Start by marking “Tell Me About Your Day Today” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  209 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A boy and his favorite stuffed animals share their days with one another in this cozy bedtime picture book from Mem Fox.

There was once a boy who loved bedtime.

What could be more wonderful than sharing bedtime with beloved friends? The little boy in this gentle and fun story loves to talk to his stuffed animals each evening and share
Published September 4th 2012 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me About Your Day Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me About Your Day Today

Caryn Caldwell
There once was a boy who loved bedtime. His favorite part? Discussing the day's events with his three favorite stuffed animals. In turn, each one tells about the adventures of the day, and how "the whole wild thing turned out okay." While they all address a similar event - a thunderstorm and its aftermath - the various retellings show how perspective can change a story.

While the words in this book are simple, the cadence is phenomenal and very satisfying to read aloud. Although each of the four
Melissa
Love how all the pieces of all the stories fit together. The phrase, "The who, the what, the why, and the way the whole wild thing turned out okay" is a great beginning story framework.
Laura Salas
Dec 05, 2012 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
by Mem Fox, illus. by Lauren Stringer
(Beach Lane Books, 2012)

This wonderful bedtime story has the main character's friends (his stuffed animals) each telling about their exciting day. It's not a rhyming picture book, but it has this lovely comforting refrain:

And Greedy Goose
told him about her day--
the who,
the what,
the why,

and the way...
the whole wild thing...
turned out okay.

Each animal's story is that short, with beautiful spot (mostly) illustrations showing exactly w
Jessica Westerman
Sep 12, 2012 Jessica Westerman rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecott
If I had to pick a winner for the Caldecott Award, it would go to Lauren Stringer for her illustrations in "Tell Me ABout Your Day Today" written by Mem Fox. Every page is rich in color and helps to tell the story. The story is told about a young buy that loved bedtime because he got to "talk" with his four best friends, his stuffed animals. They each take turns telling about their day. It does not give details about their days, just illustrations. At first I thought of this book for bedtime rat ...more
Samantha
A fantastic new bedtime story. After a little boy goes through his nighttime routines, he spends a few moments with his most cherished stuffed animals and asks about how each one spent the day. The text follows a formula and artwork is used to fill in the blanks as the text is very simple. The pictures help build narrative skills as the text doesn't reveal what happened during everyone's day, the pictures tell the story. Great read aloud, great artwork, all around GREAT!
Austin Carper
Nov 07, 2014 Austin Carper rated it really liked it
Tell Me About Your Day Today is about a boy who loves his bedtime more than almost anything. When it's time for bed, he loves the bedtime kisses, and getting to talk to all of his friends at the end of the day (his stuffed horse, rabbit, and bunny). He asks them each how their day went, and they tell him all about the adventures they went on. In the end, you get to see how the boy's day went as well.
This book is a very low-level read; It'd be a good one for PreK kids.An activity you could do wit
Elisabeth
Sep 10, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
I like the connections in this books. The little connections the toys make and then the big connection the boy's actions makes. Nice and repetitive.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I love the repetitiveness of the text which engages early readers in being able to "read" it.
Amy
Jul 04, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Excellent and clever! This one is going in my personal library.
Tasha
Dec 04, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the story of a little boy who looked forward to bedtime. He loved the kisses, the stories, the good night. But most of all he loved the conversations he had with his stuffed animal friends. Each of them took a turn telling about what happened during their day: “the who, the what, the why, and the way… the whole wild thing…turned out okay.” As each character describes their day, it is told solely in pictures with the refrain above as the only words. And each one builds on the last, creati ...more
Maddypictures
Sep 15, 2012 Maddypictures rated it it was amazing
Hurrah! A bedtime picture book from Mem Fox. This one starts out, "There once was a boy who loved bedtime." Ha! Way to hoodwink 'em! When the boy settles in to bed, he shares stories with his stuffed animals. "The who, the what, the why, and the way... the whole thing... turned out okay." Marvelously soothing repetition creates a calming effect. In a roundabout way, we learn of the boy's adventure jumping in the rain, repairing his stuffed bunny's damaged fluffy tail, and a picnic under a blanke ...more
Felicia Banks
Mar 13, 2015 Felicia Banks rated it it was amazing
The little boy who loves bedtime? Where do I find one of those? His "friends" tell him about their day and then asks about his, only to reveal that everyone's day "turned out okay."
Bethe
Mar 25, 2014 Bethe rated it it was ok
Reassuring repeating pattern for gentle bedtime story. Live the blue horse, but the bandaid on rabbit's bottom just looks wrong.
Erin
Sep 15, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Not much of a story, but illustrations allow reader to puzzle out the story. Great for inferencing using pictures.
Jiali Yu
Feb 17, 2014 Jiali Yu rated it it was amazing
A great picture book, parents can ask children about what they did in school, how their day going, etc.
Rachel Rouleau
I love the repeating phrases in Mem Fox's books. Fun to read aloud.
Lynne
Another sweet, end-of-the day, bedtime read from Mem Fox. If you have read Reading Magic, her book on reading aloud to children, you know how important she considers making reading a bedtime ritual is. So it is no accident that she has written books specifically for bedtime. This one will help a child to reflect on the day and engage in a conversation with whoever is reading the book about what happened during the day and whether or not it "turned out okay." This would be a good read just before ...more
Taahira
This book was okay--I probably wouldn't recommend it nor read it to my though. It was repetitive and the pictures implied a lot of the story, but because the pictures were small, it was kind of hard to piece the story together. But it was imaginative and appealed to the idea of making up stories and adventures for one's stuffed animals--just not in the best way. It introduced or reinforced story-telling concepts like who what why and how which could be discussed with a class.
Marika
May 11, 2012 Marika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mem Fox is a genius when it comes to picturebook text. Her text is sparse, with just enough repetition, room for illustrations, and it begs to be read aloud. Tucked into bed, a young boy asks each of his toys what they did that day. As each toy answers, the illustrations reveal how his story connects with the others, culminating in how the boy's actions brought about each toy's experiences. A wonderful new bedtime book from a picturebook master.
Tiffany
Sep 11, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
Genre: PB15

