Start by marking “The Death of Cool: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood” as Want to Read:
The Death of Cool: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood

The Death of Cool: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Gavin McInnes is more than just a rude lunatic who keeps getting beat up. He is an icon who personifies irreverence for an entire generation. This is his story, or, rather, stories—lots of them, and all gut-punchingly hilarious, from that first far reach into a girl’s tight jeans to turning forty with a cataclysmic party. In between you’ll read about acid trips, threesomes ...more
Published July 16th 2013 by Scribner (first published March 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Cool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Cool

Kevin Sexton
I finished this book within 36 hours of buying it.
McIness explore his life through a series of insane stories that are sometimes laugh-out-loud funny and sometimes totally disgusting (an entire chapter focuses on an old man's explosive diarrhea), but always compelling and honest. He captures the blind stupidity of teenagers better than anyone and from there, he just kept me hooked.
The parts about Vice are interesting, but that's almost a side note to a weirdly inspiring history of a wise-ass pu
Andrew Tollemache
Nice little memoir of the Cool/Party days of Vice co-founder Gavin Mcinness. What starts out as a series of ever more insane anecdotes from his early days in Canada, the founding of Vice and his antics on the NYC scene from 2000-2010, ends up as a poignant exposition on life and adulthood. Gavin presses the case for having as wild a time as one can (and boy does he ever) to then settling down and focusing 100% on being a parent/ grown up. So the NYC partying wild-man, who was the Vice magazine I ...more
Bookcase Jim
I laughed, almost gagged, felt inspired, got a bit sad, reflected on life, and then I moved on.
It's a nice easy read, and interesting when you balance it with modern Gavin's take on things (if you happen stay up to date with his social commentary especially).
If you're offended by it you're an idiot (how can anyone be offended by somebody's life, after all), but I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Michael Nazari
A good judge of how much I like a book is by how quick I read it. The Death of Cool took me 3 days. Beneath the crazy anecdotes and wild happening in Gavin McInnes' life there's a lesson I learned. Don't live life with any reservations. Don't be afraid to try anything out. In addition to the lesson there are a good amount of laughs and moments that make you cringe.
Tripp Potts
From the sex stories, tales of drug use, to the conception of Vice, this book has a lot of content. It's not necessarily the deepest read, but it's fun and quick. I read it during the first half of my spring break.
I think that some people could be turned off by the crudeness, but if you know who Gavin is, it shouldn't really matter anyways.
Jen Dee
Wow. Do most people grow up like this? I was a good girl, so this wasn't my life, but it makes me wonder, how many adolescents were concentrated on slamming as much alcohol and drugs in their systems as they could take while simultaneously risking their lives with stupid stunts and insanely unsafe sex every second of their lives?
I guess this book is supposed to be shockingly funny, I found there was little of either of those adjectives in it. I *did* choke and almost die from laughing from a few
Brian Koob
This book is the equivalent of a Christiano Rinaldo making a museum about himself midway through his career, except that Gavin McInnes is not one of the worlds best soccer players. Although I like Vice, I think both subjects are somewhat obnoxious.
I do not see the point of the book, but did get some good insight into the life of someone growing up, some history of VICE, and some good laughs.
Ben Winterman
At times he seems a bit braggadocios about his exploits, but it is a really funny and interesting story about how this very polarizing dude became who he is.
Betsy
Couldn't finish it. The language and crudeness did not bother me, however, I just did not find it interesting or entertaining.
Stuart Gill
Interesting book about the life of the creator of Vice magazine. Short chapters, easy read. Not for the easily offended.
Douglas Profenius
Gavin is an icon and arguably the creator of the modern day "hipster." Fun read.
Matt Fine
It's a bunch of anecdotes from the dude who started Vice. Some of them are absurdly entertaining and will make you laugh, others are retrospective, some disgusting but all add up to a great quick read.
Monika
I found myself laughing at his absurdity and rooting for his assholeishness. Each half hour read is an adventure in itself. Through the drugs, sex, and antics, it's a refreshing reminder you can do whatever you want with your life. Reminds me a lot of Jim Morrison.. as much as I admire him I probably would have disliked him if I met him in person. This book provided some laugh out loud chuckles and brutal honesty!
Daniel DeLappe
Very interesting read but not for the faint of heart. Balls to the wall honesty about ones life can at times get a bit ugly. Loved the writing. The story sounds very familiar. Some times a little to close to home. Defiantly worth your time. My favorite part. Pissing on Bill Mahar's leg (figuratively that is)
Darren
Very entertaining tales of profound debauchery. Much of it is horrifying and offensive but it's leavened by the quality of the writing. McInnes could well be a terrible person but he can certainly write.
Andre
This Means More When You've Grown Up In NY As I Have. Been To The Same Spots, And Experienced The Same Things. An Accurate Description Of NY Life From A Canadian.
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Maxwell
Maxwell marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Rejuiviastal
Rejuiviastal marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Marko
Marko marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Ravi Desai
Ravi Desai marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Lindsey G
Lindsey G is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Aisling
Aisling is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Kati Megale
Kati Megale marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood Street Boners: 1,764 Hipster Fashion Jokes Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques Completely Pip and Norton: Volume One The Vice Guide to Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll