Start by marking “Smash! Crash!” as Want to Read:
Smash! Crash!

Smash! Crash! (Jon Scieszka's Trucktown)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  634 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Jack Truck and his best friend Dump Truck Dan are spending the day doing their favorite thing... Smashing and Crashing throughout the whole town! Along the way the meet up with their friends and give us a rollicking tour! But when a mysterious shadow falls and a strange voice calls, is the duo in trouble? Or has a new friend come to town to join in all the smashing fun.
Published January 24th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Smash! Crash!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smash! Crash!

Amy
Oct 10, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I checked this book out for my nephew who is *a boy*! He likes, trucks, he likes smashing, and crashing, he likes all of those testosterone-fueled loud, messy antics that little boys can get up to. He liked this book. A lot. There was a grin plastered on his face from beginning to end, and he informed me many times, "Amy, I like trucks," or "Amy, they are going to prash (crash) those guys!" I actually think he was sorry to see this book end! He loved it, loved it, loved it.

I liked Smash!Crash! j
Natalie
This was definitely lame in the narrative department, But yelling SMASH! CRASH! was fun and what kid doesn't like trucks. Plus there were some cool girl trucks.
Ina
Aug 13, 2014 Ina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
Jack and Dan are best friends. They are a pair of trucks and their favorite thing to do is "Smash! Crash! Smash-crash!" My story time audience loved this book and learned very quickly to chime in on the "chorus." giggling and yelling "Smash Crash" whenever I turned the appropriate page. The illustrations show brightly colored happy, smiling trucks. There are even two female trucks, one a pink big rig, who we find playing pirate. Although the text is somewhat sparse and disjointed, my audience wa ...more
Sierra
Sep 28, 2012 Sierra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although my looking at the cover of this book many presume that this book is geared towards boys but in reality it can be for girls too and there is even a girl truck within the book. Two mischievous trucks play all day, visiting their friends and making lots of noise while helping everyone they come across (fixing a road, stacking barrels, making a pirate fort). In the end they are caught by the wrecking crane and instead of getting into trouble are put to work doing what they do best - smashin ...more
Chelsea
Jack and Dan are two construction trucks that LOVE to smash and crash! They smash and crash so good that, even though they sometimes make a mess, they get the job done and they do it well. Every time they smash and crash a dark shadow appears saying in a scary voice, “Hey you two, I want you…” Each time the trucks zoom away. They run into Melvin the cement truck, Max the big wheeler, Izzy the ice cream truck, and many more. They smash and crash, smash and crash, the whole time. This book is a lo ...more
Rosa Cline
Nov 17, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, favorites
This is such a fun child's book! Vehicles are the 'children' within the story and they get into various antics trying to get the others to play with them; all the while being afraid of a shadow with a deep voice following them. But in the end it's just a new friend WANTING to play. My nearly 4 year old granddaughter loved this book; she enjoyed the story as I read it to her and the very greatly done illustrations!
Amber Atchison
This book would be very fun for boys in particular who like playing with cars, or making crashing sounds like most do. It also includes a page that has to be folded out which would be a good way for the child to do some interacting. The illustrations are very fun and colorful.
Charlene
I read this to my three year old grandsons. They love construction vehicles. They did not love this book. It made no sense. Maybe it was my fault. It made no sense to me.
Cathy
Feb 20, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great bright colors is what I remember most about this book. It's about these two trucks that don't like to anything but smash and crash. They disrupt other truck lives. Their friend Melvin was making cement and Jack and Dan charged towards him once he refuse to play with them because he had another responsibility smashed and crashed the cement mixer making a huge mess. Their friend Melvin was not to happy. I like the printing. The words were large and black. This is very attractive to young rea ...more
The Brothers
Mar 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trucks
Another in the Trucktown series. This book is totally geared toward little boys, with trucks smashing and crashing their way through the town. Great illustrations.
Milo
Nov 16, 2014 Milo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh. I was very surprised at the end. But, Mama did not love that I decided after reading it to smash and crash into everything and everyone.
Miss Sarah
Mar 07, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cars
the cars are out and about having fun crashing until Rosie the crane tells them she wants them. Are they in trouble? Or could it be something else?
Alicia
Sep 19, 2014 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The appeal of a book about smashing and crashing is high for many young readers, but the narration and illustrations were disappointing.
Alisha Brown
Aug 10, 2016 Alisha Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
son loves these books. So far we only have two to read from but hoping to get more.
Emerson and Theodore
"Please," Emerson said as he pointed to the book on the shelf at home.

Two days earlier, at the library, he had walked up to a shelf and grabbed a book. It somehow happened to be about trucks-- one of his favorite subjects.

Though Daddy feels the storyline of two trucks crashing and smashing into everything lacks a moral or a message, we'll never know. Turns out the last two pages were torn out by a previous library lender.

There's one way to find out, though.

Buy it for him on his birthday.

