Start by marking “The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses” as Want to Read:
The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses

The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Embark on a methodical, meticulous, and hilarious quest for the perfect pet in this wickedly witty cautionary collection of pet poems.

If you're the type that oohs and aahs
at furry faces, precious paws,
the words ahead may be alarming:
Animals aren't always charming.

If you think you'd like a cute and cuddly pet, you may need to do some research. Formulate a query. Devise a
Published April 2nd 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published February 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Pet Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pet Project

Lisa
It's out! It's out! It's out!
It is still so exciting when a new book is born. I hope everyone enjoys reading it as much as i enjoyed writing it.
Kris
As soon as I picked up this new poetry book, I thought of the animal reports many of my students are doing and I knew I must get this book into the hands of those kids and their teachers! We begin with this ominous verse:

Warning!
If you’re the type who oohs and ahhs
at furry faces, precious paws,
the words ahead may be alarming:
Animals aren’t always charming.

Considering that I’ve been giving stacks of informational animal books to teacher-friends for student research projects, this poetry book come
Sarah Nottingham
The Pet Project by Lisa Wheeler is a narrative poem that tells a story about the process of a little girl getting a pet. I enjoyed this story not only because it was entertaining, but it introduced the scientific method in a creative way. The little girl at the beginning of the book of the book forms a simple hypothesis, I am ready for a pet. Her parents encourage her to do research and have supporting evidence on why she was ready for a pet. She decides to research farm animals over the next co ...more
Carrie Charley Brown
This rhyme pattern showcase is tied together perfectly by the darling premise of a young girl who wants a pet. Her parents require more research before consenting and the girls sets out to explore her options. Lisa Wheeler's mastery of rhyme makes this a perfect mentor text for picture book writers. It seems a likely candidate to accompany every classroom, as well! Kids will love the humor and relate to the main character's plight. The rhymes set great examples and even middle grade rhymers can ...more
Edward Sullivan
A wonderful collection of fun, witty poems about a girl following her parents' suggestion that she take the scientific approach, researching potential animals for pets with hilarious results. Great illustrations by Zachariah OHora.
Vicki Reinhardt
A random book I brought home from the library the other day is titled The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses written by Lisa Wheeler and illustrated by Zachariah O Hora and published through Atheneum Books for Young Readers, copyright 2013. I absolutely loved it! It's excellent. This rhythmical story is a must read! A young girl longs for a pet but her scientific-type parents ask her to do research and write down her observations first. Hilarious. And the illustrator was a perfect pick ...more
Linda
A young girl sets off with her journal looking for the perfect pet, making field observations in verse all along the way. Because her parents are scientists, they insist she do some research before she makes a decision. The journey is filled with her amusing experiences captured as she wanders to a farm, a zoo, and the woods behind her house. Readers will be surprised at her conclusion! The book will be a fun read to introduce how to share one’s adventures by writing in rhyme. One example: “Nev ...more
Jacqueline
Adorable poems about a girl's scientific approach to determining what kind of pet she wants. Love the doggie in backpack illustration.
Barbara
In a series of 27 amusing poems, a young girl follows her parents' suggestion that she investigate all the animals she might consider for a pet before they will agree to adding one to the family. The whole family seems to have a predilection for science, which prompts her to conduct a series of field observations during which she studies the behavior of a cow, a chicken, a pony, among others, before moving on to the zoo and the forest. Since none of those seem suitable, she brings her investigat ...more
Erin Boyington
A little girl wants a pet, and her parents tell her to go do some scientific research to find out which pet is best.

The story takes place all in rhyme, clever and cute as the budding scientist earnestly makes field observations and takes notes of her misadventures with animals that don't make great pets after all:

Upon closer inspection
I smelled dairy air
as the cow dropped a pie at my feet.

She visits a farm, zoo, the woods, and a pet store in her quest, with poems and observations of each type of
Diane
"Warning! Animals aren't always charming."

A little girl wanting a pet is told by her parents to research, formulate a query and observe before making a decision about what kind of pet she should get. The rest of the poems are part of her research journal. She does field observations, a zoological expedition, Woodland naturalistic observations, and home studies. She finds out many disappointing things, including a golden retriever who never brought gold and a starfish that doesn't twinkle. Her fi
Angel Gardner-Kocher
I adore this book! The poems are cute and snarky and I love the investigative journalist theme. The vocabulary in the book is a bit challenging for a picture book. I could see this being used for older grades as a class read-aloud. It definitely fits in with STEM curriculum, especially to explain words like observation, query, formulate.
Mark Nenadov
An excellent book of DOGgerel (no pen intended). This is truly a book after my own heart, and a wonderful "out loud" read.

