Start by marking “War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)” as Want to Read:
War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)

War Maid's Choice (War God #4)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,457 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
In Wind Rider’s Oath, Bahzell became a wind rider -- the first hradani wind rider in history. And, even if Bahzell is the War God’s champion, because the wind riders are the elite of the elite among the Sothoii, Bahzell’s ascension is as likely to stir resentment as respect. What’s more, Baron Tellian’s daughter, the heir to the realm, seems to be thinking that he is the o ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Baen (first published July 1st 2012)

Jacob Proffitt
Aug 13, 2012 Jacob Proffitt rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So here's the thing, I love David Weber's War God series. I reread all three books every year or so, even though I know that, objectively, they're not really that well written. I like the idealized fight between good and evil and that Bahzell kicks butt for justice while bantering with his friends. It's total wish-fulfillment fantasy but it just happens to be my favorite wish.

I noticed in the last book, Wind Rider's Oath, that some of my least-favorite of Weber's weaknesses seemed to be growing.
Jeremy Preacher
Mar 07, 2012 Jeremy Preacher rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
(This is a review of the ARC. Spoilers to follow.)

War Maid's Choice was... fine, I suppose. It does a lot of things that Wind Rider's Oath did, and in much the same ways. The one really notable thing it did was widen the scope of the series - we've gotten mutterings that something is going down, but now we get to see some pretty broad hints as to what it actually is.

My main problem is, of course, that the hints are so broad, and so obvious, that they're almost insulting. And what they're hinting
Mike
David Weber is a frustrating author for me to read. He has developed over the years a need to bloat, to pad, to use a thousand words to describe something when ten would. Or, if it was there in the beginning of his writing career, I over looked it when I first started reading him long long ago.

Somewhere in the reading of his books I think to myself, no more, never again will I read him. He has slowly driven me from his series. I've read my last Honor Harrington book - holding out longer than man
Tina
Dec 28, 2014 Tina rated it it was ok
The worst installment of what so far has been a pleasant series.

Truthfuly, the first book was the best and each succeeding book was a little less better. But none of them was this problematic. I found myself skimming whole chapters to get past some of the wordiness.

- Too long, or rather, too much 'inner thought' information from every single character as they ruminate over their plans and the personality of every single other character.

- Insta romance between Leanna and Bahzell that apparently
Jeffrey
Jul 18, 2012 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Weber's bloated War Maid’s Choice, the latest novel in his Oath of Swords series, is another bad addition to his oeuvre. Oath of Swords, which I recommend, was great light fantasy. Nothing too complicated. Great character, great concept. Each book in this series has gotten progressively worse as Weber has taken the simple fantasy action more seriously.

War Maid’s Choice has the makings of a decent story about vengeful evil gods and even a romance, but in order to find it, you will need to wade th
Beth
Dec 29, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: re-reading
Gah -- can't wait for the next book in the series. Cannot believe we still haven't learned why Brandark has been added to the 'must die' list. :p
Amber
Sep 07, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is not one that can be read out of order. Some series you can get away with that, this would not be one of that type. I love Weber, but I can see where some would not like his verboseness. I would say that if you have read his scifi and didn't like it, you might still want to give his fantasy a try.
I rated this book as high as I did because I have been waiting and waiting for my OTP to finally get together. If I weren't as invested in the pairing I probably would have knocked a star o
Biffbolt
Feb 25, 2013 Biffbolt rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
If I could, I'd give this book two ratings. The first two-thirds would rate a 1/5, whilst the final battle sequence(s), filling the final third of the book would get a 4/5.

I'm not sure whether it is a matter that David Weber's bad habits as a writer have worsened over the years, or whether my tolerance for them has diminished, but I think this book was the final straw for me. Whilst he is still capable of writing gripping action scenes and creating characters that you care about, by now the bagg
Will
May 14, 2013 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audible
Much better than the 3rd book in the series. Actually has some action in the first third of this book. Although I gave it 4 stars, it is more 3 1/2. The action was much better this book than last, but the continued complexity of explaining all of the different plot possibilities over and over versus letting the story play out was a bit much. And the lead character is slowly becoming less and less of the focus. I want the first book again!
Barry
Jul 13, 2012 Barry rated it liked it

Overall good book but tough, slow read at the beginning. Slow because of myriad political and social machinations. Last part of book usual Weber bang up terrific battle scenes.
Annette
Nov 16, 2013 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I plodded through this just to finish the series. Mind-numbingly boring for the first 200+ pages as character after character is introduced and political or wizardly plot after plot is described in excruciating detail, moderately livable for the next 200 as a few of the plots start to possibly move a little (but at the same time you've forgotten 3/4 of the names and places), and finally a little action in the last 150. In other words, classic Weber!
Sure, the climax was decent and the wrap of mod
Jkweld
Feb 05, 2013 Jkweld rated it it was ok
I thoroughly enjoy the War God series, and Weber was obviously thrilled to be back with some old and beloved characters again.

Unfortunately, he was more interested in the lives and patterns of old than he was in telling a new story. There were no surprises in this book, far too much foreshadowing and a lot of missed opportunities to develop and bring to the forefront some previously background characters.

The first two books progressed, advancing the story and expanding the world while ratcheting
Rena McGee
Oct 22, 2013 Rena McGee rated it it was ok
War Maid’s Choice takes place a few years after the events of Wind Rider’s Oath. It is slightly better than Wind Rider’s Oath, but that is not saying very much. We open with an introduction of the Dark Gods as characters instead of as offstage menaces. (It is the kind of “villain discussion” that is actually better suited to a science fiction setting instead of a fantasy one. De-mystified gods are generally boring gods.) The Dark Gods are apparently not very happy with the way their stooges kee ...more
Jen
Apr 22, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Like the other Bahzell books, this was a fun read. They are light fantasy written with verve and a certain degree of sparkle.

However, War Maid's Choice was about three hundred pages too long. The action and plot could have been fitted into half the number of pages by cutting out lots of little vignettes of characters telling each other how they felt about events or third parties. Too often, the pace was broken up by yet another scene of people discussing events or people over drinks or chess, or
Choko
Aug 26, 2015 Choko rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I can see how many feel that this book is too-predictable and so sweet, almost cheesy... However, I have to say that there is something very comforting for me when I let a traditional cannon fantasy take my attention and whisk me on its fairy-tale wings... I do not find the characters stereotypical, I would rather call them archetypal, and sometimes the good guys being relay good and the bad, quite bad, is like ice-cream - always welcome, even if the flavor is not quite your favorite:) I had fun ...more
QS
Aug 12, 2014 QS rated it liked it
This book. Oh my god, this book. I didn't hate it. I want to get that out of the way right now, because I promise I didn't. There are good things to say about it! I'm just not going to say them.

Because where the HELL is Kaeritha throughout this entire monstrosity? Why build up her relationship with Bahzell so strongly in the last book only to drop her so completely in this book that we have literally no idea what she's doing or where she is? And what is up with Stormy switching hands? Weber, bel
Sharon Schultz
Jan 18, 2015 Sharon Schultz rated it it was ok
VASTLY disappointing. Plot feels weak, and rushed. Well below the quality of the previous books.

A Main character is killed pointlessly without adding ANYTHING to the story.

Weber should be banned from writing ANY vaguely romance scented; The Leeana & Bahzell romance could have been better written by a drunken monkey.

Bottom line: Should have skipped this... Noteworthy only as the worst "romance" ever.
Sheri Nanny
Jul 30, 2012 Sheri Nanny rated it really liked it
Another David Weber, with lots of discussion of strategy based on details of weapons and situational placements of troops. However, he did not get too carried away where I had to finally skip ahead a few pages to get back to the plot like I did in the Honor Harrington series(though I read every one). Once I got over, again, the extremely long names that were a little too similar to each other and could chop them into recognizable names, I really like this book. I have read several of the previou ...more
Elizabeth Harless
Weber Does It Again

Another fine book in an outstanding series. Although known primarily for his military science fiction, Weber does an equally masterful job with military fantasy. The series could comfortably end with this volume - all the loose ends are tied up - but there are also plenty of opportunities for continued stories. I hope there are more to come..
James Saunders
Nov 17, 2014 James Saunders rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like Fantasy
I enjoyed the book. I went back and reread Wind Rider's Oath and that's probably for the second or third time and picked up Leeana hints, so to speak. Yes, Mr. Weber includes a lot of information. I have no problem with it. The added information creates a real picture of that world. I enjoyed the book and I hope that others do too.
pauliree
Nov 26, 2013 pauliree rated it liked it
I read this book earlier in the year and am now cleaning up my Goodreads shelves having finally finished my course. I am finding it hard to even remember this book and the reviews of other readers only vaguely reminds me of what went on in this book. I can't say that for the previous three so the only thing I can think of is that this one did not live up to the promise of the first ones.

Again Bahzell has to fight racism, again he is the steady bastion against the dark gods, again he and Brandark
Kelly Limric
Mar 09, 2014 Kelly Limric rated it really liked it
This series is excellent, and I was so happy for another book to come out. The story in this book is very good, but there are some odd editorial oversights that make it occasionally awkward in the reading. That said, there are seriously among my very favorite books ever.
David Harriss
Good but SLOW.

This one is slow going. It's a good journey but a lot longer than it needs to be. Less gratuitous scenery than previous volumes, but made up for with gratuitous scheming.

If you are a fan of the series then this is worth reading.
Jennavier
Apr 15, 2013 Jennavier rated it really liked it
I should say in advance that I love this series. So no matter how this books turned out, I was at least going to like it. Barring a black hole where everyone dies that is. That being said, I still loved it. The beginning was dragging and confusing. The first seven chapters had seven different narrators, one of which wouldn't come up again so there was really no point. Weber spent way too much time giving us all the back story of the last few books, even stuff we could have done without. Once he ...more
Sue
Jul 23, 2012 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
I enjoyed the previous books, there is great humour and good action in them, so was really looking forward to catching up with the characters.
I was disappointed in this book, the characters we've grown to love were almost cameos in the story (I think Brandark got 2-3 appearances), Wencit appeared went 'boo' and disappeared as quickly.
There was far too much politics in the book, to the disadvantage of the story, every noble man and minor character seemed to be up to some plotting and we had to si
Frank Cirello
Jun 14, 2015 Frank Cirello rated it liked it
I have read alot of Weber's books. First couple books in this series were good. As the series progressed it was really predictable. I dont think I will read the next book in this series. His scifi books are much better.
Emily
Jul 08, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Intrigue should be discovered, not discussed. This really didn't have the same pace or drive as the previous books and I skipped chapters still managing to guess the ending. Gave it three stars just because I felt invested In Bahzell's story, but not much beyond that.
Chris
May 25, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
I felt like I was being baited when the book started with poisonous green lightning on an endless plain. Weber toned it down but even the crazy evil gods acknowledge fairness in their fights. I wish I could say this was Weber flushing it all out in a low-value venue, but I know his other books are going to be just as noble/mushy/ennobling as always. The heroes are all mighty, large, noble, and fearless.

The dumb bad guys somehow don't know they're the bad guys, even when they are plotting treason
Ian Verhappen
Apr 01, 2016 Ian Verhappen rated it really liked it
Another well done book in this series however I made the mistake of reading this one before Wind Rider's Oath and many references are made to early books so read the books in the proper order.

Does not spoil this book but makes it a bit harder to read.
Liviu
Jul 23, 2014 Liviu rated it it was amazing
The best Bazhell by far and finally a "real" ie great Weber fantasy novel as i have been accustomed in most all his sf. Will have a full rv closer to pub date in July, and I will just note that I finally became interested in Bazhell, Leanna, Brandark and Wencit's adventures. All the trademark stuff of DW is present for once (the scheming villains, nefarious plots, heroes trying to save the day in the last minute, brutal battles with lots of casualties including of main characters...) and the pre ...more
  • 1636: The Saxon Uprising (Assiti Shards, #12)
  • Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • Coup d'Etat (The War That Came Early, #4)
  • Princeps (Imager Portfolio, #5)
  • Echoes of Betrayal (Paladin's Legacy, #3)
  • Skirmishes (Diving Universe, #4)
  • The Thousand Emperors
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • House Name (The House War, #3)
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • Redoubt (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #4)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

War God (5 books)
  • Oath of Swords (War God, #1)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • The Sword of the South (War God, #5)

“It’s much more comfortable to cling to your bigotry than it is to admit you’ve been wrong to feel it in the first place,” 0 likes