Start by marking “Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy” as Want to Read:
Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy

Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  897 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
This playful picture book with audio from Jan Thomas features a courageous cowboy who croons to his cows before bed—with just a few fearful interruptions.

Join the Brave Cowboy as he tries to sing his young calf pals to sleep on a dark, dark night—EEEEEEEK! IS THAT A HUGE HAIRY SPIDER OVER THERE? Oh, it’s just a flower? Well then, back to the lullaby.
No one does preschool h
Published September 25th 2012 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy

Elisabeth
Oct 06, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
I wish more children's book authors would look to Jan Thomas to see how it's done!
Heidi
Brilliant! Possibly my favorite Jan Thomas so far! Can't wait to read this aloud--complete with my southern/Texas accent. Haven't heard the recording for the song, yet, but I came up with my own tune to sing. This is wonderful and I MUST read at some time in some storytime. All ages should get it, and if read well, it can be fabulously hilarious!

1/16/13 & 1/17/13: Still haven't listened to the recording, so I sang my tune. Had a fun doing so, as well. Kids seemed to enjoy it. And I had them
Becky
Oct 13, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Jan Thomas' IS EVERYONE READY FOR FUN? I really wanted to love her newest book, Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy, just as much. It didn't quite happen. But. I did really enjoy it. I really do love Thomas' cows. They are just so much fun!!! The book begins with a cowboy singing a gentle lullaby to two of his cows, things are going well until....the song gets interrupted...by the cowboy's "EEK!" as the cowboy gets frightened over and over again. The cows do a g ...more
Erin
I'm so bad about recording which picture books I've read in story time and how well they went over! June Krell is great about it though, so June, if you're reading this, I'm going to use you as my inspiration!

9/2014: I've done this one a couple of times, but most recently at an evening PJ story time in September. It went over great, and I think it's a good choice for mixed-age groups like that for a couple of reasons:

It's not super long (so good for a group with toddlers/babies)
Thomas's big, bri
Christine Turner
This playful picture book from Jan Thomas features a courageous cowboy who croons to his cows before bed...with just a few fearful interruptions. Join the Brave Cowboy as he tries to sing his young calf pals to sleep on a dark, dark night...EEEEEEEK! IS THAT A HUGE HAIRY SPIDER OVER THERE? Oh, it's just a flower? Well then, back to the lullaby. No one does preschool humor with Jan Thomas's wit, verve, and bold, snappy color. And her Brave Cowboy and his silly, interrupted lullaby are sure to get ...more
Jenn
Oct 12, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Thought it would be fun to track some of the best children's books we read. This one is by far our favorite right now!
Laurie
Dec 23, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Kristen
I have an author/illustrator crush on Jan Thomas. I love her bright, bold art, I love her sense of humor. Here, the Brave Cowboy is singing to his sleepy cows, but each time he interrupts his lullaby with an "Eeeeek!" because he's scared of a spider (really a flower) or a snake (it's just a stick.) The twist at the end is just right. I'd love to pair this with "Are You a Horse?" by Andy Rash for a silly cowboy storytime.
Vivian
Feb 04, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What fun this book is! The cowboy is singing a lullaby and when he gets to the phrase "It's time for us to say... (and you anticipate or "predict" the next word will be "goodnight") you turn the page and the word is "Eeeeek!" This is rather a surprise jolt for the kids so it's only fair to turn back to the previous page and repeat the last phrase, turn the page, and let all the kids yell "Eeeeeek!" at you. This happens several times in the book.

As it turns out, we shared this book on GROUNDHOG
June
Oct 30, 2014 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bedtime and fear requests
Recommended to June by: Polly
A cowboy can't make it through the cows lullaby, because he keeps getting scared. However, he is able to deal with the wolf. My crowd would love the "EeeeekS!" Will have to try in my PJ Story Time.

A huge hit at the Halloween Book and Treat.
Jeanna
Apr 21, 2016 Jeanna rated it really liked it
This was another one the kids loved. They loved it so much that the 8yo turned it into a play for us all to act out. The hubby was the cowboy, the 5yo was the the cow, I was the surprise creature at the end (can't tell you, it's a spoiler!), and the 8yo was the narrator. The toddler was, well, whatever he wanted to be right then.
The best part of books like this for the kids, I think, is the loud silly words (in this case, "Eek!") that make everyone giggle. There's just something appealing about
Tracey
Feb 27, 2015 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Picture book for reading aloud. This one went over well when I presented to primary grades and even was asked for an encore when I read it during pajama storytime last year (summer reading theme was "animals") and I may revive again for this year (summer reading theme is "music"). Definitely practice a few times to get your melody straight (I just made one up, but the effect is better if you are consistent), and you want to be able to capture those EEEEEKK!s and the various voices just right as ...more
Melissa
Jan Thomas is pretty much batting 1000. Can't wait to learn the song to sing in storytime!
Sara
Jul 23, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
It's Jan Thomas, and it involves singing. That's about all you need to know right there.
Amy Forrester
Mar 07, 2014 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
The Brave Cowboy is getting his cows all bedded down for the night by singing them a soothing lullaby. But each time he’s about to say goodnight, he gets scared by sinister looking shadows. Shadows that look like hairy spiders, slithering snakes, and lumbering bears. As with many of Thomas’ other books, this story ends with a humorous twist that will have readers of all ages giggling. The interactive nature of this book makes it a great fit for storytime.

Read More at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://p
Sara Bland
Apr 28, 2015 Sara Bland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Another great read by Jan Thomas. This book is another example of teaching children not to be afraid or to judge someone by the first impression. In this story the cowboy is trying to sing a lullaby to the cows so that they can go to sleep, but he keeps getting scared! Just when he starts to relax, a big, bad wolf comes up behind them. Not to worry, the wolf loves lullabies. The four of them sleep peacefully after a big group song. I would recommend this book to children in pre-k through 1st gra ...more
Gail Gauthier
May 12, 2016 Gail Gauthier rated it it was amazing
"I'm really liking the bold, not particularly representational, art in these books. This is a bedtime book, and as bedtime books go, it's probably pretty funny. The humor here is around the fact that the cowboy isn't brave. I definitely find incongruity humorous. I wonder at what point kids get that?"

Excerpt from Original Content.
Bmack
Theme - Silly, cowboy, lullaby, cows bedtime. The cowboy is singing a night lullaby to the cows and keeps getting scared by things he thinks are scary but are just normal things until the cows see something truly scary!
Sheri
Mar 01, 2016 Sheri rated it really liked it
This was a funny read about a cowboy putting his cow herd to sleep in song until he fears the dark and what is out there. Good humorous story read aloud and easy with the song repeated 3 times in rhyme.
Traci Bold
Mar 07, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
This goofy picture book had me chuckling right away. A fun bedtime story that embraces common fears and shows a fun outcome.

Written and illustrated by Jan Thomas. Published by Beach Lane Books.
Juliana Lee
Goodnight lullaby with a twist! Cowboy tries repeatedly to sing his cows to sleep, but just before the last word of the song... EEEEKKK! What scared Cowboy so much? Will they ever get the lullaby?
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
This book is very funny. I can see how children would enjoy it as a bedtime story. The ending has a good twist, and I am guessing even with more than one reading it would still bring a good chuckle.
Thuy
Jul 19, 2016 Thuy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
funny. the 2 year old wanted it read again, and was simple to follow the plot. the 5 year old wanted it too since she missed the first part
Maggie KutsBorg
I reserve the right to bump up that 3-star rating if and when I ever read this aloud, because I think it needs a storytime setting to shine.
Veronica
Aug 23, 2014 Veronica rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 07, 2016 Lynn Davidson rated it liked it
Brave cowboy? Well, maybe not so much. This is an amusing story about a cowboy who tries to be brave with the support of friends.
Hannah Moore
Jan 25, 2016 Hannah Moore rated it really liked it
Jan Thomas is one of my favorite picture book authors, and this one didn't disappoint. Silly and perfect for reading out loud.
Becky Carleton
Poor Brave Cowboy. I almost feel sorry for laughing at his antics, but everything works out in the end, so laugh away!
Nancy
Feb 21, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Very cute bedtime story--will definitely elicit giggles from little ones. Available via ebook on READS.
Joanna
This was well-received at the story time I did during Corcoran Family Day. Cartoonish and fun!
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Froodle
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Sleep Like a Tiger
Lives in Socorro, New Mexico.
More about Jan Thomas...