where would this series go. Mab Monroe was such an awesome protagonist that I could not imagine any other story lines that would be worthy of this series. Boy, was I wrong!

"Thread of Death" provides great insight as to what we can expect in "By A Thread." Gin and all of her friends and family attend the funeral of the ultimate nemesis, Mab Monroe. Of course that is a little ironic since Gin is the reason Mab is going to her final resting place. Nothing...more
Maria
Give me a novella from the Elemental Assassin series everyday and I will read it gladly! I love this series by Jennifer Estep and I loved “Thread of Death” also. The story takes place shortly after Mab Monroe’s death and, specifically, the day of her funeral. It’s very interesting that the author writes this story from the point of view of three different characters and in that way we learn a lot of information.

Now it’s known that Gin is the Spider and everybody wants to either to deal with her...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Set at her funeral, we say goodbye to Mab Monroe, Ashland Underworld’s Top Dog and Gin Blanco’s lifelong nemesis.

Opening Sentence: I couldn’t believe the bitch was dead.

The Review:

“Thread of Death” by Jennifer Estep is a novella set in between Spider’s Revenge and By a Thread, and covers the funeral of Mab Monroe, Ashland’s former underworld kingpin and nemesis to Gin Blanco. This is a taste of what life after Mab will be like. While it does...more
E.
Thread of Death” is a novella by Jennifer Estep set just after the end of “Spider’s Revenge”, detailing the events that unfold after the climactic battle between the assassin known as the ‘Spider’ and the evil Elemental Mab. There are plenty of spoilers if one has not read the previous books in the series but this gives a glimpse of the life that Gin Blanco lives. She has fought long and hard to hone her skills as an assassin but she has tried to keep a relatively low profile. Events conspire ag...more
Nath
Ferdy
Gin is still recovering from her fight with Mab with the help of her friends and family. There are rumours flying around that Gin is the Spider but that in no way stops Gin from attending Mab's funeral and getting the closure she needs. All of Ashlands underground players are in attendance not to say their goodbyes to Mab but to size each other up, to see if there is any truth in the rumours that Gin is the Spider and most importantly fight for Mab's position as Ashlands number 1 crime boss.
Jon...more
Dianne
4.5 Stars

As we read in the last full length novel [[ASIN:1439192642 Spider's Revenge (Elemental Assassin Books)]]the Spider (Gin Blanco) has finally taken out her nemesis, the powerful Fire Elemental Mab Monroe.
And as this novella begins we are put in the middle of Mab's funeral. Every crime boss in Ashland is there to either pay their respects or to gloat. And leave it to Mab, even while dead, to have a spectacular grande finale, with bullets flying and shovels being used as clubs.

This was an...more
Julie
The entire story is not very long and takes place almost entirely at Mab's funeral. The funeral has apparently been delayed a few weeks until her identity could be confirmed. In the intervening weeks, Gin has been recuperating and is trying to get back to her former fit and bad-a$$ self. She attends the funeral with her still current squeeze Owen Grayson. Most of the city's underworld also attend the funeral to scope out the competition. Some of that competition stirs up trouble, trouble that Gi...more
Netha
kematian mab monroe menimbulkan tanda tanya apa yg akan terjadi di ashland, apalagi sekarang mayoritas orang2 tau siapa spider itu.

gin, setelah pertempurannya dengan mab merasa kelegaan tapi juga tegang & kosong.
gin ingin menghadiri pemakaman mab, dia ingin memastikan mab benar2 terkubur & tidak akan mengancam orang2 yg gin cintai lagi.
orang2 terdekat gin mengerti keinginan hati gin tapi mereka tidak akan membiarkan gin menghadapi mimpi buruknya sendirian.
maka gin beserta owen, fin, bria...more
Alexia561
This story takes place shortly after Spider's Revenge, as Gin is recovering from her last big battle with her arch nemesis. While she's still not 100%, she knows that she has to make an appearance at Mab's funeral both for her own peace of mind and to show the rest of the city that she's still standing.

Mab being Mab and Gin being Gin, it should come as no surprise that the funeral doesn't run smoothly. With Mab gone, there is a power vacuum in Ashland. It's one thing to size up the competition,...more
Sandy
THREAD OF DEATH by Jennifer Estep

THREAD OF DEATH is an urban fantasy novella written by Jennifer Estep. Book 5.5 in Jennifer’s Elemental Assassin series, Thread of Death follows the heroine, Gin Blanco (aka the Spider) at the funeral of one of the Underworld’s most vial and frightening mob boss- Mab Monroe. But a little background information at this point may be useful to anyone who has not read the Elemental Assassin series.

Gin Blanco Is an assassin for hire in the corrupt town known as Ashla...more
Colette
Also posted on my blog: A Buckeye Girl Reads

The Thread of Death totally rocked. It has lots of action, a touch of mystery, lines that make you sigh and a ll of my favorite secondary characters made an appearance, and I have to say Finn totally steals whatever scene he is in. I love that guy! I also enjoyed seeing some of the lesser characters that haven't had much of an impact on the series until now have a larger role in the story.

All I can say is that only Gin could make a funeral a place of a...more
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales, #0.5)
  • Deep Dark Secret (Secret McQueen, #3)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files #2)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • The House at Cobb End
  • A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files, #0.5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin adult urban fantasy series for Pocket. Books in the series are SPIDER'S BITE, WEB OF LIES, VENOM, TANGLED THREADS, SPIDER'S REVENGE, BY A THREAD, and WIDOW'S WEB. THREAD OF DEATH, an e-novella, is also available.

HAIN...more
More about Jennifer Estep...
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)