Some of the verse is a bit strained, but overall it is fantastic. The basic concept is an exposition of why no pet is perfect.

For instance, the skunk:

"With lovely face and fluffy tail,
the she-skunk seeks to meet a male,
No matter what the he-skunk thinks,
I think the she-skunk truly stinks"

And the cat:

"Pitter-patter pampered paws,
ripping razor cutting claws,
pretty, pinky, pouty
Teresa
While many of the poems were cute and/or fun (my favorites being the ones about turtle and the gerbil), some parts, for me, lacked a coherent logic as promised by the original premise. Overall, though, I like it well enough.
Leslie
A story, told in verse, of a young girl who embarks on a scientific project to determine which animal would be the best pet for her. Adorable illustrations and verses come up with a satisfying conclusion.
Scott
While the story flows very nicely, the poems stand very well on their own too. The illustrations match the independence of our young protagonist, with rhymes that feel natural and clever.
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

This is a really enjoyable picture book. The poems follow on from each other, creating a narrative, and are jam-packed with funny observations from the intrepid little investigator searching out the perfect candidate for pet-hood. The length of the text and the format would probably be more suited to young independent readers, or alternately, make it a great option for a classroom read-aloud on the subject of taking a scientific approach to
Maija
Cute and astute. Finding just the right pet can be hard and she even found one that quotes the Bard!
Scottsdale Public Library
A sensational scientific selection process for the perfect pet. -Monty K.
Cute poems, not a huge fan of the message. I love pets!
Sammy
Adorable. A must read for any science loving kid.
Linda
The concept of the girl doing research to find the perfect pet is appealing, and something my father made me do as a child, in order to prove to him that I was ready to buy a horse. The poetry is uneven in quality--some is quite good and funny, some just doesn't quite click.
I'm a little disappointed in so many references to the animals' peeing and pooing, although that is definitely a major downside to pet ownership. Some of the poems were a bit negative. But that said, it's a fun concept and so
Megan
Very cute. Love the ending.
Liz B
Neat picture book about a scientifically-minded young girl who explores the pros and cons of various pets. (And mostly discusses the cons.) I loved the illustrations, and I enjoyed how the whole story was an unusual approach to writing about animals for children.
Bethe
what a dilemma - what pet to pick? I enjoyed the small dog page, thinking first of the dog and not herself like with some other of the pet choices. Love the research and field notes, most of the verses flow well, the illustrations are comical (although the bunnies are referred to as Vikings - wish their pictures showed them with the hats with horns). Should be a great read aloud, especially for older children. The Disappointments page would be good for a multiple meaning or idioms lesson.
Sandy Brehl
Lisa Wheeler's pizzazz is undeniable, and the quirky twist in this poetry collection is the underlying story. When a girls asks her science-minded parents for a pet, they make it an inquiry-based mission for her to study and make notes on various possibilities. The search takes her to farm, zoo, woods, home, pet store, and ends with a wise conclusion. Excellent comic model of science investigations/notes and much high level vocabulary is included in the mostly tight and well-metered poems.
Samantha
When a little girl asks her parents for a pet they challenge her to do her research and find the best pet for herself. What follows are a series of poems about farm, zoo, woodland animals and more that in one way or another aren't the right kind of pet to get.

Funny poems about a huge range of animals set against acrylic illustrations.

I have too many favorites to list, but Pony, Hippopotamus and Polar Bear are fun.
Karla
I LOVED this story-book-of-poems. A little girl who wants a pet is told by her parents to do some research first. She observes farm animals, zoo animals, woodland creatures, pet store pets, and more before finally making her decision... a wonderful, twist ending that I won't share because I don't want to be a SPOILER! Funny, must-read-out-loud-able poems with clever illustrations... this is on my recommend list!
Carol
Cute illustrations accompany a variety of poems that together tell the story of one little girl's quest for the perfect pet. Several poetic styles are used to describe the pros and cons of each creature she encounters. As with any poetry collection, some are better than others. Yet as a whole this picture book is entertaining as they all work together to tell the story. The end is wonderful.
Kim Patton
Amusing poems about a girl doing research required by her parents in order to find a pet. She goes to the farm (Chances of getting a hippo? Zippo), the zoo, the woods, and even to the pet store and finds the trouble with every animal she encounters. A unique twist to the normal animal poems. This would be fun to kick off an animal research project for a classroom.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
  • Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse
  • Pug: And Other Animal Poems
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • Step Gently Out
  • Papa's Mechanical Fish
  • I Haiku You
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
Jazz Baby Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story Boogie Knights Ugly Pie