Start by marking “Creepy Carrots!” as Want to Read:
Creepy Carrots!

Creepy Carrots!

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,144 Ratings  ·  980 Reviews
The Twilight Zone comes to the carrot patch in this clever picture book parable about a rabbit who fears his favorite treats are out to get him. Jasper Rabbit loves carrots—especially Crackenhopper Field carrots.

He eats them on the way to school.

He eats them going to Little League.

He eats them walking home.

Until the day the carrots start following him...or are they?

Celebra
Published August 21st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Creepy Carrots!, please sign up.

Maria If the 7-8YO is at the "typical" reading level, this may be a bit young for her/him. This is more in my 5YO's lane.
Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettAnd Then It's Spring by Julie FoglianoGreen by Laura Vaccaro SeegerThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William JoyceThis is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
2013 Mock Caldecott
11th out of 97 books — 241 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
20th out of 343 books — 353 voters

More lists with this book...

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Plot : To be honest, my pupils weren't completely engrossed by the story : Jasper the rabbit, who looooves eating carrots, starts noticing that he is stalked by... creepy carrots. Of course as usual with this kind of storyline, nobody believes him and his stalkers disappear as soon as he turns...

MWAHAHAHAHAHA. Quite fun, but not that original. This being said, the twist in the end is really funny^^

Art : I have to agree with my pupils on this : the pictures are wonderful and earn some good poin
Betsy
Sep 19, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
A children's librarian is half media specialist, half psychic. It isn't enough to have to know the books in your collection. You have to know what that pint-sized patron standing before you REALLY wants when they say they want "a scary book". For a while there I had this very persistent three-year-old who would beg me for scary fare and wait as I dutifully pulled picture book after picture book for him. After a while I'd begin to wonder what would happen if I actually gave him what he said he wa ...more
Jason Byerly
Aug 17, 2012 Jason Byerly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Creepy Carrots! are a tasty treat

What is the scariest vegetable of all time? Broccoli? Rutabaga? Black olives, perhaps? Kids have been debating this question for centuries. If you asked Jasper Rabbit, however, he would tell you that you’re barking up the wrong produce aisle. Everyone knows that the scariest vegetable of all time is any vegetable that follows you home.

At least everyone knows this who has read Creepy Carrots!, a brilliant new picture book by Aaron Reynolds and Peter Brown.

Creep
Alex Baugh
Oct 31, 2012 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: randomly-reading
Creepy Carrots by Arron Reynolds, illustrated by Peter Brown
I am a person who has always avoided carrots. Not because I didn't like them, but because they are orange. I refused to eat orange food as a kid and it just became a habit. Recently I have started to eat carrots and actually enjoy them. But not as much as Jasper Rabbit in Creepy Carrots. Japser loves carrots so much that everything he passes through Crackenhpper Field he helps himself to carrots - big fat, crisp, free for the taking ca
Melki
May 15, 2016 Melki rated it liked it
I liked the artwork - fifty-one shades of gray with occasional splashes of orange, but the story seemed repetitive . . . all leading to a rather BLAH ending.

Might be more fun when read aloud, but probably not a tale that will encourage the kiddies to eat their veggies.
Jasmine
REVENGE OF THE HARASSED CARROTS.

RABBITS BEWARE.
Laima
Sep 23, 2013 Laima rated it really liked it
I read this library book to little 5 year old Abby. I thought it was hilarious but she didn't like it. Some of the ideas were way beyond a young child's level of knowledge and the creepy carrots kind of creeped her out. I don't know, perhaps this may be a book better suited for young boys or girls who like scary stories.
Jacqueline
Aug 07, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
This was a huge hit at storytime. The kids were riveted and even talked about it for a couple of weeks afterwards. This was a little bit scary and pretty funny. The images were vivid and easy to understand and fi the story very well. There was a great twist at the end that had everyone laughing.
Jordan Molczyk
Jun 19, 2015 Jordan Molczyk rated it really liked it
Alright class, I know all of you have a favorite snack. Who would like to share?

Great answers! Those sound yummy!

Today we are going to read Creepy Carrots. In this story Jasper Rabbit finds something scary about his favorite snack! I would like you guys to pay attention to the pictures and see if you can spot any of those creepy carrots that are hiding in the shadows from Jasper.

*turns off lights*
I want you all to notice our illustrator did not use much color in his illustrations, did he? That
Dolly
Oct 10, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun, not-too-scary book for children. Jasper Rabbit sees creepy carrots everywhere he goes. Or does he? Is his imagination just running wild?

The narrative is slightly creepy, as Jasper goes through the tale in almost constantly fearful state. And the ending is quite humorous, although I thought it had a bit of a Twilight Zone kind of feel. The illustrations are very dramatic, black and white with bold orange colors on the carrots and the objects Jasper perceived as carrots.

Based on a
Robin
Oct 23, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Update: read this to kids during storytimes this week and it's a lot of fun! Not only for kids but their grown-ups appreciate it even more! One of the very fun parts of attending Book Expo America is getting books signed by authors. Since I adore children's books (good thing since I work in youth services at my library!) I kept an eye on the lines forming for picture book authors or illustrators. In this case I waited behind a half dozen folks for the illustrator of this neat little story. (Hope ...more
Kendra
Feb 09, 2016 Kendra rated it really liked it
Really good. Really creepy. I too am occasionally haunted by the things I love most, so I related to this book quite a bit.
Tommy Cummings
Dec 17, 2014 Tommy Cummings rated it really liked it
What a fun kids book. My son and I have read this about 15 times each.
Elisabeth
Playing on the something-is-stalking-me-but-when-I-turn-around-nothing-is-there fears that have fueled countless scary movies, this goose-pimpler introduces a young bunny named Jasper who couldn't get enough carrots . . . until they started following him. Tired of heart-racing, sleepless nights, Jasper concocts a master plan and builds an alligator-filled moat and sky-high fence around Crackenhopper Field to keep those nasty carrots at bay. Turns out, their plan to keep that nasty rabbit from ea ...more
midnightfaerie
Nov 12, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
What a great book for Halloween! My whole family loved this one. My younger ones as well as my older son all enjoyed it. A top holiday book listed at the library I put a hold on it and just now got around to reading it. So glad I did. One of the preschoolers who likes books the least spent a good half an hour looking at this book after I got done reading it. I think the idea of scary carrots was really novel for them. highly recommended!
Jewelianne
May 27, 2016 Jewelianne rated it it was amazing
Jasper Rabbit loves eating carrots, especially the wild carrots that grow in Crackenhopper Field. That is until... the carrots start following him. I don't want to say anything else about the plot, but it is amazing. The story line and the illustrations are very Hitchcockian. Creepy carrots!

I just read this for the first time, while slogging through a bunch of boring books about growing plants that are purple and green, and the little butterfly that lived in a forgotten tomato bush, or whatever.
Shanshad Whelan
Oct 03, 2012 Shanshad Whelan rated it it was amazing
Love it! The question is, do I introduce this delightfully spooky picture book to my son? He's currently very skeptical of eating anything veggie except carrots . . . and I'm not quite sure I want to risk it! Still a great Halloween read for the younger set.
Maja
Apr 30, 2016 Maja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rll-538
Carrots are Jasper Rabbit’s all time favorite snack. You could say he’s pretty passionate about them. He heads to Crackenhopper Field any time he can, pulling out a few carrots as a morning snack, after baseball practice snack or even an after school bite. Jasper’s passion for carrots continues to grow until one day he thinks he notices some creepy carrots lurking by as he looks for his next meal. For the next few days everywhere he turns, Jasper sees the signs of creepy carrots lurking nearby.. ...more
Jenna-Lynne Duncan
Jun 12, 2012 Jenna-Lynne Duncan rated it it was amazing
I met the illustrator at BEA where I received a signed ARC. Super nice guy and cute story! The kids loved it and ate carrots while reading. Perfect for Halloween!
Margaux
Jun 11, 2014 Margaux rated it it was amazing
I love that this book is all in greyscale except for the orange sketchiness of the carrots creeping behind Jasper Rabbit. His carrot habit has made him paranoid; now he thinks the carrots are out for revenge no matter what his parents say. He knows they're out to get him. In the end, Jasper decides to build a fence around the field where his delicious carrots are growing just to make sure they don't come get him, but little does he know they're hoping this will happen so Jasper won't eat them an ...more
Edward Sullivan
May 03, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The ultimate rabbit nightmare! Great goofy fun.
Last Ranger
Sep 01, 2014 Last Ranger rated it it was amazing

Late Night Snacks.

Imagination can be a good thing, it can lead to all sorts new ideas. Too much imagination however, can lead to all sorts of problems. Jasper Rabbit is a smart, active rabbit-kid, he goes to school, plays Little League and eats carrots--lots of carrots. When Jasper found a patch of wild carrots he thought he was in snack Heaven. Only problem is, the carrots didn't see it that way. In this fun, mysterious, story kids who like something just a little scary should get enough chill
Sally Kruger
Carrots! Carrots! Carrots! That's all Jasper Rabbit thinks about.

He knows the fattest, juiciest carrots are in Crackenhopper Field so he goes there as often as he can. He stops there on the way to school and on the way home. However, one day he suspects the carrots are following him. He thinks he sees them and he knows he hears them, but every time he turns around those creepy carrots are gone.

When Jasper starts seeing them in the shed, in the bathroom, and in his room at night, his parents try
Ying Lee
Aug 14, 2013 Ying Lee rated it really liked it
Children (or adults)who like or dislike eating carrots will find this book amusing! Jasper Rabbit loves carrots so much that he visits Crackenhopper Field so often to get fat, crispy, and free carrots. Everything is getting creepy as Jasper begins to notice creeping carrosts following him and see creeping carrots everywhere. While Jasper finds a solution to stop the stalking carrots by building a high fence to enclose the carrots of the Crackenhoper Field, those carrots feel pleased about not ha ...more
M J
Jul 16, 2013 M J rated it it was amazing
Could carrots creep around the corner? In this 2013 Caldecott Honor Book the reader is led into the mind of a rabbit consumed by the thought of monstrous carrots. However, these are not ordinary carrots. These are the type of carrots that hide as orange toys, flowers, and tools. At least that is what young Jasper thinks. His parents on the other hand can not see the carrots lurking around the corner. Mom tells him that, “there’s no such thing as creepy carrots.” Dad shakes his head and explains ...more
Cindy
Jan 11, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok
It's CCBA time! For non-Coloradoans, this means that we are coming up on the time to vote for our favorite nominees for the Colorado Children's Book Award winner for 2014. I discovered this a couple of years ago as I began my new chapter as an elementary school librarian. I read the 10 picture-book nominees with all my students, they vote on their favorite, and we submit them to the CCBA powers-that-be so their votes can help to choose this year's winner.

So much for back-story. The favorite book
Stacey Cross
As a story, Creepy Carrots, is nothing spectacular but as a picture book it is phenomenal. If it weren't for the incredible illustrations this book would not be one to review. The colorful, yet dark and eerie images add so much depth and creativity to the story. The illustrator uses only the colors gray, black, white and orange to create his images. He also uses a lot of shading and shadows to set a certain tone and mood to the story.

Jasper rabbit feels that he is being followed by a bunch of u
Tom Bochnak
Feb 11, 2015 Tom Bochnak rated it it was amazing
You have a perfect book for halloween right here. It's perfectly creepy to keep kids on edge, and then the ending left me with a smile. There a lot of words to be read for a picture book. I'd have to say this book is perfect for 1st or 2nd graders. The pictures complement the text perfectly, and other times the pictures are more critical to the story than the text.

You could analyze this book more with your children, but I'd be worried about stripping away the cuteness and fun of it. Let this boo
Joan
Jan 30, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Joan by: ALA Awards
I loved this one! Of course just the title reminds me of Bunnicula who feasts on sucking carrots dry. This falls into the "scary but likely not too scary" category for young kids. Similar to Where the wild things are by Sendak, all the Carrots have fun expressions on their "faces" that show the kid that these are not really scary creatures. I love how the kid keeps trying to convince himself he can't really be followed by carrots. He never quite convinces himself. He finally hits a solution that ...more
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Creepy carrots! / Aaron Reynolds. Peter Brown (ill.). / 2012.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - print.

Plot summary:
"The carrots that grow in Crackenhopper Field are the fattest and crispiest around and Jasper Rabbit cannot resist pulling some to eat each time he passes by, until he begins hearing and seeing creepy carrots wherever he goes" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
vegetables, rabbits, fear, greed

Review citation:
"Brown’s c
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Incorrect ISBN 4 20 Jul 03, 2014 07:05PM
Children's and YA authors interested in reviews 1 14 Nov 02, 2013 10:06AM