The Death of Cool: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood

The Death of Cool: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Gavin McInnes is more than just a rude lunatic who keeps getting beat up. He is an icon who personifies irreverence for an entire generation. This is his story, or, rather, stories—lots of them, and all gut-punchingly hilarious, from that first far reach into a girl’s tight jeans to turning forty with a cataclysmic party. In between you’ll rea...more
Published July 16th 2013 by Scribner (first published March 20th 2012)

Kevin Sexton
I finished this book within 36 hours of buying it.
McIness explore his life through a series of insane stories that are sometimes laugh-out-loud funny and sometimes totally disgusting (an entire chapter focuses on an old man's explosive diarrhea), but always compelling and honest. He captures the blind stupidity of teenagers better than anyone and from there, he just kept me hooked.
The parts about Vice are interesting, but that's almost a side note to a weirdly inspiring history of a wise-ass pu...more
Andrew Tollemache
Nice little memoir of the Cool/Party days of Vice co-founder Gavin Mcinness. What starts out as a series of ever more insane anecdotes from his early days in Canada, the founding of Vice and his antics on the NYC scene from 2000-2010, ends up as a poignant exposition on life and adulthood. Gavin presses the case for having as wild a time as one can (and boy does he ever) to then settling down and focusing 100% on being a parent/ grown up. So the NYC partying wild-man, who was the Vice magazine I...more
Jen Dee
Wow. Do most people grow up like this? I was a good girl, so this wasn't my life, but it makes me wonder, how many adolescents were concentrated on slamming as much alcohol and drugs in their systems as they could take while simultaneously risking their lives with stupid stunts and insanely unsafe sex every second of their lives?
I guess this book is supposed to be shockingly funny, I found there was little of either of those adjectives in it. I *did* choke and almost die from laughing from a few...more
Stuart Gill
Interesting book about the life of the creator of Vice magazine. Short chapters, easy read. Not for the easily offended.
Matt Fine
It's a bunch of anecdotes from the dude who started Vice. Some of them are absurdly entertaining and will make you laugh, others are retrospective, some disgusting but all add up to a great quick read.
Monika
I found myself laughing at his absurdity and rooting for his assholeishness. Each half hour read is an adventure in itself. Through the drugs, sex, and antics, it's a refreshing reminder you can do whatever you want with your life. Reminds me a lot of Jim Morrison.. as much as I admire him I probably would have disliked him if I met him in person. This book provided some laugh out loud chuckles and brutal honesty!
Daniel DeLappe
Very interesting read but not for the faint of heart. Balls to the wall honesty about ones life can at times get a bit ugly. Loved the writing. The story sounds very familiar. Some times a little to close to home. Defiantly worth your time. My favorite part. Pissing on Bill Mahar's leg (figuratively that is)
Darren
Very entertaining tales of profound debauchery. Much of it is horrifying and offensive but it's leavened by the quality of the writing. McInnes could well be a terrible person but he can certainly write.
Andre
This Means More When You've Grown Up In NY As I Have. Been To The Same Spots, And Experienced The Same Things. An Accurate Description Of NY Life From A Canadian.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Caleb Robinson
Caleb Robinson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Tim O'donnell
Tim O'donnell marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Dan Rogers
Dan Rogers marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Duane Bunt
Duane Bunt marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Jeff Hersh
Jeff Hersh is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Hiland
Hiland is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2014
Craig Diego
Craig Diego marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Damien Garcia
Damien Garcia marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Jesse Espinosa
Jesse Espinosa marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood Street Boners: 1,764 Hipster Fashion Jokes Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques Completely Pip and Norton: Volume One The Vice Guide to Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll