Start by marking “The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): Urban Adventure - Wilderness Survival - Disaster Preparedness” as Want to Read:

Whether you’re lost in the woods, facing an armed insurrection, or preparing for a hurricane, the experts at Outdoor Life magazine are the people you want on your side. This book is the one you need if you want to protect your family, save yourself, and prevail over any danger.Your Go-To Guide for Surviving Anything

GET READY, GET SET, SURVIVE!

You're lost in the woods with
Published May 15th 2012 by Weldon Owen

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life)

Birgit
Jun 02, 2012 Birgit rated it really liked it
If you're reading this review that means you must be alive. Congratulations! You are already following the Number One Rule for survival - Staying Alive! In his book The Ultimate Survival Manual Rich Johnson offers a comprehensive guide that will prepare you for all those pesky eventualities such as being mauled by a bear, finding yourself in a workplace shooting or making it through a mud slide.
Packed into four big chapters - Essentials, Wilderness, Disaster, Urban - this short yet informative g
Nadia
Jul 18, 2012 Nadia rated it it was amazing
The Ultimate Survival Manual by Rich Johnson

The book will come in very handy to anyone. Included are survival skills in the wilderness, disasters, and urban. The inclusion of urban interested me. I had not realized this would in a survival manual though I know survival skills for urban living.

This title is packed full of wonderful pictures and hints for rough situations. It includes an essentials list for home, work and on the road for preparedness. The manual includes many handy tips from how t
R.Z.
May 11, 2012 R.Z. rated it it was amazing
An amazing compilation of 333 survival skills that you may need if you are in a sticky Wilderness, Disaster, or Urban situation. The in-color illustrations and diagrams are excellent for each skill being taught and are fun to peruse even for us couch potatoes and dreamers of adventure. For writers of adventure or mystery stories and novels, this book is a reference must!

The how-to instructions are limited to one page or less for each skill so may not be as detailed as some would-be adventurers
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
I received this book to review through Netgalley. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for it.

Review:

First off before I say anything else, I want to express that I am really critical of Survival Books before I purchase them. I as an average citizen should be able to reference the book and be able to survive by following the content inside. I do not feel that I would safely be able to keep not only myself alive but those around me with this book. With that out of the way,
Kamrin Duncan
Sep 14, 2016 Kamrin Duncan rated it really liked it
Has a lot of good techniques and tricks for wilderness, urban, and disaster survival, but if your already familiar with survival techniques it was more of a refresher.
Sara Thompson
Jun 14, 2012 Sara Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Great Book! My only disappointment was that my E-ARC was missing pages so I didn’t get the entire manuscript.

Rich Johnson has written an entertaining and informative guide to survival. I’m big on survival information and I know that not everyone is. This is an important book because we are in an environment that is unstable. You don’t have to go out in the wilderness to be in a situation that requires survival techniques. There’s a chance that there is a large amount of information in this book
Rose
Sep 10, 2012 Rose rated it really liked it
I have read a few preparedness/survival manuals and must say this is an excellent one. The layout is clean which, added to the logical order, makes the book easy to read. The author stresses a small number of basic rules and shows a sense of humor (Rule #1 for survival: Stay alive.). Survival in an urban environment is not something found in all survival manuals but the truth is that in the US many of us would be faced with exactly that situation; this is one of three sections including ...more
Jessica
Jul 18, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

Can I tell you how stoked I am about this book? I am a bit obsessed with preparedness and survival techniques, so my family and I will be ready for when disaster strikes. And living under the Mt. Vesuvius (of Pompeii fame), makes being prepared not only practical, but very wise. The volcano is due for another eruption any time now. The Navy base I live on pushes preparedness constantly. Skills 164-166 deal with volcanic eruptions.
This manual doesn't just inform you
Lana
May 29, 2016 Lana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: be-prepared
Great book on preparedness and survival. The focus is on skills and actions to escape various situations and avoid trouble, also helping loved ones or bystanders do the same. It includes preparedness basics, wilderness situations, urban survival (mostly crime situations), specific natural disasters. The book has a high visual appeal, beautiful photos, and good organization so you can read a bit at a time and choose any topic you want or just browse. The tips are usually brief but some of the ...more
William Crosby
Jul 05, 2013 William Crosby rated it it was ok
I found the suggestions to be occasionally interesting, but often they were incomplete and inadequate (for example, "get to a hospital" was a continuous suggestion).

