Start by marking “Chorus” as Want to Read:
Chorus

Chorus

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  17 reviews
CHORUS is the anthem of a new generation of poets unified by the desire to transcend the identity politics of the day and begin to be seen as one. One hundred voices woven through testimony and new testament. It is the cry of the unheard. The occupation of the page itself. It embodies the “speak-up” spirit of the moment, the confidence propagated throug...more
Published September 4th 2012 by MTV Books

To ask other readers questions about Chorus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chorus

J.
(2 1/2 stars in reality) I wanted to enjoy it in the form it was presented, but it wasn't long before I had to go through and put in the titles and author names by hand. There are about 20 good poems here, 5 of them jaw-droppingly good, so it's pretty standard for an anthology. Therein lies the problem--I expect so much more from Saul and his sensibility. Most of the work here is that type of poetry that relies on the poet's personality or sensuality to create an effect. Even if I didn't hate th...more
Tom Davenport
4 1/2 stars. Great anthology. Missed a half point because some poems weren't overwhelming. This man is a genius poet the likes of which you rarely see. His struggle with Islam and homosexuality was fascinating. The fear of rejection is the basis of religion and hate and breads the demons of hell. He is right, love- no matter if you feel it after a loss it never goes away. Like any energy, it can transform into rage, hate, fear, depression and death! It can also place you in the highest echelon o...more
Tree Olive
I really liked this book a lot but the fact that there is no table of contents of poet bios is stupid. like way stupid.
Cody
I enjoyed the compilation, but like many have said before me there was only a list of each writer. It would have been nice know more about every contributor!

That being said, I loved the richness Chorus brought to the table. I read the book twice (something that I do solemnly) to compile what was what through and between pages.

I strongly suggest picking up Chorus if you have the means to. Saul Williams does just as well picking out great poetry as he does writing and performing his.
shaz rasul
Saul Williams' Chorus (a literary mixtape) is in the category of "I like it. And I like what it stands for."

To be fair, I'm a fan of Williams, especially his writing (I'm much more apt to criticize a decision he's made with an album than I am anything that he's written). I've read almost everything he's published and liked just about all of it.

Chorus is Williams-esque in that it's challenging and dark and emotionally charged and smart and playful all at the same time. What's utterly fantastic is...more
Nick
I don't read much poetry, so I don't have much to compare this book to, but I did enjoy it. Saul Williams is incredibly talented, and love listening to his albums. I read these poems in his voice, and that largely "worked". It seemed like many of the themes and expressions and word choices in this book line up closely with Saul's lyrics, and I wonder which direction those sorts of ideas flowed - I'm sure both ways, and to and from many other same sources as well.

Anyway, this was a nice read. As...more
Fellowman
this is the best anthology of poetry i have ever read, hands down. the idea of remixing poems and writing one through them is genius. love this book, and i keep passing it on to people, along with anything by saul. he's good people.
Sean Donahue
Mr. Williams's anthology covers a much broader span of contemporary poetry than I'd been expecting. Authors featured aren't limited to the tried and true heroes of the spoken word/slam movement. Some pieces are experimental in the extreme. Sometimes, this pays off in major ways. Sometimes, it doesn't. If I recall, there are 93 pieces in the book. I'd say I enjoyed around 85 of them, with ten or fifteen in particular really getting my motor going. Definitely worth the read. Will probably re-read...more
Oscar
I love reading this out loud
Biafra Denmark
Pure Genius! This anthology presents poetry like no other. The way the voices of the poems wed together is a thing of beauty and makes the reader think and see and believe in the connectedness of all of us on this wide, vast blue ball called Earth. The #4 poem, "Rivers", must have been written with God's own fountain pen because it is the most glorious, spectacular, magical beautiful poem ever written. Ever. In life. :-)
Bob
Sep 22, 2012 Bob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, poetry
A.P. Sweet
Not bad, but the description implies what it truly is; a mixtape. It's just a bunch of submitted poems that Saul went through and pieced together to make on long poem. It isn't bad but I would have preferred something original from Mr. Williams. Maybe in the next year we might get some more magic.
Makeda Sandfordd
Absolutely flawless. Read from cover to cover, you won't regret it. You may cry, laugh, get angry, get devotional, but it will all be worth it. Some of the most talented young poets in the game today.
Taylor
Had a tough time getting into this anthology, there was only two poems that I really enjoyed.. Sarah Key's feature and of course the closing poem by Saul Williams.
Rushay Booysen
a compilation of poems from some of Saul's favorite artist.Overall the book had a great collection of work would have loved to read more of Saul's stuff though.
Nadia
Each piece was from a different poet and it was put together into one long poem. It flowed very nicely. Great poetry in there. Would love to see this happen again.
Makara Berry
this man, makes love to words. everything he writes, or is a part of is so thoughtful and insightful, i always feel altered after reading it.
Andre
Andre marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Kenna (hoktauri)
Kenna (hoktauri) marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Momo
Momo marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Isabelle Ouyang
Isabelle Ouyang marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Fallon
Fallon marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Saul Stacey Williams is an American poet, writer, actor and musician known for his blend of poetry and hip-hop and for his leading role in the 1998 independent film Slam.
More about Saul Williams...
, said the shotgun to the head. She The Dead Emcee Scrolls: The Lost Teachings of Hip-Hop The Seventh Octave: The Early Writings of Saul Williams Dit Le Fusil De Chasse À La Tête