Start by marking “Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy” as Want to Read:
Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy

Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  570 ratings  ·  111 reviews
This playful picture book with audio from Jan Thomas features a courageous cowboy who croons to his cows before bed—with just a few fearful interruptions.

Join the Brave Cowboy as he tries to sing his young calf pals to sleep on a dark, dark night—EEEEEEEK! IS THAT A HUGE HAIRY SPIDER OVER THERE? Oh, it’s just a flower? Well then, back to the lullaby.
No one does preschool h
Published September 25th 2012 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy

This is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenCreepy Carrots! by Aaron ReynoldsZ Is for Moose by Kelly BinghamStep Gently Out by Helen FrostLemonade in Winter by Emily Jenkins
2013 Texas 2x2 Reading List
8th out of 20 books — 7 voters
How to Catch a Star by Oliver JeffersThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffGoodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey RinkerPete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin
Preschool-'C'
21st out of 49 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi
Brilliant! Possibly my favorite Jan Thomas so far! Can't wait to read this aloud--complete with my southern/Texas accent. Haven't heard the recording for the song, yet, but I came up with my own tune to sing. This is wonderful and I MUST read at some time in some storytime. All ages should get it, and if read well, it can be fabulously hilarious!

1/16/13 & 1/17/13: Still haven't listened to the recording, so I sang my tune. Had a fun doing so, as well. Kids seemed to enjoy it. And I had them
Elisabeth
I wish more children's book authors would look to Jan Thomas to see how it's done!
Becky
I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Jan Thomas' IS EVERYONE READY FOR FUN? I really wanted to love her newest book, Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy, just as much. It didn't quite happen. But. I did really enjoy it. I really do love Thomas' cows. They are just so much fun!!! The book begins with a cowboy singing a gentle lullaby to two of his cows, things are going well until....the song gets interrupted...by the cowboy's "EEK!" as the cowboy gets frightened over and over again. The cows do a g ...more
Erin
I'm so bad about recording which picture books I've read in story time and how well they went over! June Krell is great about it though, so June, if you're reading this, I'm going to use you as my inspiration!

9/2014: I've done this one a couple of times, but most recently at an evening PJ story time in September. It went over great, and I think it's a good choice for mixed-age groups like that for a couple of reasons:

It's not super long (so good for a group with toddlers/babies)
Thomas's big, bri
Christine Turner
This playful picture book from Jan Thomas features a courageous cowboy who croons to his cows before bed...with just a few fearful interruptions. Join the Brave Cowboy as he tries to sing his young calf pals to sleep on a dark, dark night...EEEEEEEK! IS THAT A HUGE HAIRY SPIDER OVER THERE? Oh, it's just a flower? Well then, back to the lullaby. No one does preschool humor with Jan Thomas's wit, verve, and bold, snappy color. And her Brave Cowboy and his silly, interrupted lullaby are sure to get ...more
June
Oct 30, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bedtime and fear requests
Recommended to June by: Polly
A cowboy can't make it through the cows lullaby, because he keeps getting scared. However, he is able to deal with the wolf. My crowd would love the "EeeeekS!" Will have to try in my PJ Story Time.

A huge hit at the Halloween Book and Treat.
Melissa
Jan Thomas is pretty much batting 1000. Can't wait to learn the song to sing in storytime!
Sara
It's Jan Thomas, and it involves singing. That's about all you need to know right there.
Amy Musser
The Brave Cowboy is getting his cows all bedded down for the night by singing them a soothing lullaby. But each time he’s about to say goodnight, he gets scared by sinister looking shadows. Shadows that look like hairy spiders, slithering snakes, and lumbering bears. As with many of Thomas’ other books, this story ends with a humorous twist that will have readers of all ages giggling. The interactive nature of this book makes it a great fit for storytime.