An example of an inadequate suggestion: they said that if you are dying of thirst that you can drink your own urine, as long as you filter it. But there were no instructions as to what to filter it with and what is considered a good filter. And what exactly is supposed to be filtered out that is bad? If the ammonia, then how? And, if
Josh.s
Oct 28, 2013 Josh.s rated it it was amazing
I thought that this survival guide was very informative for someone who knows about the wild or would also be easy enough for someone that isn't used to being in the outdoors to learn about survival techniques. The book had many different types of survival techniques anywhere from ways to survive a bear attack from different ways to start a fire. It also tells about important gear you would want to take in order to survive many different situation. I thought that it was interesting enough to ...more
Mark
May 03, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: enlightening
This is the kind of book I would actually buy because it's a reference that you shouldn't read through in one sitting, but refer to over and over to refresh and reassess your knowledge. Truly varied in the situations it covers, it is a useful resource not only for Boy Scouts and outdoorsy folks, but for anyone who realizes that our way of life is a fragile network that can be thrown out of whack with one flat tire, and maybe we should have a backup plan for stuff that can come up, even if it ...more
Gregory
May 31, 2013 Gregory rated it really liked it
Ever have those moments when you fully buy into the conspiracy theorists apocalypse of the moment? This is the book that will be your perfect companion. Be careful as you read it as at some point you are probably going to go into full MRE obtaining, cistern filling, bunker building panic. Enjoy >:)
Jessie Radford
Jan 02, 2016 Jessie Radford rated it it was amazing
I know it might seem like a strange book to start off the new year with but, there was some very interesting and useful information in here. I learned some advice and tricks I had never heard of before. I know now that if there were ever a black out I could at least keep my phone charged hehe. But seriously, worth a look through you would be surprised at what may come in handy in the future.
Lavabearian (Jessica)
Aug 30, 2012 Lavabearian (Jessica) rated it really liked it
Shelves: quick-picks-2013
Ken Garrett
May 14, 2015 Ken Garrett rated it did not like it
This is a silly little book, which, at one point, suggests that on a desert isle, in a pinch, coconut halves may be used as a bra.(#131) For better information, I imagine a military training text might be more useful.
Robert Hauptman
Feb 12, 2013 Robert Hauptman rated it really liked it
If you are afraid of Zombie attacks, Bombs, Terrorists or what ever might happen, this book is a must read. It is a common sense guide with ideas of how to be prepared to "rough it" in case you, your family or your friends may someday have to do!
James Wataba
Jan 26, 2014 James Wataba rated it it was amazing
Very useful and informative, especially with all the pictures. While this book does focus on survival, its relevance extends far beyond the type of die-hard preppers you see on TV. This book is useful to anyone, especially if you often find yourself in or near nature.
Richie Puleo
Nov 12, 2013 Richie Puleo rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys knowing about the outdoors. In this book you can learn about how to survive any survival situation. You will learn how to survive a natural disaster to escaping a tsunami and much more.
Dawn
Oct 07, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway! It was a really fun book to read through. I didn't read through everything, but only just opened random pages to look at. Great coffee table or bathroom book! It is not super detailed, but gives a nice general idea on how to survive. I liked it.
Jake Johnson
Sep 26, 2014 Jake Johnson rated it liked it
Lots of quick tips and tricks with pretty pictures. Reads similar to a "Guinness Book of World Records" book with short blurbs for each "Skill".
Christine
Jul 16, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Great photos and drawings and oodles of potential situations and survival techniques. Almost a bit overwhelming.
Cloay
Oct 29, 2012 Cloay rated it really liked it
- available in SG NLB 613.69 (Sengkang)

- informative, good for casual reading on the sofa. The book is too heavy to carry along during emergency.
Christine Mack
Feb 20, 2013 Christine Mack rated it it was amazing
This was the best overall survivalist book I have seen. It was easy to navigate and had a ton of useful information. I may get a couple more copies to make sure one copy is in my car and at work.
Joshua Banfill
Joshua Banfill rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Kellie Tarter
Kellie Tarter rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
J Roberts (kgm3boys)
J Roberts (kgm3boys) rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
Challis
Challis rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Alesia McFarlane
Alesia McFarlane rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Welven
Welven rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Total Gun Manual (Field & Stream): 271 Skills from Field & Stream’s Gun Nuts
  • The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • The Memory of Water
  • Spinach Soup for the Walls
  • Tangled Roots: The Appalachian Trail and American Environmental Politics
  • Fall Walk
  • May This Be the Best Year of Your Life: A Memoir
  • Sail Away: Journeys of a Merchant Seaman
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Strange Stories, Amazing Facts