Start by marking “A Once Crowded Sky” as Want to Read:
A Once Crowded Sky

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

A Once Crowded Sky

A tour de force debut novel from a former CIA counter-terrorism officer, A Once Crowded Sky fuses the sensibility of bombastic, comic-book-style storytelling with modern literary fiction to bring to life a universe of super men stripped of their powers, newly mortal men forced to confront danger in a world without heroes.

The superheroes of Arcadia City fight a wonderful w
Published July 10th 2012 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about A Once Crowded Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Once Crowded Sky

seak
Jul 10, 2013 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review, 2013
Superheroes seem to be the new thing these days, not that they've ever not been the thing, it's just that they seem to be more of a thing now. Not only are they in the movies but now they're even combined with zombies.

Superheroes with no powers, well all except one of them, reflect on the meaning of being a hero. No this isn't The Watchmen silly, it's not even a graphic novel.

But seriously, it's hard not to compare to The Watchmen when you start reading. And after a while you realize it's actual
Sharon
Oct 15, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this. I just didn't.

A good editor may have had a chance to save this. Verbose doesn't even begin to describe how overly-wordy this book is. Drags, drags, drags. A main character is shot and dodges the bullet, which takes FOUR PAGES. Four pages to explain the emotional backstory to dodging a bullet? Backstory is rehashed so much, so much, over and over again, treading the same territory, retold, explained again and... oh wait, where was I? Oh yes: backstory is rehashed so
Tasha Robinson
Interesting superhero plot involving a cataclysmic event that took all the superheroes and villains out of a comic-book world, but the execution is maddeningly oblique and repetitive. The author attempts to preserve an air of mystery throughout the first half of the book by deliberately obfuscating identities and events, omitting names and specifics, which is more often confusing than exciting. And the characters are mostly caught in traumatized states where their mental monologues just repeat t ...more
Timothy Ward
Sep 29, 2012 Timothy Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, superhero
Full review at SF Signal.

REVIEW SUMMARY: Comic book in prose sends us inside the heads of heroes and villains fighting for the world and those they love.

BRIEF SYNOPSIS: A mysterious threat to Arcadia forces the last superhero to choose between being a husband and saving the world.

PROS: Superhero adventure with heart, mystery, and immersive action that makes reading about these characters a moving experience.

CONS: The prose may take too many liberties in what the reader understands to be happenin
Lauren
Sep 25, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amazing concept. Fantastic concept. Let me think of a few more adjectives to describe how much I like the idea and plot of this book before I discuss the execution of said concept and plot … Stunning, that’s a good one. Enthralling would also work. But man, this book needed someone to save it from its own adolescent self-indulgence (let me pause here to say none of what I say is intended to sleight Mr. King, who strikes me as an intelligent, thoughtful man). Or, as another review put it (albeit ...more
Noel
Aug 26, 2012 Noel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
I am going to start by saying that I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The author knows the genre of comic book based superheroes really well, and clearly loves it. And I am glad I read it.

I'll start with what I liked.

The book was structured and presented wonderfully for comic hero prose. Each chapter is broken into segments, and each segment comes from a perspective of one of the characters. Each segment is identified by a title & number of a comic book that would correspond
Anton
Apr 30, 2013 Anton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A Once Crowded Sky” is a comic book in novel form. Like many comic stories, it centers around a huge crisis event that brings all of the worlds superheroes together to fight a great evil. But this time, winning the battle means losing their greatest champion — and all of their powers.

The story beings six months after all of the heroes of Arcadia gave their powers to Ultimate, the superhero robot that inspired them all, so that he could fly off to defeat the threat known as The Blue (and die in
Chris Bauer
As a comic book junkie with decades of experience I jumped a the chance to read "A Once Crowded Sky" by Tom King. The author has a very unique background of working for both DC and Marvel and I was looking forward to reading some excellent "four color" writing.

I was disappointed. The book is either a story about "the end of a beginning" or "the beginning of an end" depending on how you view the story as it unfolds.

The ideas behind the book started out fresh and exciting. The most powerful "supe
Beth
All the super heroes, except 1, have given up their powers to Ultimate to fight the Blue. Some energy force cause the villains to kill themselves so now the use to be heroes must adjust to life without villains and powers. While they are still adjusting to their new roles, The Blue shows up on earth.

