Start by marking “Chorus” as Want to Read:
Chorus

Chorus

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
An anthology of poetry by young people, edited by superstar poet and author of The Dead Emcee Scrolls and ,said the shotgun to the head, Saul Williams.

CHORUS is the anthem of a new generation of poets unified by the desire to transcend the identity politics of the day and begin to be seen as one. One hundred voices woven through testimony and new testament. It is the cry
Published September 4th 2012 by MTV Books

J.
Jan 13, 2014 J. rated it liked it
(2 1/2 stars in reality) I wanted to enjoy it in the form it was presented, but it wasn't long before I had to go through and put in the titles and author names by hand. There are about 20 good poems here, 5 of them jaw-droppingly good, so it's pretty standard for an anthology. Therein lies the problem--I expect so much more from Saul and his sensibility. Most of the work here is that type of poetry that relies on the poet's personality or sensuality to create an effect. Even if I didn't hate th ...more
Tree Olive
Nov 27, 2012 Tree Olive rated it really liked it
I really liked this book a lot but the fact that there is no table of contents of poet bios is stupid. like way stupid.
Tom Davenport
May 05, 2014 Tom Davenport rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Great anthology. Missed a half point because some poems weren't overwhelming. This man is a genius poet the likes of which you rarely see. His struggle with Islam and homosexuality was fascinating. The fear of rejection is the basis of religion and hate and breads the demons of hell. He is right, love- no matter if you feel it after a loss it never goes away. Like any energy, it can transform into rage, hate, fear, depression and death! It can also place you in the highest echelon o ...more
Cody
May 06, 2014 Cody rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the compilation, but like many have said before me there was only a list of each writer. It would have been nice know more about every contributor!

That being said, I loved the richness Chorus brought to the table. I read the book twice (something that I do solemnly) to compile what was what through and between pages.

I strongly suggest picking up Chorus if you have the means to. Saul Williams does just as well picking out great poetry as he does writing and performing his.
shaz rasul
Oct 06, 2012 shaz rasul rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Saul Williams' Chorus (a literary mixtape) is in the category of "I like it. And I like what it stands for."

To be fair, I'm a fan of Williams, especially his writing (I'm much more apt to criticize a decision he's made with an album than I am anything that he's written). I've read almost everything he's published and liked just about all of it.

Chorus is Williams-esque in that it's challenging and dark and emotionally charged and smart and playful all at the same time. What's utterly fantastic is
Nick
Nov 08, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
I don't read much poetry, so I don't have much to compare this book to, but I did enjoy it. Saul Williams is incredibly talented, and love listening to his albums. I read these poems in his voice, and that largely "worked". It seemed like many of the themes and expressions and word choices in this book line up closely with Saul's lyrics, and I wonder which direction those sorts of ideas flowed - I'm sure both ways, and to and from many other same sources as well.

Anyway, this was a nice read. As
Fellowman
Feb 25, 2014 Fellowman rated it it was amazing
this is the best anthology of poetry i have ever read, hands down. the idea of remixing poems and writing one through them is genius. love this book, and i keep passing it on to people, along with anything by saul. he's good people.
Sean Donahue
Dec 31, 2013 Sean Donahue rated it really liked it
Mr. Williams's anthology covers a much broader span of contemporary poetry than I'd been expecting. Authors featured aren't limited to the tried and true heroes of the spoken word/slam movement. Some pieces are experimental in the extreme. Sometimes, this pays off in major ways. Sometimes, it doesn't. If I recall, there are 93 pieces in the book. I'd say I enjoyed around 85 of them, with ten or fifteen in particular really getting my motor going. Definitely worth the read. Will probably re-read ...more
Jan magdalene
Dec 21, 2014 Jan magdalene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
this is the best poetry anthology i have ever read up to this date. fucking amazing must read recommend to everybody. 5 billion stars
Cody
Dec 20, 2015 Cody rated it liked it
there were definitely some poems that I loved in this, but as a whole it was pretty meh. love saul's work forever tho.
Biafra Denmark
Oct 01, 2012 Biafra Denmark rated it it was amazing
Pure Genius! This anthology presents poetry like no other. The way the voices of the poems wed together is a thing of beauty and makes the reader think and see and believe in the connectedness of all of us on this wide, vast blue ball called Earth. The #4 poem, "Rivers", must have been written with God's own fountain pen because it is the most glorious, spectacular, magical beautiful poem ever written. Ever. In life. :-)
Bob
Sep 22, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, poetry
A.P. Sweet
Dec 13, 2012 A.P. Sweet rated it liked it
Not bad, but the description implies what it truly is; a mixtape. It's just a bunch of submitted poems that Saul went through and pieced together to make on long poem. It isn't bad but I would have preferred something original from Mr. Williams. Maybe in the next year we might get some more magic.
Andrea
Jun 03, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5
I really really enjoyed this poetry compilation.
If you are into spoken word poetry, this is your thing.
Makeda Sandfordd
Sep 22, 2013 Makeda Sandfordd rated it it was amazing
Absolutely flawless. Read from cover to cover, you won't regret it. You may cry, laugh, get angry, get devotional, but it will all be worth it. Some of the most talented young poets in the game today.
Taylor
Feb 04, 2014 Taylor rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry-and-prose
Had a tough time getting into this anthology, there was only two poems that I really enjoyed.. Sarah Key's feature and of course the closing poem by Saul Williams.
Rushay Booysen
Nov 29, 2012 Rushay Booysen rated it liked it
a compilation of poems from some of Saul's favorite artist.Overall the book had a great collection of work would have loved to read more of Saul's stuff though.
Nadia
May 01, 2013 Nadia rated it really liked it
Each piece was from a different poet and it was put together into one long poem. It flowed very nicely. Great poetry in there. Would love to see this happen again.
Makara Berry
Mar 04, 2013 Makara Berry rated it it was amazing
this man, makes love to words. everything he writes, or is a part of is so thoughtful and insightful, i always feel altered after reading it.
jewelthinks
Aug 16, 2015 jewelthinks rated it it was ok
Great concept, but in practice disjointed and hard to access. This book didn't hold my interest.
Oscar
Jan 26, 2015 Oscar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I love reading this out loud
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
John
John added it
Jun 21, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Karol
Karol marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
MARCUS
MARCUS marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Jacquelyn Smon
Jacquelyn Smon marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Louisa
Louisa added it
May 31, 2016
Meagan Waller
Meagan Waller marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • Now and Then...
  • The Black Poets
  • What You Really Really Want: The Smart Girl's Shame-Free Guide to Sex and Safety
  • The Veiled Suite: The Collected Poems
  • Full Woman, Fleshly Apple, Hot Moon: Selected Poems
  • On Balance
  • Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution
  • The Beastly Baby
  • Emily's Good Nightmares (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Walking the Black Cat
  • Bicycles
  • Self-Portrait as Your Traitor
  • War Music: An Account of Books 1-4 and 16-19 of Homer's Iliad
  • Selected Poems: 1931-2004
Saul Stacey Williams is an American poet, writer, actor and musician known for his blend of poetry and hip-hop and for his leading role in the 1998 independent film Slam.
More about Saul Williams...