Start by marking “Sundays Will Never Be the Same: Racing, Tragedy, and Redemption--My Life in America's Fastest Sport” as Want to Read:

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In Sundays Will Never Be the Same, former NASCAR champion and current FOX Sports racing analyst Darrell Waltrip provides an intimate account of one of the most dramatic and tragic days in the history of NASCAR: the 2001 Daytona 500— the day that racing legend Dale Earnhardt Sr. died.

The sudden death of Earnhardt on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 was a tra
Published February 5th 2013 by Free Press (first published February 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sundays Will Never Be the Same, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sundays Will Never Be the Same

Nascar Lover
Best Book Ever!

Sundays will never be the same is a very comical book. The main character,Darrell Waltrip, was a NASCAR driver. Darrell is the protagonist of the story. He lived in Owensboro, Kentucky and Franklin, Tennessee. In his younger years when he live in Owensboro, he was always in trouble with the local police department.
Darrell Waltrip was a determined race car driver. He was never afraid to speak his mind. He would wreck drivers while trying to go for a race win. He never feared of
Kathie
This book relives what happened at the Daytona 500 on 2/18/2001 and it's true, Sundays are not the same. Even though I am a huge NASCAR fan, I had forgotten some of the happenings leading up to the crash. I thoroughly enjoy books written about NASCAR--the people involved are like extended family to me. Let's be honest, I spend time with them for at least 36 weekends a year. I think even though he is working with a writer, DW's unmistakable personality comes through in this book, his brashness, h ...more
Chad
I read this book knowing it would be tough. Once I finally picked it up, I never put it down. Waltrip did a great job at telling the stories of his life. At points I laughed, hard. At some points, I was so tense I had to make myself relax.

Knowing beforehand what ultimately happens is what made it so hard to read. The accounts of that day and the immediate aftermath were heartbreaking, again.

You'll learn a lot about Waltrip, where he came from, what drove him, his relationships and his ultimate
Cherie Reeves
For true NASCAR fans, this is a must read. Waltrip is as entertaining as ever. Quite the pompous ass in his younger days. I really enjoyed reading about interactions with his fellow drivers. The premise of the book is Daytona 2001, and how Sundays will never be the same since the death of Dale Earnhardt Senior. Learn the behind the scenes details and dramas of pit road. Feel the emotion....happiness and heartbreak on that fateful day. Waltrip overjoyed that his brother one the Daytona 500- his f ...more
Ashley
Aug 20, 2014 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NASCAR fans, regardless of their favorite driver
Recommended to Ashley by: Rick Hunter
Shelves: borrowed
DW has been my favorite announcer since I started watching NASCAR back in 2010-ish. And so when my brother got this book, I knew that I wanted to read it as I knew that DW had been a driver but that was before my days as a fan.

The story jumps the way that most biographies do (I'll never understand that) but to me this was more than just a book about Darrell Waltrip, it was a nod to all things NASCAR and a touching look at Dale Sr by a man that seemed to know him better than most.

It was an easy
Rick Hunter
My actual rating would be 4.5 stars. I've liked DW since I was a kid and figured this would be one entertaining read. I was not wrong. This rather short book is packed with tons of stories from the last 50 years of DW's life. Some of those stories are hilarious. Others are really sad. The one negative thing that I have to say is that it jumps big pieces of time between some stories or even in the middle of stories. I know that this is the 3rd book DW has co-written and you wouldn't want to put i ...more
Cathy Moore
What can I say? Nobody can tell a DW story like DW! Simply enjoyed this book.
Katherine
February 18, 2001, was the day NASCAR racing changed forever. It was the first race of the first season of Fox NASCAR coverage (they had been covering speedweeks for the last two weeks); it was Darryl Waltrip's first race as an announcer; it was Michael Waltrip's first Daytona 500 win, and it was the day Dale Earnhardt crashed in the next to last lap of the race and died.

This book is more than a discussion of Earnhardt's death. Waltrip covers his career from young dirt track racer, to NASCAR, to
Andy
I don't give out 5 star reviews very often....usually only to books that have a profound impact on my life or a book that just literally moves me emotionally. This is one of those books. Granted, I'm a big NASCAR fan, so no doubt that allowed me to really enjoy this book, but Waltrip wrote the book (with Larkin's help) in such a way that it brought to the surface his ever changing relationship with Dale Earnhardt as he describes how he grew up and became a racer from the small town of Owensboro, ...more
Frode
I am not a NASCAR fan although I have watched portions of a race or two at my son's house. I bought the book for him but thought I'd read it first. It was very well written; the story flowed seamlessly, and the characters were colorful and interesting. It is really Darrell Waltrip's story, but it gives a glimpse into the NASCAR fraternity and its growth over the years. I was taken in by the story and read it quickly. Darrell portrays himself as an ordinary rural kid who loved to race and had the ...more
Karen
This book was part of the "Blind Date" event at the library. DW is a good ol' boy who tells about his life up through Dale Earnhardt's death and DW's appearance as a TV analyst and race commentator for the FOX network. His early racing experiences ring true and he talks about the background of racing, the tracks and the people in racing in an entertaining manner. Race fans will enjoy this book!
Liz
This is a must read for any NASCAR fan. Despite the name, it focuses on the career of Darrell Waltrip, and later explains the emotions felt by all during the race that killed Dale Earndhart. The book is filled with humor, which is to be expected from Waltrip. I absolutely loved it!
David
An enjoyable book about NASCAR racing and its many colorful characters. If I have a nit to pick, it's that DW's quirky voice is mostly missing...this narrative sounds more like his ghostwriter to me.
Ryan Alger
I thought that this book was amazing it had alot of great detail and it was so detailed that most of the time I could picture myself right next to darrell himself and be doing what he was doing.
Pat
One of Nascar's veteran drivers shares his personal history in the sport; his triumphs, mistakes, and the profound effect that the death of friend and formal rival, Dale Earnhardt, had on him.
Maryann Washington
Really enjoyed this book, excellent read for all NASCAR fans!
Tracy
Lovely racing book. I enjoyed reading of DW's career.
Cherri
Cherri marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Brian Fitzgerald
Brian Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Kurt
Kurt marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Michael Miller
Michael Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
DW: A Lifetime Going Around in Circles Darrell Waltrip One on One: The Faith That Took Him to the Finish Line Darrell Waltrip One-On-One NASCAR: Yesterday & Today The Girlfriend's Guide to Nascar: Officially Licensed