The powerless heroes must rally together, including the reluctant side lick, Pen Ultimate. Pen Ultimate was Ultimate's side kick and the only one that chose to keep his powers. A choice that was rid
Amanda Thompson
The idea of this story sounds absolutely amazing. It's a superhero world in which all but one hero had to sacrifice their superpowers in order to save the world, and it follows the aftermath of these immortals suddenly dealing with their own mortality. I wanted to love this book so, so much.

Unfortunately, only ten pages in, the f-word had already been used close to twenty times in a single conversation. Yeah, I'm not putting up with that.

For those who don't mind the swearing, the storytelling 1
Timothy Boyd
I could not get into this book at all. I know any superhero story is in some way going to be a reflection of the big name heroes and their history but the characters in this book just seem to be cardboard cutouts of already established superheros. The writing never seemed to reach out and grab me and pull me into the story like a good book should. While not one of the worst books I have ever read (see my reviews for Catcher in the Rye, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Fahrenheit 451 for those) it ...more
Rick (from Another Book Blog)
Jul 22, 2012 Rick (from Another Book Blog) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic novel fans with a penchant for repetition
One of these days I'm going to stumble across a superhero novel I actually like. I'm not sure what it is about the genre that makes the transition from "graphic" to "novel" so difficult, but my patience is starting to wear a little thin. I guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and put my hopes into Seven Wonders.

A Once Crowded Sky is set in Arcadia, a city teeming with former superheroes who gave up their powers in order to prevent the end of the world from The Blue—a nebulous force that requir
Eric Mesa
Dec 13, 2013 Eric Mesa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is a fan of comics
If you love or have ever loved reading comics, you need to read this book. It is essentially a love letter to comic book fans. This is a world in which the characters are slightly self-aware. They don't really know they're in a story, but it does still have some of the same vibes of Redshirts. The characters know that they always come back after death (view spoiler) and they know they monologue and then save the world. But they d ...more
Ryan Thomason
Let me tell you why you shouldn’t let this crowd your bookshelf.

Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh, how bout, if you find this book in the discount bin and you like superheroes you can determine what to do with the book yourself after you buy it.

I accepted a review copy based on the premise of this book by Tom King, A world where superheroes had lost all of their powers to save the world from a blue energy destroying foce and the villains all committed suicide. There is one person left with powers,
Tobin Elliott
Jun 09, 2015 Tobin Elliott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy, fiction, comics
Yet another great premise killed by lousy writing. Couldn't finish this, which pisses me off, because it was a great idea, and with some cool graphic panels thrown in, just like a comic book, it looked like it was a well-thought out package.

Then I started to read it.

In the 56 pages I read, it felt like King randomly forgot sentences or paragraphs. There was a whole lotta missing context at times. I'm sure he thought this was edgy, or mysterious, but it was simply annoying.

However, the final nail
Bri
When I first spotted this book during check-in at the library I was really excited to check it out. The concept sounded fascinating to me. Unfortunately, once I started reading, I just couldn't get into it. I gave up without even making it in to my usual 100-page cut off.

I like the format, but the content just felt lacking to me. I felt like the reader was supposed to just KNOW who these characters were. There wasn't enough offered to me to endear the characters to me quickly, probably something
Shanshad Whelan
Jul 20, 2012 Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of superhero novels. Some have hit the mark--understanding what superhero comics are and how to evoke that in a narrative plot. Some are a bit far off base and never quite capture that vantage point that "gets" superheroes. There's no doubt this author gets the genre--King recognizes the tropes and cycles and feeling of the comics without hesitation.

What I will say is this--if you're looking for a comic book story told in novel form, this won't be it. The author's take on this is
Shelleyb
Aug 29, 2012 Shelleyb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PULL THE TRIGGER!!!
I am in love with this book! I am a manager for chapters and when this book came in put it on my reading list right away!
Being a huge (secret) Fangirl, And avid reader (did you see where I work!) I was very excited to finally get to read "A once crowded sky" ( I had 5 other books ahead on my list, cuz ya gotta keep a list!)
I am not even half done but I can't stop talking about it! Truly hope Tom King writes MORE!!! (and what the heck, He was CIA and worked at Marvel comics?
Kevin Smythe
Jan 16, 2017 Kevin Smythe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a book about a world where superheroes lost their powers. What I got was much, much more. An ambitious book, King proves that superheroes can be used to tell any story. Much of this book deals with themes of mortality, family, sacrifice, and the relationship between humans and gods. At times I felt like King was writing a critique of comics; at other times, a love letter. I suspect this was meant as a bit of both.

