Start by marking “The Shadow Catcher: A U.S. Agent Infiltrates Mexico's Deadly Crime Cartels” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Catcher: A U.S. Agent Infiltrates Mexico's Deadly Crime Cartels

The Shadow Catcher: A U.S. Agent Infiltrates Mexico's Deadly Crime Cartels

Living under an assumed identity and risking his life were all in a day’s work for U.S. Government Agent Hipolito Acosta. He worked regularly in high-stakes undercover operations infiltrating Mexico’s murderous immigrant smuggling rings and drug cartels.

Acosta’s investigations are legendary, both inside law enforcement and the crime cartels he helped neutralize. He had hi
Published April 17th 2012 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Catcher

David
May 03, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There has been lots of talk about the Immigration Policies of the United States lately. Most of the talk comes from each end of the spectrum - receive them all with open arms OR send them all back. I view this issue from a Kingdom of God with Christ as King worldview which causes me to reject both ends of the argument and seek a reasonable middle ground. I am also interested in hearing from those with much deeper experiences, which led me to this book.

The author jumps into the problem of human s
Paul Pessolano
“The Shadow Catcher” by Hipolito Acosta with Lisa Pulitzer, published by Atria Books.

Category – True Crime

This is the story of Hipolito Acosta from being raised in a Texas migrant worker family until his retirement from the Department of Homeland Security.

Acosta, after several meaningless jobs and a stint in the United States Navy, joined the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service as a Border Patrol Agent.

Illegal Immigration from Mexico is big time business. Illegals not only include Mexica
Joe
Feb 02, 2013 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story and events of the author's life makes this book very interesting, however it seems to be self congratulatory and self-serving in a way that is unnecessary and somewhat irritating. The actions and stories speak for themselves, I don't need to hear him describe what a good job he did or why the missions succeeded because of his efforts and not those around him.
Beyond that, the book does provide a very interesting look into the world of illegal immigration and human smuggling. I enjoyed r
Iain  McKnight
Mr.Acosta, takes you behind the walls of justice and human smuggling, the under cover missions he was involved with and the lifestyle he had to adapt to. Was a good read on one side, showing how Hipolito climbs the agency ladder, his undeniable heart and passion for his job and the people he would yes ship back to Mexico, but also helped some stay, yet on the other side, showing how inhumanity rears its ugly head again how some of the people smuggled are treated.
I thought maybe the book would d
Kathleen
Dec 19, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of interesting stories about working undercover in and out of Mexico.

It also leaves out vast swatches of this agent's career, and it generally reads as though dictated into a tape recorder. I felt as though I knew some of the whats but not a lot of the whys about Hipolito Acosta's life, so he was difficult to connect with.

What stuck out for me most, however, was how Acosta's career highlights the amazing amount of resources wasted on enforcement of things that really shouldn'
Mike
Apr 10, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had the pleasure of hearing a few of Hipolito Acosta's stories in person and have witnessed first hand the respect and admiration he receives from men and women who have worked with him. Hipolito is a take action kind of guy and he doesn't take no for an answer. The book is an easy read that focuses on the human drama he witnesses during his time as an undercover agent. I recommend it to anyone interested in True Crime.
Clint
Former Federal Agent, Hipolito Acosta, gives an insightful look into the world of human smuggling. Acosta had an interesting career and earned many accolades for his investigations and undercover operations. I think he does a great job of telling his life story. He was a very brave man who risked his life many times to help bring fugitives to justice and enforce U.S. laws.
Dean
Dec 13, 2013 Dean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and educational. It acquaints the reader with the structure and inner workings of the underground world of human trafficking as it relates to the Mexico/United States border. The author/agent is impressed with himself and it detracts from the presentation a bit. It was an easy read.
Quennie Bean
Dec 29, 2015 Quennie Bean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, moving and heartbreaking. The insight from a border patrol agent that we usually don't get to hear. The fight over our border and illegal immigrants crossing is a never-ending struggle.
Nathan Crumback
Jun 06, 2012 Nathan Crumback rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great insight to what goes on for both sides of the law. He makes a great point on how you feel for these people but they are still breaking the law.
Smuggs
Mar 27, 2014 Smuggs is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book boring. It is rare that I don't finish a book. Sad part is I really wanted this to be a great read. My opinion only.
Reyna Grande
I really wanted to like the book, but I found myself not really connecting with the narrator and not being fully engaged with the story.
Chris
An interesting account of a United States Patrol Officer who infiltrates Mexican cartels and shares the harsh reality of illegal immigration.
Clint Priest
Stories from a former immigration officer and his undercover exploits. Very interesting perspective, though I expected more violence than described. Still good.
Tessa Alderton
Tessa Alderton rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Laura rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2013
BillyPilgrim
BillyPilgrim rated it it was ok
May 08, 2012
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Alam Lule
Alam Lule rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Majorie bastardo
Majorie bastardo rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
gfratantoni
gfratantoni rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Wolfe
Wolfe rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Casey
Casey rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2013
Charley
Charley rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2016
Elinor
Elinor rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Brendan
Brendan rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Kit Lange
Kit Lange rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
James Cole
James Cole rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Allie Yungclas
Allie Yungclas rated it it was ok
May 24, 2013