Start by marking “An Epiphany Gift for Robin” as Want to Read:
An Epiphany Gift for Robin

An Epiphany Gift for Robin

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
UPDATED WITH AN EXTENDED ENDING 1/3/2015

Arthur and Mariot are among the poorest of the poor serfs in 12th Century England. Some call them chattel, no better than the oxen that plow the baron’s fields. While the Yule log roars in the great castle hearth and the baron and his household feast on Christmas goose, Arthur’s family shivers in the cold. Serfs are not meant to drea
Published 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about An Epiphany Gift for Robin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Epiphany Gift for Robin

Joyce
Jan 04, 2015 Joyce added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Someday I'm going to tell much more about these characters. For now, I hope a few of you enjoy this little Epiphany Day gift.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE LADY AND THE MINSTREL tells the story of Robin when he grows up. Find out what he does with his gift of reading and his mother's lute. Watch for THE LADY AND THE MINSTREL in January 2015!
Mareena
Oct 13, 2015 Mareena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes short stories
Recommended to Mareena by: Amazon
The Marcel family is perhaps the poorest family living among all the peasants who farm the baron's land in twelfth-century England. Many would call the serfs who work for Lord Beckford nothing more than chattel, no better than the oxen that plow his lordship's fields. And indeed, as the baron and his household feast on Christmas goose, all seated around a blazing Yule log, Arthur and his family; his loving, yet long-suffering wife Mariot, and their three children - nine-year-old Gilbert, seven-y ...more
Sabrina
a 13 page short story that is a lead in to author's new book. Written well and interesting - reminds me of A Vision of Light (Margaret of Ashbury, #1) by Judith Merkle Riley in its' descriptions of the daily life of peasants. This story has potential!
Amber
Feb 24, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two stars for the actual story. Boring. I think the author had too much sentimental value attached to this backstory. However, I liked the imagery.
The actual excerpt from the book gets 4 stars. I like the medieval world the author builds and the excerpt left me curious. I might or might not read the actual book.
Karen
Feb 25, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short story. It was entertaining and I would read it again. I am interested in her next book that this story was a lead role n for. I would have rated it higher butI was just starting to get into the characters and then it was over.
Ashley M
Aug 16, 2014 Ashley M rated it did not like it
Don't bother

No ending, no real plot, no real sense, no fun. Not worth it even if it's free. I don't recommend this book.
Suzanne
Feb 18, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, sweet story. Enjoyed the spirit of it.
Morag
Feb 16, 2015 Morag rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Short & sweet! Touching!
May Abbey
Nov 06, 2012 May Abbey rated it really liked it
A gently told short story. In general, I don’t like short stories very much – they always seem rather pointless to me. But I enjoyed this one. Reading about medieval life seamlessly integrated into the story was interesting and fun for me. The family wasn’t over the top or cheesy in any way, and the relationship between the husband and wife had romantic elements that are difficult to find in happy, established marriages in literature.
Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
Not sure what to make of this one, it was over before I knew it. I'm hoping it's maybe a prequel to a future book/series. It's like a little glimpse into a medieval home at Christmas. I liked it.

**Update 05/13/14
Per author "THE LADY AND THE MINSTREL tells the story of Robin when he grows up. Find out what he does with his gift of reading and his mother's lute. Watch for THE LADY AND THE MINSTREL in 2014! "
Literary  Chanteuse
A heart warming Christmas story that captures the rural life of peasants in medieval times with such purity. A Father who would sacrifice himself and work himself to the bone to see his family well taken care of and with the deepest hope of seeing his children succeed to a better life is a something that any parent would wish for particularly at Christmas. A nice short story.
Canoe41
Aug 20, 2012 Canoe41 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I don't quite know what to make of "An Epiphany Gift for Robin". It was rather like reading several pages that are torn out of book. The charactors of Arthur and Mariot are somewhat developed; but, the title charactor, Robin, not at all. I did enjoy the few pages that there were. As is however, the story certainly isn't worth 99¢.
Melissa
Mar 01, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-story
I am sad to sad i was so disappointed in this very, very short story. It was way short and it felt like you started the story in the middle and then it ended abruptly. I love Joyce work and will read more of hers in the future, but this is not worth the 99 cents.
Gayle
Jan 15, 2013 Gayle rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-in-2013
This story was much shorter than I expected it to be (I hope there's more about these characters some day!). But it still gave a very interesting peek at the life of the peasant class in medieval times.
Je'taime
Jan 17, 2012 Je'taime rated it did not like it
i did not realize this was a short story when I downloaded it onto my e-reader. It was a VERY short story..21 pages. And a short story with NO ending. sorry...did not enjoy :(
Andrea Smith
Dec 20, 2011 Andrea Smith rated it it was amazing
Loved this little short story, which by the way, you can download for free from smashwords...I can't wait to read more about this family and these characters.
Teya Peck
May 02, 2014 Teya Peck rated it it was amazing
I read this like last month and it was just a teaser for the actual book but it was really good. I want to read the book now.
M R
Nov 19, 2013 M R rated it it was amazing
A touching tale of family, and the sacrifices one man is willing to make for his son's future.
Jenn
Feb 04, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Well written and intriguing story line. I will definitely look for more from this author.
Cheryl
Dec 28, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-authors
A great little story that left me thirsty for more. Please finish it Joyce! ;)
Cathleen
Dec 05, 2012 Cathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
This was way too short. Read it in 10 minutes or less. Sure glad it was free.
Jul 17, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love this author and her writing style. The medieval settings are great.
Kayleigh Slater
Oct 07, 2012 Kayleigh Slater rated it it was ok
A cute short story, but it didn't hold my attention, it was boring.
Cindy
Feb 28, 2012 Cindy marked it as to-read
Short story, and free download on Amazon:D
Katie W
Jan 03, 2013 Katie W rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
Cute, short and sweet holiday story.
Rebeca
Dec 06, 2012 Rebeca rated it liked it
Cute.
Shanda
Shanda marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Linda Buzard-Moffitt
Linda Buzard-Moffitt marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
RMK
RMK rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Beppe DM
Beppe DM marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joyce DiPastena dreamed of green medieval forests while growing up in the dusty copper mining town of Kearny, Arizona. She filled her medieval hunger by reading the books of Thomas B. Costain (where she fell in love with King Henry II of England), and later by attending the University of Arizona where she graduated with a degree in history, specializing in the Middle Ages. The university was also ...more
More about Joyce DiPastena...