The style of the book is very non-conventional (which I loved, as
Andrew
Jul 13, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

So I do just have to say initially that I love Tom King. I loved the first issues of Vision and Sheriff of Babylon and Grayson and The Omega Men (unfortunately I still have to read the rest of what's come so far, as I've been waiting for trades to continue the series), and the current Batman series he's been putting out has been great. I'm a huge fan and I'll probably buy any comic he does.

As such, I picked this up expecting to love it. And for the last third-ish, I kinda did. Unfortunately
Matt King
It's difficult for me to get into any superhero story where the main character isn't really interested in being a hero, so this book kind of started behind the 8-ball. The writing kept me going, though, and there are some really brilliant passages in here. I think next time I'd like to see a little less deconstruction of the genre and more application of what makes it so great. Still, this was well worth the read.
Faye Bierbower
May 19, 2012 Faye Bierbower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jonathon
I received the book as a Goodreads first read. This reads like a comic book (or series of comics) in the form of a novel. Love the classic/epic illustrations inside. I enjoyed the read, but it's been a while since I've read comic books; therefore it threw me for a loop between the jumping about and the plot/characters flip-flopping wildly. I'd like to read this one again soon, to better evaluate it.
David V.
Apr 13, 2012 David V. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Received as an ARC from the publisher. I don't even know what to say about this book. Maybe I just didn't "get it." Fictional superheroes and villains all know each other. They give their powers to one of them so he can save the world, dying in the process. The remaining ones aren't happy with their ordinary lives. I'd love to sit down with the author to discuss the book.
Daniel
Feb 21, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From beginning to end great book.
Brendan
I really wanted to like this book. I'm a fan of Tom King's writing in comic books and thought his literary style would translate to a novel. The Vision is overwhelmingly literary and one of my favorite superhero comics ever. But his style did not transfer well at all. After reading this I have a theory that he's best suited to comics because it forces him to use a minimal amount of words for the greatest effect and the art forces the plot to move forward whether the characters want to go or not. ...more
Jonathan
Jul 08, 2014 Jonathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fair Warning: a few spoilers here and there.
Superhero novels are, apparently a trend these days. The tone of A Once Crowded Sky is different from other books dealing with some of the same subjects. Soon I Will Be Invincible, Prepare to Die, and even Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain have a few serious moments, but all are more lighthearted and funny than A Once Crowded Sky. That's fine. Tom King isn't trying to be funny, but he doesn't do a good job of telling a more serious super hero s
Ketan Shah
Jun 01, 2017 Ketan Shah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm a long time comic book fan and count deconstructionist super hero stories like Alan Moore's Watchmen among my favourites. I've also read and enjoyed Tom King's DC comics series Omega Men so I was thrilled when I got my hands on his only novel. I really wanted to like this but reading it was a slog ,with choppy narrative,uninteresting characters and an overall feel of something that might have worked better as a TV show or comic instead of a prose novel. By the time it was due back at the lib ...more
Rolando Marono
May 12, 2017 Rolando Marono rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good:
-Great plot.
-It feels like a tribute to Moore's work in watchmen.
-There are characters like the prophetier and DG that are very well written and I considered their powers very interesting.
-Great structure, combining different stories that are slightly tying until they are tied.
-Some of the monologues will break your heart.

The bad:
-At bit confusing in the beginning. Too many characters.
-At the half of the book, the plot thickens and gets very very complex.

Recommended to:
-who liked watchm
Beth
May 29, 2017 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Superheroes always come back. Everyone comes back. They have to come back. That's how the story works.

This is a story that comic book fans will understand. It reads like a comic without the illustrations. It also tells a story about stories.
Corey Hodgdon
Jun 05, 2017 Corey Hodgdon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was slow to get going, but it got really good and kept my interest.
  • Prepare to Die!
  • Seven Wonders
  • Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories
  • Masked
  • Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain
  • Turbulence
  • Only Superhuman
  • Wayne of Gotham
  • Nobody Gets the Girl (Whoosh! Bam! Pow!, #1)
  • Devil's Cape
  • The Rise of Ransom City (The Half-Made World, #2)
  • 1/2 王子 10 (1/2 Prince, #10)
  • Small Shen
  • Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)
  • Phenomenal Girl 5 (Elite Hands of Justice, #1)
  • Soldiers First: Duty, Honor, Country, and Football at West Point
  • Superheroes

“You have to draw a line. I just think I drew it in the wrong fucking place.” 8 likes