Start by marking “Daisy and Josephine” as Want to Read:
Daisy and Josephine

Daisy and Josephine

New York Times bestselling author Melissa Gilbert makes her picture book debut with this fetching story about a shy little girl and her spunky dog, Josephine!

Everyone has a favorite person, and Daddy is Daisy's. But when the two of them are on the road for Daddy's work, Daisy sometimes feels lonely. She is very shy and wishes she had a friend. So Daddy gets Daisy a surpris
Published January 21st 2014 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Daisy and Josephine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daisy and Josephine

Daisy and Josephine by Melissa GilbertAnother Day as Emily by Eileen SpinelliHoney Bee's Adventures at Wilderness Pond by Cathryn Carman Davis
Mock Caldecott 2015
1st out of 3 books — 5 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis KlauseSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
_______ & _______
145th out of 175 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill
Jan 21, 2014 Bill rated it did not like it
Shelves: pb-narrative
Just when you thought/hoped that celebrity-authored children's books might be on the wane. And when you hoped/thought they couldn't get any worse.

Oh, I hadn't read the blurb: "one that everyone can relate to." I'd better get to work on relating....
Edward Sullivan
Jan 21, 2014 Edward Sullivan rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Another children's book published only because it's authored by a celebrity.
Monica
May 30, 2014 Monica rated it liked it
The art is darling. Daisy looks like a cross between Melissa as a little girl and Pippy Longstocking. I knew from cover alone this would be a winner with my little girl. And it was. As a 4-year-old she gobbled it up and loved the story too. The story was a little on the weak side, but I think most of the negative reviews are based on dislike of the author. There are plenty of ridiculously boring or otherwise flawed books marketed and filling up your libraries, so I disagree that this was only ...more
Kelsey
Jan 22, 2014 Kelsey rated it did not like it
This was so bizarre and tried to fit too many picture book cliches into one storyline, including: lonely girl, hard-working dad, traveling girl, friendship between dog and child--and then the dog started talking in a French accent. He starts talking about 2/3 of the way through. "I am a French bulldog so I can speak French," she says as she continues to speak English with French phrases lightly intermingled. This bulldog is actually a French fashionista and they have a great time dolling ...more
Jane G Meyer
May 16, 2014 Jane G Meyer rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I first read through this book, not realizing who the author was. The illustrations are whimsical and fun, and very well done, but the text is very thin, and odd, and I wondered at the end, "why did they contract this story?"

Reading the jacket flap I realized that THIS Melissa Gilbert, is THE Melissa Gilbert, and then I got it.

Anyway, not my favorite read this year, but the design, and the pictures, and the look of the book are all fun.
paula
Feb 19, 2014 paula rated it it was ok
What? Ugh. Why are we using each other's names in every sentence? Wordy. And halfway through, the dog starts talking!

