Start by marking “Finding Sarah: A Duchess's Journey to Find Herself” as Want to Read:
Finding Sarah: A Duchess's Journey to Find Herself

Finding Sarah: A Duchess's Journey to Find Herself

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  30 reviews
More than a year ago my life was so off course that I wondered whether I would ever be able to find my way back. I was broken and lost, not even sure where I was, but out of this emotional barrenness I knew I had to find me. And so, I took a journey to find myself and begin the process of healing all the broken places. Finding Sarah is the story of that journey.

So begins
Published June 26th 2012 by Atria Books (first published December 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Sarah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Sarah

Linda
Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess Of York gets big points for being forthright and honest about the tabloid situations she find herself in at several points of her life. We meet her at her lowest point when one of them has drawn in her ex-husband, and love of her life Prince Andrew. Oprah takes Sarah in hand and gets her to commit to remaking her life mostly in front of a television camera.

The author was emotionally neglected by selfish parents including a mother who left her children and lived a worl
Kylie
I don't quite know why I was drawn to reading this book. I think I was keen to have some insight into being part of the Royal Family. Even the free sample sucked me in. But this book was awful. I read about a third of it, and then just skimmed through the rest. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had the same anxieties & issues as the author. But reading it as a well-balanced, generally content person, it was just so tedious. It was all about "Me Me Me" & "here's the next exotic pl ...more
Marie Rutherford
A bit long maybe but I have traveled some of her journey, in having separated from my husband and the dramas with friends, rumours, assumptions and hurts. As with Sarah, I had to work hard to reestablish relationships with my children. However, I wasn't a Duchess, so I didn't have the bad press neither the same level of intense surveillance or the paparazzi trying to sell papers. However, I felt that friends and even family had become judge & jury - I too suffered the hurt of some deciding t ...more
Brenda
Disappointing. Was hoping to be inspired, but found the book to be full of simplistic platitudes. She may have found herself but this book was a sad attempt to draw us into her journey.
Shelly  Snow
Sarah Ferguson in this book had made a series of poor choices that have been made public over the years due to her status as a British Royal. She talks about how she’s struggled to do good for others (she does this because she’s a natural people pleaser) and how things have blown up into very negative media events. In this book she relates her childhood, talks about her parents and events that have lead up to the person she is today.
Before reading this book I always have had an interest in Sarah
Susan B
This is a woman who has struggled all her life to find self-worth. Challenging enough for anyone, but especially for someone who's lived much of her life in the public eye, and made so many public blunders.

It was such a seeming-blunder that set Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, on the path to self-discovery. She needed to know why she continually made poor choices and wound up in scandalous predicaments.

While I am not a fan Oprah or New Age philosophy, and can therefore not agree with the spiritu
Anne R
This is the first book written by Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York that I have read. I was interested because I was watching her documentary on the OWN Network. I started it with mixed feelings because part of me believed it would be no more than a written diary of the documentary that I had watched on television but it was much more.

I was so taken by the Duchess' elegant writing style (no co-author or ghost writer here) and her sensitivity, her spirituality and obvious vulnerable inner self. Wi
Meg - A Bookish Affair
I eat up just about any book about the British Royals. Even though Sarah Ferguson is technically no longer royalty, she's always sort of been a fascinating person to me. She seems to have really bad luck when it comes to getting into bad or embarrassing situations. This latest book comes after the fall out surrounding her allegedly (she denies this throughout the book) taking a bribe to give someone access to her former husband, Prince Andrew.

This book is also sort of a self-help book, a genre
Pat
I had previously watched the documentary "Finding Sarah" and found it interesting. I like Fergie and admire her for trying so hard, especially that bit in Yellowknife. Whew! It seems that she often gets little credit for the good she does, but is pounced on gleefully for every error, whether intentional or not.
Having said all that, I am astounded at what her idea of "having no money" is. When I have no money, I can't hop on planes to stay with the rich and famous and be helped in my quest by the
Sue
If you like to hear a person whine about everything you can think of, this book is for you. She complains about not having money but she had $300,000 to put down on a racing horse. She complained about having to let her house staff because she couldn't afford them. I know haw this could be tramitic.

If you think you have heard enough complaining, you have to hear about she did not have enough money when she was married to Andrew. They did not get as much money as Charles because they were not hei
Elena Dorothy
The Book gives an incite into what Sarah Ferguson had to endure as a child, her upbringing, her struggle for survival then and now. Didn't realize she was Diana's cousin and that Diana introduced her to Andrew. How the Royals treated her and are as much to blame for her shenanigans as she is. Not all the stories that one reads in the magazines or newspapers are true, but do contribute to the misinformation that prevails about The Duchess of York. It is quite evident that Sarah in still deeply in ...more
Roxanne
I was surprised to learn about Sarah's childhoold and how much it has impacted her life to this day. Even though she feels she needs a lot of work, Sarah has really done incredible things with her life. Despite a few REALLY bad decisions, she is really a very powerful woman in her own right. Information regarding her late diagnosis of ADHD and how it affected her made an incredible amount of sense. Also, her honesty about going through her mid life changes also has impacted her without her even ...more
Joni
Must have been a cathartic exercise for the Duchess of York as it details her journey of self-discovery after a major scandal ripped through the headlines. She discusses the people in her life with candid thoughts including Diana, Princess of Wales. Sarah has not lived a charmed life; there has been sadness and tragedy, but as she learned to deal with loss and find herself she became stronger.

Her story was written to also help others who struggle with self-doubt, esteem problems, etc..
Mary Ann
I found the book fascinating to read. I learned quite a bit about her early childhood and the influence it had on the decisions she made during her marriage. I'm still surprised that her worldview is so limited even after her exposure to such a variety of experiences. That she would be so bothered and base her behavior on what a few tabloid journalists would have to say about her decisions is beyond me. There were a few gems, but mostly trite platitudes offered as pearls of wisdom.
Herb
I don't know why Goodreads keeps listing this as "Every Mother's Heart" when the book is clearly marked "Finding Sarah," so that's the title I'm reviewing it under. This is an interesting look back at the more recents trials and triumphs of our beloved Fergie, the Duchess of York. You can't help liking this flawed but generous and kind woman who has always captivated the hearts of the world. An interesting, and, ultimately, captivating account of Fergie's world.
Ellen
I was disappointed by this story. I'd hoped for a revealing perspective from a younger person than I who is also in the public eye because of her position in Britain's royal family. Instead, I got Oprahspeak and Dr. Philisms, for the most part.
I admit, I read the first few chapters and only skimmed the rest and did find what I expected--not much.

I won't discuss her personal journey here, but I hope she continues her seeking until she finds the truth of God.
Annie Oortman
This book was so-so. I enjoyed reading the information, but couldn't relate to her journey. So much of it consisted of flying to this exotic location, to that spa, to this retreat, etc., all the while complaining about not having money. I enjoyed reading her emails to friends, but after awhile that got tedious as they all started to sound the same.

If you like the Duchess, please read it. If not, I'd look elsewhere for reading enjoyment.
Lee-ann Sleegers
I finished this book tonight and was pleasantly surprised by it. The book was an easy read, at times a bit too easy, however, it did provide a great deal of insight into the Duchess of York's life. I found that it wasn't a woe in me biography, but rather a true personal analysis of where Sarah has been and where she wants to go. I would be comfortable giving this book to other people to read.
Lori
Fergie has been a tabloid favorite to be picked on through the years. As I was reading along as she went through her journey of finding herself, I could hear and feel the pain she had to endure. If you enjoy reading autobiographies or biographies about the royal family, you will enjoy reading this book.
Carol Cropp
I have to admit that I skipped all the 'preachy' bits at the beginning of each chapter and thoroughly enjoyed reading the rest of it! But I did find myself wishing I could say to her 'Stop beating yourself up! None of us are perfect' I really hope she finds peace with herself because she is so worth it!
Cynthia
Worth the dollar store price I paid. She has always cared too much about what other people think of her (according to the book) and she has had some serious baggage she sorted through with Oprah's experts. Blah.
Mom
I enjoyed reading this along with viewing the OWN network mini-documentary. I find Sarah to be sincere, and that she is making good progress in her search for her tru self.
Mary Lopez
I am a fan of biographies. I felt for her and the painful childhood and failed marriage she suffered. I believe she felt broken but she was simply not a very articulate writer.
Rpleshette
I found the book to be quite good and helpful. It does seem to be written in a "stream of consciousness" type way but for me that didn't take away from the book.
Karen
I found the writing choppy and disconnected and the author to be very self-absorbed. Sarah seems to be a master at making mountains out of mole hills.
Kathy
Pretty darn boring. The content was okay, but it was an audio book narrated by the author. REALLY bad reading Sarah!
Darlene Hull
An interesting book. Some great advice shared along an interesting journey.
Pauline Macleod
Too much self pity, over and over.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ marked it as noway-josé  ·  review of another edition
Snort...

The wisdom of Sarah Ferguson: The Duchess of York's new book has some useful advice for even the lowliest British subject.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Indian Takeaway: One Man's Attempt to Cook His Way Home
  • The Sugarless Plum
  • Strictly G.I.: The WWII Letters of Cpl.Wanda M. Renn
  • I Was a Dancer
Tea for Ruby My Story Victoria and Albert: A Family Life at Osborne House What I Know Now: Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way Ballerina Rosie: with audio recording