Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives

Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  30 reviews
While the American public is aware of the CIA’s use of highly controversial “enhanced interrogation techniques,” few know the man who, in the wake of September 11, led all U.S. counterterrorism operations and oversaw the use of those procedures—procedures that obtained vital and timely intelligence and helped safeguard the nation fro...more
Published April 30th 2012 by Threshold Editions

James
I had previously read The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda by Ali Soufan, so I was curious to read this book, as I thought it was the opposite side of coin vis a vis enhanced interrogation techniques.

After reading this book, some of my resistance to EIT has been lowered. I am glad Mr. Rodriguez has had the opportunity to set the record straight on what had previous been some bias reporting on the nature and extent of EIT. The program was far better reviewed,...more
Don Johnson
An excellent read by a good man and a man of integrity. We need more men like this in government service and fewer of those like Barack Obama.
The book complements others I have read about the CIAs role in terrorist interrogation, including those by George Bush and Dick Cheney.
Cynthia
Hard Measures is a timely book about topics (interrogation techniques including waterboarding, terrorism, detainee camps, drones) by someone who was intimately involved (head of CIA counter-terrorism division) that should be discussed and analyzed. I would have appreciated a book that presented facts, figures, history etc of these topics.

I tried to come at this book with an open mind. Torture is awful: yes; would I torture someone if it would save my loved ones from harm? yes.
Therefore: I abhor...more
M.P. McDonald
It's not the most exciting book in the world, but there is a very straightforward style of writing that I appreciated. I saw Mr. Rodriguez discussing the movie Zero Dark Thirty on a video panel discussion and wanted to read more about his angle.
Yokarine
This is a must read book! Mr. Rodriguez is a true American Hero and needs to be awarded a Nobel Peace Price. Thank you for all the sacrifices you've made to keep our country safe.

PS: Did I mention this book is a page turner?
Elke
Still opposed morally to torture.
Josh
Hard Measures covers the career of Jose Rodriquez, the former director of the CIA’s National Clandestine Service. It is as much his autobiography as it is a leadership story from the intelligence world during the War on Terrorism. He skillfully describes the steps taken in the Counter Terrorism Center after the 9-11 attacks to develop a program capable of combating al-Qaeda.

The author’s primary motivation, as revealed by the subtitle, “How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives,”...more
Rat
nhanced Interrogation as part of a HUMINT collection program works! Anyone who denies this knows nothing about interrogation or HUMINT. Jose Rodriguez is a great American Patriot. Thank God we still have a few people like this left to keep us safe. On the other hand, the book reveals what many Americans have suspected for some time: There are anti-American ideologues in the government and media, who will do everything within their power to harm the U.S. and anyone who tries to protect and defend...more
Gary Smith
Hard Measures is the story of Jose A. Rodriguez (and told by him) and his time at the CIA. Rodriguez was born in Puerto Rico, but lived in many international locations as his father’s job took him to many countries. Rodriguez attends university in the US and obtains a law degree. After graduation, he decides to join the CIA, to try to recapture some of the excitement and adventure of his youth with his many exotic travels.
The majority of story documents his many years at the CIA and how he moved...more
David Taylor
Hard Measures is exciting from beginning to end. If you want to know what really happened with the CIA "torture" chambers, you need to read this book. The difference between this book and what the media says happened is amazing, personally, I think I'll believe the guy who was there.
Richard Taylor
A good, well told account of the actions taken under the Bush administration to track down Bin Laden. Hard decisions explained by a hero of 9/11.
Erik
An oddly anemic defense of "enhanced interrogation techniques" from the former CIA director of the clandestine service who saw oversaw their use. Only perhaps a quarter of the book is actually about the question of torture and his service at the CIA. Most of the book is consumed by blistering criticism of government oversight of the Agency, Congress, the CIA Inspector General, leakers, the media and most of all their roles in the flap over videotapes of "enhanced" interrogations that he played a...more
Jo Ann
good read!
Alice
Hard Measures is a defense of CIA use of rendition and "enhanced interrogation techniques" in the aftermath of 9/11 and specifically of his decision to have videos of some interrogations destroyed. As such, the book gives unusually detailed information about the workings of the Agency's Counterterrorism Center as well as strong opinions of the actions of some US officials.
Charles Blumberg
Very good book, easy read by the man to established, got approval, and oversaw the administration of enhanced interrogation techniques. Describes why they were necessary, how they worked, how they were used, how the terrorists were not harmed by them, how the information obtained has kept Americans safe, and how they led to the capture of Osama Bin Laden.
Lisa

Very enlightening book to highlight how little is done to obtain info from terrorists. Why anyone works in intelligence with how politicized and undervalued our politicians make these positions is beyond me. So few these days willing to make courageous decisions because of politicians try to ruin your reputation and career
Anang
Unapologetic, from the trenches view of the post 9/11 national clandestine service. The best defense of the CIA's EIT methods after Marc Thiessen's "Courting Disaster".
While the Justice League was fighting green men from space, this American hero was fighting real monsters.
Benjamin
A testament to the United States and its lawful, humane treatment of detainees captured in the War on Terror. Jose Rodriquez is a nonpartisan, genuine hero who is owed immense gratitude, and certainly not what he was subjected to concerning "the tapes." This is a must read.
Karen  Fiandaca
Fred gave me this to read - if you like insider stories about the CIA this one's for you. He had an interesting life - lot of stuff about his views on "torture". Felt it could be a hesaid/she said sort of memoir? I confess I skimmed a lot....
William
Forget what the major media has told you about CIA interrogations. Listen to the guy in charge of them. Laugh when he reveals what really broke KSM and made him compliant. Water isn't involved but a long standing but simple technique is.
Joe Wisniewski
May 01, 2012 Joe Wisniewski marked it as to-read
This looks like a good read; esp. with the counter-evidence that Pelosi was fully briefed as to the interrogation techniques; contrary to her repeated vehement claims to the contrary.
James
Not in full agreement with Mr. Rodriguez on some of the "hard measures" but appreciate his service as well as his descriptions & explanations of the methods used by his agency.
Mike Arturo
I found this book to be very informative... Listening to nothing but a biased media one can jump to conclusions and I found it very interesting to hear from the other sides perspective
Stacy
This book was so blatantly biased it was not worth the read. I only chose to read it to possibly counter the content of the next book on my list The Black Banners by Ali Soufan.
Spencer
Our modern American biases confuse us on the subject of torture. Torture works. It saves lives. We should utilize it. Excellent book by a CIA Officer.
Ken Noah
Really eye opening look at how the CIA operates in regards to what the media and other govt. organizations want us to think. Good read overall.
Erika
Very interesting. It gave me a lot to chew on and a useful insight into the inner workings of the CIA.
Sherry
Very interesting and a great book to read. Passed it to my husband and have told others about it.
Farhan
Great book about the CIA and the politics at play in the organization. Jose Rodriguez is a hero.
Jean
one of those six degrees of separation reads, I know someone who knows his family. Could't resist