MOOK

Momm
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for: Pre-K-2
This is a cute book about two trucks that love to SMASH and CRASH! The two friends help out their friends as they do their smashing and crashing. But when a voice calls for them they "Gotta go!" Soon the voice catches up with them and the two trucks find out that their help is needed to do some more smashing and crashing!
I think this book would be good for children that enjoy trucks and also for those who need to learn the right and wrong ways to "smash and cra
The Library Lady
There's no depth, no subtlety and barely any story line--just a pair of trucks going "smash and crash". Which is why toddler and preschool kids--especially the BOYS are going to love this one. If my older nephew was still in his car-and-truck mania stage, I'd be buying it for his birthday!
Scieska is going to make a lot of money on this series--especially if he and his team keep put in big foldout pages that those "smash and crash" loving kids are going to rip in no time flat!
Ubalstecha
Jon Scieszka appears to have one mission in life, and that is to write books that boys will read. This book is part of his Trucktown series, aimed at the pre-school set and early primary set. And let me tell you, he has succeeded. My son is addicted to this picture book with its message of smashing and crashing of two young male trucks. We read it almost every day and he can name off every character.

Go get this for the little man in your life.
Gabrielle Mcintire
Dec 07, 2013 Gabrielle Mcintire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
This is one of my favorite books because it is something that the boys in our classroom that they can relate too! Boys love cars and crashing items together. I think by incorporating this into my classroom library will allow the boys in my classroom to learn to enjoy reading and know that reading and school are for them too! This is also a series of books similar which boys love to read series of books together.
carrie
Sep 23, 2008 carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really excited about this series. I mean, how can you go wrong with Jon Scieszka and David Shannon (and 2 other guys who I don't know about)? This book was fun -- not earth shattering, but we liked it. I admire what Scieszka is trying to do for boys. I'm reading The Read-Aloud Handbook and the statistics on reading for boys is alarming. So let me know what good boy books you guys know!
Tiffany
Nov 18, 2013 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I understand that this book is supposed to appeal to boys, but really it was quite boring. I don't get why Izzy was even in there, and she was the most interesting part. Plus when you think of "smashing" and "crashing" you generally think of destruction, not building elaborate traffic cone structures. Most of this story is in the illustrations, so pay close attention to those.
Amanda Funnell
A little bit of rhyming, mostly with -ash.
A story of using ones talents and desires, even if they're bit destructive, for good.
Kayla
Nov 04, 2011 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I should probably give this book 3 stars since my son enjoys it, but I can't do it. It's kind of annoying to read, there's not much of a plot, and I feel like it wants to be funny but it isn't (which is too bad because we LOVE Scieszka's Cowboy and Octopus). On the plus side, the illustrations are eye-catching. Probably a good read for a young, truck-loving kiddo.
Margaret
Jul 29, 2014 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is positively one of the best read-aloud picture books EVER. Just be prepared for your kid to go running around making loud noises afterward (and after all, what is happier than a loud, obnoxious child?). Scieszka is one of those authors who just gets more in touch with his inner child every year, and I would totally give him a hug.
Jfrlewis
Apr 20, 2009 Jfrlewis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My son was drawn to the illustrations of trucks on the cover of this book. I checked it out, based on my limited experience with the author (True Story of the Three Pigs and Math Curse). I didn't care for this book at all. I didn't like the characterization of the trucks, nor the illustrations.
Ruth
Jul 12, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: Manufactured in China--is this ok?

Jack Truck and Dump Truck Dan love to smash and crash and play all day long. Great pictures, interesting type (the "o" in 'you' is a bolt--not all the way through, just sometimes). Cute story for boys (mostly)--but not outstanding.

Mrs Bond
Jack Truck and Dump Truck Dan are best friends. They like to smash and crash everywhere they go. Sometimes their smashing is helpful, sometimes the crashes just makes a mess. They are followed by a very large voice; fold out page shows just how large. Colorful and bright illustrations.
Molly
Jan 28, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book for boys. The fact I had a patron come in and complain that it tought kids to be bad (he got on a major soap box wanting it removed from the shelves) may effect my opinion of it. I think it was very funny and really was in a little boys language. Ages 3+
Crystal
Jul 15, 2008 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
The writing is fairly stilted, but it is written for the younger crowd. The pictures are great and the text shaped like nuts and bolts is really fun. Lots of smashing and crashing. It will be great for my pre-k through 1st students especially those of the smashing persuasion.
Wendy
Jul 30, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is Eric's (my 3 1/2 year olds) current favorite book. We love it so much that we might even buy it--which is saying a lot for us. Lots of trucks and things getting smashed. Appears to be the first in a new series by Jon Scieszka (the guy who wrote The stinky cheese man.)
  • Job Site
  • I Love Trucks!
  • What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • Knock, Knock
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • This Is the Firefighter
  • Trucks Roll!
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...

Jon Scieszka's Trucktown (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Pete's Party