Start by marking “Red Hat” as Want to Read:
Red Hat

Red Hat

A series of exuberant read-aloud sound effects perfectly capture the whimsy and joy of a springtime frolic in this companion to Red Sled.In this almost wordless springtime picture book, an adorable crew of baby animals borrows a familiar-looking red hat (last seen on the head of Red Sled’s unsuspecting protagonist) and embarks on a joy-filled escapade—until all that is lef ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Red Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Hat

Richie Partington
Mar 03, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: RED HAT by Lita Judge, Atheneum, March 2013, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-4232-0

"Hiii-ya!"

Oh, my gosh. RED HAT is so much fun and it does so many great things so well.

"Yoo-ha!"

A story told through images and exuberant sounds, RED HAT is a tale of animal hijinks that begins with a knitted red hat that a child has left hanging to dry on a makeshift clothesline.

"Roweeeee"

Baby Bear grabs the hat from the line and takes off. Back in my childcare center days, I would refer to these sorts of
Connie Klever
Really cute story about a bear and his animal friends who have fun playing with a red stocking cap bear finds on the clothesline. As the animals enjoy the "toy" hat, it begins to unravel causing animals to get tied up and bear worries the human it belongs to will be angry, but as it turns out bear has nothing to worry about. Great book for dialogic reading both individually and storytime. Nice large text and illustrations.
Mary
Apr 04, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Another fun wordless (except for the sounds) book from Lita Judge. The animals take the child's red hat from the clothesline and play with it until it becomes completely unraveled. Momma bear makes them give it back, but it's now one long string.

The sounds were unusual and appropriate, and I knew EXACTLY how "Doot-do-doo..." should sound.
Anne
Mar 19, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
For me, Red Sled is more successful, but this is a fun complement for the spring and summer seasons. My storytime kids love Red Sled, and I'm sure they will like this one as well.
Karen A.
Mar 29, 2013 Karen A. rated it liked it
Not as much fun as Red Sled but still engaging and lots of onomatopoeia. I can see this wrapping up a nice storytime with Jan Brett's 'The Mitten'.
Caroline
Mar 15, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
Nearly wordless but absolutely delightful. Pair with Extra Yarn, Penguin and Pinecone and Duck Sock Hop for a well knit storytime!
Jillian Heise
An almost wordless book. Wasn't sure at first, but once I saw where it went, was enchanted by the joyful ending.
Diane
Mar 17, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Told mostly through pictures, this book is about a little girl who hangs a red hat on the line to dry. Animals joyously play with the hat until it is nothing but unraveled string. That's when the animals return the hat. But never fear, in a "tink-a-tink tink" the little girl has knitted the hat back together again ... and a few more for her friends.

The illustrations of the animals at play are delightful with interjections like "whoa", "fffwwup", "wow-za" and "Doot-do-doo" that students will enjo
Tasha
May 01, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book is a companion to Red Sled. It features that same red hat that was in the first book, but here it is no longer winter and the hat is washed and hung up to dry on the line. That’s when it is spotted by an eager bear, who snatches it off the line and runs off with it. But he is not alone, as he dashes, other animals pull and tug, freeing the white pompom and unraveling the bright red yarn as they play. They leave the mass of yarn hung on the line in place of the hat! But don’t wo ...more
Traci Bold
Feb 09, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
'Red Hat' and 'Red Sled' by author/illustrator Lita Judge are perfect examples of picture books being enhanced with very little text using sounds to go with the beautiful illustration story that unfolds. A true exercise of reading with your eyes.

Both books are delightful with a young child as a part of the troupe of characters that make these books endearing and sweet.

Published by Atheneum Books for Young Readers.

#red
#PB
LaToya Hixon
This story is so beautifully illustrated with fun simple sounds with each illustration.This promoted conversation about what the animals were doing and ended with playing with hats. A fun book to add to the collection. I would read this to my students to show the differnt animals and the ending with the little girl after she see her hat.
Barbara
Even the warmest, most favorite of red knit hats eventually must be washed and hung out to dry. In this case, though, the hat with its bobbing cottontail is just too appealing to be left alone by the playful animals that live nearby. A bear, rabbits, a raccoon, and other wildlife get in on the action, snatching and tossing the hat until it has completely unraveled. When the little girl whose hat they've demolished sees it, she doesn't become upset. Instead, she sits right down in the yard and kn ...more
Rachel
Jul 21, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, 2015
Splendid title that requires few words, brilliant art, a handful of sounds and much character. What happens when you grab a hold of something that doesn't belong to you & go out for some fun? Such a great connection with Red Sled and so many possibilities for extension activities, too. Highly recommend.
Karen
Jun 19, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week.

Um. The story was kind of cute, and the illustrations were adorable, but I just didn't love this book. I guess I kept thinking of the ways this book could have been SO much better and more engaging.

Rob Thelen
May 04, 2014 Rob Thelen rated it really liked it
Red Hat by Lita Judge is unique book that incorporates both sound words and detailed illustrations to tell the story of a red hat. As a teacher, this would be an excellent resource to teach onomatopoeia, or how illustrations can add to the meaning of a book.
Dolly
Apr 19, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2013
This is a mostly wordless tale that includes quite a few onomatopoeic sounds throughout. It features the characters from the book Red Sled.

The story is quite humorous and reminds us somewhat of the book The Mitten by Jim Aylesworth. Overall, it's a short, but entertaining story told through the pictures. We enjoyed reading this book together - our girls took turn narrating the pages and they really loved making the different sounds. My favorite was the "Doot-do-doo" part.

Marcia
Cute woodland animals snatch a red hat hanging on the clothesline. As they play with it zipping through the forest it unravels. Don't worry, al ends warmly. A fun story for the very young, and would play nicely off a version of The Mitten.
Stephanie Croaning
This story is a combination of Jan Brett's THE MITTEN and the author's previous work RED SLED. I absolutely loved RED SLED, but felt this story wasn't quite as unique or engaging. However, it is still a very cute wordless picture book.
Jodie
Animals have fun with a red hat in this nearly wordless book. They take the hat from a clothes line and put whats left of it back when they are done. Fun story that you could use with students to make predictions.
Linda
Author of the Red Sled tells a second “red” story about a young boy who leaves his red stocking hat on a line to dry outside. This ‘almost’ wordless picture book tells what happens after that as various animals play with it. Unfortunately, it begins to unravel and at the end, all that is left is a pile of tangled yarn. I love the beautiful full-page pictures of the outdoors, and the bear, raccoon and rabbits. The sole text are words spoken byt the animals as they play with the hat, like “roweeee ...more
Judy Lindow
Dec 21, 2013 Judy Lindow rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books

The unspoken message was done nicely and that is that the animals and the child have this shared experience of loving the color red and in the end, also of liking to be warm in the cold. This is shown through pictures and sounds. Although the animals are quite anthropomorphized the joy of life is expressed hugely and with lots of movement - which will delight a young child.

They got the age right at 2-5 years old and that's probably why I wouldn't seek this book out (I usually work with K-5). Al
June
Mar 17, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hat requests and Judge and Red Sled fans
A wonderful follow up to Red Sled. Pictures and sounds tell this story of a red hat "borrowed" by some baby animals, until mother bear has them return the red yarn, which is all that is left. The child knits the animals something of their own. 3/14/13

This went over surprisingly well at Lap Time. 3/18/14

Selected at Read Aloud time. 3/22/14

Great PJ group where one boy really got into the story and was into telling what was happening and they all enjoyed the sounds. 3/9/15

Used for Lap Time again an
Miss Sarah
Jan 29, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hats
I'm not a big no word book fan but this was ok about a hat that keeps getting moved from one animal to other. There are a few words of animal noises.
Paula
In this almost wordless picture book, a troupe of baby forest animals borrows a child's hat, until all that is left is a long piece of red string.
Jun 10, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I love the work of this author and illustrator, and I enjoyed her version of the story of animals sharing a hat belonging to a boy.
Liz Todd
Mar 02, 2015 Liz Todd rated it really liked it
Absolutely ADORABLE. I want to hug and love every one of those naughty little creatures.

Ok, not perfectly wordless, but virtually so.
carissa
In this almost wordless springtime picture book, an adorable crew of baby animals borrows a familiar-looking red hat (last seen on the head of Red Sled’s unsuspecting protagonist) and embarks on a joy-filled escapade—until all that is left is a long piece of red string! Their playful romp is gorgeously depicted in bold watercolor and complemented by humorous ex
Hannah
Caldecott Nominee 2014. This book made me happy. I chortled with mirth seeing the expressions on each of the animals faces, the antics they were getting into, and the joy in their eyes. Well illustrated, and told entirely in onomatopoeia, this is just worth taking 30 seconds to read.
Susan  Person
Fun mostly wordless picture book. Not so great for story time, but to share one on one for sure. Author of Red Sled.
Bree
Apr 27, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
wordless except for sound effects
not as good as Red Sled
  • Flora and the Penguin
  • Tiptoe Joe
  • The Umbrella
  • Here I Am
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Flood