Great bedtime Stormy that will leave the reader ready to tell all their favorite animals goodnight. The illustrations are drawn beautifully and complete the story. Without the illustrations we would not understand the day that this little boy had with his stuffed animals. Perfect for early readers, the repetition in this story helps make this a great read aloud as well.

Three words to describe this story: cute, cuddly, sweet
Ariel Cummins
Nov 11, 2012 Ariel Cummins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet little picture book who loves bedtime, because he gets to hear about all his toy's days. Nice repeating refrains will make it fun for story time or reading aloud, and the many different toys mean that you could probably get away with glossing over one or two to make this one a bit shorter.

Soft, colorful illustrations that fit well with the idea of winding down your day.
Susan
Sep 24, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
My third child was one of those rare creatures who would put himself to bed if we took too long getting him there. We'd be ready for the stories and find he was already under the covers happily waiting. (All this has changed, mind you, now that he is a teenager). So it is good to see a book of a bedtime loving child, and this one is nicely done.
Teresa Scherping
Sep 19, 2012 Teresa Scherping rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I would love to read this one aloud! A boy who loves bedtime asks his stuffed animals about their day. Each character's story is told through illustrations while the text repeats the telling, "the who, the what, the why, and the way...the whole wild thing...turned out okay." A great opportunity to ask what's going on the pictures. Comforting and sweet!
Sandy Brehl
Mem Fox uses very few words, and many of those in a repeating pattern, to tell end-of-day stories through the eyes of beloved toys, each of whom processes the boy's own exciting/frightening/satisfying experiences of the day.
Terrific to pair with Emily Jenkins/Paul O Zelinsky's Toys Go Out/Toy Dance Party/Toys Come Home trilogy.
Lori
Sep 30, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
We love Mem Fox. This is Sophia's current favorite bedtime book (age 3.5) She likes to read most of it to me now, but its so peaceful and soothing and cute. We can talk a lot about the pictures, or we can just go with the flow of the text and it works well. Might have to buy this one as ours must go back to the library now!
C Klassen
Feb 13, 2014 C Klassen rated it really liked it
A sweet story about remembering that highlights the significance of perspective.
Shannan
Jan 31, 2013 Shannan rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art with rich, engaging colours. Great story with just enough spelled out to leave children with room to imagine more details through examination of the pictures. Reassuring story for children to see that though there may be ups and downs during a day, in the end, it all works out alright.
Viv
Nov 07, 2012 Viv rated it it was amazing
A great book to read to your little one at bed time. It gave me that cozy/warm, peaceful feeling inside as I was reading it. The illustrations are perfect for the book. Reminded me of how I loved talking to my stuff animals and dolls before I went to bed when I was a little girl.
Angela
Aug 03, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mem Fox is unsurpassed no matter the genre, even in the land of bedtime books, which is well-populated. Her cadence is perfect and her picture book text is spot-on. I can hear the rhythm and sounds in my head and would love to hear parents reading this before bed. (see what happens!)

Michelle
I enjoyed this cute story about a small boy who, before he goes to sleep for the night, asks each of his favorite stuffed toys about their day. Great repetition, adorable illustrations, and a neat little surprise to tie it all up at the end for the observant reader...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Waking Dragons
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • Spike, the Mixed-up Monster
  • Mice
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Sleep Like a Tiger
  • underGROUND
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • A Kiss Means I Love You
  • Oh, No!
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th
More about Mem Fox...