Two stars though because I am now looking for everything this illustrator has ever done. Wonderful draftmanship, sweet palette that is earthy but delicate, strong graceful lines. Julia Kuo, my new pal. As for Half-Pint, honey you HAVE a job.
Leslie Inglis
Mar 05, 2014 Leslie Inglis rated it liked it
The story could use a little more content but the pictures are lovely & my daughter really enjoyed the book especially Josephine's fashion and Daisy's special song.
Paige
Mar 16, 2014 Paige rated it liked it
5 stars for the illustrations, 2 for the story, so I guess that averages to a 3.5?
Marfita
This is possibly for fans of French bulldogs.
Daisy travels with her musician father and her tutor, who seems to be named after an inner ear disorder - but she's lonely. Her father provides her with a puppy for a friend. Josephine is not much of a puppy, doesn't look much like a dog or do doggie things. What she does do will aMAZE you - not. She speaks. She speaks French. And she's obsessed with haute couture. I can only imagine that this is meant to be a series to rival O'Connor's Fancy Nancy. B
Karen & Gerard
Apr 19, 2014 Karen & Gerard rated it it was amazing
We both enjoyed this short children's book with illustrations by Julia Kuo. It is about a lonely little girl who loves her dad and travels around with him, but doesn't really have any friends until one day her daddy gives her a strange looking dog. This book actually made me laugh out loud when the girl tried playing with her dog who didn't want to play. You will have to read the book to find out how they finally bonded and what they agreed to do. It was interesting to me that the author has a ...more
Rachel
I love French bulldogs, which is why I picked up this book. Apparently Melissa Gilbert, star of “Little House on the Prairie” does also, although she actually owns one. This book was based off the actresses’ own childhood. Daisy’s father is a famous singer and entertainer, and travels all over the world. His daughter Daisy follows along with her homeschool teacher. Daisy adores her father, but she is lonely, so her daddy gets her a friend. Josephine is a French Bulldog who can actually speak ...more
Trisha Hope
Jan 10, 2016 Trisha Hope rated it it was amazing
When I found this book I never noticed that it was written by Melissa Gilbert; Laura from Little House on the Prairie. I picked this book because of the cover and what it was about. Adding Melissa Gilbert into the picture was just an extra bonus! I loved the story line and found it funny when the Josephine began to actually talk but in French. It does make sense because she was a French Bull Dog. I can imagine Melissa playing dress up with her dog when she was little, what little girl wouldn't ...more
Monaco
Aug 31, 2016 Monaco rated it did not like it
Illustrations are fine, but for the love of god here's another celebrity publishing a book because they're a celebrity. And better yet, it's as narcissistic as you'd expect, because of course everyone must probably love her dog as much as she does. Yes that's right she writes about her OWN dog as if anyone really cares. Get out of your bubble, Melissa Gilbert, and get over yourself.
Jschofi4
Apr 03, 2015 Jschofi4 rated it did not like it
Based on the beautiful cover, I had such high hopes but it fell flat. It had a very bio feel to me, so I kept thinking it was related to the dad (the impt singer) but I couldn't figure out who it was. The problems only got worse.... Randomly talking bulldog? Abrupt dress up party when the girl appeared quirky and down to earth in the rest of the story? Idk. Just felt too weird.
Chelsey Wilson
Sep 16, 2014 Chelsey Wilson rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very sweet! A young girl travels all the time with her father and her tutor. She gets lonely a lot since she never has time to make any friends, so her dad gets her a dog. The dog talks to her and they have a very sweet friendship. I loved it and can't wait to put this book in my future classroom!
Robyn
Sep 20, 2014 Robyn rated it it was ok
I asked my daughter to read this and tell me what she thought. She thought it was a bit weird and that Daisy did some things she just didn't understand. I read through it and couldn't believe this was actually a published book. Celebrity status has so many privileges. I gave it two stars because the illustrations are adorable.
JJ Lynne
Jan 01, 2016 JJ Lynne rated it it was ok
Dog lovers will find this story somewhat amusing, but the fact that it is not well written makes it less enjoyable. The illustrations redeem this book. Simply flip through without reading the text and you will adore it.
Katie
Feb 10, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok
The illustrations are gorgeous, but the story is really all over the place. I definitely didn't understand why Josephine (the dog) needed to talk. I wish the story of Daisy and her father was more fleshed out, and the relationship between Josephine and Daisy was also more developed
Selena
Aug 05, 2014 Selena rated it did not like it
Shelves: juvenile
Hmmm...I kind of wonder if I had sent this book to the publisher instead of Melissa Gilbert if it would even be sitting on shelves right now. If you have a snooty French bulldog for a pet, you'll love it though.
Mary
This is a sweet story about a little girl, her father, and how friendship can come in unusual packages. The illustrations are lovely, and the theme of love and acceptance is palpable throughout the story. Good for early elementary readers.
Kathy
Mar 18, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2014
I wanted to read this book because I am a huge Melissa Gilbert fan. It was a sweet book about a little girl who has a famous dad. She knows she is loved, but she is lonely. Her dad gives her a gift that allows her to give love and not be lonely anymore.
Bethe
Apr 12, 2014 Bethe rated it it was ok
Another celebrity author with a childhood story, I picked it up because of the dog. Storyline is a bit confused, not my kind of dog, nothing new here.
Kelly Veatch
Jul 14, 2014 Kelly Veatch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I think I just loved this book because it is written by Melissa Gilbert. It's based on her childhood.
Amanda
Feb 11, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because of the cover; I stuck with this book because of the illustrations; otherwise, I just didn't connect. I wanted to really like this book but just felt *meh* instead.
Jodie
Jun 28, 2014 Jodie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, dogs
The book started out fine and then the dog starts to talk and then it ends. Ok, there's a bit more, but it is missing something. I like the illustrations to this book though.
Bibi Rose
Jan 16, 2014 Bibi Rose rated it really liked it
Oh my god the drawings! If you like bulldogs, pugs or Boston terriers, you must check out this book!
Amy
Feb 11, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it
Really? Yikes...just because you're a celebrity doesn't mean you should write a children's book. Some kids will probably like it, but I found it truly annoying.
Beth
Aug 01, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
Hmmm... The timing of this one was off. Midway through the story Josephjne just suddenly starts talking. It felt awkwardly timed. Cute idea but not executed well.
Carol
May 03, 2014 Carol rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, pets, dogs
My do all celebrities think they need to write a picture book?
It was okay up until the point the dog started speaking French!
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add ISBN 2 18 Jan 31, 2014 11:32AM
  • Snow Valley Heroes a Christmas Tale (Planet of the Dogs #3)
  • The Silver Button
  • The Perfect Present
  • Peanut Butter and Jellyfish
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone