Start by marking “Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives” as Want to Read:
Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives

Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  38 reviews
While the American public is aware of the CIA’s use of highly controversial “enhanced interrogation techniques,” few know the man who, in the wake of September 11, led all U.S. counterterrorism operations and oversaw the use of those procedures—procedures that obtained vital and timely intelligence and helped safeguard the nation from future attacks.

Puerto Rican–born Jose
Published April 30th 2012 by Threshold Editions

To ask other readers questions about Hard Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Measures

James
I had previously read The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda by Ali Soufan, so I was curious to read this book, as I thought it was the opposite side of coin vis a vis enhanced interrogation techniques.

After reading this book, some of my resistance to EIT has been lowered. I am glad Mr. Rodriguez has had the opportunity to set the record straight on what had previous been some bias reporting on the nature and extent of EIT. The program was far better reviewed,
Don Johnson
An excellent read by a good man and a man of integrity. We need more men like this in government service and fewer of those like Barack Obama.
The book complements others I have read about the CIAs role in terrorist interrogation, including those by George Bush and Dick Cheney.
Cynthia
Hard Measures is a timely book about topics (interrogation techniques including waterboarding, terrorism, detainee camps, drones) by someone who was intimately involved (head of CIA counter-terrorism division) that should be discussed and analyzed. I would have appreciated a book that presented facts, figures, history etc of these topics.

I tried to come at this book with an open mind. Torture is awful: yes; would I torture someone if it would save my loved ones from harm? yes.
Therefore: I abhor
M.P. McDonald
It's not the most exciting book in the world, but there is a very straightforward style of writing that I appreciated. I saw Mr. Rodriguez discussing the movie Zero Dark Thirty on a video panel discussion and wanted to read more about his angle.
Yokarine
This is a must read book! Mr. Rodriguez is a true American Hero and needs to be awarded a Nobel Peace Price. Thank you for all the sacrifices you've made to keep our country safe.

PS: Did I mention this book is a page turner?
Mustang USMC
I believe that Jose Rodriguez’ book titled Hard Measures, is a valid discussion about the courage, commitment, and decisiveness of the CIA in the period following 9/11 and before the American people (and politicians) lost their courage to do whatever it takes to defeat a determined enemy and safeguard our communities.

Here we learn about our intrepid silent warriors putting themselves in harms way, only to be destroyed by politicians who, rather than looking out for America, spend millions od dol
Foxglove
Still opposed morally to torture.
Katie
An excerpt from a paper I wrote about Hard Measures:
"Reading Hard Measures was like slogging through a bad essay—you really want to get it over with, but the author just keeps droning on and talking in circles. It reminds me of a high school exam paper, where students who don’t actually know the answers to the questions, so they (and excuse my language) bullshit their way through it with enough to make it seem like they have at least an inkling of what they’re talking about. I mean, Rodriguez op
Josh
Hard Measures covers the career of Jose Rodriquez, the former director of the CIA’s National Clandestine Service. It is as much his autobiography as it is a leadership story from the intelligence world during the War on Terrorism. He skillfully describes the steps taken in the Counter Terrorism Center after the 9-11 attacks to develop a program capable of combating al-Qaeda.

The author’s primary motivation, as revealed by the subtitle, “How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives,”
Rat
nhanced Interrogation as part of a HUMINT collection program works! Anyone who denies this knows nothing about interrogation or HUMINT. Jose Rodriguez is a great American Patriot. Thank God we still have a few people like this left to keep us safe. On the other hand, the book reveals what many Americans have suspected for some time: There are anti-American ideologues in the government and media, who will do everything within their power to harm the U.S. and anyone who tries to protect and defend ...more
Gary
Hard Measures is the story of Jose A. Rodriguez (and told by him) and his time at the CIA. Rodriguez was born in Puerto Rico, but lived in many international locations as his father’s job took him to many countries. Rodriguez attends university in the US and obtains a law degree. After graduation, he decides to join the CIA, to try to recapture some of the excitement and adventure of his youth with his many exotic travels.
The majority of story documents his many years at the CIA and how he moved
Lisa
Further reading:

Here's the Senate Committee's report of an investigation started after Rodriguez reportedly destroyed at least 100 tapes of interrogations and was accused of lying to a Senate committee and covering up illegal activities.

