Start by marking “War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)” as Want to Read:
War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)

War Maid's Choice (War God #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  925 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Bahzell of the Hradani is back! Exciting fantasy adventure by the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of the Honor Harrington series.

In Wind Rider’s Oath, Bahzell became a wind rider—the first hradani wind rider in history. And, even if Bahzell is the War God’s champion, because the wind riders are the elite of the elite among the...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Baen (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about War Maid's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Maid's Choice

Jacob Proffitt
So here's the thing, I love David Weber's War God series. I reread all three books every year or so, even though I know that, objectively, they're not really that well written. I like the idealized fight between good and evil and that Bahzell kicks butt for justice while bantering with his friends. It's total wish-fulfillment fantasy but it just happens to be my favorite wish.

I noticed in the last book, Wind Rider's Oath, that some of my least-favorite of Weber's weaknesses seemed to be growing....more
Jeremy Preacher
(This is a review of the ARC. Spoilers to follow.)

War Maid's Choice was... fine, I suppose. It does a lot of things that Wind Rider's Oath did, and in much the same ways. The one really notable thing it did was widen the scope of the series - we've gotten mutterings that something is going down, but now we get to see some pretty broad hints as to what it actually is.

My main problem is, of course, that the hints are so broad, and so obvious, that they're almost insulting. And what they're hinting...more
Jeffrey
Weber's bloated War Maid’s Choice, the latest novel in his Oath of Swords series, is another bad addition to his oeuvre. Oath of Swords, which I recommend, was great light fantasy. Nothing too complicated. Great character, great concept. Each book in this series has gotten progressively worse as Weber has taken the simple fantasy action more seriously.

War Maid’s Choice has the makings of a decent story about vengeful evil gods and even a romance, but in order to find it, you will need to wade th...more
Mike
David Weber is a frustrating author for me to read. He has developed over the years a need to bloat, to pad, to use a thousand words to describe something when ten would. Or, if it was there in the beginning of his writing career, I over looked it when I first started reading him long long ago.

Somewhere in the reading of his books I think to myself, no more, never again will I read him. He has slowly driven me from his series. I've read my last Honor Harrington book - holding out longer than man...more
Amber
This book is not one that can be read out of order. Some series you can get away with that, this would not be one of that type. I love Weber, but I can see where some would not like his verboseness. I would say that if you have read his scifi and didn't like it, you might still want to give his fantasy a try.
I rated this book as high as I did because I have been waiting and waiting for my OTP to finally get together. If I weren't as invested in the pairing I probably would have knocked a star o...more
Will
Much better than the 3rd book in the series. Actually has some action in the first third of this book. Although I gave it 4 stars, it is more 3 1/2. The action was much better this book than last, but the continued complexity of explaining all of the different plot possibilities over and over versus letting the story play out was a bit much. And the lead character is slowly becoming less and less of the focus. I want the first book again!
Loki (of Smartassgard)
I wanted to like this work, as I inherited several other from my mother and have loved them. Unfortunately, the author has a tendency towards "padding". There’s really no need for a half page of nothing more than the description of a character’s shirt.

I feel my time was wasted and I wish I didn’t feel so.
Barry

Overall good book but tough, slow read at the beginning. Slow because of myriad political and social machinations. Last part of book usual Weber bang up terrific battle scenes.
Annette
I plodded through this just to finish the series. Mind-numbingly boring for the first 200+ pages as character after character is introduced and political or wizardly plot after plot is described in excruciating detail, moderately livable for the next 200 as a few of the plots start to possibly move a little (but at the same time you've forgotten 3/4 of the names and places), and finally a little action in the last 150. In other words, classic Weber!
Sure, the climax was decent and the wrap of mod...more
Jkweld
I thoroughly enjoy the War God series, and Weber was obviously thrilled to be back with some old and beloved characters again.

Unfortunately, he was more interested in the lives and patterns of old than he was in telling a new story. There were no surprises in this book, far too much foreshadowing and a lot of missed opportunities to develop and bring to the forefront some previously background characters.

The first two books progressed, advancing the story and expanding the world while ratcheting...more
Rena McGee
War Maid’s Choice takes place a few years after the events of Wind Rider’s Oath. It is slightly better than Wind Rider’s Oath, but that is not saying very much. We open with an introduction of the Dark Gods as characters instead of as offstage menaces. (It is the kind of “villain discussion” that is actually better suited to a science fiction setting instead of a fantasy one. De-mystified gods are generally boring gods.) The Dark Gods are apparently not very happy with the way their stooges kee...more
Biffbolt
If I could, I'd give this book two ratings. The first two-thirds would rate a 1/5, whilst the final battle sequence(s), filling the final third of the book would get a 4/5.

I'm not sure whether it is a matter that David Weber's bad habits as a writer have worsened over the years, or whether my tolerance for them has diminished, but I think this book was the final straw for me. Whilst he is still capable of writing gripping action scenes and creating characters that you care about, by now the bagg...more
Jen
Like the other Bahzell books, this was a fun read. They are light fantasy written with verve and a certain degree of sparkle.

However, War Maid's Choice was about three hundred pages too long. The action and plot could have been fitted into half the number of pages by cutting out lots of little vignettes of characters telling each other how they felt about events or third parties. Too often, the pace was broken up by yet another scene of people discussing events or people over drinks or chess, or...more
QS
This book. Oh my god, this book. I didn't hate it. I want to get that out of the way right now, because I promise I didn't. There are good things to say about it! I'm just not going to say them.

Because where the HELL is Kaeritha throughout this entire monstrosity? Why build up her relationship with Bahzell so strongly in the last book only to drop her so completely in this book that we have literally no idea what she's doing or where she is? And what is up with Stormy switching hands? Weber, bel...more
Sheri Nanny
Another David Weber, with lots of discussion of strategy based on details of weapons and situational placements of troops. However, he did not get too carried away where I had to finally skip ahead a few pages to get back to the plot like I did in the Honor Harrington series(though I read every one). Once I got over, again, the extremely long names that were a little too similar to each other and could chop them into recognizable names, I really like this book. I have read several of the previou...more
pauliree
I read this book earlier in the year and am now cleaning up my Goodreads shelves having finally finished my course. I am finding it hard to even remember this book and the reviews of other readers only vaguely reminds me of what went on in this book. I can't say that for the previous three so the only thing I can think of is that this one did not live up to the promise of the first ones.

Again Bahzell has to fight racism, again he is the steady bastion against the dark gods, again he and Brandark...more
Kelly Limric
This series is excellent, and I was so happy for another book to come out. The story in this book is very good, but there are some odd editorial oversights that make it occasionally awkward in the reading. That said, there are seriously among my very favorite books ever.
Jennavier
I should say in advance that I love this series. So no matter how this books turned out, I was at least going to like it. Barring a black hole where everyone dies that is. That being said, I still loved it. The beginning was dragging and confusing. The first seven chapters had seven different narrators, one of which wouldn't come up again so there was really no point. Weber spent way too much time giving us all the back story of the last few books, even stuff we could have done without. Once he...more
Sue
I enjoyed the previous books, there is great humour and good action in them, so was really looking forward to catching up with the characters.
I was disappointed in this book, the characters we've grown to love were almost cameos in the story (I think Brandark got 2-3 appearances), Wencit appeared went 'boo' and disappeared as quickly.
There was far too much politics in the book, to the disadvantage of the story, every noble man and minor character seemed to be up to some plotting and we had to si...more
Chris
I felt like I was being baited when the book started with poisonous green lightning on an endless plain. Weber toned it down but even the crazy evil gods acknowledge fairness in their fights. I wish I could say this was Weber flushing it all out in a low-value venue, but I know his other books are going to be just as noble/mushy/ennobling as always. The heroes are all mighty, large, noble, and fearless.

The dumb bad guys somehow don't know they're the bad guys, even when they are plotting treason...more
Liviu
The best Bazhell by far and finally a "real" ie great Weber fantasy novel as i have been accustomed in most all his sf. Will have a full rv closer to pub date in July, and I will just note that I finally became interested in Bazhell, Leanna, Brandark and Wencit's adventures. All the trademark stuff of DW is present for once (the scheming villains, nefarious plots, heroes trying to save the day in the last minute, brutal battles with lots of casualties including of main characters...) and the pre...more
Jeffrey
Getting annoyed that only the last 100 pages or so of David Weber's books engage this reader. This reader has read most of what Weber has written in English. This reader reads them as they are released and this series hasn't had a book in a while. So while the author makes no attempt to give the reader a recap, the author keeps referring to events in the past books and this is frustrating, to put it mildly.
This book ends with just enough of a tease to make sure that when the next book comes out,...more
Michael Rutkowski
the first 300 pages of this book were horrible and a torture and unpleasant to read! the next 400 pages were soso and ok. the last 150 pages with all the battles were great! weber definitely needs a new and stronger editor to stand up to him! weber is so wordy now and had so many, many characters with similarly spelled names that confuses you and makes this book virtually unreadable! it seems like weber just wrote this book to collect a paycheck and bring this series to a conclusion with this fo...more
Wildrose VuVu Magoo
I liked this book. It was a good, light read. David Weber's books are always engaging. However... I had a few issues. I was really hoping the main enemy diety would have more interesting minions, minions the good side could respect. Instead, we get more mindless evil. Leaving that aside, I was severely disappointed by what happened to some of the other bad guys. Maybe it's just me, but I get fond of recurring villains. I am sad when they're snuffed out so quickly. I'll keep reading the books bec...more
Noel
Bess and Morgan The Bookends
I recommend reading it, but with two caveats: read the complete series, because this does not stand entirely on its own two covers, and be prepared for some slogging. The book is nearly six hundred pages and as with most books that length, could probably have done with some trimming. It’s not for a Baen neophyte, get yourself some experience with the style first.
But why read it? Find out in our review!
Rachel
Julia
Classic good-vs-evil. I had read and enjoyed the prior books in the series, but I would not recommend this one as a starting place. Many of the characters were introduced and developed in the previous books and were mentioned here without further description or character development.

There are a number of story lines, but the only one that I really enjoyed was Leeana's (the war maid of the title).
Lucy
I've liked much about David Weber's books, but they've been going gradually downhill. I've stopped reading the Honor Harrington books because of some of the same reasons I'm less than pleased with this latest book: far too much attention paid to the villains, giving them too many pages for their evil plotting and self-justifications. I just don't find them all that interesting.
Michelle Haugen
It was not as good as the others in the series and left a few questions that I would have liked answered. Still a good book and goes along with all the threads from previous books and ties most of them up in a neat bow.
  • Coup d'Etat (The War That Came Early, #4)
  • 1636: The Saxon Uprising (Assiti Shards, #11)
  • Queen of Wands (Special Circumstances, #2)
  • Elfhome (Elfhome, #3)
  • Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)
  • Digital Knight
  • Princeps (Imager Portfolio, #5)
  • Rogue
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name...more
More about David Weber...
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)