Read More at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://p
Lyn
All of Jan Thomas' books are clever and funny with words beginning readers might recognize. This one is especially good. A cowboy is singing a lullaby to his cows. Unfortunately, he keeps noticing things that frighten him. The cows make him feel better, but when he sees a wolf, they run away. The wolf likes lullabies so all ends well.
Bmack
Theme - Silly, cowboy, lullaby, cows bedtime. The cowboy is singing a night lullaby to the cows and keeps getting scared by things he thinks are scary but are just normal things until the cows see something truly scary!
Veronica
Joanna
This was well-received at the story time I did during Corcoran Family Day. Cartoonish and fun!
Layla & Rachel
We are a big fan of Jan Thomas. While her book Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy is not quite on par with Rhyming Dust Bunnies, it is still delightful.

Spoiler. The Brave Cowboy is not actually brave. He tries to sing a lullaby for the cows and easily get's distracted. Eeeeek! Is that a SLIMY SLITERHING SNAKE right there?!! It's just a STICK, Cowboy. Oh.
And this continues on.

It's a delightful little book, though seems to be missing the spark that Jan Thomas normally has in her books. If
Diane
Always a fun surprise in a Jan Thomas book. They make for fun read alouds.
Mr.andy
Jan Thomas is a delightfully funny writer. this story is full of big laughs
Ashley Stringham
Adorable book. One of Will's all-time favorites.
Susan Erhardt
Very funny -- the kids at storytime loved it.
Jayna
Storytime themes: Cowboys, animals, funny
Melissa
Compare to your favorite elephant & piggie book.
Bridget R. Wilson
The brave cowboy is actually scared. His lullaby for the cows keeps being interrupted because he sees scary things. A fun book with a surprise ending.

What I thought: I've found you can't go wrong with Jan Thomas for preschool story time. My Jan Thomas themed preschool story time was a tremendous hit. Her newest book is great. I can't wait to use it when I have another stuffed animal sleepover. The ending is fantastic, but I won't give it away here.

Story Time Themes: Jan Thomas, Bedtime, Cowboys
Cheryl
I'm sure the target audience loves this, and that's fine.

Somehow, to me, it seems a bit too silly, without any real message or import. I mean, there's a bit of 'don't judge a book by it's cover' at the end, the main idea is about gathering information before reacting blindly, but that's not enough. There are many other books that cover those themes with richer authenticity, and so I give more stars to them and fewer to this.

But you-all have fun with it. :)
Jeremey Olson
A cowboy starts to sing a lullaby to his cows when his is interrupted by becoming afraid of a spider, when the cows point out its only a flower. through the course of the book the cowboy becomes afraid of different things. Read this book an find out with kind of things the Cowboy becomes afraid of and find out if he ever finishes his lullaby with the cows.

Thomas, J. (2012). Let's sing a lullaby with the Brave Cowboy. New York: Beach Lane Books.
Samantha
A bedtime story with a few hilarious false starts. The cowboy starts singing a lullaby to the cows only to be frightened by many objects in his immediate environment. Most of the objects turn out to be something harmless, but when the cowboy finally embraces his confidence something fearful approaches.

GREAT read aloud! I love books that let me scream and make lots of noise when I'm reading them aloud and this book is just that.
Kris
I have an author/illustrator crush on Jan Thomas. I love her bright, bold art, I love her sense of humor. Here, the Brave Cowboy is singing to his sleepy cows, but each time he interrupts his lullaby with an "Eeeeek!" because he's scared of a spider (really a flower) or a snake (it's just a stick.) The twist at the end is just right. I'd love to pair this with "Are You a Horse?" by Andy Rash for a silly cowboy storytime.
Polly
Very funny! Read it with my immigration centre childcare group, and they all loved it. 4 and 5 year old boys (and one girl) from about 7 different countries, all but one of them speaking English as a second language, and they all thought it was great. One of the boys said "it's funny, and it's silly and it's even kind of scary and it made me laugh", which is a pretty fine endorsement
Shelby Usrey
Great book to read before bedtime! Without the amazing illustrations,this book wouldn't be a very good book! There is some poetry in the book which could be introduced to younger children in a classroom. The book could be considered a graphic novel because it has texted bubbles coming from each character when they started speaking! This book is well illustrated and well written.
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • I'm Bored
  • Too Tall Houses
Lives in Socorro, New Mexico.
More about Jan Thomas...
Rhyming Dust Bunnies Can You Make a Scary Face? The Doghouse Is Everyone Ready for Fun? What Will Fat Cat Sit On?