Start by marking “Legends of the Dragonrealm: Shade” as Want to Read:
Legends of the Dragonrealm: Shade

Legends of the Dragonrealm: Shade (Dragonrealm #8)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  13 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Richard A. Knaak’s unforgettable Legends of the Dragonrealm series continues with this spellbinding tale of a powerful sorcerer trapped in a purgatory of his own making.

Survivor of a once-mighty race of sorcerers, the spellcaster known to those of the Dragonrealm simply as Shade struggles to find an end to the curse he brought
Published September 18th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published August 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Legends of the Dragonrealm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends of the Dragonrealm

Jeff
This book reveals answers to many mysteries from earlier in the series; and presents new mysteries as well. Nothing is simple and much is at stake for the mighty as well as the average person. By the end, there are discovery, triumph, and great loss --- as well as hints of future possibilities.

Long-time readers should enjoy the tale. Mr. Knaak provides sufficient back-story information for new readers to follow the story.
I personally recommend the entire series.
Timothy McNeil
It is somewhat petty to let one paragraph of lazy writing and one instance (p. 279) where the wrong character's name is used (Cabe substitutes for Shade) keep this from getting a five star rating. So I'll say that I'm keeping it at four stars for the simple reason that the 'real death' of Gerrod Tezerenee feels so out of character with how the entire Dragonrealm stories had been structured to that point.
Still, I'm a huge GT fan and I think that Knaak has done a much better job developing Valea t
Kevin
A very welcome return to the Dragonrealm! This book goes deep into the history of the Realm's most engmatic character as well as some surprising revelations about some of the Dragon Kings. I cannot recommend this book if you have never read anything from the Dragonrealm series previously. There are the Legends of the Dragonrealm omnibusses out there that I highly recommend for any fantasy sword and sorcery fans. Well written and avoids a lot of the cliches prevelant in the genre. Knaak delievers ...more
Barbara Huskey
I won a copy from the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

My son is very excited that I won this book. He loves Richard A. Knaak's books.

5/3/13 - I finally managed to dig this out of my son's room and read it myself. I enjoyed this book a lot. It was good and well written. I do wish that I had read the series prior to this book. I feel like the story was complete enough and interesting enough, but it definitely felt like I was missing some background story. It made me want more, that's for sure.
Donna (Jaevenstar)
Richard Knaak's writing style is so rich and vibrant. Every single word is carefully selected and builds the action so well! This is not a book you can rush through or you will get lost. The beautiful language sucked me into the story right away.

PS. Can I just tell you I think it is so cool that this author is involved in the World of Warcraft franchise!
Jacob
I read this book before I read any of the other's, it made me alittle upset because I should of read the series before Shade (so if you read this my suggestion is to do so) it was an amazing book and I went and bought all four of the other books thank you Richard Knaak you have open my world to reading. Thumbs Up.
Jack Leone
Great story, linked all the other characters and their pasts together, what I didnt like was the plot twords the end, everyone had there own evil plot so I was getting confused on what was really happening. Shade is the man..
Literary
Mandy's Review:

Unfortunately, this book was a disappointment to me. Before I begin what I didn't like, though, let me say what I did like.

First, the cover is absolutely gorgeous! When you see the book in person, instead of just a picture at the top of a blog post, the colors really pop and are exciting to look at. It was the main reason why I decided to give this book a chance. I mean, if the cover is this exciting then the story inside has to be also ... right?

I also enjoyed the cast of charact
Filip Kadera
Tak teraz Dragonrealm prekvapil, je to po Ohnivom drakovi najlepšie.
Matthew
This was kind of a standalone, but it takes place in a larger universe after much has happened. While I was able to read it as a standalone, I couldn't help but feel that I was missing out on a lot of background lore. This book isn't in a numbered series, but I feel it should be read as though it were. Knaak has a habit of using strange sentence structure in wording that sometimes left me reading the same sentence multiple times before understanding it. Apart from that its a great book. I'm goin ...more
Robert Aldrich
I just could not get into this novel. I finished it, but only because I made myself. I have a lot of love for the original books in this series, but since I have grown as a reader, I guess I want more. Everyone we meet in this book as some kind of epicly powerful wizard, always pushing themselves to the limit of their power, yet they always have more and without the real need to rest, they are always ready for more.

Michal Židó
This book is one of the best books of dragonrealm series. Finally, the story of Shade is show and is quite unexpected and still the end brings new questions and new possible stories! :)
Ruth Kyle-devendorf
Not as good as his previous books, Or perhaps it was not as good due to the fact that he tried to end the series in the last 5 chapters. =( =(
Anna Popławska
Anna Popławska marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Arri Onge
Arri Onge marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Honza
Honza marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Philip Bennetch
Philip Bennetch marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Tatiana Mack
Tatiana Mack marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Ryan Woodroof
Ryan Woodroof marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Liene
Liene marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Stephen Gartshore
Stephen Gartshore marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
ThatGreenFocus
ThatGreenFocus marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
* Dim ~ Dom *
* Dim ~ Dom * marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Nice Review for Shade! 1 5 Aug 06, 2012 12:48AM
  • The Tower of Bones (Three Powers, #2)
  • Eloah's Amulet (Book 1 of 4)
  • Iron Hearted Violet
  • The Silver Sword (The Ea Cycle, #2)
  • All That We See Or Seem (The Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Office of Shadow
  • The Shen Counter
  • A Balance Broken (The Dragonsoul Saga, #1)
  • A Dawn of Dragonfire (Dragonlore, #1)
  • UnGuarded
  • Deception Peak
  • Silver Knight
  • The Half-Blood (War of the Seasons, #2)
  • Angels & Warriors: The Awakening
  • The Warlock (Waterspell, #1)
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Phoenix Rising Destiny Calls
  • The Sibylline Oracle (The Sibylline Trilogy, #1)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...
The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1) Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1) The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1) Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1) The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)