CIA report PDF
CIA report text
Debra
An interesting look into the life of a CIA agent. I appreciated the facts about waterboarding- the technique, the limited application, and its effectiveness. I thank him for his service and pray that other men who can act in upright ways follow. The way these people are hounded and second guessed makes you wonder why anyone would want this kind of job. If Congress had a smidge of his character we would be in a better place.
David Taylor
Hard Measures is exciting from beginning to end. If you want to know what really happened with the CIA "torture" chambers, you need to read this book. The difference between this book and what the media says happened is amazing, personally, I think I'll believe the guy who was there.
Richard Taylor
A good, well told account of the actions taken under the Bush administration to track down Bin Laden. Hard decisions explained by a hero of 9/11.
Megan
Interesting read regardless of your political stance on enhanced interrogation techniques. The book is a bit repeatitive.
Karen
This book does ring true. Not like a lot of books and movies about the CIA that are made for Hollywood....
Jo Ann
good read!
Alice
Hard Measures is a defense of CIA use of rendition and "enhanced interrogation techniques" in the aftermath of 9/11 and specifically of his decision to have videos of some interrogations destroyed. As such, the book gives unusually detailed information about the workings of the Agency's Counterterrorism Center as well as strong opinions of the actions of some US officials.
Charles Blumberg
Very good book, easy read by the man to established, got approval, and oversaw the administration of enhanced interrogation techniques. Describes why they were necessary, how they worked, how they were used, how the terrorists were not harmed by them, how the information obtained has kept Americans safe, and how they led to the capture of Osama Bin Laden.
Lisa

Very enlightening book to highlight how little is done to obtain info from terrorists. Why anyone works in intelligence with how politicized and undervalued our politicians make these positions is beyond me. So few these days willing to make courageous decisions because of politicians try to ruin your reputation and career
Anang
Unapologetic, from the trenches view of the post 9/11 national clandestine service. The best defense of the CIA's EIT methods after Marc Thiessen's "Courting Disaster".
While the Justice League was fighting green men from space, this American hero was fighting real monsters.
Benjamin
A testament to the United States and its lawful, humane treatment of detainees captured in the War on Terror. Jose Rodriquez is a nonpartisan, genuine hero who is owed immense gratitude, and certainly not what he was subjected to concerning "the tapes." This is a must read.
Karen  Fiandaca
Fred gave me this to read - if you like insider stories about the CIA this one's for you. He had an interesting life - lot of stuff about his views on "torture". Felt it could be a hesaid/she said sort of memoir? I confess I skimmed a lot....
William
Forget what the major media has told you about CIA interrogations. Listen to the guy in charge of them. Laugh when he reveals what really broke KSM and made him compliant. Water isn't involved but a long standing but simple technique is.
Joe Wisniewski
May 01, 2012 Joe Wisniewski marked it as to-read
This looks like a good read; esp. with the counter-evidence that Pelosi was fully briefed as to the interrogation techniques; contrary to her repeated vehement claims to the contrary.
James
Not in full agreement with Mr. Rodriguez on some of the "hard measures" but appreciate his service as well as his descriptions & explanations of the methods used by his agency.
Mike Arturo
I found this book to be very informative... Listening to nothing but a biased media one can jump to conclusions and I found it very interesting to hear from the other sides perspective
Stacy
This book was so blatantly biased it was not worth the read. I only chose to read it to possibly counter the content of the next book on my list The Black Banners by Ali Soufan.
  • Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts
  • That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
  • Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law
  • The Art of Intelligence
  • The Human Factor: Inside the CIA's Dysfunctional Intelligence Culture
  • Good Hunting: An American Spymaster's Story
  • Failures of the Presidents: from the Whiskey Rebellion and War of 1812 to the Bay of Pigs and War in Iraq
  • Farewell to Prague
  • Hit List: An In-Depth Investigation into the Mysterious Deaths of Witnesses to the JFK Assassination
  • Never the Hope Itself: Love and Ghosts in Latin America and Haiti
  • City of Dust: Illness, Arrogance, and 9/11
  • Egypt on the Brink: From Nasser to Mubarak
  • Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism
  • The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken
  • Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking
  • A Russian Diary: A Journalist's Final Account of Life, Corruption & Death in Putin's Russia
  • The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror