Start by marking “Path of the Outcast” as Want to Read:
Path of the Outcast

Path of the Outcast (Warhammer 40,000)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The third of the Eldar Path series, which shows Aradryan as he lives as a Ranger.Alaitoc is attacked by the Sons of Orar Space Marines and he must do what he can to help save the craftworld ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published August 28th 2012 by Games Workshop (first published August 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Path of the Outcast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Path of the Outcast

Milo (Bane of Kings)
Oct 08, 2012 Milo (Bane of Kings) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Eldar Fans, Black Library Fans, Warhammer 40k fans,
“A thrilling conclusion to the Eldar Trilogy that will satisfy and enthrall readers.” ~The Founding Fields

What is quite interesting to note about Path of the Outcast is that it concludes what has possibly been the first major Black Library produced Eldar-focused series, and that’s quite an achievement in itself. Not many authors can write a novel from the perspective of aliens, let alone an entire trilogy. Although they may not get as much attention as the Space Marines, the Eldar are still ther
Alexander Draganov
Brilliant conclusion to the Path of the Eldar trilogy. The character of Aradryan captures the nature of the Eldar, with all their charms and flaws, beautifully. The descriptions are excellent, the characters extremely memorable and the feeling of detail and majesty never leaves you while reading this books. I am awed by Gav Thorpe!
Parker
One word. Awe-taking.

The fact that this novel carries off of the first two, Path of the Seer and Path of the Warrior, truly entices the idea of multi-personalities. How the author pulled off this omnicient viewpoint is beyond me, but I did enjoy his capture of the moment. Gav Thorpe is the second WH40K author I have read from, and I can't wait to delve into his works more. Path of the Outcast is a great book to close up the Path of the Eldar trilogy, pinning the climactic end of the tale on the
Tim
The final part of the Path-trilogy, the whole story gets told a third time... this time from the viewpoint of the last of the three friends. The first two books showed us that the craftworld Alaitoc would be under heavy attack, and it had something to do with the last member, Aradryan the Ranger...

The question "who was in the end to blame for all of this" is only conclusively answered in the final paragraph of the story... and it's a quite surprising answer. Also, until the last thirty pages the
Neil
Book Three of Gav Thorpe's Path of the Eldar trilogy left me with mixed feelings. On one hand, any chance to experience more of the Eldar culture is pretty cool. Full Disclosure; I've played eldar in 40K ever since Rogue Trader, so we go back a ways. However, the danger with such a long relationship is that, in the absence of novel-length cannon, one would likely have formed their own thoughts about how things worked on the path, and on a craft world.

OK, Eldar-nerdiness aside, what did I think o
Dylan Murphy
This is going to be a very short review, as my PC is dead and I hate typing on smartphones.

Path of the Outcast was, for me, the best novel in this trilogy. Aradryan only had brief scenes in the other 2 novels, and I was really interested to see his adventures as a ranger. I think thay Gav Thorpe did an amazing job portraying the freedom, duty, and recklessness that it was to be a ranger, and that wad easily my favourite part of the book. I also really liked Aradryan's fall into piracy. He wasn't
Dave Kirlin
I'm somewhat torn on this whole trilogy. I didn't like the first book, Path of the Warrior, at all, it seemed rather pointless in the end. Then I learned this was going to be a trilogy of books, each from a different character's perspective, so I decided to read the other two (Path of the Outcast and Path of the Seer).

Although I've rarely had this happen, I think the second book (Path of the Seer) is better than the first, and the final book (Path of the Outcast) is better than the two before t
Christian
Again, very introspective for a 40K book and at times actually boring. The ending to the series is a bit of a clunker AND a downer. The battle scenes are passable and we see just how much the Eldar respect/ fear space marines. I actually liked the characters and their growth in this last book of the series. I hope if we read about them in the future it is in the form of short and sweet short stories.
Stephan Lindkvist
Can't say I enjoyed this novel.
The Author have no grip on the time scale. Our protagonist advances from dreamer to steersman to ranger and later captain of a starship in just a couple of months. To make it worse, there's not a single memorable character to speak of...
It wasn't a good book and it wasn't a good series either
Derek
A solid ending to the series. A bit of a let-down, however, since the ending I had expected never materialized, and the ending that did occur felt somewhat lackluster. All in all, though, still an interesting view into another part of Eldar life.
Jeff Soivilien
Interesting enough if a little anticlimactic. Thoroughly enjoyed the story up to the point where Adrayan's story gave way to setting up the climax of the trilogy. Probably would have been better written as a stand alone.
Taddow
I think that this was the best of the three books in the trilogy. It was great to get away from the Craftworld and see some of the different interactions and behavior of the other Eldar (Dark Eldar, Exodites, and Corsairs).
Damon
Of the 4 Path of the Eldar books written so far (one by Andy Chambers, the other 3 by Gav), this one might be the best. Lots of insights to the Eldar culture outside the Craftworlds or Corrmoragh.
Michael Sayed
Michael Sayed marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Nathaniel
Nathaniel marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Mathew Bont
Mathew Bont marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Bryan Harvey
Bryan Harvey marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Dave
Dave added it
Jan 28, 2015
David Colwell
David Colwell marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
  • Wrath of Iron
  • Firedrake
  • The Emperor's Gift
  • Dark Apostle
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Priests of Mars
  • Atlas Infernal
  • The Siege of Castellax
  • Know No Fear
  • Dead Men Walking
Gav spent 14 years as a developer for Games Workshop, and started writing novels and short stories in the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 when the Black Library imprint was launched in 1997.

He continues to write for Black Library, and his first 'homegrown' novel series The Crown of the Blood has been released via Angry Robot.

Currently living in Nottingham, Gav shares his home with his lo
More about Gav Thorpe...

Warhammer 40,000 (1 - 10 of 612 books)
  • Horus Rising
  • Legion
  • Battle for the Abyss
  • Mechanicum
  • Tales of Heresy
Deliverance Lost Angels of Darkness Path of the Warrior (Path of the Eldar, #1) Malekith Last Chancers